• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

Riposte

We must band around Anime, they will never betray us.

az3q8496oxj2.jpg

JeTmAn81

Great post. Absolutely epic.

It's the classic business problem of short-term vs. long-term strategy. Making great games not right now but when they've had enough dev time to become great, means sacrificing profit in the short-term and potentially upsetting your investors. But the companies that do this successfully are the ones that last.

Bizazedo

Y'all are panicking.

Eh.

I think it should be approached more along the lines of what GuardianE said. Be angry / provide a backlash, but don't go nuts over it. I.e., quitting the genre now?. Hyperbole and idiotic.

Hell, despite my annoyed reaction, my mind is more on the Battlefield Hardline / Destiny Betas / Alphas and Heroes of the Storm alpha.

Capcom's top brass are morons, we've known that for years and years.

If Ono and Ayano come up on stage at Evo 2015 with P2W mechanics, then start raging.

Or rage, bitch and moan now before they show up on a stage with P2W mechanics.

I honestly don't think that will happen. The SF team at Capcom have enough experience to know better now after SFxT.

If the SF team actually does what they tried with SFxT in simplifying the gameplay whilst keeping it SF, they'll do well.

Hell, the can solve the 1f problem via doing something as simple as "during the last 25% of a normal's total time (startup+active+recovery), hold another button for that normal to come out on the first frame afterward".

BOOM, the link problem is sorted, no more dropped links and blockstrings due to online. That's just one way they can solve it (another is avoiding links, another is via more weird engine shenanigans like plinking and blinking).

casperOne

Do I give the impression of a Bridget die-hard

See my previous post about the thread being flooded by Bridget talk. It wasn't directed at you specifically. Sorry if you interpreted it that way.

I know it comes across as senseless shilling, but Ono is wearing an official shirt my friend and I made, and at E3 none the less. This marks the achievement of a life goal. Share in my happiness.

So Street Fighter, So Happy.

Congrats, this shirt is fabulous. The design just fits.

For example, Marvel 3 looks fast on stream but is a fairly manageable clip when playing it. That's because of they've often sped the captured video footage up while streaming which basically is the equivalent of watching it on fast forward.

This definitely doesn't happen, unless you're talking about trailers and promo clips.

Agreed, for livestreams it's impossible to do this, you'd eventually speed up past the current point in time (unless you started mad late).

Additionally, you'd have to speed up everyrhing, not just gameplay (so that things like commentary would be in sync) and that would lead to obvious distortions in the broadcast.

Y'all are panicking.

Agreed. Free to play? I don't care. Flick the option that allows that in matches to "off".

Also, there won't be any way to load this information onto consoles in a tournament setting anyways (no internet, no cards).

I'm not concerned. It's high-level talks about what is currently vaporware.

I don't want 1-frame links but I suppose you can have characters that are beginner friendly.
I want a combo trainer/better tutorial.
I want to watch a match and then replay to see if I can do that combo and the game shows me the timing of the combo.

I just want to have fun honestly.

lol its really hard to have a game without 1-2 frame links.

As long as you have moves that are + on hit and moves thats are fast enough to go in those frames you have links.

You can negate the usage of 1framers by having normals cancel into each other though

Krackatoa

lol its really hard to have a game without 1-2 frame links.

As long as you have moves that are + on hit and moves thats are fast enough to go in those frames you have links.

You can negate the usage of 1framers by having normals cancel into each other though

Input Buffer.

Links are made much wider. Will have minimum windows depending on the move. Height-specific juggles may still have tiny windows.

Dahbomb

I don't think people are against 1F links, they just want a system that makes them easier to perform like some sort of buffer system.

Infinite

I'm against 1-frame links as a requirement for "basic" fucking bnbs that you are required to perform at the bare minimum of competition.

Dahbomb

The SFxT method ended up making the risk/reward on whiffed moves completely crazy since people were getting full combos off a single whiff punish. I'd rather they keep those in DS/Marvel.
You have that in SF4 as well. Someone like Viper can do cr.MK TK Red Focus combo as a whiff punish. Same thing for someone like Evil Ryu with FADC combos.

Seyavesh

there's an arbitrary execution point that bothers people, but high level competitive execution should and is a real thing and a major deciding factor in both character design and actual player decision making

it's actually a pretty big highlight of why people like sf2 over sf4 on a casual level, i think

the core flow of the game isn't centric around being able to execute the bare minimum punish/conversion off stuff into knockdown setup shit, but rather the standing game which is more in line with what people see in 'street fighter'

like you can get by doing pretty simple combos as your jumpin/crossup. at lower levels you can also get by using throws as your primary punish because of the more lenient method of input timing required (you can mash teh shit out of throw) and high dmg.

those people who complain about 1f links and how there shouldn't be any are generally complaining about not being able to break that 'arbitrary' execution barrier, whether it's 1f links or 5f links or whatever. the chain system was definitely developed to address this idea, but chains create a whole different kind of game in themselves and drastically change things up. umm, basically the way i see it is that you can design a street fighter style game to have less requirement to get into a -competitive- level by changing the design, rather than the execution requirement so there's less of a feel of 'arbitrary execution' '1f links' kinda deal. approaching it by making execution overall easier (edit: in certain ways!) can have drastic effects on the whole game that are hard to determine because it changes the risk/reward of buttons and whatnot moreso than overall system/character design that can be planned out from the start

or something, idk. im not good at these games but that's how i feel~

kirblar

You have that in SF4 as well. Someone like Viper can do cr.MK TK Red Focus combo as a whiff punish. Same thing for someone like Evil Ryu with FADC combos.
Yeah, it requires meter and the right positioning though. Like how sometimes all you can do is sweep them, sometimes they eat an Ultra. This was "whiff anything, chain into a tag or launch combo pretty much 100% of the time"

Just played first game of Smash 4 guys...4 players 1 game, win or lose back of the line. Lots of asking for preorders.

Going to wait till I leave before I give impressions. But so far...meh.

Krackatoa

Yeah, it requires meter and the right positioning though. Like how sometimes all you can do is sweep them, sometimes they eat an Ultra. This was "whiff anything, chain into a tag or launch combo pretty much 100% of the time"

I played Cammy/Dudley a lot. My game versus a lot of characters hinged on poke OS.

Just played first game of Smash 4 guys...4 players 1 game, win or lose back of the line. Lots of asking for preorders.

Honestly, I feel like Smash solved the accessibility issue. One button -> One action. Still loads of room to grow as a player. The pace of the game doesn't lag if players pick up a controller for the first time. This is a far cry from PSAllStars, where games could go for ages because newbies take forever to build meter and whiff supers all over the place.

I have no bias against 1f links b/c plinking is in the game. Plus I mean you can get away with a stand fierce into special as a punish in sf4. I would just like some easier way of doing combos into dp with sagat/adon

alstein

there's an arbitrary execution point that bothers people, but high level competitive execution should and is a real thing and a major deciding factor in both character design and actual player decision making

it's actually a pretty big highlight of why people like sf2 over sf4 on a casual level, i think

the core flow of the game isn't centric around being able to execute the bare minimum punish/conversion off stuff into knockdown setup shit, but rather the standing game which is more in line with what people see in 'street fighter'

like you can get by doing pretty simple combos as your jumpin/crossup. at lower levels you can also get by using throws as your primary punish because of the more lenient method of input timing required (you can mash teh shit out of throw) and high dmg.

those people who complain about 1f links and how there shouldn't be any are generally complaining about not being able to break that 'arbitrary' execution barrier, whether it's 1f links or 5f links or whatever. the chain system was definitely developed to address this idea, but chains create a whole different kind of game in themselves and drastically change things up. umm, basically the way i see it is that you can design a street fighter style game to have less requirement to get into a -competitive- level by changing the design, rather than the execution requirement so there's less of a feel of 'arbitrary execution' '1f links' kinda deal. approaching it by making execution overall easier (edit: in certain ways!) can have drastic effects on the whole game that are hard to determine because it changes the risk/reward of buttons and whatnot moreso than overall system/character design that can be planned out from the start

or something, idk. im not good at these games but that's how i feel~

Even without arbitrary execution, the high level competitive execution barriers develop naturally. That's fine.

Poorly designed stuff like SF4's input system should be punishable by flogging. Nearly all of SF4's issues can be tied to the input system and poor decisions made years ago.

It's not universal though. In SF4, it's unique to only a few characters. In SFxT, everybody could connect a normal into 400 damage with meter and their other character.

As for the pay to win strategy. Well I am kind of jealous that Sakura and Akuma got far fierce cancel and Evil Ryu didn't so how much is that going to cost me?

kirblar

Even without arbitrary execution, the high level competitive execution barriers develop naturally. That's fine.

Poorly designed stuff like SF4's input system should be punishable by flogging. Nearly all of SF4's issues can be tied to the input system and poor decisions made years ago.
Seeing guys like Justin, Ricky and Rog all whiffing Ultras/links in the middle of high-level matchups isn't fun for anyone other than their opponent.

Kimosabae

Banned
Viper's cr. MK isn't a good example. It's still garbage as a footsie tool. Most cases where you manage to hit with the tip is at a range where medium TK will whiff.

Seyavesh

yeah, i'm not against easing execution barriers but i'm not sure how one would go about it in a way that wouldn't drastically affect the core game too.

designing the core game to where execution is important but not as much of a deciding factor is more along the solution line i'm addressing

also it's really funny that ultra drops are used as an argument against execution when it's actually like kind of a huge example for why execution is a core part of the human side of fighting games. even basic stuff like that can still be dropped because of nerves, and that risk/reward will always exist because it's a fundamental aspect of making fighting games interesting

the opposite is marvel 3 lightning loops by competent players, for what it's worth

edit: actually re-reading what kirblar said i'm retarded and disregard what i said as a reply to that because if it's an input glitch then lol jesus christ capcom

kirblar

yeah, i'm not against easing execution barriers but i'm not sure how one would go about it in a way that wouldn't drastically affect the core game too.

designing the core game to where execution is important but not as much of a deciding factor is more along the solution line i'm addressing

also it's really funny that ultra drops are used as an argument against execution when it's actually like kind of a huge example for why execution is a core part of the human side of fighting games. even basic stuff like that can still be dropped because of nerves, and that risk/reward will always exist because it's a fundamental aspect of making fighting games interesting

the opposite is marvel 3 lightning loops by competent players, for what it's worth

edit: actually re-reading what kirblar said i'm retarded and disregard what i said as a reply to that because if it's an input glitch then lol jesus christ capcom
I think it's a bit of both - the issue is that putting the barrier from low->medium level play at a point where FADC->Ultra is mandatory leaves an enormous amount of people in the cold who straight up don't have the execution skills to do it. Red Focus has been enormously helpful for giving lower-level players access to their Ultras who otherwise couldn't pull it off.

You want the drops to be "used wrong combo" or "blatant screwup", not "input glitch" or "requires inhuman reflexes/Keno Eye."

alstein

Skullgirls did a good job of this.

SFA2 did a good job of this.

You are always going to have drops, the problem is SF4 input was tailor-mode for tons of OS's and confusing/overlapping inputs, combined with a huge penalty for missing links. (In ST, you miss a link the opponent didn't mash a reversal on you)

Top Bottom