• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This isn't about how good or bad of a game Persona is. This is just being intimidated and scared of the unknown. The only way to deal with that is just to find a starting point and play the game until things start making sense and become familiar. It's the discovery process, except its hampered by the whole thing being a competitive game with other human beings actively discouraging you.

I didn't say anything about Persona being a good or bad game :p

Essay

Still pretty true but he has become a bit easier to play in Xrd due to YRC on the ball set ups and not having to FRC the charge moves

From what I've been told, he might actually be getting harder to play as a pressure character in Xrd. The third hit of his c.S now wiffs on crouchers, which means that his best meterless lockdown strings will be hurt unless you get down the near-frame-perfect charge timing.

At most, I just see the screen aspect-ratio change and YRC's helping him play the neutral game a little easier.

I wonder how the tutorial system is going to be in GGXrd. I hope it's good.

Well the tutorial is in the Demo, it's exactly like the other Arcsys tutorials from what I understand. By that I mean I played the P4AU tutorial and took a brief glance at the BB one years ago and what little I could get out of the tutorial in the Xrd demo with my lack of serious japanese.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Don't listen to Q about Persona, he just a hater.

Persona's fun as it's own thing, it has it's problems but I think it's fun to not take seriously and just enjoy for what it is. I just get tired of hearing people suggest the game for learning how to play BB or GG or people telling people that it's easy to play and get the hang of right away.

Anne

Persona's fun as it's own thing, it has it's problems but I think it's fun to not take seriously and just enjoy for what it is. I just get tired of hearing people suggest the game for learning how to play BB or GG or people telling people that it's easy to play and get the hang of right away.

Persona is a good stepping stone game since it has a much more straightforward neutral game (no FD system is a huge thing) and no directional inputs. It won't teach you everything because of this, but if you played it after like a SF or KoF then went into BB or GG, it'd be way easier since you have the general idea of pace and interactions.

Rhapsody

Banned

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm ready for some slayer fun times. I've learned a basic game plan with him, so I'm good to go once the game comes out.
I'm a little disappointed how he transitioned to be honest. He's easier to use though now from the looks of it, so that'll be nice for people wanting to pick him up. He's not as hard hitting as before though.
Slayer has some funny YRC gimmicks
Nothing too great that the cast can't really do :/

DunpealD

I want to play Xrd but here's the mental block I'm having:

I feel okay playing SFIV (well, pre-Ultra, I've not really wanted to play Ultra at all) with short (no link) strings and just looking for openings to get damage. I'm awful (screw you and your Dan, dunpeal! :p) but I enjoyed playing off and on for a long stretch.

ArcSys games freak me out. I feel like the higher level system stuff, YRC and the like, is basically required. Playing Persona just felt like an uphill battle against long combos, cancels, bursts and the like.

What's the Low IQ guide to Xrd? :(

Links are the bane of many... like Donovan.

As with any fighting game you should probably try to play people who're at your level to ease yourself in and try out the current GG to get a feel for it. The feel of needing the higher level stuff might be because of the small and dedicated community.

Since the first step is to find a fun character and if you're set on getting Xrd anyway you might as well just try to have fun. Settle in and if you like it, advance into the higher level stuff in due time.

jbug617

Banned
2 Old 2 Furious always have great posters

B0vC2sGIYAAt51Y.jpg

Rhapsody

Banned
Are you guys going to pick up Xrd on PS3 or PS4? How's the PS3 version? For those who've played it

I'll be picking it up on PS3. A lot of us don't know how the PS3. The only place where the public got to play that version was at TGS. Elvenshadow, the GG Faust player, said it ran really well and wouldn't have easily known it was a PS3 station if someone didn't tell him iirc.

For those sweating the PS3 version of GG, a public service announcement:

Don't. It's fine.

It doesn't look as eye-caressingly gorgeous as the PS4 version, and the between stages load times are slightly (read: barely noticeable) longer.

And yes, you can see Elphet's cleavage in the game...
Fucking *SIGH*

/astroturf

Anne

Don't. It's fine.

It doesn't look as eye-caressingly gorgeous as the PS4 version, and the between stages load times are slightly (read: barely noticeable) longer.

Fucking *SIGH*

/astroturf

hey you da best

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Don't. It's fine.

Fucking *SIGH*

/astroturf

haha people flip out at anything changing from the original. Hell there were Japanese gamers who were mad when Fat Man in Fall Out got it's name changed in their version

haha people flip out at anything changing from the original. Hell there were Japanese gamers who were mad when Fat Man in Fall Out got it's name changed in their version

Problem is: we didn't really change anything. The cover-up was an ESRB thing we pretty much have to do for damn near every cover we have.

And I don't remember people losing their shit this bad over any of the BB/Agarest Wars/etc changes.

Sorry, the sheer amount of despondent fanfic is starting to wear a little...

EDIT: I think I'll do a FAQ flood on our Twitter/Facebook for GG. It seems a lot of we've already said is getting forgotten in the hysterical raving over #CleavageGate

And for the OT: Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| Tits and Crossplay, what more do you need?!

I'll probably end up double dipping, but I am probably going to get the ps4 version since it's an excuse to get a ps4 stick. So if the hori stick comes back in stock before the release, I'll get the ps4 version

Infinite

Problem is: we didn't really change anything. The cover-up was an ESRB thing we pretty much have to do for damn near every cover we have.

And I don't remember people losing their shit this bad over any of the BB/Agarest Wars/etc changes.

EDIT: I think I'll do a FAQ flood on our Twitter/Facebook for GG. It seems a lot of we've already said is getting forgotten in the hysterical raving over #CleavageGate

And for the OT: Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| Tits and Crossplay, what more do you need?!

no need to explain. it's a dumb fucking thing to get upset over and probably people are loud about it now due to the gamergate bullshit.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I don't think it's so much that it's forgotten it's more like people don't like doing research and want the answers in their face on a silver platter.

vocab

I'm glad the ps3 version is fine. There was no way I'm buying the ps4 version when I'm upgrading my comp in december.

Kumubou

I think GGXrd has way more attention than those other releases -- and I do remember seeing complaints about the changes to the BBCP cover (to be fair, Makoto really could use a shirt or something, geez). That and when people see any kind of change like that people start wondering what other random changes are happening, because who would ever be upfront about that?!? All you can really do is be upfront about it and hope the truth catches up with all the random BS at some point.
It won't.

Now just poke ArcSys enough to get them to implement the USB driver that Lab Zero is offering (for free!) in the PS4 version of Xrd. :p

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Bison, standing roundhouse all day.

Guile, sonic booms and crouching fierce all day.

Honda, sumo splash and headbutts all day.

Balrog, rush punch and jab spam all day.

Chun, standing strong and neutral jumping roundhouse all day.

Mes, getting hit by any and everything all day.

rip

i didnt play you this week, who this be?

petghost

Banned
I'm a little disappointed how he transitioned to be honest. He's easier to use though now from the looks of it, so that'll be nice for people wanting to pick him up. He's not as hard hitting as before though.

Nothing too great that the cast can't really do :/

Slayer is straight boring now imo.

haha, ESRB strikes again? Do they have a requirement that your female characters can only show three finger lengths of titty or something

Pretty much. Packaging and Game Rating are two separate things. As packaging is more visible, they tend to be a bit stricter. Not really an issue, but some people are reacting to a meaningless change like we're withholding the cure for cancer.

No more ranting on the issue, I promise.

Silky

Banned

Don't. It's fine.

Fucking *SIGH*

/astroturf

niiice

Now just give me A.B.A and I'm set.

People did make a stink about the BlazBlue cover censorship.
Here's a thread outcrying the BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma 2 cover.
Didn't find threads for the others when searching "censored", but I'd seen complaints in various threads and whatnot.

That wasn't anywhere on the level as the GG stuff. And I really have a problem understanding why it's such a big fucking deal, to be perfectly honest. People should know by now that what flies in Japan doesn't always fly in North America. And the changes are so minor as to be laughable. We covered up LITERALLY a couple of millimeters of skin; not exactly burning books in the grand scheme of things.

In the end, we did what we were required to do. If people are still bent out of shape about it, there's nothing more I can do about it.

Astarte

That wasn't anywhere on the level as the GG stuff. And I really have a problem understanding why it's such a big fucking deal, to be perfectly honest. People should know by now that what flies in Japan doesn't always fly in North America. And the changes are so minor as to be laughable. We covered up LITERALLY a couple of millimeters of skin; not exactly burning books in the grand scheme of things.

In the end, we did what we were required to do. If people are still bent out of shape about it, there's nothing more I can do about it.

People are petty about light skin censorship. I remember the 'outcry' over Fortune Summoners covering up little girls during a bathing scene and how dumb it was, good lord.

Top Bottom