• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

I'll never forget the look of sheer confusion mixed with defeat when a friend of mine beat an overconfident YataLock player with Last Turn. If I had a camera phone at the time, it would've been perfect.

Zissou

Que (rush of air from move blocks out syllable) sadiiiilla boam (bomb)

Comment was tongue in cheek :p

I am will to bet if you took the sound clip from the vid and played it for 100 people, not one of them would correctly guess what he was actually saying.

I always assumed barely intelligible voice clips in old fighting games were due to the technological limitations of the time, but apparently not, haha.

mbpm1

Comment was tongue in cheek :p

I am will to bet if you took the sound clip from the vid and played it for 100 people, not one of them would correctly guess what he was actually saying.

Oh lol. I say this because I know someone who didn't know Guile was saying Sonic Boom when he sonic boomed.

I think I'm just used to the Engrish

I'll never forget the look of sheer confusion mixed with defeat when a friend of mine beat an overconfident YataLock player with Last Turn. If I had a camera phone at the time, it would've been perfect.

Every time I played against an Yatalock character, I made him finish me off 100% of the time, to get the KO and not get a forfeit from my ass, just so he suffers on how boring to do the SAME THING OVER AND OVER again and again, and to risk throwing down another monster that is non-yata, is a HUGE thing, because there is a way to come back still just for that one chance for when he has to put down another monster to he can get the KO.

Also Last Turn strat is the best strat throw at a player, because if they don't see it coming, they are FUCKED

Zissou

I guess spencer infinite would be more popular.

What characters are really underplayed due to execution? There are a million Zeros and Magnetos around doing their more technical stuff competently already, so I doubt making them easier to use would change much. I really only think Morrigan is truly difficult to play, even if you're willing to invest a lot of time and have good execution (as evidenced by the fact that there is still only one Morrigan that is truly legit). Underplayed characters like MODOK and Joe aren't played because people think they look weird or they are unconventional- not for execution reasons. I don't think the meta would change much if execution barriers were lowered.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Whenever Fuerte does a quesadilla bomb, what is he actually saying? Sounds like "READ A BOOK!"

God damn it, now this is all I hear

What the hell, how does that situation even happen?

What characters are really underplayed due to execution? There are a million Zeros and Magnetos around doing their more technical stuff competently already, so I doubt making them easier to use would change much. I really only think Morrigan is truly difficult to play, even if you're willing to invest a lot of time and have good execution (as evidenced by the fact that there is still only one Morrigan that is truly legit). Underplayed characters like MODOK and Joe aren't played because people think they look weird or they are unconventional- not for execution reasons. I don't think the meta would change much if execution barriers were lowered.

Doesn't spider-man have some shenanigans if you've got good execution?

Jill, Spider-man, and Rocket Raccoon.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Whenever Fuerte does a quesadilla bomb, what is he actually saying? Sounds like "READ A BOOK!"

I love this. Fuerte knows you hate fighting him so he spends the whole game offering you suggestions on how to better spend your time

Chun-Li and C. Viper are very hard to play, with C. Viper hardest to play in the game, because you need amazing execution to do her neutral game, and Chun-Li because of her combos are hard to do overall. Also Dante is one of the top 5 hardest to play characters in the game with his advance combos being very hard to do, learning his neutral game, and also getting a hit with him solo, Even thought there are tons of dantes out there, there are only a few that known for how good their dante is(Cloud805, Yipes, GreenAce, others).

Next IMO would be Jill and Shuma, Jill because herself being a stance character, with her BnB using tons of stance cancels, and Shuma because his BnB are weird because how you need to keep a charge for his corner BnB and because some of his combos are height dependent(not 100% sure, do not play him at all)

There are other characters that might be hard to play too, like Ammy, Spiderman, Rocket Raccoon, Dr. Strange(Dr. Strange would be the hardest, because how hard to open people up with him is and the FotF loop too), but those are no way hard as the other characters I said above.

Zissou

Doesn't spider-man have some shenanigans if you've got good execution?

Jill, Spider-man, and Rocket Raccoon.

Chun-Li and C. Viper are very hard to play, with C. Viper hardest to play in the game, because you need amazing execution to do her neutral game, and Chun-Li because of her combos are hard to do overall. Also Dante is one of the top 5 hardest to play characters in the game with his advance combos being very hard to do, learning his neutral game, and also getting a hit with him solo, Even thought there are tons of dantes out there, there are only a few that known for how good their dante is(Cloud805, Yipes, GreenAce, others).

Next IMO would be Jill and Shuma, Jill because herself being a stance character, with her BnB using tons of stance cancels, and Shuma because his BnB are weird because how you need to keep a charge for his corner BnB and because some of his combos are height dependent(not 100% sure, do not play him at all)

There are other characters that might be hard to play too, like Ammy, Spiderman, Rocket Raccoon, Dr. Strange(Dr. Strange would be the hardest, because how hard to open people up with him is and the FotF loop too), but those are no way hard as the other characters I said above.

Most of these are characters who do poorly in the current meta though. Even very strong characters like Viper have difficulty touching the skies where characters like Magneto can hang out all day (against players who seasoned in punishing vajra assist, at least). Somebody like Spiderman just isn't top tier material even if you can do the crazy high execution stuff. Nemo played Spidey for a week and was doing the super high damage web throw loops very consistently, but he stopped since he felt the character wasn't so amazing overall (relative to Nova, I guess). Shuma is assist tier- who's going to play him on point? Angelic is the biggest Shuma fan on planet earth (sorry God's Beard) and even on he relegates him to assist character status. Characters like Jill and RR can do next to nothing against anybody that can play their game at super jump height.

Who? Terry Bogard?

Oh you :p

Infinite

Alioune, Buckethead, Terry Bogard, and jjj have legit Morrigans

Most of these are characters who do poorly in the current meta though. Even very strong characters like Viper have difficulty touching the skies where characters like Magneto can hang out all day (against players who seasoned in punishing vajra assist, at least).

Somebody like Spiderman just isn't top tier material even if you can do the crazy high execution stuff. Nemo played Spidey for a week and was doing the super high damage web throw loops very consistently, but he stopped since he felt the character wasn't so amazing overall (relative to Nova, I guess).

Shuma is assist tier- who's going to play him on point? Angelic is the biggest Shuma fan on planet earth (sorry God's Beard) and even on he relegates him to assist character status. Characters like Jill and RR can do next to nothing against anybody that can play their game at super jump height.

It still means that these characters are hard to play still because your execution needs to on point to get the win with your characters, shuma might be assist tier, but if your other two characters die, you need to still need to know how to play him.

But, there are other shuma players out there(starting to be) because Jan uses him on his main team and Kaneblueriver is starting to learn him too, because with the big bodies, Shuma helps both characters out with his assist. Also there is Japanese Shuma/Rocket/Ammy players that does really well when he plays too, just haven't see any new footage him at all lately.

If you want the characters that are used in today metagame, then it would be Zero, Magneto, Dante and Morrigan as the hardest to use in the metagame right now with Dr. Strange on the side, because of team Nemo being one of the most used teams in tournaments.

casperOne

GAF is exclusive, EH is too focused on tiers, and SRK is hideous and unstable. Honestly, I think it's generous to call them competition. But I guess that really only matters if you're limiting yourself to what everyone's currently doing.

So my idea of what your aims are was a little off, but I think the answer could still easily include a usable forum. A place for the community to come together and talk about things is probably going to be useful, considering the current state of things.

Noted. When we did sf4answers we wanted something that was different from a forum which would help people get to information more easily. That's not to say that we would abandon forum concepts completely, but we'd want to go with something that's does the following (even if we have to build it):

• Allows people to communicate freely in a top down manner, like GAF.
  • Allows material to be cross referenced easily, so that people can find all relevant information without going down a silo and missing out on a lot of other great stuff. This is where sf4answers excelled over anyone (and still does, to some degree) at the time.

My man! Thank you for the promo.

Just watching pissed me off. Can't explain for the life of me why in Marvel being TAC infinited doesn't piss me off; probably because I think "well, there's the character on incoming that might have a chance".

Even if they don't, a new character coming in adds variety to the mix, even if they don't get to play.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Noted. When we did sf4answers we wanted something that was different from a forum which would help people get to information more easily. That's not to say that we would abandon forum concepts completely, but we'd want to go with something that's does the following (even if we have to build it):

• Allows people to communicate freely in a top down manner, like GAF.
  • Allows material to be cross referenced easily, so that people can find all relevant information without going down a silo and missing out on a lot of other great stuff. This is where sf4answers excelled over anyone (and still does, to some degree) at the time.

My man! Thank you for the promo.

Just watching pissed me off. Can't explain for the life of me why in Marvel being TAC infinited doesn't piss me off; probably because I think "well, there's the character on incoming that might have a chance".

Even if they don't, a new character coming in adds variety to the mix, even if they don't get to play.

yo casper, how was spring fighter if you went? i couldnt go cause i had to leave the country for a bit.

Rhapsody

Banned

Well this is more along the lines of the Spencer infinite. Just looks super boring and stalls. At least TAC infinites finish up fast (most of them anyway)

Zissou

Alioune, Buckethead, Terry Bogard, and jjj have legit Morrigans

Using "legit" was a poor choice of words. I guess this is my metric: how many Morrigans have gotten top eight at more than one major? I was arguing in the context of that argument that other high tier high execution characters like Magneto and Zero have had multiple players take them to top 8s of majors many many times, and I think that Morrigan is a step above them in overall difficulty of use because despite her extreme strengths as a character, she appears far less often in the top 8s of larger tournaments. If Chris G didn't play her, she would be rarely seen winning anything.

Zissou

It still means that these characters are hard to play still because your execution needs to on point to get the win with your characters, shuma might be assist tier, but if your other two characters die, you need to still need to know how to play him.

But, there are other shuma players out there(starting to be) because Jan uses him on his main team and Kaneblueriver is starting to learn him too, because with the big bodies, Shuma helps both characters out with his assist. Also there is Japanese Shuma/Rocket/Ammy players that does really well when he plays too, just haven't see any new footage him at all lately.

If you want the characters that are used in today metagame, then it would be Zero, Magneto, Dante and Morrigan as the hardest to use in the metagame right now with Dr. Strange on the side, because of team Nemo being one of the most used teams in tournaments.

The original comment being addressed made by Master Milk was "I wonder what the Marvel meta would look like if you didn't have the general execution barriers of a fighting game getting in the way." I was just arguing that characters like Jill or Shuma wouldn't be very competitively viable in the current meta even if their execution barriers were lessened.

kirblar

In general or in specific situations (like hit confirming a poke into a super or something)?
In general. Trying to play Fuerte when U2 only comes out 30% of the time sucks.

What's the point of playing a troll character when you can't use the trolliest move!

In general. Trying to play Fuerte when U2 only comes out 30% of the time sucks.

What's the point of playing a troll character when you can't use the trolliest move!

just gotta make sure you're hitting all the directions. If you're getting an ex move it means you are not hitting all the buttons at the same time.

casperOne

yo casper, how was spring fighter if you went? i couldnt go cause i had to leave the country for a bit.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it. There were a good many people I wanted to say hi to as well.

Well this is more along the lines of the Spencer infinite. Just looks super boring and stalls. At least TAC infinites finish up fast (most of them anyway)

The timer went faster than I expected, but slower than I would have preferred (compared to Marvel).

Zissou

just gotta make sure you're hitting all the directions. If you're getting an ex move it means you are not hitting all the buttons at the same time.

Agree with this. Practice with the input display on so you can see what you're actually pressing. It's really just a thing you grind out though.

kirblar

Have 3K mapped! :) (Helps w/ EX Bomb too) The motion sucks. Was on pad previously and it sucked there too but was easier.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
UNiEL is silly. I don't think a lot of people understand just how pants on head that game gets.

yeah I tried watching matches a few weeks ago out console port interest

And it just doesn't look like something I'd want to play. Moreso than any other modern fighting game

Negaduck

I can't for the life of me ever practice in training mode with the input display or the detailed information on.

I figure I'll see how much damage it does by the life bar?

My range of how much damage is none/some/decent/hella/a grip/daaaaammn/deff.

I don't need your damage numbers.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm not looking at UNIEL as a future game to invest time into and make it a main game or anything. I do enjoy picking up new fighters just for the unfamiliar cast and choosing a main along with getting used to new system mechanics (something I had fun with in P4U for the latter during the discovery phase)

Is there any trick to double-input motions on stick beyond driving yourself crazy until you get used to them?

i had trouble (scratch that, i STILL DO) doing simple hadouken motions on stick.

So after finally taking the advice given to me for the past 2 years, i went into training mode and picked FEI LONG.

his rekka requires you to input the motions fast. I practiced and practiced, but my execution is still shit.

HOWEVER i learned a very important fact while studying my inputs. when i was in the 1st player side, i noticed i wasn't finishing the forward motion before pressing the punch button. I FELT like i was doing it, but on screen it wasn't registering it. So to compensate, whenever i was on the 1st player side, i went a little beyond what FELT like forward position, and instead taught myself to go more towards a diagonal -up on the stick and it improved my rekkas.

try picking up FEI LONG since you are forced to learn the motions for even his most basic movies.

Zissou

It's funny: I won a bet with my girlfriend and as a result, she has practice SFII for one hour total (I'm spreading it across multiple days). I'm trying to ease her into it, since I just want her to understand my hobby a little bit better and actually enjoy it without it feeling like a chore. So far, in training mode, she can do hadoukens quite consistently, but she's struggling with SRKs a little bit. I imagine it'd be easier in a newer game with a more lenient input buffer, but I want her to understand and be able to succeed on at least a basic level by understanding how/when to use fireballs and DPs. We'll see how it goes!

Lemme add you and check our lag, I might be.
PSN is Karsticles.

Only if you tell me why broccoli is poisonous.
I want a more relaxing set of matches. Hahaha.

And broccoli is so poisonous it has even turned itself green. Clearly bad for you.

It's funny: I won a bet with my girlfriend and as a result, she has practice SFII for one hour total (I'm spreading it across multiple days). I'm trying to ease her into it, since I just want her to understand my hobby a little bit better and actually enjoy it without it feeling like a chore. So far, in training mode, she can do hadoukens quite consistently, but she's struggling with SRKs a little bit. I imagine it'd be easier in a newer game with a more lenient input buffer, but I want her to understand and be able to succeed on at least a basic level by understanding how/when to use fireballs and DPs. We'll see how it goes!
You are just visiting Japan, right? Is your girlfriend Japanese?

Zissou

You are just visiting Japan, right? Is your girlfriend Japanese?

I live in Japan (and have for a number of years now), but I'm thinking of leaving in a year or two since I've kind of gotten my fill at this point. I met my girlfriend here, but she isn't Japanese :p

Top Bottom