• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

de1irium

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";116015747]Plinking is already baby-mode accessibility.[/QUOTE]

Plinking doesn't solve any execution problems for people who have execution problems.

casperOne

Oh gosh, I didn't mean it that way.

haha, I know, I was just screwing around given the opportunity.

Casper, do you hit one-frame links consistently? How do people do it (minus putting in select buttons on their controller)

I'd love to just play consistently, but my current time is spent on OFL-related projects/implementations that it's difficult to get any time in.

But trust me when I say you'll see the fruits of this labor soon enough.

I'm looking at you Tik-Tok.

I'll give GAF this; if it wasn't for the conversation that inspired me to do what I'm doing now, I wouldn't be able to even propose the things I'm proposing to people.

I know it's cryptic, but all will be clear soon enough.

Edit: Dahbomb check your PMs?

Onemic

2 frame links are too easy though. There needs to be some 1 frame links.

I'd only be ok with 1 frame links(and when I say 1 or 2 frame links I don't mean plink able shit) if it's a thing that's not central to your character. Something like feis 1 frame link into remake on crouching characters or Elena's 1 frame links on almost literally every combo she does is beyond stupid and puts an unneeded high execution barrier to do well.

Guilty gear for example is always talked about for having very high execution and yet I don't think there's a single FRC in the game that's a 1 framer.(exception maybe goes to I-no) there are ways to make you have to work to get the most out of your character without putting in 1frame links.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Posted? Bunch of HD screenshots of MKX here.

11_mkxscreenshot03.jpg

Whatever the AA solution they're using is, it's making the game look very sweet and crisp.

Shouta

This definitely doesn't happen, unless you're talking about trailers and promo clips.

Agreed, for livestreams it's impossible to do this, you'd eventually speed up past the current point in time (unless you started mad late).

Additionally, you'd have to speed up everyrhing, not just gameplay (so that things like commentary would be in sync) and that would lead to obvious distortions in the broadcast.

My bad. I should've been clearer. I don't actually mean sped up in the video sense, but in the sense of the gameplay, as in it looks faster than it actually is.My original comment made you think post-processing FPS changes which is different.

What I mean is that as a result of video processing, the frame rate of the video can change. This causes a difference in how the output is visually for someone viewing it and can cause it to look faster, slower, jankier, etc than if you were looking at the game directly. It's more noticeable with fast games or high-content games as you need more frames to process the information correctly. It's kind of hard to show online but I do think there's a noticeable difference for Marvel in person and Marvel videos that were captured/streamed. You'd need to basically overcompensate to make it up, as I recall. Also key frames are pretty important, I think but it's been awhile since I had to do any serious encoding.

Marvel is a relatively fast game with a lot of stuff going on and suffers as a result from this peculiarity with video. I watch Marvel on occasion or watch in person and it always amazes me that it looks far more normal in person than it does on stream. I had always wondered until I remembered some of my old encoding knowledge. Gundam is another game that doesn't get encoded correctly often because of its raw speed and busy-ness. So it often doesn't convey how good looking or smooth the game is but as a side effect, it moves so fast that it's nigh incomprehensible at times.

At any rate, the change in frame rate in the initial capturing process is the big thing. That doesn't have too much of a bearing on commentary as that's muxed in separately and time-based. A pretty good example is watching TV shows and then watching them online after they've been captured. There's a pretty noticeable difference and all that. I think they used frame tricks for the Hobbit recently too? But I forgot.

That's my understanding based on my limited knowledge on video encoding though, lol.

My bad. I should've been clearer. I don't actually mean sped up in the video sense, but in the sense of the gameplay, as in it looks faster than it actually is.My original comment made you think post-processing FPS changes which is different.

What I mean is that as a result of video processing, the frame rate of the video can change. This causes a difference in how the output is visually for someone viewing it and can cause it to look faster, slower, jankier, etc than if you were looking at the game directly. It's more noticeable with fast games or high-content games as you need more frames to process the information correctly. It's kind of hard to show online but I do think there's a noticeable difference for Marvel in person and Marvel videos that were captured/streamed. You'd need to basically overcompensate to make it up, as I recall. Also key frames are pretty important, I think but it's been awhile since I had to do any serious encoding.

Marvel is a relatively fast game with a lot of stuff going on and suffers as a result from this peculiarity with video. I watch Marvel on occasion or watch in person and it always amazes me that it looks far more normal in person than it does on stream. I had always wondered until I remembered some of my old encoding knowledge. Gundam is another game that doesn't get encoded correctly often because of its raw speed and busy-ness. So it often doesn't convey how good looking or smooth the game is but as a side effect, it moves so fast that it's nigh incomprehensible at times.

At any rate, the change in frame rate in the initial capturing process is the big thing. That doesn't have too much of a bearing on commentary as that's muxed in separately and time-based. A pretty good example is watching TV shows and then watching them online after they've been captured. There's a pretty noticeable difference and all that. I think they used frame tricks for the Hobbit recently too? But I forgot.

That's my understanding based on my limited knowledge on video encoding though, lol.

I think that goes for most games. There's a noticeable difference between watching a game on youtube/stream versus seeing it in person.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
they should put an xtreme mode in SFV where every single link in the entire game is 1F, and thats the mode every tournament has to be played on.

then the babies can have their 2-3+ frame links in the normal mode.

i await my check in the mail, capcom.

Azure J

You mean like PSAS?

well there was PSABR.

Damn, Kimosabae beat me to this:
That's why people were so excited about PSAS. Problem was that Superbot was so desperate to not look like they were completely aping the Smash series that they made a bromidic and lifeless video game.

If I had anything to add, it's that if Sony really wanted to avoid how PSAS turned out, they could have either dropped the "All Stars" angle and just created a new roster for this new game (thus giving it an immediate original identity from the jump) or they could have accepted that they'd be in this "platform fighter" game sharing the same ideas as Smash much like how Street Fighter and King of Fighters coexist in the same genre.

I don't think they understand the money, because you need to understand games to be a successful company. Capcom, despite being right next to Nintendo in the catalogue of famous IPs and characters, has fallen into economic hardship multiple times. There's no reason for that outside of the continually abyssmal IP decisions made by corporate heads. I'm not even talking about Marvel here. I'm talking about neglecting major IPs, overfunding projects that have no hope of being popular, understaffing the big money makers, and throwing IPs that are currently successful under the bus. It's a systematic problem within the company that reflects a lack of understanding. I don't even know how it's possible for a company to be so out of touch with its fanbase that they think Americans don't like Megaman.

A host of talented developers at Capcom have kept the ship afloat despite corporate decision-making. They've lost major talent like the Darkstalkers developers, Kamiya, Mikami, and Inafune. Nintendo doesn't have this problem. Can anyone even imagine a Nintendo veteran leaving? Nintendo understands games, even if it has been misled in its decision-making in the past. Even Takahashi said that when he went to Nintendo execs and said he had to cut a ton of content from Xenoblade because of deadlines, the guys above him said to just keep working to make the game he wanted to make, and they would give him the time. On the other hand, you have someone like Niitsuma who wanted to add 20 characters in UMvC3, but Capcom limited him because of SFxT. Not to mention that MvC3 was already a rush project to begin with, and should have had another 6 months in the oven minimum.

Companies run by businessmen are the worst. They don't understand concepts like IP decay and fanbases because no other industry in the world is like video games.

Wonderful post and really the point is as old as the mid part of the last generation (2008) imo.

Shouta

I think that goes for most games. There's a noticeable difference between watching a game on youtube/stream versus seeing it in person.

It's more so for faster games than slower ones but yeah most games look different. SF4's game speed is usually hard to fuck up because it's so much more deliberate and as a result it's one of the games that doesn't have that huge of a difference, IMO.

they should put an xtreme mode in SFV where every single link in the entire game is 1F, and thats the mode every tournament has to be played on.

then the babies can have their 2-3+ frame links in the normal mode.

i await my check in the mail, capcom.

I'll just keep doing jump fierce to crouch fierce to fierce Criminal Upper

Nothing changes for me

Not all 1f links are equal imo. Lets use Ryu as an example. Jab jab sweep is a pretty easy 1f link because it's a rhythm combo. You're hitting each button in quick succession like you would in a music game. Jab sweep is a little harder since you're going straight into the 1f link instead of having a bit of time in between. Jab into st. fierce gets a little harder since you're transitioning from crouching to standing.

And then we finally get to the 1f link almost no Ryu players use. Which is forward fierce into crouch fierce. I like to call these timing combos. This is tougher than all the others because once you land the f+hp, you have to wait to see a audio or visual cue to tell you when to hit the 1f link. Maybe their is no cue and you just have to know when the right time is. I'm ok with these being gone although I have to admit it feels good to land them.

Basically what I'm saying is that some are easier than others and I don't think they should be gone for good. Making the timing combos 2f links would help on this issue since they're still kind of hard as a 2f link.

I'd love to just play consistently, but my current time is spent on OFL-related projects/implementations that it's difficult to get any time in.

But trust me when I say you'll see the fruits of this labor soon enough.

I'm looking at you Tik-Tok.

I'll give GAF this; if it wasn't for the conversation that inspired me to do what I'm doing now, I wouldn't be able to even propose the things I'm proposing to people.

I know it's cryptic, but all will be clear soon enough.

Edit: Dahbomb check your PMs?

If this is anything short of you announcing the founding of your new studio with a playable demo of the hottest new fighting game the world has ever seen I'm gonna be really disappointed.

Anne

Why are we complaining about 1 frames? As BnB confirms it's kinda eh, but they're really not that hard unless you mainly play online. The only thing I drop semi-often is one frame punishes, that's why you get a select button ;;

Edit: I mean I get why as a barrier to entry thing but eh, having them in as advanced combos doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Onemic

Not all 1f links are equal imo. Lets use Ryu as an example. Jab jab sweep is a pretty easy 1f link because it's a rhythm combo. You're hitting each button in quick succession like you would in a music game. Jab sweep is a little harder since you're going straight into the 1f link instead of having a bit of time in between. Jab into st. fierce gets a little harder since you're transitioning from crouching to standing.

And then we finally get to the 1f link almost no Ryu players use. Which is forward fierce into crouch fierce. I like to call these timing combos. This is tougher than all the others because once you land the f+hp, you have to wait to see a audio or visual cue to tell you when to hit the 1f link. Maybe their is no cue and you just have to know when the right time is. I'm ok with these being gone although I have to admit it feels good to land them.

Basically what I'm saying is that some are easier than others and I don't think they should be gone for good. Making the timing combos 2f links would help on this issue since they're still kind of hard as a 2f link.

I would be ok with this as well

Why are we complaining about 1 frames? As BnB confirms it's kinda eh, but they're really not that hard unless you mainly play online. The only thing I drop semi-often is one frame punishes, that's why you get a select button ;;

You have to mod your stick though.

Onemic

Yeah, but it's a simple as hell rewire. I don't have one because I only have one main stick and I play other stuff, but it's really not a huge thing.

I know that, but I'm still not gonna do it. I guess for me it's a weird principle thing. It feels like cheating.

Where is this music game to teach me the combo? I think finding the timing is the most frustrating thing.

you know we would!
Oh snap is it happening
Damn, Kimosabae beat me to this:

If I had anything to add, it's that if Sony really wanted to avoid how PSAS turned out, they could have either dropped the "All Stars" angle and just created a new roster for this new game (thus giving it an immediate original identity from the jump) or they could have accepted that they'd be in this "platform fighter" game sharing the same ideas as Smash much like how Street Fighter and King of Fighters coexist in the same genre.
There's still plenty of design space left in platform fighters (I guess this is a term now?) that don't crib Smash wholesale. I don't know how PSASBR's core KO mechanic made it past the "do people actually want to play this" stage though.

Isn't the League fangame incorporating elements of platform fighting into it? Could turn out to be popular if done well due to the IP.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well it's Bayonetta right now and Bayonetta Link is too awesome for words.

Edit: and samus bayonetta is even better haha
Aren't those sorts of warnings permanent though?

Well, I suppose Twitch would be nice enough to bend the rules even if that's the case for Nintendo of all people.

de1irium

Aren't those sorts of warnings permanent though?

Well, I suppose Twitch would be nice enough to bend the rules even if that's the case for Nintendo of all people.

Twitch may have their own override for it, but you can toggle it in your stream settings too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
oh god, more smash run

for a second I thought he was going to go into extreme depth about everything else about the game x_x

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Smash Run looks fun. Looks like this will be a serious grind, but it seems like a lot of work was put into making this and other systems integrated

Top Bottom