• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

Dahbomb

SFV threads are getting to be as bad as Blizzard game threads. Yikes.
That's how the general public actually perceives SFV.

Everyone I have showed SFV to says "that looks just like SF4". It's the same thing as Tekken 7.

We are going to be hearing a lot of this for the whole year that's for sure.

mbpm1

Everyone I have showed SFV to says "that looks just like SF4". It's the same thing as Tekken 7.

That and "Meh, I'll buy it when they release the 5th Edition" or w/e

Skilletor

I'm actually a bit tired of all the negativity regarding anything new in the FGC. Wearing on me IRL with the friends I talk to.

I just like fighting games. Can't wait to try most of them. I'm never looking for a reason NOT to play something, and seems like a lot of people are.

Coda

I don't understand people who have that logic. It's like saying, "Oh wait this looks like a video game too."

Anyone who plays fighting games knows that both SF V and Tekken 7 look quite different from their predecessors but more mechanically then visually. So basically some people are dumb and don't know that fighting games have mechanics.

Dahbomb

I don't understand people who have that logic. It's like saying, "Oh wait this looks like a video game too."

Anyone who plays fighting games knows that both SF V and Tekken 7 look quite different from their predecessors but more mechanically then visually. So basically some people are dumb and don't know that fighting games have mechanics.
You basically don't understand graphics whores. Or the general public for that matter.

Sayad

That's okay considering otherwise they would be trapped by EX Mode > Put four fireballs on the screen in 2 seconds like we saw with Chun in a past video
That's what I'm getting at.

So.... like SF4?
Wouldn't call what Gief, Hugo, Makoto and Honda have to get around fireballs a hard counter. And that's just off the top of my head. Everyone in SFV so far either have fireballs, teleports or/and a fireball reflector.

I'm actually a bit tired of all the negativity regarding anything new in the FGC. Wearing on me IRL with the friends I talk to.

I just like fighting games. Can't wait to try most of them. I'm never looking for a reason NOT to play something, and seems like a lot of people are.

I am in the same boat. FGC to me is not so much a community but enjoying watching personalities, games and both the emotional and mechanical nature of fighting games. For a game with frame traps and set play, fighting games are expressive.

except Anime games. Get that trash out of here.

Dahbomb

I just like fighting games. Can't wait to try most of them.
Maybe some people don't like fighting games as much as you do and don't want to spend $60 just to try out a new fighter that will have less characters, looks only marginally better and will probably be less balanced than the previous iteration?

Seyavesh

look why can't everything just look like guilty gear or marvel

problem solved imo

edit:
PYudfG4.gif

team red more like team fucking wizards

jbug617

Banned
So how many fighters are you guys expecting at launch? I think they should at least have 12 characters at launch.

Also put Dhalsim in SF5.

Skilletor

Maybe some people don't like fighting games as much as you do and don't want to spend $60 just to try out a new fighter that will have less characters, looks only marginally better and will probably be less balanced than the previous iteration?

Okay.

Coda

You basically don't understand graphics whores. Or the general public for that matter.

Oh I understand them, I understand that they don't know what they're talking about. I'm fine with that because there will always be naysayers and uninitiated folks.

Most of FightingGAF know what's up.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So did Bison become one with Rose.
Guessing that's why he's got the reflect.

that actually makes a lot of sense...

16 at launch + Akuma day one DLC

After that...I hope not 44

I still think that leak is real and by roster I mean the list of characters that were leaked. The roster ain't gonna be that big and there is gonna be DLC galore. I just want Q in the game ;_;

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
learning A* algorithm is a bitch for a noob like me ;_;

『Inaba Resident』;164445300 said:
Also Ken probably isn't gonna be in the launch roster.

fan outcries will bring him back if Capcom completely eliminated him as a potential character for the future.

NEO0MJ

Capcom should have upped sharpness, muted the colors, then called it a day. Best graphics confirmed.

It's also an exclusive, to a degree. That's the ultimate multiplier to any game's criticism over here.

It also goes the other way and multiplies praise. See The Order and Splatoon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bison trailer is dope.
Art is dope.
Psycho effects are dope.
Significant changes to move sets are probably the most dope.

Bison has never looked so menacing, both in how the trailer framed him and his move set. SFV continues to impress. Next trailer should have a new stage at the very least though.

SFV beta gon have like one stage at this rate

hope we hear about that shit at E3, it aint gon be like like the Doom beta you got for pre-ordering Wolfenstein and then aint heard shit about it since

jbug617

Banned
Chindogg brings up a good point.
@Chindogg21: After watching the SFV dictator video I honestly think Ono's using the assets they had for the new Darkstalkers game to make SFV.

I think this a strong possibility.

Pompadour

M. Bison's redesigned moveset is what I hoped for with Street Fighter V. A lot of characters that were created in SF2 have some pretty wonky looking moves, mostly from re-using frames by flipping or inverting them to make new moves. I'm glad Bison's Psycho Crusher because just making supers slightly crazier specials is also kind of boring.

kirblar

You know, is THAT what the Ken Bogard rumored V-Trigger mechanic actually references? (I think this turned out to be the elemental installs.)

AAK

Tekken 7 has been released in arcades. And from the words of those who've played it already, it's basically Tekken Revolution with a bunch of tweaks that simplify the game and take away abilities that made top level players dominate. The new mechanics of Supers and Armor moves are pretty much useless and almost none of the high level match videos on the internet has players ever incorporating it. It's just there for new players.

The negativity around Tekken 7 is warranted for anyone that enjoys TTT2 level of gameplay. But I guess there lies the problem that a game with such depth & complexity can't exist in this generation of gamers so I should just be very fortunate I got to experience TTT2 in a period of my life where I enjoy playing fighting games.

.la1n

To be fair, Tekken 7 does look very similar to 6 as well as 5 before it. Street Fighter V suffers from the same problem. Both teams seem adamantly against changing characters appearances for the most part. In the case of both games, despite running on new engines they look very similar to the engines that came before them which is another problem.

Both teams could have done more to really differentiate the new titles from the ones that came before them so I don't blame people for having a knee jerk reaction of thinking they look like the same game but higher resolution.

ShinMaruku

That does not explain the monogamer culture between the exclusive supporters of one game. They buy sticks for upwards of $100 and buy each new iteration while bitching about other games. Plenty blame on many sides.

Fighting games should not be $60 when one is free and has 700K people buying costume packs for over $10 every few months. Why is it $60.

Really what is really needed is more outsiders converted and they change the culture within. Problem is neither the community nor the developers know how to do it. :p

Top Bottom