• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Smash was completely underwhelming. Mii stuff was cool.. until they fixed it in rigid character archetypese. NFC stuff was cool.. until it was just used to spawn AI. Tease/Dark Pit/whatever at the end sucked. 3DS modes were cool.. until they decided they didn't even want to spend time on a single one of them.

Hopefully there are more reveals later today, perhaps some characters from the Gematsu leak.

Onemic

Whelp not getting smash on 3DS, too anime.

they showed gameplay footage of smash bros 3DS?

And ya, Nintendo's looking like it was the strongest. MS second, and Sony in dead last. Complete reversal of what I expected.

Overall though, I don't think any of the conferences were that strong tbh, which is surprising given the situation of being the E3 after two of the three console makers next-gen consoles have released.

Beckx

I am like 180 degrees opposite of enzo. I like the Mii implementation and Palutena being real and damn near everything!

Infinite

Smash was completely underwhelming. Mii stuff was cool.. until they fixed it in rigid character archetypese. NFC stuff was cool.. until it was just used to spawn AI. Tease/Dark Pit/whatever at the end sucked. 3DS modes were cool.. until they decided they didn't even want to spend time on a single one of them.

Hopefully there are more reveals later today, perhaps some characters from the Gematsu leak.

you sound kinda jaded. Can't imagine mii characters NOT being locked in character archetypes. I honestly don't like create-a-characters in fighting games so the whole thing all together doesn't appeal to me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
you sound kinda jaded. Can't imagine mii characters NOT being locked in character archetypes. I honestly don't like create-a-characters in fighting games so the whole thing all together doesn't appeal to me.
Miis are create-a-characters already. To take things a step further, they already put eggs in the create-a-character basket when they unveiled custom movesets a while ago. Might as well go the full 9 yards.

While watching the conference with a few of my buddies, we thought, wouldn't it be cool if you could either apply movesets from existing characters that are appropriate for some custom Miis you make (i.e. give Batman a Captain Falcon moveset), or just pick using a points system to make your own characters, but nah. I suppose I'm asking for too much work, but it seems a bit dissonant for me. And then right after was the unequivocally underwhelming NFC stuff unless they've yet to announce SP/Custom Moveset integration.

onionfrog

$100 smash bundle with game, GCN adapter, and one gamecube controller.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06...-controller-and-smash-bundle-pricing-revealed
Nice!
The individual $29.99 pricing for GC controllers is pretty wack though. They got down to $20 MSRP when the gamecube was still current. It's a non-issue for me since I've still got my 4 gamecube controllers.

Good price point for the adapter itself.

Nintendo's conference was really good. I'll need to get a Wii U by the end of the year for sure.

Nice!
The individual $29.99 pricing for GC controllers is pretty wack though. They got down to $20 MSRP when the gamecube was still current. It's a non-issue for me since I've still got my 4 gamecube controllers.

Good price point for the adapter itself.

The white GCN controller I just bought was about $50. :'(

Dahbomb

they showed gameplay footage of smash bros 3DS?

And ya, Nintendo's looking like it was the strongest. MS second, and Sony in dead last. Complete reversal of what I expected.

Overall though, I don't think any of the conferences were that strong tbh, which is surprising given the situation of being the E3 after two of the three console makers next-gen consoles have released.
Same as my impression only I honestly don't feel that Sony was dead last. They did after all have Bloodborne, LBP3 and Uncharted 4 at the conference which is about equivalent to what Microsoft presented in terms of exclusive content.

All of the conferences this year were solid but not spectacular. Like at this E3 I felt that getting a new gen console in 2014 is still too early and people should just wait until 2015 for the good shit.

And another take away... it seems that I should just get a Wii U in advance for when Capcom doesn't have enough money to make a DMC5 and Nintendo has to "save"/money hat the DMC franchise.

Reposting re: Palutena:

I SAW THE DARK HOLE
I SAW THE CAPTAIN CORRIDOR
I SAW THE 3D0C
I SAW CHAOTIC FLAME
I SAW THE TELEPORT

YES!

Definite main unless Ganondorf gets revamped. If this is some Invoker stuff where I can change her moves on the fly, GODDAMN.

LOL @ Enzo calling that underwhelming. Baby, we have hours of Smash left today. Set your hype to nuclear.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EA was the only sub-par conference.

But yeah, let's stay away from general E3 talk in this thread before Shouta falcon knees us into Community.

LOL @ Enzo calling that underwhelming. Baby, we have hours of Smash left today. Set your hype to nuclear.
I'll have you know I've had Kid Icarus Uprising sitting here unplayed for months and I have no intention of touching it again.

Infinite

I found my self genuinely excited with the nintendo press conference all together. A lot of games in that I actually want to play

K.Sabot

Smash is looking better as a mechanical game.

Still slow, but looks like it has some compelling systems.

Tournament with actual gameplay and hud will turn my tide one way or the other.

Clawww

we need a separate FGW where can really discuss our fantasies and dreams: a place for capcom all stars, marvel patches, and deejays

Dahbomb

I wasn't really that impressed by the Smash stuff either (the Mii character does nothing for me although Palutena looks cool) but the other Nintendo stuff was legit. With their backs against the walls they actually pulled something worthwhile out of their butts.

I'll have you know I've had Kid Icarus Uprising sitting here unplayed for months and I have no intention of touching it again.
FFS Enzo, can you get any worse in your gaming habits?

I wasn't really that impressed by the Smash stuff either (the Mii character does nothing for me although Palutena looks cool) but the other Nintendo stuff was legit. With their backs against the walls they actually pulled something worthwhile out of their butts.
I think the Mii was introduced at the start to get something that might disappoint some people out of the way. You don't want to end with that, you know? Smart move IMO.

No Pokken but Smash stuff looks cool. Nintendo did good by me today.

I have a feeling we'll at least see one more character announced today, maybe even two. It would be a HUGE missed opportunity not to announce another character or two at the invitational.

Is that Smash bundle up for pre-order anywere? I really want to get Smash digitally, but that sounds like a nice deal.

Dahbomb

I also think that ending your conference with just the reveal of a character in an already announced game is kinda eh. Compared to Microsoft and Sony who ended their conference with Crackdown 3 and Uncharted 4, that's just not as impressive.

Unless you include the Miyamoto "game"...

we need a separate FGW where can really discuss our fantasies and dreams: a place for capcom all stars, marvel patches, and deejays
Community?
Through fair and unbias scoring the final scores for e3 are:
MS 40
Sony 9
Nintendo 52

Sony would have been -1 but they mentioned Neogaf
How is NeoGAF shoutout worth positive points instead of like -100 for being cringeworthy

Also I too have had KIU just sitting here unplayed

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I also think that ending your conference with just the reveal of a character in an already announced game is kinda eh. Compared to Microsoft and Sony who ended their conference with Crackdown 3 and Uncharted 4, that's just not as impressive.

It wouldn't have been a problem if the character was Pac-Man or something like that.

And doesn't Nintendo end it's digital events/directs with Smash reveals often?

I think of Splatoon as the game they "ended" their conference with, to be honest, as it was their last full game reveal shown.

And in that case, they had a pretty darn good last game!

Salex_

Damn. Where the hell is Guilty Gear Xrd? It's getting 0 E3 coverage. No E3 trailer/mention at the Sony's conference (arty small indie games got more stage time. GG wasn't even in any of those sizzles and it's coming out this fall LOL), no interviews, and no new information. I gotta wonder if Daisuke didn't he didn't want the game shown at the conference. If not, Sony really fucked up.

Still hoping we get a new trailer this week revealing a new character.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think opening with Smash, considering how ehh and predictable the Mii stuff wasn't the best way to go. In some respects, I don't think anything gets people as excited as Smash does, despite what the content actually is. And let's be real, people were watching for Smash first and foremost, and potential surprises later.

I would have organized the event a bit differently. Zelda out the gate, save Smash for the end, but the middle portion was a great mix of old and new
and not much 3DS.
. I'm just happy it wasn't a redux of the frontloaded Sony conference, and was fairly concise, even though it's annoying now trying to scrape up information for everything they didn't feel deserved time.

LOL, you think Pac-Man > Palutena as an ender? You are nuts man.
Well duh. One character is more important, well-known, and more anticipated than the other. Hint: That character is not Palutena.

Top Bottom