• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Me too!

Although I don't agree that it's not time consuming. you have to draw every frame for every sprite + effects. That alone is time consuming as hell.

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, my friend burns his eyes out on the work he does and he's a pixel artist, I can only imagine if you draw everything. If people generate enough interest, we can make a GAF game and have Dahbomb as our game designer.
Seriously though, this guy knows what he talks about.

Can someone page Ravidrath for the 2D cost beatdown before Yams continues telling a game designer about the cost of development?

Take it easy man, I'm speaking for myself and for people who WANT to get INTO it as a BEGINNER.

Note, my group does it for free at my Game Center since we are a small group, which is why we pay no one since we have no backings. If you are working with a team of people who wanna get paid, its a lot of money which I'd rather not be a part of since I have other endeavors to work on. Hell, a lot of indies in NY don't get paid jack until they make it big and have someone backing them so it is charity work in the beginning. Make a game on your free time and if it garners enough attention, put a small price tag on it, that's the way I see it. If you wanna pump money into a machine and crank out a product, Ravidrath would know more since he's in the biz.

Onemic

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, my friend burns his eyes out on the work he does and he's a pixel artist, I can only imagine if you draw everything. If people generate enough interest, we can make a GAF game and have Dahbomb as our game designer.
Seriously though, this guy knows what he talks about.

Take it easy man, I'm speaking for myself and for people who WANT to get INTO it as a BEGINNER.

Note, my group does it for free at my Game Center since we are a small group, which is why we pay no one since we have no backings. If you are working with a team of people who wanna get paid, its a lot of money which I'd rather not be a part of since I have other endeavors to work on. Hell, a lot of indies in NY don't get paid jack until they make it big and have someone backing them so it is charity work. Make a game on your free time and if it garners enough attention, put a small price tag on it, that's the way I see it. If you wanna pump money into a machine and crank out a product, Ravidrath would know more since he's in the biz.

so jelly.

Time to get back to work on UE4

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You weren't replying to a beginner though, lol.

I realized that when I looked up his name earlier on... The damage had already been done haha. First keits, now him.

so jelly.

Time to get back to work on UE4

Yeah man, its pretty sweet. We all met up in a game development class and we just stuck together. We'll probably upload the game we're working on online and put up a paypal to get better tools, photoshop makes life so much easier.

Imm0rt4l

Sanford wasn't going to skate for flaking on a tournament and then changing his mind the night before, and of course some of that is going to fall on the TOs for letting top players push them around for the umpteenth time.

Basically, it just validates his bullshit and feeling of entitlement.

Beckx

I realized that when I looked up his name earlier on... The damage had already been done haha. First keits, now him.

Yeah. Outside of projects where a bunch of people come together and make a game (donating their time to each other - not to some other person who profits), making a fighting game is expensive. Ravidrath has put together a really nice breakdown of why, but I can't remember atm whether it's in the SG thread, the SG site or the SG indeigogo site. Someone probably does. I think the number is something like $250K per character and that's with some very favorable assumptions on rates and the like, and excludes costs for engines, etc.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yeah. Outside of projects where a bunch of people come together and make a game, making a fighting game is expensive. Ravidrath has put together a really nice breakdown of why, but I can't remember atm whether it's in the SG thread, the SG site or the SG indeigogo site. Someone probably does. I think the number is something like $250K per character and that's with some very favorable assumptions on rates and the like, and excludes costs for engines, etc.

God damn, I've seen sprite work for SF2 and Alpha and it looks painful to make it that fluid. I'd assume that was the only trouble when making the game but then I looked it up even further, that damn precise collision detection is annoying too!

EmpReb

Banned
I guess someone needs to bring up Blade Symphony We really need an OT for this game. I have been playing this A LOT and its very good deep fighting game with sword play and the 3D planes being used instead of the 2Ds one..

vulva

E3 was cooler than expected. Guilty Gear in person looks so unbelievable.

Also I asked Aksys about PS4 version of GG taking PS3 sticks. I was basically given the runaround. I was told by them that it all depends on the firmware of certain sticks and that it's on the stick manufacturer to have it work. When I mentioned reading that it was up to the developer according to Sony, I was told that it's not within their (Aksys') control.

So basically I was told that there's no information on that. Currently the PS4 build of GGXrd can only take standard PS4 controllers anyways, they haven't added in any proper support for external peripherals at this point.

Also I asked Aksys about PS4 version of GG taking PS3 sticks. I was basically given the runaround. I was told by them that it all depends on the firmware of certain sticks and that it's on the stick manufacturer to have it work. When I mentioned reading that it was up to the developer according to Sony, I was told that it's not within their (Aksys') control.

So basically I was told that there's no information on that. Currently the PS4 build of GGXrd can only take standard PS4 controllers anyways, they haven't added in any proper support for external peripherals at this point.

Well Aksys is only the publisher so maybe there's still some hope? Still depressing to hear though.

Wasn't Ishiwatari there? You should've bothered him instead lol.

vulva

Well Aksys is only the publisher so maybe there's still some hope? Still depressing to hear though.

Wasn't Ishiwatari there? You should've bothered him instead lol.

He was there but it was a busy few days. I only managed to barely sneak in a chance to talk with anyone from Aksys. Had to catch them between PR meetings. If nothing else, I was able to communicate to them that having that option would be the reason for me to purchase the PS4 version over the PS3 one. Publishers often times can make a game feature like that a requirement, so the idea's out there at least.

Hey guys was at E3 yesterday and I played against Ricky Ortiz on the Capcom stage and their set up was horrible. This was my first time playing on whatever Capcom was using for their screen projection and the lag was insane. The medium kick button was all sorts of terrible on their sticks as well, as they have probably been lugging the same two sticks everywhere they go. Props to all the pros for being able to play under such poverty conditions

I'd love to hear a postmortem from Lab Zero about the IGG now that it's been a while and they're over the hump of the main deliverables.
You can PM him if you are that curious. I can imagine what he'll say.

"It was one of the most exhausting experiences we've ever had"

Seriously, those were nerve racking times. It's nice knowing you hit your goal, but when it spirals out of control you are then left with the logistics of what you have to deliver and it's easier said than done.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Maybe Sanford is playing some psychological war. Pretending he isn't entering, doesn't show up to a pre-event, takes all the insuts, laughts, etc, but was secretly locked in a room training and waiting to surprise his opponents at the last minute.

kirblar

Maybe Sanford is playing some psychological war. Pretending he isn't entering, doesn't show up to a pre-event, takes all the insuts, laughts, etc, but was secretly locked in a room training and waiting to surprise his opponents at the last minute.
Do he and Aqua get along?

vulva

Hey guys was at E3 yesterday and I played against Ricky Ortiz on the Capcom stage and their set up was horrible. This was my first time playing on whatever Capcom was using for their screen projection and the lag was insane. The medium kick button was all sorts of terrible on their sticks as well, as they have probably been lugging the same two sticks everywhere they go. Props to all the pros for being able to play under such poverty conditions

I played on the same stage and I had no issues with functionality. The Benq monitor ran great and the sticks worked perfectly fine for me. The bigger projection lagged, sure, but the monitor itself was totally fine to play on. Not really sure what issues you were talking about.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
You know how we always say Daigo is the most hollywood of all FG players? He may have the income to back up that statement. Apparently Daigo makes nearly 200k a year. I can't imagine any other player in fighting games coming close to that figure. I have no idea how he is making most of that money. I assume most of it is from paid appearances at the various events that he attends in Japan because I don't think Mad Catz is paying him the majority of that figure.

http://beastnote.blogspot.com/2014/06/umehara-yearly-income-is-at-least-196k.html

Where ever the money comes from, he's making a lot of it.

Don't forget, Daigo is a multi best selling author. Has his own manga. And is pretty much a celebrity now in the Japan business world.

I know how much we pay him so I can say I believe this figure wholeheartedly. He's a great person to work with.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium

This is a 14 year pattern with Sanford, pretends like he wont enter only to enter

I played on the same stage and I had no issues with functionality. The Benq monitor ran great and the sticks worked perfectly fine for me. The bigger projection lagged, sure, but the monitor itself was totally fine to play on. Not really sure what issues you were talking about.

I don't know why the lag on the stage monitor was just too much for me. Felt like a 2 to 3 bar online match. I noticed quickly the projection screen was 2 to 3 seconds in delay. The booth set ups were good though

kirblar

I don't know why the lag on the stage monitor was just too much for me. Felt like a 2 to 3 bar online match. I noticed quickly the projection screen was 2 to 3 seconds in delay. The booth set ups were good though
Haunts mentioned they weren't in ideal conditions and seemed to be pretty worried about the stream quality, but it held up fine pretty much the whole way through.

Beckx

This sounds like a terrible plan.

@JayViscant 1m
Humanbomb bet his life savings on Chile to win by 2. If he wins this bet he goes to Evo. Humanbomb is turning into Marn before our eyes =(

Nuklear

Banned
Sanford has become my least favorite fighting game player now. They shouldn't let his ass back in. Don't cater to the babies in the FGC and force them to grow up.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Sanford has become my least favorite fighting game player now. They shouldn't let his ass back in. Don't cater to the babies in the FGC and force them to grow up.

But FGC-Drama dog. Don't sponsor them Casper! Be the hero we need but don't deserve!

I remain neutral on this stance. Don't unsponsor Casper! Unless you feel strongly about it.

Kumubou

This sounds like a terrible plan.
There's nothing there that sounds like a terrible plan -- it is a terrible plan. It always gets me how one of the easiest things to do with regards to gambling (bankroll management) is something so many people (even highly experienced professional players) screw up.

mbpm1

There's nothing there that sounds like a terrible plan -- it is a terrible plan. It always gets me how one of the easiest things to do with regards to gambling (bankroll management) is something so many people (even highly experienced professional players) screw up.

He's on that winning rush because he won the bet with his life savings on Brazil just a day before.

I hope that "life savings" is an exaggeration or something.

Top Bottom