• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

Rhapsody

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";164657256]Iceman/Shuma/Commando for life son

get dat chip damage[/QUOTE]

Speaking of which, when Marvel 2 first came out on PSN/XBL, there were a ton of Ice Man players online. I know he was one of those characters like Black Heart that was considered good early in its life, but it was so amusing to see so many of them online.

It's like history was repeating itself.

Anne

Speaking of which, when Marvel 2 first came out on PSN/XBL, there were a ton of Ice Man players online. I know he was one of those characters like Black Heart that was considered good early in its life, but it was so amusing to see so many of them online.

That came out in 2009, right? Are you sure you weren't constantly fighting Japan?

Iceman is such a troll to Storm and Cable players since he doesn't take chip damage.

Dahbomb

People forget things easily when it comes to the times that MVC2 came out in.

We didn't have solid internet back then or youtube videos. Most people who played MVC2 even at arcades didn't really know or care about tier lists. Yea sure the FGC knew about the top tier stuff and players but the casual audience didn't.. at least not as much as the casual player nowadays knows that Zero/Doom etc are top tier in Marvel 3 thanks to streaming technology. You basically heard a lot of stories related to MVC2 back in the day and a lot of hearsay flew around. Stuff like "yo this guy in this area figured out this tech that is totally crazy!". Then you try to locate that tech and it turns out that tech was just some random ass Amingo team combo.

People probably thought their team of Megaman/Blackheart/Ice Man was fucking great because they beat their friends with it. Then they went online with their "broken" Iceman and got blown up by the real top tiers then either picked the top tiers or probably never played the game again.

If MVC2 had came out instead of MVC3 in the same time frame it would've probably died out way earlier ESPECIALLY if Justin dominated even half as much as he did back in the day. The slow dissemination of information, no stream monster culture and lack of real competition from other fighting games allowed MVC2 to live as long as it did.

Listening to Viscant talk about MVC2 at times pretty much supports this and he would agree. Whenever people talk about character diversity or balance in MVC3, Viscant just shakes his head and then laughs at those people.

I was really fortunate to go to an arcade that people took Marvel 2 serious, and... well some of them even made top 8 at EVO!

I've always liked fighting games, but it wasn't until Marvel 2 that I found out about stuff like EVO etc... You just hear Alpha/Alpha2 stories, about big tournaments in Cali, but didn't know what they actually were.

NEO0MJ

Didn't we already have this discussion about Daigo
and Smug?

original

just give Smug 5 years, he'll be ready to knock them down.

I think the common thread with MvC and Dota is the team building aspect and why its so interesting at least in the beginning of a fighting game.

My MvC2 team was based on me liking Sim and Finding Rocks locked while Cable AA'ed. I also used OmegaRed/Guile/CC for reasons? I dunno. It was fun to find fun team combos.

Same with MvC3. I think having ABCSBBCS was a great way for people to make fun teams. Honestly a lot of the fun was at the character select screen. Maybe its the IPA talking but I can't think of another game where team synergy and working well was so much fun. XCOM or Advance War maybe?

Zissou

To me, what defines marvel is:

1. Truly meaningful team synergy (really capturing the spirit of team being YOUR team. Obviously less so as the game evolved and many players gravitated toward popular duos or entire set teams, but even so, that aspect is still very present even today)

2. Verticality (X and Y axis equally important- no other fighting has such exploration of both axes of movement)

3. Movement (tremendous speed and flexibility moving around the screen)

4. Engine flexibility (when you ask “Hmm, is there some way to do X?” the answer is usually “YES!”) For example- Years ago, was playing point Doom with vajra assist against my friend who plays point Haggar. At the time, I had no combo to ToD Haggar off of common starters. I thought- how the hell do I reset Haggar without getting hit by lariat/pipe/whatever? I ended up working out a cross under footdive + vajra reset which was a true 50/50 while being immune to the other player mashing or doing something invincible to get out. I feel like there’s always an answer if you’re willing to look for it and it’s almost impossible to spend some time in training mode without finding something new and interesting.

alstein

1. Truly meaningful team synergy (really capturing the spirit of team being YOUR team. Obviously less so as the game evolved and many players gravitated toward popular duos or entire set teams, but even so, that aspect is still very present even today)

2. Verticality (X and Y axis equally important- no other fighting has such exploration of both axes of movement)

4. Engine flexibility (when you ask “Hmm, is there some way to do X?” the answer is usually “YES!”) For example- Years ago, was playing point Doom with vajra assist against my friend who plays point Haggar. At the time, I had no combo to ToD Haggar off of common starters. I thought- how the hell do I reset Haggar without getting hit by lariat/pipe/whatever? I ended up working out a cross under footdive + vajra reset which was a true 50/50 while being immune to the other player mashing or doing something invincible to get out. I feel like there’s always an answer if you’re willing to look for it and it’s almost impossible to spend some time in training mode without finding something new and interesting.

With the exception of #1, I take it you've never played Arcana Heart then?

Beats Marvel at 2, 3, and 4.

Zissou

With the exception of #1, I take it you've never played Arcana Heart then?

Beats Marvel at 2, 3, and 4.

I'm kind of vaguely aware of its existence, haha. If you could provide a video showing how Arcana Heart has those elements, I would love to watch it.

alstein

I'm kind of vaguely aware of its existence, haha. If you could provide a video showing how Arcana Heart has those elements, I would love to watch it.

Don't own the game anymore, as I've sold off all my consoles and went PC only. I think Art put out a video years ago though.

Anne

I'll never forget the time I was in a Gamestop considering grabbing the NA version AH3LM!!!!!. I picked it up off the shelf and a police officer immediately walked in the door, so I decided it wasn't worth it.

I'll never forget the time I was in a Gamestop considering grabbing the NA version AH3LM!!!!!. I picked it up off the shelf and a police officer immediately walked in the door, so I decided it wasn't worth it.

wasnt your avatar pointed the other way last week.

also is vgp | andre west chaotix? If so he's also in my pool

Rhapsody

Banned
So I heard in UNIST, they're making First Attack of a round give the attacker Vorpal?

That's... no. Do not keep this change French Bread.

I wish I could bold all of it.

For 4. Hsien-Ko gold assist and Point Deadpool was a discovery where I almost had a joystick thrown at me at work. Vajra felt illegal on how good it worked with Wesker or Doom on incoming. I think Max's video showed how f-H footdive crossed up in the corner and then I used that with Drones or Vajra.

zlatko

Banned
I like how people say give smug five years and then he will be ready to beat top players. I'm pretty sure that's like saying I can beat Michael Jordan in hoops when he's 85 years old,but in his prime? Naw.

fader

5 years?... come on guys... that's the silliest thing I've read today besides "shoto's clones shouldn't be in sf5 because action stars don't do fireballs."

Nyoro SF

5 years?... come on guys... that's the silliest thing I've read today besides "shoto's clones shouldn't be in sf5 because action stars don't do fireballs."

Not as bad as "characters without fireballs aren't Street Fighter characters" I read two years back

Marz

I like how people say give smug five years and then he will be ready to beat top players. I'm pretty sure that's like saying I can beat Michael Jordan in hoops when he's 85 years old,but in his prime? Naw.

You would still get worked by an 85 year old MJ in all honesty.

Still can't block the baseline fadeaway.

Kumubou

And that's why I order all of my retail games online. It could be worse, at least you were not trying to buy something like [REDACTED] or [REDACTED] from GameStop.

So I heard in UNIST, they're making First Attack of a round give the attacker Vorpal?

That's... no. Do not keep this change French Bread.
I'm curious: why do you hate this change so much? I'm unsure myself, but I can see why developers would add a mechanic (to help push more aggression early on in rounds). Do you think it's mainly going to help already strong characters just start snowballing even harder? I'm not thrilled at the idea of Gordeau having vorpal at 99 seconds, but I think it really depends on other system/character changes overall.

Side note: with this new rule, does opening a round with a trade give both players vorpal? It's a situation that I think is really interesting (the various meta game decisions get silly quick) but is super-rare in matches.

Top Bottom