• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

Neoriceisgood made this; seems reasonable:
Bp4Jn0cIMAA0Lyb.png:large

I thought it looked bleh when they first revealed it, but it's looking like great ol' arcadey fun.

Seems like a fun way to create randomness but apply some skill to taming it/improvising as well.

Apparently the customization stuff from it has limited uses though.

This looks like it'll feel like a wasted opportunity.

Onemic

Whatever floats your boat.

It's funny that this is being brought up because even though I'm against the idea I've actually been sorta considering it since the character I play in USF4(Elena) is extremely dependent on unplinkable 1 frame links to get the most out of her game. 90% of her combos are based on unplinkable 1 framers, and save for one, they're not rhythm based either.

I thought it looked bleh when they first revealed it, but it's looking like great ol' arcadey fun.

Seems like a fun way to create randomness but apply some skill to taming it/improvising as well.
Did you ever play City Trial in Kirby Air Ride, cause Smash Run is largely lifted wholesale from it and is the GOAT local multiplayer game

CPS2

When I was doing some video editing I noticed that some capture cards record game footage like this - every frame that is shown is repeated, and only half the frames are shown. There's probably a whole lot of other repeated and missing frames throughout the whole process of capturing and converting. I would encode video twice before putting it on youtube (once to get everything into a similar format before editing, and once again at the end because renders are massive) then youtube encodes them again. And its not just the frame timing that suffers, the resolution gets screwed up during the process as well. Sometimes the original capture means there's only so much you can do. So I just tend to think that while youtube has gotten a lot better, even the best footage would look better while playing the game itself. When I first saw KI on youtube I remember thinking it probably doesn't actually look like that.

When I was doing some video editing I noticed that some capture cards record game footage like this - every frame that is shown is repeated, and only half the frames are shown. There's probably a whole lot of other repeated and missing frames throughout the whole process of capturing and converting. I would encode video twice before putting it on youtube (once to get everything into a similar format before editing, and once again at the end because renders are massive) then youtube encodes them again. And its not just the frame timing that suffers, the resolution gets screwed up during the process as well. Sometimes the original capture means there's only so much you can do. So I just tend to think that while youtube has gotten a lot better, even the best footage would look better while playing the game itself. When I first saw KI on youtube I remember thinking it probably doesn't actually look like that.

Oh my god Im dying of laughter here. Thanks man I need a good laugh.

What do you mean? Customization within Smash Run (like boosting stats) or customization of characters in general? I think it's too early to say about the latter.

Inside run it'll be fine, but they said you can't play online with randoms with the boosts. So, friend only? That sounds lame, and like a wasted opportunity.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Did you ever play City Trial in Kirby Air Ride, cause Smash Run is largely lifted wholesale from it and is the GOAT local multiplayer game
No, but I think I need to now that I know it's a local multiplayer game.

I'm aware Sakurai lifted concepts from an earlier Kirby title though.

Anne

It's funny that this is being brought up because even though I'm against the idea I've actually been sorta considering it since the character I play in USF4(Elena) is extremely dependent on unplinkable 1 frame links to get the most out of her game. 90% of her combos are based on unplinkable 1 framers, and save for one, they're not rhythm based either.

Eh, you can give it a try if you have a SF4 dedicated stick.

Anne

does it permanently turn a button into select? Is it unchangeable?

No, you basically add another set of wires to select and then hook it up. You can always just move your connections around. At least the way I've seen it done here is like that.

I'd trust it. That's one of the most coherent twitter posts he has ever made. A moment of clarity, if you will.

I have this mental image of Ono laughing at some joke, turning around and typing that message out with the most deadly serious murderface, then turning around again and being back to his usual cheery self.

But what probably happened was he wanted to make it 100% clear so he got someone at Capcom to proofread what he wanted to say.

Also this indirectly confirms that SFV is a thing.

There is going to be a SFV.

SFV.

SFV.

*dead*

Unlucky

Also this indirectly confirms that SFV is a thing.

There is going to be a SFV.

SFV.

SFV.

*dead*
This is the follow-up tweet from Ono, after the one about not planning for pay-to-win:

Yoshinori Ono @Yoshi_OnoChin · 35m
Sorry for the confusion! We're still in early planning stages and will share more at a later date.
https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/476840892934787073

I bet someone at Capcom got fired for this. They can't be happy with how SFV was "announced."

This is the follow-up tweet from Ono, after the one about not planning for pay-to-win:

Basically sounds like "it is not going to be pay-to-win, people hate that. It is just going to be some sort of system whereby you can spend extra money to increase your in-game performance... and win".

Kumubou

Posting this as a public service:

vNmMtVq.jpg

I'll go against the grain here and say I'm not buying what Ono's saying one bit. At best, he's doing damage control here. Here's the thing: this isn't some random quote from a PR flunky or some low-ranking developer, it's a quote from their COO! If he wants the game to become a pay-to-win shitfest, it's pretty damn likely that is what's going to happen. Granted, it's still super early in development (so a lot could change) and this could be a mistranslation, but it's not a good sign at all.

Shito

Dunno if it was already posted, but the udon costumes are now up on the euro psn.
Free of charge (for the moment?).

Kalamari

Posting this as a public service:

vNmMtVq.jpg

I'll go against the grain here and say I'm not buying what Ono's saying one bit. At best, he's doing damage control here. Here's the thing: this isn't some random quote from a PR flunky or some low-ranking developer, it's a quote from their COO! If he wants the game to become a pay-to-win shitfest, it's pretty damn likely that is what's going to happen. Granted, it's still super early in development (so a lot could change) and this could be a mistranslation, but it's not a good sign at all.

I'm with ya, the COO clearly has more authority than Ono.

This has really soured me in regards to Capcom, I think it's time to fully embrace the anime future. I'm glad I haven't bought Ultra, why would I want to give money to such a backwards company.

Top Bottom