• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

All the exciting fighting game reveals always happen during my work week. By the time I got wind of a new Mortal Kombat X trailer, my shift was about to start.

Gotta wait until the morning...with any luck, tomorrow will have even more fighting goodness.

Kimosabae

Banned
Does anyone still give two shits about Suda 51? Serious question. When has attaching his name to anything ever been an effective marketing tool? The fact that publishers give this guy money to develop a string of titles someone like me would never want to play is baffling.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Capcom
Namco
Square Enix
Konami

To think at one time they were juggernauts in the gaming industry. Now they have less stage presence than some of those newer indie studios.

they deserve those damn lackluster positions, hope they go bankrupt for all I care. they only listen to themselves and the "mobile" market.

Does anyone still give two shits about Suda 51? Serious question. When has attaching his name to anything ever been an effective marketing tool? The fact that publishers give this guy money to develop a string of titles someone like me would never want to play is baffling.

I was literally thinking this when I saw the game. Stop giving the guy money, the games he makes are horrible, in my opinion.

Dahbomb

Suda51 is the NT of Japan.

Although I was kinda interested in that Lily Bergamo game from last year's TGS.

The Light

Well his name got me interested in Let It Die seeing as there was no gameplay.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FGC-GAF trying to decide on a thread title for next week:

Iqa0DRE.gif

SE still makes good handheld games. :/

Like what?

No but to me it sounds like an Xbox thing. As in "Did you play that new Suda 51 game on Xbox? No? Me either."

But it probably seemed important for Sony to have their Suda game too.

Lemstar

oh

Dahbomb

I am waiting a few days until E3 is over before going in on Capcom hard.

The pop off is going to be so absurd I might get banned for it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So USFIV for PSNow was the big new fighting game announcement from Capcom?

I feel like any news from Capcom is better than nothing at this point. They've been dead fighting games wise with not announcing anything new.

I am waiting a few days until E3 is over before going in on Capcom hard.

The pop off is going to be so absurd I might get banned for it.

I'll join you, it'll be #gafranbats status.

Kimosabae

Banned

While I don't play a lot of games, I consume a lot of news. I'm part of a real demographic
there are dozens of us!!
. If someone like me has never even had an interest in trying one of your games, you are beyond niche. Like, you're in the microcosmic precincts of the Deejay clique at a Street Fighter cosplay convention.

Dahbomb

While I don't play a lot of games, I consume a lot of news. I'm part of a real demographic
there are dozens of us!!
. If someone like me has never even had an interest in trying one of your games, you are beyond niche. Like, you're in the microcosmic precincts of the Deejay clique at a Street Fighter cosplay convention.
There is no doubt that Suda51 appeals to a very niche audience. All of the Suda51 games I played were pretty fucked up thematically and usually featured various incompetent game mechanics.

Some people seem to think he is a game developer genius and is just misunderstood or gamers just lack the proper appreciation for his works. I think his best is Clock Tower though.

Rhapsody

Banned
somebody needs to ask them if that's an E3 thing or permanent. Would be really hilarious if it wasn't permanent.

I'm going to be really disappointed if that isn't permanent.

It took a whole gen for Capcom to add in easy button mapping at the select screen and for ASW to put in a rematch option (if it stays).

Features that both series had in the past :/

Kimosabae

Banned
There is no doubt that Suda51 appeals to a very niche audience. All of the Suda51 games I played were pretty fucked up thematically and usually featured various incompetent game mechanics.

Some people seem to think he is a game developer genius and is just misunderstood or gamers just lack the proper appreciation for his works. I think his best is Clock Tower though.

Bomb, you're about as dry as that TJ Combo trailer.

You probably laughed once, and it made you impotent.

Embrace the hyperbole.

The Light

Other than the gameplay right?

Just noticed there was some gameplay after watching, but really nothing to tell much about it. I find suda51's games to be interesting but always some flawed mechanic which i can look past.

Watching Ultrachen and p4u hud doesn't bother me much as it did before. Idk if its the stage or because im not watching an arcade vid on youtube, but the hud looks ok to me.

Village

Capcom
Namco
Square Enix
Konami

To think at one time they were juggernauts in the gaming industry. Now they have less stage presence than some of those newer indie studios.

They didn't have anything to show.... ?

Dahbomb

I feel like a Capcom + Konami merger is possible in the future. We already have Square Enix, Tecmo Koei and Namco Bandai.

Phantom Dust, MGSV, Scalebound, and Bloodborne are probably four of the most exciting titles at E3.

MGSV was shown like a year ago, it's not new. Phantom Dust and Scalebound were showcased via CG trailer... not really sure how you can call that exciting.

I would give you Bloodborne but mostly because we have at least seen some leaked game play footage but honestly the Japanese industry is being kept relevant by the Souls games and Platinum games plus occasional games from the big developers (Capcom, Konami, Sega, Namco, SE etc). It's nothing to write home about considering at E3 2005 Capcom had 4 next gen games announced (Lost Planet, Dead Rising, DMC4 and RE5).

And I am being extremely reserved right now because I know E3 isn't over. There is potentially more stuff to be revealed so we will wait and see I guess. Right now it's not looking good for those listed companies.

Kumubou

I feel like a Capcom + Konami merger is possible in the future. We already have Square Enix, Tecmo Koei and Namco Bandai.
Wasn't there talk about this happening about a decade ago?

Besides, at this point Konami doesn't need to merge with anyone -- their sports clubs make far more money than their videogames do at this point. If anything, they would just walk away from videogames altogether -- and they may as well already have. How many development teams do they even have anymore? There's KojiPro, Football Studio (PES), Bemani Studio (their music-rhythm games), and...?

Dahbomb

Wasn't there talk about this happening about a decade ago?

Besides, at this point Konami doesn't need to merge with anyone -- their sports clubs make far more money than their videogames do at this point. If anything, they would just walk away from videogames altogether -- and they may as well already have. How many development teams do they even have anymore? There's KojiPro, Football Studio (PES), Bemani Studio (their music-rhythm games), and...?
The studio that makes those Castlevania games?

Sayah

Capcom
Namco
Square Enix
Konami

You forgot Sega.
In order of superiority, I would rank them as such presently.

1. Namco (Notable games: T6, TTT2, SCV). Bonus points for publishing Souls series and continuing to bring more rpgs when other companies weren't willing to (i.e. Tales iterations, Project X Zone, Ni No Kuni, Eternal Sonata, Fragile, etc).

2. Capcom (Notable games: SSFIV, UMvC3, Dragon's Dogma, RE5). Negative points for being such a mess with DLC.......and spelling and grammar.

3. Sega (Notable games: Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter 5). Bonus points for publishing support for Bayonetta. Negative points for almost cancelling Bayonetta 2.

4. Konami (Notable games: Haven't played it but everyone seems to like Metal Gear Solid IV. Nothing else besides that I guess).

5. Square Enix (Notable games: Handheld titles which I do not care for). What a drop in quality. Let's release FFXIII updates the entire generation without doing anything else. Hoping FFXV and KH3 can bring them back into shape.

Top Bottom