• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

zlatko

Banned
Grr using lackey on Ferra/Torr was made hype. Against Kung Lao too.

I'm glad to see how far Ferra/Torr has come. Even has spun me around where at first I thought FT was bottom tier as shit, and now I would say top 10.

zlatko

Banned
Finals were great, people really sleeping on f/t. Character is dope.

I've messed with the character, but I do Ruthless variant. My issue is his standard BnB's use forward 3 into then stand 4 into back forward 4, and I'll drop it so much.

However, if I ignore the forward 3, and just do stand 4 into bf4 then I hit it. Depending on what the starter was it's 30% bare minimum, but with the 3 in there you gain 4% if I recall correctly.

Grr is a good guy. Mad props.

if it's acceptable to reward players for shitty defense, why not reward players for excellent offense too?

Offensive play is already rewarded when their life bar goes down. It's the entire purpose of the game. To make your opponent's bar disappear. That's already the ultimate reward. Why do you need EVEN MORE of a reward for doing what you would already do anyways?

Also, super meter already rewards you for offensive play. Super Meter and Ultra Meter are siblings. If you have a problem with one, you should have a problem with the other.

And, then on top of that, stun is yet ANOTHER reward for offense.

Good defense is a lost art these days. Today's games make opening up your opponent so easy, it's crazy.

Xevren

I've messed with the character, but I do Ruthless variant. My issue is his standard BnB's use forward 3 into then stand 4 into back forward 4, and I'll drop it so much.

However, if I ignore the forward 3, and just do stand 4 into bf4 then I hit it. Depending on what the starter was it's 30% bare minimum, but with the 3 in there you gain 4% if I recall correctly.

Grr is a good guy. Mad props.

Yea doing the f3 in combo's is kind of weird, even when I use him I just don't do that and lose a small percentage. Would rather just go for combo's I know I can hit.

Zissou

I agree with what many have said- dizzy is mostly an unnecessary reward for someone already being rewarded. It kind of works in SF4, but that's more a testament to SF4's wack ass offense than it is to dizzy being a great idea. Tangentially related, but I'm also fundamentally opposed to systems like GRD/negative pen/getting meter for simply moving fwd/etc. becuase they seem very artificial and either useless (if your game is well-designed) or a bandaid (because the game has major issues at a fundamental level).

Thores

Add me to Team Stun is Redundant and Awful. I really wish the Street Fighter series would put that mechanic out to pasture already.

zlatko

Banned
Quick and dirty:

small_img.php

Who does he play as? Why is he so good?

I'm about to finally get back home on Friday and will fire up Smash and Witcher 3. Wii U came in Monday while I was away for work so I'm itching to play it.

I may study some of his videos if he's the "DAIGOAT" of Smash 4.

After playing so much offline this weekend, XBL ain't nearly as fun as it used to be. Starting to feel like a chore whoopin these ninjas assets.

Dahbomb

Ah thanks. That's more generic of a shell than I was expecting for point Shuma, haha.
Plasma Beam to get in and Jam Session to lock them down for the cheap mix ups that Shuma has. Makes a lot of sense.

This is the way you make some of these lower tier characters playable. When some players just pick low tier they go full low tier and pick crap assists for their low tier characters. Then they lose badly going against top point characters backed up by top tier assists.

Reality is that pretty much any character in this game aside from like 5 can wreck with Doom and Dante in the back

Rhapsody

Banned
Plasma Beam to get in and Jam Session to lock them down for the cheap mix ups that Shuma has. Makes a lot of sense.

This is the way you make some of these lower tier characters playable. When some players just pick low tier they go full low tier and pick crap assists for their low tier characters. Then they lose badly going against top point characters backed up by top tier assists.

Reality is that pretty much any character in this game aside from like 5 can wreck with Doom and Dante in the back

Yeah, true. Just like Marvel 2, you'll have those really good characters for DHC/assist to help those underused characters.
Very similar to just giving Doom Rocks or CapCom assist to them.

Dahbomb

Yeah, true. Just like Marvel 2, you'll have those really good characters for DHC/assist to help those underused characters.
Neither Doom nor Dante are top point characters...they are just top assists. It would be like playing Cammy on point backed up by Psylocke and CapCom in MVC2. When you think about, a team of Shuma/Doom/Dante is basically a team of 3 top assist characters.

I guess it's most similar to playing Blackheart/Dr Doom/CapCom in MVC2.

It's pretty much why it's important to have characters who have both good assists and are good as points. The original Marvel 3 philosophy of design was clearly "these characters are points and these will be assists". The problem is that it destroys potential team synergies and just shoehorns you into using the same character archetype vs the same assist character types (ie. "rushdown" point character like Wolverine/Felicia/Jill/X23 backed up by support beam character like Doom/Iron Man/Hawkeye etc). Eventually people just figure out the best archetypes for each class (Best rushdown character, best zoning character, best character with a beam, best character with a vertical assist, best anchor) and then put them on a team.

In Skullgirls everyone is designed to be a good point character and by virtue of having custom assists end up being usable assist characters as well. That's why more team combinations are possible despite the smaller roster size.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Didn't people put their mortgages on the line for MvC2? lol

sanford kelly was practically homeless because of this game (and his determination to beat Justin). it's insane how much this game has affected people.

Fighting games made it 12 years for me, (with 9 of those years being lost)

Then again if it wasn't for that, I'd probably have done something even dumber, or become an objectivist asshole.
a resounding WAT @ all of this

Seyavesh

a resounding WAT @ all of this
there is a very real reason why marvel 2 was called (is called?) 'crack'

i have dipped into crackland with marvel 3 and it is both a wondrous and dark place that has an ihop or denny's near it's exit for every time you visit
hearing dudes did it every day for months on end explains a lot about the sheer level of play in that game from those dudes and how insane justin is

Rhapsody

Banned
Neither Doom nor Dante are top point characters...they are just top assists. It would be like playing Cammy on point backed up by Psylocke and CapCom in MVC2. When you think about, a team of Shuma/Doom/Dante is basically a team of 3 top assist characters.

I guess it's most similar to playing Blackheart/Dr Doom/CapCom in MVC2.

It's pretty much why it's important to have characters who have both good assists and are good as points. The original Marvel 3 philosophy of design was clearly "these characters are points and these will be assists". The problem is that it destroys potential team synergies and just shoehorns you into using the same character archetype vs the same assist character types (ie. "rushdown" point character like Wolverine/Felicia/Jill/X23 backed up by support beam character like Doom/Iron Man/Hawkeye etc). Eventually people just figure out the best archetypes for each class (Best rushdown character, best zoning character, best character with a beam, best character with a vertical assist, best anchor) and then put them on a team.

I clarified in my edit, which is ironically the same assist examples you chose as well, lol.

But yeah, I definitely do notice that formula for creating teams in 3 where it's point character assisted by beam and etc.
I definitely had a lot more fun messing around with low tier team creation in 2 compared to 3. Even if the answer in both of them usually revolved around getting that top tier assist/shell, it was really exciting to do and mess with. Unfortunately they still get shut down harder against the top teams in 2 while 3 gives you some breathing room just because of mechanics.

Dahbomb

There were some crazier assist types in Marvel 2 that didn't make it into Marvel 3. Stuff like a Healing assist or a command throw assist were interesting to play around even if they didn't end up being competitively viable. Then there were crazy broken/glitched assists like the Tron assist that took like 1/3rd of your health by itself. Would play that assist against my friends and they didn't know how they kept losing chunks of life so easily!

Marvel 3 has some interesting assists too and some that do get played at high level like Trish's Peakaboo, MODOK's Shield and Bomb, Racoon's Log Trap, Nova's Shield, Vajra, Mystic Ray and Liberation assist (ok this one is not used at high level seriously but it's interesting!).

Who does he play as? Why is he so good?

I'm about to finally get back home on Friday and will fire up Smash and Witcher 3. Wii U came in Monday while I was away for work so I'm itching to play it.

I may study some of his videos if he's the "DAIGOAT" of Smash 4.
He plays Diddy/Sheik. Diddy as a loyalist (but Diddy is still really good post-patch) and Sheik to fill holes in his game plan.

Rhapsody

Banned
Spidey+Tron assist as a vortex was one of the most amusing things to do in that game. Spidey had some messed up hitboxes back then lol

Top Bottom