• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

Riposte

Yessss! They are doing the Snake thing with Palutena!

EDIT: Smash is really feature rich, unsurprisingly. Why can't they make online matchmaking as good as the offline stuff? I don't get it.

spfqsslfnp3x.jpg

Couldn't find a better quality pic. :x
That VF anime thing is great. Dreamcast is best girl

Sega Saturn girl personally.

Nyoro SF

Calm down on Xrd guys, you don't even know if you'll like it yet. It has the same bullshit any anime game has, make no mistake, I look forward to people complaining about Potemkin YRC tackles in a few months.

I'm enjoying Ultimax a lot but I feel like the online hordes have finally stabilized on four characters. Minazuki, Adachi, Margaret and Narukami. In my last quick online session (I'm a yellow card, grade B+):

3 Minazukis
2 Adachis
2 Margarets
2 Narukamis
1 Yukari
1 Elizabeth

Calm down on Xrd guys, you don't even know if you'll like it yet. It has the same bullshit any anime game has, make no mistake, I look forward to people complaining about Potemkin YRC tackles in a few months.

I'm enjoying Ultimax a lot but I feel like the online hordes have finally stabilized on four characters. Minazuki, Adachi, Margaret and Narukami. In my last quick online session (I'm a yellow card, grade B+):

3 Minazukis
2 Adachis
2 Margarets
2 Narukamis
1 Yukari
1 Elizabeth

I already played it and it's the real deal.

Anne

I'm fairly certain 99% of the posters here don't know that YRC eats inputs during the freeze

Pretty sure a lot of FGW doesn't know a lot of the basic airdasher stuff, let alone this stuff :<

I'll be here to explain stuff when Xrd comes out at least. I expect a lot of people going "I was blocking, how did I get hit" after running, or getting bodied by one frame untech throws.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Pretty sure a lot of FGW doesn't know a lot of the basic airdasher stuff, let alone this stuff :<

I'll be here to explain stuff when Xrd comes out at least. I expect a lot of people going "I was blocking, how did I get hit" after running, or getting bodied by one frame untech throws.

I'll forever miss Ky's magnet hands air throw range.

RIP you died with AC

There's a really good Street Fighter to KOF transition tutorial by (I think) Dandy J, I'm sure you guys remember.

Anything like that would probably be extremely helpful, although the similarities between SF and GG are relatively few. Maybe a Marvel to GG transition tutorial would be a good starter piece.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
There's a really good Street Fighter to KOF transition tutorial by (I think) Dandy J, I'm sure you guys remember.

Anything like that would probably be extremely helpful, although the similarities between SF and GG are relatively few. Maybe a Marvel to GG transition tutorial would be a good starter piece.

Oddly enough I'd say a KOF to GG would be better.

But who plays KOF right!?
:(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'll miss AC Ky overall, Xrd Ky felt weird. My current problem with Xrd is that I like what I played at EVO but I just wasn't feeling the characters I was interested in :/

Watch some more recent Ain play if you haven't :D It's not as free form as AC Ky but he's figured out how to make Ky flow really well. I'll dig up some stuff if you want.

And I'll still agree that AC Ky is probably his best version in terms of fun factor. Though having to learn how to air throw again properly in AC sucked.

That'd be nice Q, yeah. I think my biggest problem with Xrd Ky was his speed and that I really liked his old j.D and that's not something he has anymore.

Beckx

I want to play Xrd but here's the mental block I'm having:

I feel okay playing SFIV (well, pre-Ultra, I've not really wanted to play Ultra at all) with short (no link) strings and just looking for openings to get damage. I'm awful (screw you and your Dan, dunpeal! :p) but I enjoyed playing off and on for a long stretch.

ArcSys games freak me out. I feel like the higher level system stuff, YRC and the like, is basically required. Playing Persona just felt like an uphill battle against long combos, cancels, bursts and the like.

What's the Low IQ guide to Xrd? :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

That'd be nice Q, yeah. I think my biggest problem with Xrd Ky was his speed and that I really liked his old j.D and that's not something he has anymore.

40 mins of Ain

He still has his old j.D it just has extra properties now, you can see it in effect in this video.

I want to play Xrd but here's the mental block I'm having:

I feel okay playing SFIV (well, pre-Ultra, I've not really wanted to play Ultra at all) with short (no link) strings and just looking for openings to get damage. I'm awful (screw you and your Dan, dunpeal! :p) but I enjoyed playing off and on for a long stretch.

ArcSys games freak me out. I feel like the higher level system stuff, YRC and the like, is basically required. Playing Persona just felt like an uphill battle against long combos, cancels, bursts and the like.

What's the Low IQ guide to Xrd? :(

I've said this here countless times and I'll say it again. The Persona games are FUCKING GARBAGE for learning how to play any other ASW game. GG is the easiest game to learn with and XRD wont be any different, though with YRC being so easy to do it kind of throws a weird wrench in the step by step process of learning the game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Huh, could've sworn the j.D didn't have a hitbox when I tried it and was only for powering up proyectiles. Must've missed it during my play.

Yeah it hits until it turns into the little circle.

Huh. Must be forgetting to count Venom as a charge character.
Still pretty true but he has become a bit easier to play in Xrd due to YRC on the ball set ups and not having to FRC the charge moves

cHaotix8

https://twitter.com/VersusGameplay/status/525344054783905792

I think I'd like to see him vs Smug in a FT10 (tweeted to that effect too).

Opinions?

We've played sets online and I've come out on top out of most of them, but those were a while ago. The only time we've played in person was at EVO and he came out on top by like 2 games. Dude was also pausing in the middle of my combos though, lol.

I would like to play him at the same event sometime. If he doesn't come to absolute battle though it'll probably be at NEC, since I'll be there next.

Nothing but love to Chaotix but Smug would body him.

Come on man, I thought you'd have more faith in me than that!

Anne

Wouldn't know where to start with that honestly. Would be more fitting to do SF4 than Marvel though. Marvel gets called anime a lot but fundamentally that game is so wild I wouldn't know what to do.

shtkn

vulva

We've played sets online and I've come out on top out of most of them, but those were a while ago. The only time we've played in person was at EVO and he came out on top by like 2 games. Dude was also pausing in the middle of my combos though, lol.

I would like to play him at the same event sometime. If he doesn't come to absolute battle though it'll probably be at NEC, since I'll be there next.

Come on man, I thought you'd have more faith in me than that!

I still want to play your Dudley. I'm so unfamiliar with that match so the worst ones blow me up.

cHaotix8

I still want to play your Dudley. I'm so unfamiliar with that match so the worst ones blow me up.

Yeah, Dudley is pretty scrubby if you don't know what happening, lol. Especially online where you're more likely to get hit by full screen mgb's or mess up a punish and eat an ultra.

I wanted to play you at Evo but never got the chance. :/ You play on Xbox right? Add me: Its cHaotix

vocab

I'm ready for some slayer fun times. I've learned a basic game plan with him, so I'm good to go once the game comes out.

I've said this here countless times and I'll say it again. The Persona games are FUCKING GARBAGE for learning how to play any other ASW game. GG is the easiest game to learn with and XRD wont be any different, though with YRC being so easy to do it kind of throws a weird wrench in the step by step process of learning the game.

This isn't about how good or bad of a game Persona is. This is just being intimidated and scared of the unknown. The only way to deal with that is just to find a starting point and play the game until things start making sense and become familiar. It's the discovery process, except its hampered by the whole thing being a competitive game with other human beings actively discouraging you.

vulva

Yeah, Dudley is pretty scrubby if you don't know what happening, lol. Especially online where you're more likely to get hit by full screen mgb's or mess up a punish and eat an ultra.

I wanted to play you at Evo but never got the chance. :/ You play on Xbox right? Add me: Its cHaotix

I'm only really on PC these days to be honest. I can do PS3 but I haven't paid for XBL... possibly ever haha.

Also Dudley's U1 anti-fireball has made the match even more annoying since I'm terrified of letting him get in and now I can't just be a dick full screen. T_T

cHaotix8

Capcom won't be the same without Daigo so he better make it in.

I feel the same way. :(

I don't know when I turned into a Daigo fanboy, but not seeing him place consistently is really disappointing. He is one of the few players that consistently make high level reads and punishes, and it sucks to see him losing out to players who are in my opinion, are worse than him. Not sure if it's because he's forcing himself to play Evil Ryu or just age catching up to him, but I want to see The Beast rise again.

I'm only really on PC these days to be honest. I can do PS3 but I haven't paid for XBL... possibly ever haha.

Also Dudley's U1 anti-fireball has made the match even more annoying since I'm terrified of letting him get in and now I can't just be a dick full screen. T_T

Add me on steam then!

Yeah, that's one of the good things Dudley has going for him in that matchup now, haha. Chun kinda just has to stop throwing them when he gets ultra meter.

mbpm1

I thought Daigo was really coming back on fire in the latter stages of AE2012 too. A shame he's still in the adjustment period with ERyu it seems.

Top Bottom