• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Combo Breaker Pools: http://tinyurl.com/cb2015pools

MYST 121

Really glad to see MYST making a resurgence after all these years.

MystCover.png

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Combo Breaker Pools: http://tinyurl.com/cb2015pools

MKX 260
USF4 265
GGXrd 156
SSB4 139
KI 103
UMvC3 92
TTT2 58
MYST 121
Melee 75
P4AU 37
UNIEL 63
KoF13 40
INJ 31
SG 104
DK 44
LL 35
VS 30
MvC2 22
Garou 27
UMK3 14

According to the testing done in our lab.... Marvel

is.....

NOT DEAD!

crowd goes wild

great article but kind of depressing in a way.

Well there's a work around.

Competitive MYST. Kreygasm

Is it speedruns or something? I've never played myst before.

Kumubou

I always thought how games like Melty Blood and Aquapazza handle guard breaks was interesting. Both games have a standard-ish guard break system, but they also have a just defend mechanic that protects you from being guard broken. You can't get guard broken when just defending, and in both games players can actively avoid a guard break situation without having to forgo blocking, which reduces some of the silliness of guaranteed guard break setups and situations where both players start playing like idiots because one player is fishing for a guard break and the other is trying to avoid it.

Footnotes for people who don't know how the games work:

Melty Blood has a visible guard gauge, but whiffing shields (think parries; they're different from UNIEL's shields) also causes your guard meter to go down faster. So whiffing shields, even if not directly punished will lead to you getting guard broken faster -- and the effect stacks. Whiffing four shields and then being forced to block is a ticket to getting guard broken quickly. Also, one of the moon modes (Half) does not have EX guard as an option at all -- although the game does give you a 50% longer guard gauge to somewhat compensate for that.

Aquapazza has the emotion system (which actually effects a number of things), but when you are in low emotion you are at risk of getting guard broken, and blocking always lowers your emotion level over time. However, impact guard (the game's just guard mechanic) will raise your emotion and prevents guard breaks (and chip damage, which can be just as important in certain match-ups). The dumb thing about this is that when you are in danger of being guard broken, you take more damage, do less damage and build less meter than you would normally -- and the buff is significant (~30% buff/debuff on average, and they can stack). And supers do more/less damage in high/low emotion (and actually change), on top of the damage bonus/penalty, because why not.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Games like Shovel Knight and the Binding of Issac.

Make it transparent as possible so that the player knows what they are getting into and not criticize on the game on its art. It sort of goes among the line of being consistent with what you do, is what I got from it at least. It won't do much though since you will be catering to a "niche" crowd who find nostalgia or joy from games that go within that direction. Although, in the long run, which is why I called it a work around, "pixel art" will still have the stigma it does. Just go straight into 3D unless you plan to hand draw every animation/environment for a 2D game, which is a hassle in it of itself without a multi-talented team with the money and hours to do so, which is the message I got from the person writing this article. I added in the hand drawn stuff myself cause some pretty damn artsy/breathtaking games that have been hand drawn to promote its fluidity and depth.

Exile20

Did you know that Gonzalo “Zero” Barrios has come in 1st place in 34 consecutive Smash Bros. Wii U tournaments? Looks like he's the man to beat...and no one can beat him. What do you do to rally the troops with the aim of bumping off the king? You put a bounty on his head!
Fellow competitive Smash Bros. Wii U players are tired of Zero taking first place, so they're making sure all other players step up their game. Believe it or not, two entrants are offering a total of $500 if you can manage to knock Zero out of the competition. Make sure he's not a factor anymore and the money is yours. Zero is well aware of this and isn't ready to lay down his sword.
Is there anyone out there there that can take down this Smash fiend?! If so, they're about to line their pockets with some scratch at the same time!
http://gonintendo.com/stories/23385...mpetitive-community-adds-incentive-to-take-ou
http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-player-is-so-damn-good-theres-a-bounty-on-1705875804

CurlyW

Combo Breaker also has more pre-registered, unique entrants than UFGTX did last year, which I did not think was possible.

pixelish

Combo Breaker also has more pre-registered, unique entrants than UFGTX did last year, which I did not think was possible.

cool, combo breaker did really well in continuing the legacy of its predecessor. may i know how many unique players are participating in the tournament this weekend so far?

Negaduck

Pretty hype for combo breaker's SG. Local dude Negus is rolling out. I don't follow the SG scene but from my understanding a few of the really strong SG players in the US are from Fresno lol.

Good to see such strong numbers for Mk also.

Going to be a great tournament.

alstein

So many people dropping out of college for Marvel.

powerful

Fighting games made it 12 years for me, (with 9 of those years being lost)

Then again if it wasn't for that, I'd probably have done something even dumber, or become an objectivist asshole.

zlatko

Banned
Spooky's stream someone is saying that Grr has great meter management because he plays Ferra/Torr, and basically sits on X-Ray the whole time.

...I guess he doesn't know shit about Ferra/Torr, because that is EXACTLY what you do. The combo set up from FT into X-ray always nets you 50%. Normal bnb combos are 30% bare minimum if you know what you are doing. That means between the X-ray, and 1 combo, all you need is some chip damage or piddly hits.

Plus, unlike the rest of the cast, EX moves for FT are ass in that variation so you are heavily encouraged to just save up for the X-ray or a breaker if you need it.

So really... he doesn't have great meter management. His character just doesn't use meter until it's all filled lol.

Mr. X

Pretty hype for combo breaker's SG. Local dude Negus is rolling out. I don't follow the SG scene but from my understanding a few of the really strong SG players in the US are from Fresno lol.

Good to see such strong numbers for Mk also.

Going to be a great tournament.
EC > MW > WC for SG

Top Bottom