• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

Dahbomb

Yea I am with Karst on KI. It was a product of its time (the 90s) and a lot has changed since then. Plus Rare has limited fighting game pedigree, way worse than NRS. The game will generate interest if the graphics are pretty and the game play flashy but I am not expecting a high end technical fighter. The absolute worst thing it can have going for it if its a Kinect based fighter.

But if they bring it then good for them. We need more studios trying their luck at fighters, better than another shooter on the market.

Who, outside of nostalgia-filled adults, would buy a Killer Instinct game? I wouldn't even bother, and I owned both games.

People are consistently excited to play the Killer Instinct cab at the best-known arcade here in PDX. I see it all the time. They're like "FUCK YES, KILLER INSTINCT!! C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRR"

And then they put a quarter in, and then they start playing, and they realize it's shit, and this is one of those things from the 90s that could have only worked in the 90s.

Every time, this is what happens.

Ghazi

So you guys, future fighting game tournies for next gen fighting games are probably going to be only on PS4. I guess it was the PS3's fault all along :(

kirblar

Yea I am with Karst on KI. It was a product of its time (the 90s) and a lot has changed since then. Plus Rare has limited fighting game pedigree, way worse than NRS. The game will generate interest if the graphics are pretty and the game play flashy but I am not expecting a high end technical fighter. The absolute worst thing it can have going for it if its a Kinect based fighter.

But if they bring it then good for them. We need more studios trying their luck at fighters, better than another shooter on the market.
Rare is Rare in name only at this point.

The Light

Even so, what is the game's actual appeal? It was a big deal back in the day because it was flashy. The graphics were pretty substantial for its time. The character designs were not generally interesting. It was like Darkstalkers without character design talent. The gameplay was always mediocre.

Who, outside of nostalgia-filled adults, would buy a Killer Instinct game? I wouldn't even bother, and I owned both games.

And does Rare even have the talent to make a good fighting game these days? That's not something you can take a decade-long hiatus from and go back to.

As Toddhunter said the violence was a big part of the appeal. Honestly nostalgia is what drives me in wanting another one. Now that you mention it though I did hear that everyone that was part of golden-age rare is now gone, but not sure if true.

CurlyW

And does Rare even have the talent to make a good fighting game these days? That's not something you can take a decade-long hiatus from and go back to.

KI3 to be the first fighting game where all the characters are in customizable motorized carts.

Edit: In seriousness, I probably would buy a new Killer Instinct game simply because I loved it as kid. Though by that logic, it means I'd be going opening weekend if they ever make Space Jam 2.

sleepykyo

Fighters aren't demanding on PCs at all. The main barrier for entry in terms of PCs being used for FG tournaments is plugging in your controller/stick to play on the spot. A lot of not so common controllers take awhile to set up in auxiliary menus. Button checks would be cumbersome on PC. It works for games like LoL/SC2 because they use KB/M standard.

If players have a hard time with 2 timing standards, they're going to be pretty screwed with the myriad of configurations that are going to be possible.

PS3 was the Evo standard because Sony gave it to them.
What if Microoft gives Evo One's though.

Then it becomes standard. For that matter it isn't like the activation fee is anything new. Buy a pc game or Microsoft Office and it is the same thing. You get a coaster and an activation code.

sleepykyo

Come E3, Enzogaf will be sporting an Only on Xbox avatar. Microsoft must have had plenty of publisher support for killing used games and rentals.

Kikujiro

Isn't Rare doing Kinect games nowadays? I guess it will be Killer Instinct Kinect.

As for Fanatiq, I agree with FatboyRoberts, ignore his passive aggressive tweets, but expose his shameless antics.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
enzogt: its not ten dollars

when_is_marvel: you pay 60 dollars

enzogt_gaf: It isn't $10, it is full price

enzogt: its the full price

So that just happened.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Every time this sort of news happens, I make a post lamenting the days when the future of gaming was full of untapped potential instead of new ways to screw over the consumer at every turn. This is that post for today.

Grecco

Even so, what is the game's actual appeal? It was a big deal back in the day because it was flashy. The graphics were pretty substantial for its time. The character designs were not generally interesting. It was like Darkstalkers without character design talent. The gameplay was always mediocre.

Same people who bought MK9

This is interesting in retrospect (NOTE THE DATE, this is not news):
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

KI3 to be the first fighting game where all the characters are in customizable motorized carts.

Edit: In seriousness, I probably would buy a new Killer Instinct game simply because I loved it as kid. Though by that logic, it means I'd be going opening weekend if they ever make Space Jam 2.
Check your PMs.

Wii U baby!
I love mine. Over 200 hours on it so far.

enzogt: its not ten dollars

when_is_marvel: you pay 60 dollars

enzogt_gaf: It isn't $10, it is full price

enzogt: its the full price

So that just happened.
LOL, twilight zone!

smurfx

get some go again
man the news just keeps getting worse and worse. i went with the 360 this gen because it got the better ports and had a bigger online community but i'll switch to ps4 with no problems. i'll probably wait till a good fighting game is released and then buy it.

j0le4BenWPP25.jpg

pretty much sums up my response right now to the console. unless sony absolutely shits the bed at e3 then they have a real shot at being the top console next gen.

Dahbomb

Man my YouTube channel has been blowing up with people going Terminator mode on the Xbox. I am just waiting for the Main Event rant, shit is going to be godlike!

onionfrog

I would rather play a new Toshinden than a new Killer Instinct. Eiji. ♥
It's all about Ellis and Duke for me. I'd buy a new Battle Arena Toshinden day 1!

Oh snap, I didn't realize there was a Toshinden 4 released in Japan and Europe. Was it any good guys?

i never digged KI cause of the pre-rendered sprites.

and the animation was a bit shit too, especially after playing Darkstalkers at the arcades.

Could stand to use a few more games, but otherwise, I got no complaints w/ ours, either.

Got Injustice for 360 though. But that's more because I have TE's for the 360.
I wouldn't buy a competitive game on the Wii U unless I had to for that reason, and because everyone is going to be wireless (ew). Plus the established fighter bases are on PS3/360. I would be playing alone among the GAF membership. I'm cool with the Wii U's current state because I know it won't stay this way. I usually only buy 5-10 games per system, and I've already reached the 5 game points with the Wii U through announced and current titles combined. This was my standard for the PS3 as well. Unfortunately, the XBox 360 only ever had one game I wanted for it, and that's Beyonetta due to a botched port job on the PS3 version. I've never seen anything else worth owning the system for.

I still own an XBox 360 with Kinect ($160 total!), but it's just my wife's Dance Central machine.

Sayah

I wouldn't buy Xbox One even if my favorite franchises were exclusive to it (Souls, KH, Tekken). Killer Instinct? lol

I really hope Xbox One is a complete failure.

I've never understood the appeal in buying Microsoft consoles anyway. Sony and Nintendo provide faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better 1st party support. 98% of Microsoft titles are shallow/boring.

And all the multi-plat stuff you can buy on Sony's platform anyway. Xbox pretty much thrived on multiplat titles in the past few years. Even Nintendo during Wii's dying moments gave better support to their console (rainfall games, DKCR, Skyward Sword, etc).

I wouldn't buy a competitive game on the Wii U unless I had to for that reason, and because everyone is going to be wireless (ew). Plus the established fighter bases are on PS3/360. I would be playing alone among the GAF membership. I'm cool with the Wii U's current state because I know it won't stay this way. I usually only buy 5-10 games per system, and I've already reached the 5 game points with the Wii U through announced and current titles combined. This was my standard for the PS3 as well. Unfortunately, the XBox 360 only ever had one game I wanted for it, and that's Beyonetta due to a botched port job on the PS3 version. I've never seen anything else worth owning the system for.

I still own an XBox 360 with Kinect ($160 total!), but it's just my wife's Dance Central machine.

The only game I want on Xbox 360 up to this day is Tales of Vesperia. Not interested in anything else.

kirblar

I wouldn't buy Xbox One even if my favorite franchises were exclusive to it (Souls, KH, Tekken). Killer Instinct? lol

I really hope Xbox One is a complete failure.

I've never understood the appeal in buying Microsoft consoles anyway. Sony and Nintendo provide faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better 1st party support. 98% of Microsoft titles are shallow/boring.

And all the multi-plat stuff you can buy on Sony's platform anyway. Xbox pretty much thrived on multiplat titles in the past few years. Even Nintendo during Wii's dying moments gave better support to their console (rainfall games, DKCR, Skyward Sword, etc).
XBOX Live/PC-style multiplayer was always the big draw.

Despite all the bullshit, the 360 is still a damn good system. I've gotten a lot of play out of it thanks to all the 2D shooters, arcade ports, and so on. Not to mention that up until I got a decent PC it was my choice for multi-platform games.

I'll be honest. I've never viewed 1st party efforts as a major factor in my enjoyment of a console.

Whats with EG guys tweeting about papa johns deals? Really random lol, are they partnered with them now or just some weird joke?

Sayah

XBOX Live/PC-style multiplayer was always the big draw.

The online is the only thing that can really be applauded but even that requires extra payments so I don't know.

Despite all the bullshit, the 360 is still a damn good system. I've gotten a lot of play out of it thanks to all the 2D shooters, arcade ports, and so on. Not to mention that up until I got a decent PC it was my choice for multi-platform games.

I'll be honest. I've never viewed 1st party efforts as a major factor in my enjoyment of a console.

Yep. Really great system.

Top Bottom