• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

petghost

Banned
You'd be surprised. French Bread has their own take that's way different than ASW, Examu is "the floor is lava let's go to the moon" then makes Aquapazza, weird 2.5D stuff exists, and there is the doujin stuff like VanPri that tries to stay on the ground.

Like I know people just see airdashes and complicated looking combos, but there's actually a huge amount of different types of intricacies and feels to stuff.

yeah I know that there is a world of difference between say melty and uniel but imo both those games are equally distant from a sf style game. Uniel seems more like a kof pace but I dno.

Rhapsody

Banned
You'd be surprised. French Bread has their own take that's way different than ASW, Examu is "the floor is lava let's go to the moon" then makes Aquapazza, weird 2.5D stuff exists, and there is the doujin stuff like VanPri that tries to stay on the ground.

Like I know people just see airdashes and complicated looking combos, but there's actually a huge amount of different types of intricacies and feels to stuff.

Sadly most people just see anime in this thread and walk away from the game. When I see Alpha 2 and 3 discussions in this thread or out of it, I'm convinced that any of these types of games, a lot of people only talk about what they see on the surface.

Sadly most people just see anime in this thread and walk away from the game. When I see Alpha 2 and 3 discussions in this thread or out of it, I'm convinced that any of these types of games, a lot of people only talk about what they see on the surface.
First impressions are important.

shaowebb

that's an anime fighter, not a comic book fighter
Tatsunoko was pretty much between them and Toei Japan's superheroes. I figured it was relevant to your post considering it had Marvel and DC...super hero fighters.

In other words its more Tokusatsu and Super Sentai than "anime" in every sense when watching the shows.

A DC versus game would look amazing if the MvC3 art direction were fused with Alex Ross' style. I just don't think it would work with MK, but the results would be amazing if fused with Japanese aesthetics.
FWIW, MKX looks pretty rad. Lots of great environment design given the theme.

I was 12 and came into class so fucking hype because "FUCK SONIC ADVENTURE, PLAY JET SET" and someone told me it looked stupid as fuck/animated like that "garbage" on AS at the time.
Oh okay

I can handle little kids thinking like that. I'm just glad we're still a ways off from 20 year olds logging on gaf and thinking this way (note: not liking it is fine, but kiddy? GTFO). I may have some gray hairs, but seeing that on gaf would be the kicker.

lol

petghost

Banned

I don't think this is entirely true and I think basic assumptions about gameplay style play into in a big way too. Like yata isnt generally reviled while being full of pantsu and shit. People see that it is based on 3s and are into that.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Just played someone in SF where it felt like I was playing in honey or something very viscous... is this is infamous lag switch?

Anne

I will say MvC3 is in a style that suits Marvel, Marvel was always known for going ham with art and colors. Injustice really hits the current DC vibe they have going on where things are more subtle and muted and gritty thing they got going on.

If I wanted a Marvel game, I'd get Capcom, if I wanted a DC game, NRS actually seems like a good choice with the current handling of the universes.

I don't think this is entirely true and I think basic assumptions about gameplay style play into in a big way too. Like yata isnt generally reviled while being full of pantsu and shit. People see that it is based on 3s and are into that.

It being based on 3S is actually really surface level when you dig into it, it borrows some things but it also borrows very heavily from SNK games and defines its own interpretations of those themes.

I'm actually kind of tired of people going "Yata is modern 3S". It's 3S inspired and it's a good selling point, but that's kind of disingenuous and sells the ideas behind it short.

I've been guilty of using that to try and sell it to people, but now I kinda wanna talk more about Yata just being Yata and being a good game at that.

Kumubou

There's Aquapazza, and I know he wouldn't touch that.
There goes suggesting Shin Koihime Musou then, which is even more grounded than most SF games. Bad footsies in that game get lit the fuck up with the quickness.

Alpha 2 is fortunate that most of what people have seen was Choi vs Valle then, haha. Valle CC was still there, but luckily the set had a lot of footsies (between shotos and a Sagat no less).
I suspect that even after all the wacknes, Alpha 2 is way closer to both a traditional SF game and closer to being salvageable than A3 is. A2 has plenty of dumb shit, but A3 is broken beyond belief. I think relatively few people understand just how stupid that game gets. I've played some people who really knew their shit in that game and it made me want to reconsider living. D:

LegatoB

I miss Aquapazza. That game was fun (because nobody I played used Chizuru/Tamaki), had a low execution ceiling (for bad characters like Oboro, who I like), and solid-feeling movement without having to go to airdashes and stuff. It was anime, but it wasn't Anime, and the netcode blows.

Azure J

Honestly, Marvel 3 was Xrd before Xrd if we're talking visuals alone the first time I saw it. Between the game itself and the glorious CG episodes (never forget Trish v Doom, Dante vs, Deadpool, IRON MANG), I was completely done in the best way.

It's also another reason I'm tight the Capcom side didn't get more stages. Temen-ni-gru, an Okami stage, Broken Highway from Megaman X, etc... So many good choices gone unused.

Anne

There goes suggesting Shin Koihime Musou then, which is even more grounded than most SF games. Bad footsies in that game get lit the fuck up with the quickness.

Koihime is that game that mechanically is the supposed wet dream of the people in this thread who just want footsies and balance and low execution and big damage from single hits and and and

They won't even look at it.

zlatko

Banned
On a happier note:

I would love a Capcom "Dream Game" where they took One Piece, Naurto, Hunter x Hunter, and a few other popular action animes to create a 2D fighter.

I would bust savage nuts to play Luffy vs Naruto or some crazy match ups like that.

All of the talk going on today about fighting game graphics and art styles made me think about the idea of MKX looking like a classic MK game, and go looking for it.

(this cross post is more legit because i don't expect you all to hang around the MKX OT)

Rhapsody

Banned
Maybe. At the same time, I feel like a lot of people that make basic assumptions only heard about it being like 3S, instead of making assumptions on watching sets of it.

And this is why Galileo is godlike. Even after ditching BBCPEX, goes and enter Mixup Night last weekend and wins it all. lol

LegatoB

Koihime is that game that mechanically is the supposed wet dream of the people in this thread who just want footsies and balance and low execution and big damage from single hits and and and

Koihime is kind of ugly even setting aside the character design aesthetics (pre-rendered sprites are high-res enough now to be PASSABLE, but that's all). That's a killer right there.

Anne

Koihime is kind of ugly even setting aside the character design aesthetics (pre-rendered sprites are high-res enough now to be PASSABLE, but that's all). That's a killer right there.

I will not argue that the game looks atrocious, but it has a lot of selling points people around here bring up time and time again.

Beckx

The biggest problem I'm having with this is that there's this thing happening in a lot of discussion about visual design in gaming where the moment a developer steps into the realm of delivering things/characters with a hint of stylization in reference to cartoons (be they more inspired by the East or West), there's this gigantic and ignorant wave of shit posts that can be summed up as "lol anime" before anything can be gleaned about techniques used to get the design to hold up in a game environment or how they reached that level of execution. Before we even know what kind of game it is/how it plays, there is already a sect of people determined to choke out any sense of wonder you can have towards it because it doesn't conform to some standard or everyone long jumps to conclusions about the content and subject material with a hackneyed argument along the lines of "looks like" anime therefore must be riddled with tropes from that medium.

This basically sums up why I don't read or post in threads about specific games/shows that I like. The Internet is a powerful draw for misery shitters.

alstein

I looked at it. I just didn't care for it too much- felt kinda limited compared to SamSho.

OceanBlue

I don't know about big damage but yeah lol. I saw top 3 at KVO and it basically looked like "Grounded footsies the game".

Rhapsody

Banned
Makes me wonder how GAF would react (or FGC in general) if there was a western styled fighter that used Arcana Heart's arcana system.
I think they'd love it
and also they'd think it was the first game to do it (like people forgetting about Moons before MKX)

Anne

I don't know about big damage but yeah lol. I saw top 3 at KVO and it basically looked like "Grounded footsies the game".

I mean off like single hits you get respectable damage. Low > special cancel out of neutral is a decent chunk, you can get tagged by a 3 hit whiff punish and lose 1/4 life.

Also that weird CH state that lets you use bounces is bananas >_>

petghost

Banned
I dno man we always come to the point where people are saying fuck anime and others are trying to illustrate what is interesting about the fucking thousands of games with that art style. It obviously comes down to aesthetic preference because the defenders often have anime ass avatars and live that life. I find myself in the middle where I don't really give a shit about a games presentation unless it seems super pandering like in some jp games or kinda ugly in the case of nrs.

Makes me wonder how GAF would react (or FGC in general) if there was a western styled fighter that used Arcana Heart's arcana system.
I think they'd love it
and also they'd think it was the first game to do it (like people forgetting about Moons before MKX)

I imagine they'd complain about the aesthetics and/or gameplay being western styled, like there is already.

Most of these anti sprite anti drawing people aren't on GAF. Xrd gets plenty of praise on here and MK gets plenty of bitching about character design, art style, and gameplay.

Assuming of course you mean MK or KI like as western, given that people refer to Skullgirls as anime styled or inspired all the time.

zlatko

Banned
I dno man we always come to the point where people are saying fuck anime and others are trying to illustrate what is interesting about the fucking thousands of games with that art style. It obviously comes down to aesthetic preference because the defenders often have anime ass avatars and live that life. I find myself in the middle where I don't really give a shit about a games presentation unless it seems super pandering like in some jp games or kinda ugly in the case of nrs.

You saying you don't like mah anime avatar? ;)

I find some anime games lame... I don't think Melty Blood looks good, and its cast is meh. Same with Arcana Heart games. Even Blazblue now is turning me off with some of the DLC cast it started to get.

Then again Dead or Alive doesn't do shit for me.

I think I just don't see the appeal in sexualizing the shit out of female characters, and I feel like a creepy ass dude playing them when I have an almost 7 year old daughter lol. I rarely let her watch which games I play, but Super Smash Bros. for example that I just got I will let her watch/mess around with. I want her to see bad ass females like Sheik...not underboob squirrel girl. :/

OceanBlue

I mean off like single hits you get respectable damage. Low > special cancel out of neutral is a decent chunk, you can get tagged by a 3 hit whiff punish and lose 1/4 life.

Ah yeah, in that case definitely. Sorry, I was just thinking of high damage in general off of stuff like punishes.

I think they'd love it
The same way people would react if an MvC3 update came out tomorrow with SG's custom assists and absolute guard which was in all the versus games before and disappeared in MvC3 for some reason.

IAD buffers, 360 protection and Pushblock guard cancels for all the games!

Seyavesh

to be fair: look at it

the aesthetic aspect of fgs is pretty important to the degree of attracting folks and both of these games have one that can really turn folks off

same w/ ah3. especially ah3, i think- everything i've heard about how that game works and what i've seen of it appeals to me but the char designs turn me off mega hard from that game. if they combined the mechanics of these games with one that appealed to western players then it'd probably work out better

...though i'm not too sure about that either given that the only other two examples of western fighting games that have even been put into the blender are skullgirls and MK which are pretty much as different as can be

Funny because this must be how hardcore MK fans must see hardcore SF fans with avatars from their respective series. It's like one big chain of judgement lol.

In the end we're playing videogames and it is all equally "gamey"... except Arcana Heart and Makoto story mode. Even anime should have it's limits.

Crocodile

You saying you don't like mah anime avatar? ;)

I find some anime games lame... I don't think Melty Blood looks good, and its cast is meh. Same with Arcana Heart games. Even Blazblue now is turning me off with some of the DLC cast it started to get.

Then again Dead or Alive doesn't do shit for me.

I think I just don't see the appeal in sexualizing the shit out of female characters, and I feel like a creepy ass dude playing them when I have an almost 7 year old daughter lol. I rarely let her watch which games I play, but Super Smash Bros. for example that I just got I will let her watch/mess around with. I want her to see bad ass females like Sheik...not underboob squirrel girl. :/

But Mortal Kombat is ok in this regard? This point doesn't strike me as an East vs. West thing (though the West makes so many fewer fighting games in general).

The same way people would react if an MvC3 update came out tomorrow with SG's custom assists and absolute guard which was in all the versus games before and disappeared in MvC3 for some reason.

more like "lol dead game getting updates, who cares"

:p

Astarte

On a happier note:

I would love a Capcom "Dream Game" where they took One Piece, Naurto, Hunter x Hunter, and a few other popular action animes to create a 2D fighter.

I would bust savage nuts to play Luffy vs Naruto or some crazy match ups like that.

You got mugen for that, or hope for another Jump mashup that isn't crap.

If I ever need emotes, I know who to contact lol

Do not ask me why I made this:
PyOjPe8.png

Also, for everyone else, here is a reg. version of that emote:
6bvWLZT.png

Dahbomb

Yea I am in the same boat here. I can tolerate some anime levels but after a certain point I am like "fuck this pedo loli crap". Skullgirls is my limit and I really only gave a fuck because it's the only other actual team assist type game aside Marvel along with having some interesting mechanics like custom assists. I still think Skullgirls has some inherent problems outside of just bad artstyle but that stuff is more tolerable for most people than the art.

Dahbomb

I don't think anyone would go crazy over custom assists in MVC3 mostly because that would just introduce more problems than fixes. You need a game built from the ground up and balanced from day 1 with custom assists.

Absolute guard is not needed in MVC3 (I am assuming you are talking about the unblockable protection system in Skullgirl and not the don't need to hold back on stick to keep blocking when in block stun) though push blocking to negate block stun would have some interesting applications in MVC3 to get out of some BS stuff. However, it's better to fix that BS stuff than to put in a brand new mechanic. Like for example it's better to just fix Vergil chipping you with Spiral Swords and keeping you in block stun than to have a universal mechanic to get around it because really there aren't many situations of crazy long block stuns/lock down in MVC3 aside from like 4 things.

Really the main thing that would get people excited is if they fixed/reworked TACs, toned down the top tiers, buffed some low tiers with some key changes and toned down XF2/XF3 a lot of people would be very happy.

Azure J

Oh there's definitely a limit, no doubt. I just don't like scorched earth/baby and bath water approaches for media.

zlatko

Banned
But Mortal Kombat is ok in this regard? This point doesn't strike me as an East vs. West thing (though the West makes so many fewer fighting games in general).

MKX has reeled itself back in compared to past costumes for a lot of its female cast.

Granted everyone is rocking triple D knockers, but at least they aren't in a string bikini in MKX like DoA gives you costume options for. Plus, I think there was a big debate a long ago in off topic GAF about underboob vs sideboob vs clevage as which is more "sexual" and the trend was that under boob was far more sexual than a woman with a big cleavage.

Either way... I'm not letting a 7 year old watch MKX either. For me though it helps me a lot that the male character's in the cast are cool looking imo. The females in MKX also wreck shit fairly hard, and so I can overlook the big hooters thing. In DoA all I really see is just Japan horniness at its finest. Makoto in BB just isn't my cup of tea.

She is Q's waifu forever though. :p

Rhapsody

Banned

Speaking of which, I nerded out by all the stuff on the Ultrachen stream last night. I love Mike Z's ideas he's put in along with throwing FG history lessons here and there. Been labbing the game as of late on my PS3 for fun. I never played the game enough to where I'd play people, but I finally found a team I enjoyed.

Messing with Squigly/Big Band/Cerebella right now. Really excited for Robo Fortune too when console gets her.

alstein

I think they'd love it

Thought variations were more like Slash/Bust from SamSho 3/4 than Melty Moons.

Speaking of which, I nerded out by all the stuff on the Ultrachen stream last night. I love Mike Z's ideas he's put in along with throwing FG history lessons here and there. Been labbing the game as of late on my PS3 for fun. I never played the game enough to where I'd play people, but I finally found a team I enjoyed.

Messing with Squigly/Big Band/Cerebella right now. Really excited for Ms Fortune too when console gets her.

PC version is really good for it as well. PC port done right. Just wish I liked more characters, and they hadn't allowed 3-person teams (2 vs 2 feels better)

Top Bottom