• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What do you mean by that? I'm always in stream chats especially for big events seems pretty normal for me. I could see a girl enjoying it too.

You're kidding right? Event heard the term grill? If you haven't you need to go on stream chats more often.

is there a more useless super than guy's?

does hella low damage, sucks ass as anti air, and randomly fails/drops.

Drop Guy and pick up Gief, we'll become G I E F B O Y Z by the end of the month.

I don't read stream chat, so someone inform me: aren't people usually pretty respectful and cool toward Persia? I know I love her on commentary. She has a ton of knowledge about Marvel, and she's pretty insightful as well. She isn't hype or meme generating, but she is generally pleasant to listen to. I've never heard her say anything off-putting or stupid, at least.

When I hear her talk, I always smile because I can imagine how much she must listen to Yipes talk about Marvel because she's married to him. I know my wife has a lot of Marvel knowledge from me. I know she plays, too, of course, and she's reasonably skilled at the game.

Anne

I call the game "specific" because I believe the answer is "little to none".

It's not as bad as you think, but it's def a sticking point. Persona tried to fix this, things like 5A and 5AA being things, 2Bs being universal AAs, C normals tending to serve similar functions, mapping certain functions the way they did, having SB moves that are intended as extensions, etc.

The main thing in GG isn't the buttons functions as much as it is the wonky ass animations and hitboxes, at least to me. There's a lot of times you hit a button and go "what is that supposed to even do?" when you first pick up a char. Every time I bring GG to newer players they have such a hard time figuring out buttons and how they're supposed to use them and I'm sitting here like :T the entire time.

I personally thin kit's worse in Blazblue to the extent of specific non universal esque tools and having to spend time with a character, but they laid out a lot of basic stuff to compensate, like the actual button layout and how things chain and can be taken apart.

It's not as bad as you think, but it's def a sticking point. Persona tried to fix this, things like 5A and 5AA being things, 2Bs being universal AAs, C normals tending to serve similar functions, mapping certain functions the way they did, having SB moves that are intended as extensions, etc.

The main thing in GG isn't the buttons functions as much as it is the wonky ass animations and hitboxes, at least to me. There's a lot of times you hit a button and go "what is that supposed to even do?" when you first pick up a char. Every time I bring GG to newer players they have such a hard time figuring out buttons and how they're supposed to use them and I'm sitting here like :T the entire time.

I personally thin kit's worse in Blazblue to the extent of specific non universal esque tools and having to spend time with a character, but they laid out a lot of basic stuff to compensate, like the actual button layout and how things chain and can be taken apart.
I think non-universal tools are fine. The real problem with BlazBlue is that basic chain combos do absolute crap for damage compared to "real" combos. You can ABC your first 100 games with a Marvel character and it's all good, but if you ABC in BlazBlue you feel like your opponent took chip damage. So you need to learn the "real" combos to compete casually, which is a huge pain.

On a side note, I adore Rachel's wind mechanic. I just wish it wasn't tied to a 10,000 year old loli vampire. She would be the perfect character for me, but I cringe at the thought of her design. How nice it would be if we got "Adult" Rachel in a sequel. Maybe she just decided to age herself - I don't know how it works.

Hey Shouta, just to let you know, Dadwicks is gonna put some money towards Q's Evo trip too, so I'll pm you in a day or two once I know how much we're putting in together.

Onemic

I don't read stream chat, so someone inform me: aren't people usually pretty respectful and cool toward Persia? I know I love her on commentary. She has a ton of knowledge about Marvel, and she's pretty insightful as well. She isn't hype or meme generating, but she is generally pleasant to listen to. I've never heard her say anything off-putting or stupid, at least.

When I hear her talk, I always smile because I can imagine how much she must listen to Yipes talk about Marvel because she's married to him. I know my wife has a lot of Marvel knowledge from me. I know she plays, too, of course, and she's reasonably skilled at the game.

There are exceptions of course. Persia is one of them for the most part.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Her commentary is sometimes questionable, even though she knows a lot, since she doesn't sound too confident in what she's saying, sometimes, other times she's great. Her meta on the game can be a little spotty when she's being the play by play commentator next to the color commentator. Really a 25/75 thing for me. With 25 her being ehhh and the 75 being good.

Also, since Yipes is the king of marvel hype, people don't dare to do anything against Persia cause it would be like saying it to Yipes and you know how mindless Mahvel fans love Yipes. I love his commentary too but you get the idea. Plus, I've seen her dip in on the chat from time to time and people treat it like any other FGC celeb and just keep on talking.

Anne

I think non-universal tools are fine. The real problem with BlazBlue is that basic chain combos do absolute crap for damage compared to "real" combos. You can ABC your first 100 games with a Marvel character and it's all good, but if you ABC in BlazBlue you feel like your opponent took chip damage. So you need to learn the "real" combos to compete casually, which is a huge pain.

On a side note, I adore Rachel's wind mechanic. I just wish it wasn't tied to a 10,000 year old loli vampire. She would be the perfect character for me, but I cringe at the thought of her design. How nice it would be if we got "Adult" Rachel in a sequel. Maybe she just decided to age herself - I don't know how it works.

I feel like that's a bigger problem in Xrd tbh. In BBCP at least most chars can do ABC > command normal > special and get over 2k, with few exceptions for the really technical ones. In Xrd watching players new to GG trying to figure out what even combos is a real treat.

I feel like that's a bigger problem in Xrd tbh. In BBCP at least most chars can do ABC > command normal > special and get over 2k, with few exceptions for the really technical ones. In Xrd watching players new to GG trying to figure out what even combos is a real treat.
I wish Zato had an ABC into knockdown.

5P
5S (mid range)
5H - oh wait, combo dropped.

Hmm let's try.....

5P!
5S!
22H - oh wait, combo dropped.

5P!
2D! - yeah, Zato's best universal meterless solo combo!

Anyway, I just want ASW to understand that unique strings do not make a character more interesting or unique to play.

I like UNIEL's Smart Steer / Passing Link mechanics cause you don't even need to worry about L>M>H to string together something. Haven't looked into how unoptimal damage is without doing extremely character specific stuff, but it at least feels powerful so it's okay.

Busaiku

Capcom expects SFV to sell 2 million in early 2015. They just released their fiscal report.
Not early 2015. During their fiscal year, which end March 31.
Also ship. It might release early April and still get that FY shipment (this happened before).

Essay

On one end you have games like GG and Vampire, and on the other, games like KOF and VF.

Both present unique design challenges.

By some coincidence you listed my four favourite games here. Hmm!

Yes, they're different beasts to approach, but there's no separating them for me in terms of final playability and head-to-head thrill. A good game is a good game. I guess that either end of this spectrum can turn off some players on the other end, but it just says more about those players' expectations than it does anything fundamental about fighting game design.

From my experience, there's just as much fun to be had in learning to read other players through the lens of roster interpretation (as with the former two), as through the lens of system interpretation (as with the latter two), if that's the perceived turning point here.

Fuck, and now to sleep before I turn into the Walt Whitman of the FGC.

Rhapsody

Banned

Hm... I guess for me it was easier to learn GG. It basically had a magic series too, and you could end with 2D sweep. BB, I'd have no idea how to do the knockdown for each character. I guess it varies person to person on which game clicks faster.

toryuken roll call?

+vulva
+essay
+AAK

blackule u in?
ayyyyyyyy leggo
Blackule: if your cousin can't make it, wanna be a team for the team tournament in Friday before TRK?
Cousin's coming, I thought it was going to be a 3v3 though since Russell usually does that for the majors. Oh well, still gotta MM Justin's Rose tho.. need that runback.
You mean you arent apart of the anbu clan on psn
I understood that reference etc etc PSN is free btw
Tekken 7 Yoshimitsu looks insane.

I think i've seen this design in one of those.. animes that people don't talk about often.

Sigmaah

If yall thought sf was wakeup fighter 4, mkx takes over that title as wakeup kombat X. This game has OD super armor.

Raiden thunder god is op as fok imo.

alstein

Capcom expects SFV to sell 2 million in early 2015. They just released their fiscal report.

That's a very reasonable expectation. I expect about an 80/20 PS4/PC split. (PC will do better than you think, as I think XB1 owners would rather buy on PC if they could, instead of buying a PS4 and paying a 2nd online junk tax)

I don't think SF5 will be bought by most of the SF4 crowd, and gain some new converts on Steam (though MKX being the flop it was on PC will make some PC folks very reluctant to pre-order, that open beta for Capcom is going to be important to get right)

I wish Zato had an ABC into knockdown.

5P
5S (mid range)
5H - oh wait, combo dropped.

Hmm let's try.....

5P!
5S!
22H - oh wait, combo dropped.

5P!
2D! - yeah, Zato's best universal meterless solo combo!

Anyway, I just want ASW to understand that unique strings do not make a character more interesting or unique to play.

2P 2S 5H(3) 22H combos. No meter, no Eddie needed. You can puddle summon Eddie, move him behind them and Nobiru them from behind as they wake up.

2P 2S 5H(3) 22H combos. No meter, no Eddie needed. You can puddle summon Eddie, move him behind them and Nobiru them from behind as they wake up.
Only at point blank range. If you are even slightly away from the opponent, the 5H tentacles don't link. Hence, not a reliable combo. Ditto for 5P, 5S, 5H, 22H.

Shiro wants in on Capcom Cup. He's going to Malaysia, Vietnam, Taiwan, and Philippines.

He blew a big opportunity by not going to Abuget Cup. I think he would have won that if he had gone. He could be chilling right now if he already had that under his belt along with his placements in other tournaments to this point. But from now maybe every Asian ranking event will be stacked.

Does Shiro still play Abel?

If so, good fuckin' luck making it with that character, lmao.

Ehh on his best day he can win a tournament or get very close. At 9 States, he got 3rd. During the Cannes qualifier he got 3rd finishing above Momochi, Pugera, Bonchan, etc...

He's going to attend those 4 Asian ranking events, evo, seam, and the 2 Japanese prem. events with like 35 points next to his name already.

Texas Showdown will be interesting. Infiltration and Justin have already won a ranking event and they could gatekeep Americans from winning a good amount of points. They have to face one another directly after pools though.

CurlyW

Texas Showdown will be interesting. Infiltration and Justin have already won a ranking event and they could gatekeep Americans from winning a good amount of points. They have to face one another directly after pools though.

I don't think they will face each other directly after pools. I'm guessing the final bracket will be something like Pool 1 vs. Pool 16, Pool 8 vs. Pool 9, etc.

I don't think they will face each other directly after pools. I'm guessing the final bracket will be something like Pool 1 vs. Pool 16, Pool 8 vs. Pool 9, etc.

Someone with your standards shouldn't think events will be run properly. It'll only end up in disappointment :p

Kimosabae

Banned
Zato is such an exception to the rule. That's the problem with starting out with the most obtuse character in the game, I think.

Totally disagree that unique strings don't make a character unique or interesting to play. Obviously, not in-and-of-itself, but it most certainly contributes. If characters could just gatling all the way to Dust in all conditions in Guilty Gear, offense in general would be way too strong. Guilty isn't a team game, where the player is forced to learn 3 different characters. It's a 1v1 game. That's extremely important to keep in mind. Had it its own Magic Series with Dust as a launcher, it would be way less interesting of a game.

I will agree that getting basic footing in the game can be a bit too challenging for some, though (it was for me). The amount of variables that have to be taken into consideration when doing a block string or basic BnB in any condition are plentiful (character size, fall speed, your momentum vs your opponents, distance from opponent etc.). But it's what I signed up for when I decided I wanted to get good at Guilty Gear. My overriding hope is that a lot of the challenges this game provides will be transferable in the future.

Anne

I think animations and hitboxes actually making sense to normal human beings and having slightly more basic ways to combo would go a huge way in helping new players in GG lol

zlatko

Banned
FGW| It's Too Late to Apolooooogize. It's Too Late!

FGW| How to Burn A Bridge: The Perfect Legend Story

FGW| Markman vs Perfect Legend on Twitter is 10-0. FREE!

FGW| Fallen Legends of Twitch Assemble

FGW| I'm Sorry...Oh Look Max is Streaming

Those are my contributions for this week.

GG is one of those games everyone reveres as super high-levels of complexity but there's just a ton of mechanical fluff that's kind of just there for the sake of being there.

P4A cuts out the fat and is a nice, clean ASW game. The ST of anime games.

Kimosabae

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163179070]GG is one of those games everyone reveres as super high-levels of complexity but there's just a ton of mechanical fluff that's kind of just there for the sake of being there.

P4A cuts out the fat and is a nice, clean ASW game. The ST of anime games.[/QUOTE]

This couldn't be more wrong. That last sentence especially.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
+vulva
+essay
+AAK

blackule u in?
+blackule
+tik-tok
+oneida
+Lostconfused

toryuken prime for gaf takeover

i will (surprise!) mostly just be at the vf station but would like to also play casuals in uniel and mkx

Anne

There's not all that much mechanical fluff really, all the systems in place have functions that make the game work, and there aren't as many as people think. The unneeded complexity in the design comes from the fact a lot of characters are intended to interact in a game from like the year 2000.

Persona actually has a lot of the same systems, only thing that's missing is FD, but it has attributes and a persona system. They trimmed the fat in designing the characters to be simpler with cleaner inputs, and to feel like they're from a game made in modern times.

jbug617

Banned

I think they should sell more than that. Sony is going to advertise the game a lot because of the console exclusive and PC games can be had cheap at launch.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163179070]GG is one of those games everyone reveres as super high-levels of complexity but there's just a ton of mechanical fluff that's kind of just there for the sake of being there.

P4A cuts out the fat and is a nice, clean ASW game. The ST of anime games.[/QUOTE]
Complexity and mechanical fluff are basically synonymous. Depth is desirable, not complexity. Complexity is only acceptable insofar as it increases depth.

Tizoc

Man the RB games had such colorful sprites
7EfDIh3.gif

Heck of a lot better than KoF's post '95 =_=

Top Bottom