• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

I've gotten sick of all training stages. They all have the same concept. Grid based lines in some bland room. It's a trend now and it's annoying. Training stages are for practice only not for real fights. Hence the word training.

BadWolf

To be fair, Tekken 7 does look very similar to 6 as well as 5 before it. Street Fighter V suffers from the same problem. Both teams seem adamantly against changing characters appearances for the most part. In the case of both games, despite running on new engines they look very similar to the engines that came before them which is another problem.

Both teams could have done more to really differentiate the new titles from the ones that came before them so I don't blame people for having a knee jerk reaction of thinking they look like the same game but higher resolution.

The general style or look of SFV might be similar to SFIV but other than that it's all new with fresh character animation etc., unlike T7. Capcom should definitely be given way more credit with their sequel than Namco.

I don't understand people who have that logic. It's like saying, "Oh wait this looks like a video game too."

Anyone who plays fighting games knows that both SF V and Tekken 7 look quite different from their predecessors but more mechanically then visually. So basically some people are dumb and don't know that fighting games have mechanics.

The FGC doesn't choose games based on their mechanics either. So, why do you have that expectation for people who aren't nearly as dedicated?

There are very few Juicebox's, who go out of their way to analyze how a fighting game plays, critique its structure and design, and make their decision on that. The appeal of fighting games for most, are the characters. By extension, their aesthetics and the look of their play. NRS understands that the most, which is why I think they'll outlive any japanese fighting game developer.

ShinMaruku

I refuse R Mika because they'd give her a pancake ass. She and Chun had the biggest asses in 2d fighting games. But now? They flat as shit.

AAK

NRS understands that the most, which is why I think they'll outlive any japanese fighting game developer.

This so much. NRS is the only fighting game developer that sees their franchise expand like how Namco used to be able to manage with Tekken. I can only hope that they get better with their raw gameplay aspects since they probably will be the last fighting game developer standing once Tekken and Street Fighter crash and burn.

alstein

I've gotten sick of all training stages. They all have the same concept. Grid based lines in some bland room. It's a trend now and it's annoying. Training stages are for practice only not for real fights. Hence the word training.

Yep, that's one of the first thing I'd request- no training stage in the game period.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This so much. NRS is the only fighting game developer that sees their franchise expand like how Namco used to be able to manage with Tekken. I can only hope that they get better with their raw gameplay aspects since they probably will be the last fighting game developer standing once Tekken and Street Fighter crash and burn.

LOL at thinking ArcSys is going anywhere

There are very few Juicebox's, who go out of their way to analyze how a fighting game plays, critique its structure and design, and make their decision on that. The appeal of fighting games for most, are the characters. By extension, their aesthetics and the look of their play. NRS understands that the most, which is why I think they'll outlive any japanese fighting game developer.

Idk I think the Japanese fighter Devs have a much better success rate and have been doing it longer. Also Japan studios are really big on custimization, when it comes to certain games. NRS has yet to have any Karacter kustimation
Aside from variations. But combining all the moves possible from all three variations a single character in MKX has a Tekken character still has more options.

Dahbomb

Damn the gloom and doom in this thread is real...

If SFV doesn't do up to snuff then people are going to start bringing up "dark ages" all over again...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Idk I think the Japanese fighter Devs have a much better success rate and have been doing it longer. Also Japan studios are really big on custimization, when it comes to certain games. NRS has yet to have any Karacter kustimation
Aside from variations. But combining all the moves possible from all three variations a single character in MKX has a Tekken character still has more options.

?

.la1n

Yep, that's one of the first thing I'd request- no training stage in the game period.

It blew my mind that people were actually requesting the training stage as a selectable stage in Killer Instinct. Thank god the devs squashed that idea real quick.

Hell no. The last thing we need is that butt ugly customization crap making it's way into more fighters. It's bad enough KI felt the need to include it.

Dahbomb

Hell no. The last thing we need is that butt ugly customization crap making it's way into more fighters. It's bad enough KI felt the need to include it.
I think he's talking about move customization, not costume customization.

It blew my mind that people were actually requesting the training stage as a selectable stage in Killer Instinct. Thank god the devs squashed that idea real quick.

Customization is fine, imo, when you don't take it too far. I think SFxT had the right idea when it let you make your own colors but then Capcom got carried away and put in the neon metallic shit.

I really like the visual character custimization options some games have some look really good if you actually spend some time on them, and if they aren't breaking frames or anything I'd say it's a welcome addition. It's just up to player dedication.

jbug617

Banned
SF5 stage really does look like RE6.
6101_1.jpg

%D9%84%D9%88%DA%A9%DB%8C%D8%B4%D9%86%20%D9%87%D8%A7%DB%8C%20Resident%20Evil%206-7.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164453391&postcount=635

『Inaba Resident』;164456364 said:
Customization is fine, imo, when you don't take it too far. I think SFxT had the right idea when it let you make your own colors but then Capcom got carried away and put in the neon metallic shit.

I thought SFxT character custimazation was the laziest attempt I've ever seen. It looked so bad. But then again I didn't enjoy SFxT that much I think the best things that came out of that game were awesome FMVs and that truck stop stage lol.

thelastword

Banned
look why can't everything just look like guilty gear or marvel

problem solved imo

edit:
PYudfG4.gif

team red more like team fucking wizards
Don't like the way Guilty Gear looks at all, it looked much better prior to release, it was razor sharp and pristine looking, not the fuzzy look it has now.

I also don't think the super anime style should come back to SF. Now, if we're talking graphical fidelity similar to the into in Ultra SF, then fine, that would be amazing, but not the anime styles we have now, they're just not there yet.

Currently, the most pleasing anime style games I've seen recently are Skullgirls and Blaze-blue, still I prefer the style of SF4 and 5 over those.

alstein

If you hate cosmetic customizations, then you hate fun

I don't hate cosmetics- I hate "Football Helmet Clown Shoes Guy" types of customizations.

I will buy a game just for the dress-up and cosplaying my characters, but I keep it tasteful.

This or make it only usable in actual training mode.

So sick of seeing training stages at tournaments.

Hoping the move to PS4 changes this. It irks me more because I believe some folks use the lines in training stage to set up setplay attempts (heard it's possible), so it gives a gameplay advantage- especially towards a style of play that takes away from what makes fighting games fun.

That's not the same issue. Customs doesn't prevent the average joe from thinking that Tekken 7 looks like a next gen port of Tekken 5.

It's more than just changing character clothes. It's about general art direction, atmosphere and presentation values of the game. Street Fighter previously was able to get by on just the transition to 3D models and that there was a decade absence from the franchise. Those novelties are gone.

QFT. Skullgirls looks like ass imo. Blazblue looks way more appealing visually. I still say they all look terrible when compared Tekken MK pretty much any newly released 3D fighter. Guilty Gear might be the best looking anime fighter now that I think of it. I don't like GG tho.

alstein

QFT. Skullgirls looks like ass imo. Blazblue looks way more appealing visually. I still say they all look terrible when compared Tekken MK pretty much any newly released 3D fighter. Guilty Gear might be the best looking anime fighter now that I think of it. I don't like GG tho.

I feel the exact opposite- I think Arcsys style looks like total ass and I think Skullgirls is very expressive and creative, even if I don't like all of the characters.

Skullgirls is the perfect example of a game I keep giving chances to despite its gameplay being the exact opposite of what I'm good at.

The enjoyment I've received from character customization vastly outweighs any annoyances I've had from other people's bad taste, so I don't see why it's a bad feature. It's also something that non-boring people and non-competitive people can enjoy in a fighting game, and that's a rare thing for the genre.

Besides, I don't think I could make anything in Tekken or VF5's customization that looks worse than Platinum's character design, so if you're okay with loli anime but not okay with Bryan holding a fish then you're the worst.
The PS3 version of Xrd looks like somebody just smeared vaseline across the camera.

you just need to sit further from your TV

Xevren

『Inaba Resident』;164460036 said:
I'll ask again, how does this keep happening?
This shit has to be intentional or something.

Honestly I've just come to accept it as inevitable. I figure once all the dlc characters are out hopefully all these weird meter bugs with characters will be done and dealt with. I feel bad for people who will be traveling to tournies (like combo breaker this weekend) that will be effected though. I doubt they can just hotfix this, and since it happens in all variations I have no idea how they're going to deal with it. Banning a whole character seems like a bad idea here.

zlatko

Banned
Rest in peace Darkstalkers

I made a post similar to chin dogs in the past about sf5 being what Ono wanted from his new dark stalkers and I wouldn't be surprised at DLC characters from vampire savior or at least costumes.

This is Onos way of making the game he wanted to some extent mechanics wise.

thelastword

Banned
What fuzzy look?
Like the one you posted, it looks really blurry and kills lots of detail. You should of seen the early trailers and footage of Xrd, that was one sharp and pristine looking game, it was definitely downgraded.

Skilletor said:
Probably playing on ps3. #laughs
My PS3 got struck by lightning, still have not replaced it, All I have is the PS4 and 360.

Top Bottom