• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You and your love of psychic Pokemon.
Hahaha, it's not about that.

In the trailer they showed off attacks that could jump over other attacks and that hit boxes were pretty strict.

I'm guessing this is going to lead into a mid, high, low or sidestep/block game when it comes to going to counter hits and avoiding attacks with your own.

Like Machamp has a low punch, why else would he have this if it wasn't to say counter a mid or another low maybe. Meanwhile Machamp and Lucario both showed attacks that leap into the air and strike downwards and they showed Lucario's jumping over Machamps low and hitting him.

I could imagine

Lows beat mids, Highs beat lows, side stepping beats slow or poor tracking moves maybe mids, blocking is your safe option.

Imm0rt4l

Q0peFm2.jpg

The man gave up a 6 figure job and Nintendo cuz he's all about the grassroots, fgc, and letting his people starve. Only a sucker does a 9 to 5. Real nigga shit.

In the trailer they showed off attacks that could jump over other attacks and that hit boxes were pretty strict.

Like Machamp has a low punch, why else would he have this if it wasn't to say counter a mid or another low maybe.

some moves in pokemon have names that could lend themselves to that. i don't remember a "low punch" but "low kick" is definitely a move. and moves in pokemon do miss sometimes, most don't have 100% hitting rates. so maybe how the engine works is that you do a move and the opponent has to know how to get around it, or even automatically gets around it if the game decides that the attack misses. maybe they just animate "low kick" to look like it hits the lower part of the opponent, but really where it hits on screen doesn't matter, all that matters is whether the opponent or the game can make it miss.

in this instance, maybe machamp did a move that's just animated to look low, and either his opponent expected that and hopped over, or the game just decided that it would miss and animated the opponent to hop over? seems like a very pokemon-style way to do it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
some moves in pokemon have names that could lend themselves to that. i don't remember a "low punch" but "low kick" is definitely a move. and moves in pokemon do miss sometimes, most don't have 100% hitting rates.

so maybe how the engine works is that you do a move and the opponent has to know how to get around it, or even automatically gets around it if the game decides that the attack misses.

in this instance, maybe machamp did a move that's just animated to look low, and either his opponent expected that and hopped over, or the game just decided that it would miss and animated the opponent to hop over? seems like a very pokemon-style way to do it.
Well the thing is, the move they showcased it with they showed Lucario doing it as a stand alone as well.

I really hope they don't go for random misses and stuff that would make the game into the most button mashy fighter of all time :p Or shit maybe the most boring as people would be scared to attack

The fact they showed Machamp doing what I assume was Cross Chop as a leaping attack makes me want to believe my theory pretty strongly.

Edit: at least I think that first one was cross chop, second jumping move was Pound

Edit2:
eBJ9H51.jpg

This is the part I was refrencing where Lucario jumps over Machamps attack with his own. Unless hitboxes are REALLY fucked up in this game I don't see how he would ever get hit. On top of showing the move off outside of this situation in the video it makes me doubt that there is an auto miss/dodge system in the game that's based outside of these attacks beat these types of attacks and so on.

Edit 3: I think I watched that trailer about 60 times now >.>

Sayah

It really stings because it's the Tekken team. Pretty much zero hope for anything out of Namco releasing in a reasonable time. We'll probably get all of their core fighting games around the time we get SFV.

I'm thinking 2016 console release date for Pokken and 2015 for Tekken 7. It's Tekken's 20th Anniversary. I have a really hard time believing he's going to delay Tekken 7 release until 2016.

But yes, he's taking on too many projects and I'd rather him just finish one and then move on to the next.
Damn looks like I need to correct my face about Nomura then.

No you don't.

All/majority of his titles were handheld games. It'd be like going through an entire generation of Tekken 5 DR PSP/Tekken 3DS games without any actual console Tekken games. That would be bullshit. And the rapid transfer of many good RPGs (Valkyria Chronicles, Kingdom Hearts, etc) to handhelds with zero focus on making full-fledged console titles is annoying beyond belief for me.

Infinite

The man gave up a 6 figure job and Nintendo cuz he's all about the grassroots, fgc, and letting his people starve. Only a sucker does a 9 to 5. Real nigga shit.

Pretty sure his job for nintendo was working at Nintendo World and I'm also sure he was fired.

some moves in pokemon have names that could lend themselves to that. i don't remember a "low punch" but "low kick" is definitely a move. and moves in pokemon do miss sometimes, most don't have 100% hitting rates. so maybe how the engine works is that you do a move and the opponent has to know how to get around it, or even automatically gets around it if the game decides that the attack misses. maybe they just animate "low kick" to look like it hits the lower part of the opponent, but really where it hits on screen doesn't matter, all that matters is whether the opponent or the game can make it miss.

putting a miss mechanic into anything is a sure fire way to turn the game into a massive fire of controversy.

just look at the miss mechanic in elder scrolls: morrowind. that at least has stats as the explanation.

although a fighting game based on stats or with concepts like missing point blank attacks. hmm... could be interesting.

Okay, I just noticed I have no idea what DFC means.

My years on 4chan makes me want to say delicious flat chest, and that's terrible.

(´・ω・)つ

i won't finish that ascii but i bet you know what it is

Sayah

Capcom can't afford a "bet" atm, they need a blockbuster!

So I don't think it will be a new IP or even Darkstalkers. It'll probably be SFV, if not, a new VS
PLEASE BE A NEW VS

I'd rather have a new VS game over SFV, to be honest.

I really need that 3v3 engine utilized more. And hopefully, it'll be Capcom All-Stars or something so they can patch it without dealing with licensing agreements and what not.

Or if doing a crossover, do it with a company that's more lenient.

I prefer crossovers in this order:

Nintendo vs. Capcom
Namco vs. Capcom
Square Enix vs. Capcom
Sega vs. Capcom

Konami and Tecmo don't have enough interesting variety for me to want a crossover with them.

Dahbomb

No you don't.

All/majority of his titles were handheld games. It'd be like going through an entire generation of Tekken 5 DR PSP/Tekken 3DS games without any actual console Tekken games. That would be bullshit. And the rapid transfer of many good RPGs (Valkyria Chronicles, Kingdom Hearts, etc) to handhelds with zero focus on making full-fledged console titles is annoying beyond belief for me.
Yeah I was about to say that most of those titles didn't strike me has high end RPGs you would expect from someone like. Still that's not his problem, that' SE's problem... he has at least been busy doing something which was the original point of discussion. Unlike team ICO which hasn't even put out handheld games (not to my knowledge at least, my knowledge of handheld games is very low).

FSLink

Banned
While we're on the subject of new fighting games...I really want a Tales of fighting game (no, the crappy Tales of VS PSP game doesn't count).
The main character of Tales of Xillia 2 is basically Dante in terms of moveset: he has twin blades mode, sledgehammer mode, guns mode, and a transformation and can switch mid combo. Having lots of fun playing this and juggling enemies (and having to abuse the weakness system to keep them in hitstun) while waiting for Smash 3DS to come out.

Beats

While we're on the subject of new fighting games...I really want a Tales of fighting game (no, the crappy Tales of VS PSP game doesn't count).
The main character of Tales of Xillia 2 is basically Dante in terms of moveset: he has twin blades mode, sledgehammer mode, guns mode, and a transformation and can switch mid combo. Having lots of fun playing this and juggling enemies (and having to abuse the weakness system to keep them in hitstun) while waiting for Smash 3DS to come out.

Have you tried that Tales of ACS fan game?

Is that Chris Remo?
Yep!

Why does he look like a little person in that picture?
It's the camera angle and his slumping, they add a lot to the pathos of this piece.

Well the thing is, the move they showcased it with they showed Lucario doing it as a stand alone as well.

I really hope they don't go for random misses and stuff that would make the game into the most button mashy fighter of all time :p Or shit maybe the most boring as people would be scared to attack

[...]

This is the part I was refrencing where Lucario jumps over Machamps attack with his own. Unless hitboxes are REALLY fucked up in this game I don't see how he would ever get hit. On top of showing the move off outside of this situation in the video it makes me doubt that there is an auto miss/dodge system in the game that's based outside of these attacks beat these types of attacks and so on.

Edit 3: I think I watched that trailer about 60 times now >.>

Oh, I get what you're saying now. I guess that would be different from what we're used to. I guess it makes a "Dodge!" function less likely, too, which sounds great.

This post made me watch that trailer for the first time; I'm sure something like that justifies your repeated viewings of it, somehow.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Triforce is that friend that's always telling you about how he met this new rich friend who he thinks is going to hire him and make him set for life.

FSLink

Banned
Have you tried that Tales of ACS fan game?

I have, it's okay. There's also a 3D version. "Cross Calibur" is another decent fangame, uses CC for the combo system like some of the Tales games do. It's interesting but it seems kind of limited. I'd love to see the CC system used in a fighting game and expanded upon.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Tales of ACS has CC used on some of the characters...forgot about that. That's probably a better way of doing it as opposed to making it a system wide mechanic.

El Sloth

Banned
I think you would need some sort of force feedback mechanism before this would really take off. Then again, there are already VR demos in Japan where 2D girls slap you around and step on you, so who knows.

lol of course this exists.

Of course.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm with you. It at least has the potential to be something crazy different.
While I agree, I think it's hard for me to get pumped for something so far out for home consoles that also looked pretty rough in the footage they thought was good enough to present. I don't see textures getting much better, or being changed..

Think I'm more excited for MKX to see what NRS is doing in terms of modes and how they evolve on the online stuff from Injustice.

Sayah

Honestly I'm more excited for Pokken than anything announced or potentially coming out.

Tekken 7 and Smash for me come first.

But Pokken is definitely up there as well. It's gonna be a brand new gameplay formula so I'm excited to see how it'll turn out. And seeing as the Pokemon name is attached to this, I doubt they want to half-ass this game. All that's needed is SoulCalibur VI now, which I hope is the other final secret project Harada is hinting at.

Not excited for Pokken at all.

Tekken 7 and MKX (I am sure I will be let down again though) for me. And whatever Dimps is working on.

I wish Capcom would work with Eighting again on sam fighten though.

One of my top three fighting game wishes.

*PC ports of ASW fighting games

*Skullgirls 2

*New Age Capcpom vs Oldschool pre 2000 Capcom from Eighting

I'm sure someone would have quoted or PM'd me so there.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
i'm never gonna get featured ;-;

You and me buddy. I thought posting maniacal rants would get me a spot but I was wrong.

I AM SO DEAD RIGHT NOW!

i8PqPEDpkM7aI.gif

god damn it

uhm... whats the name of the game? for science reasons of course.

Given the title, yes. The entire premise of the game seems to be you tutoring a school girl in the summer.

Sure, teaching.

Confirmation that Capcom is working with Dimps on a new fighting game
https://twitter.com/yoshi_onochin/status/506501145045381120

tumblr_inline_moc7sjmG3O1qz4rgp.gif

i bought a wiiu for smash. i hope im not dissapointed.

my idea is to ghetto rig a small briefcase with fans and and outlet so i can practice captain falcon while at work.

i'm a teacher so what i'll do is give the lecture, assign long ass end of chapter questions (discussion questions included) and play on the gamepad cleverly hidden by books on desk.

the kids won't know what i have nn my hands since they don't even know what a WIIU is.

protip: i won't do this, that would be unethical and would hinder my students' learning experience.

i lied.

Me and you buddy.

Kumubou

Weirdly, I'm not truly excited for any FGs coming soon. SSB4 could be cool as all hell but I have no faith that the game will actually be good given pre-release impressions. Xrd should be amazing but I just don't like how ArcSys handles their business or their games, and the game has some glaring problems (but what doesn't). I have no faith in Tecmo actually addressing the problems in DoA5 since they make too much money pushing costumes, and the Tekken games are so far out there they may as well not exist.

I suspect I'm just burnt out at this point, since I couldn't even get into UNIEL (and that was a game I was legitimately looking forward to for a while). It's a good game... I just don't care anymore. Although, in retrospect, that's obvious: the last tournament I competed in was Sega Cup back in 2013. Hell, I'm considering not going to NEC this year, and that would be the first time in about a decade that I haven't gone.

.la1n

While I agree, I think it's hard for me to get pumped for something so far out for home consoles that also looked pretty rough in the footage they thought was good enough to present. I don't see textures getting much better, or being changed..

Think I'm more excited for MKX to see what NRS is doing in terms of modes and how they evolve on the online stuff from Injustice.

I keep forgetting MKX. NRS seems to be learning with each game they release lately. Excited about that one as well.

Sayah

Weirdly, I'm not truly excited for any FGs coming soon. SSB4 could be cool as all hell but I have no faith that the game will actually be good given pre-release impressions. Xrd should be amazing but I just don't like how ArcSys handles their business or their games, and the game has some glaring problems (but what doesn't). I have no faith in Tecmo actually addressing the problems in DoA5 since they make too much money pushing costumes, and the Tekken games are so far out there they may as well not exist.

I suspect I'm just burnt out at this point, since I couldn't even get into UNIEL (and that was a game I was legitimately looking forward to for a while). It's a good game... I just don't care anymore. Although, in retrospect, that's obvious: the last tournament I competed in was Sega Cup back in 2013. Hell, I'm considering not going to NEC this year, and that would be the first time in about a decade that I haven't gone.

TTT2 was pretty quick to release on consoles. You never know.

I'm just happy Namco's got the ball rolling for next gen fighters. Smash 4, Tekken 7, and Pokken. Also, Gundam PS4 and Rise of Incarnates if you consider those fighters.

Not excited for Pokken at all.

Tekken 7 and MKX (I am sure I will be let down again though) for me. And whatever Dimps is working on.

Why no excitement for Pokken?

Outside of the rough textures, I think it has the potential to be a big hit. I must have watched the Pokken trailer like 20 times myself.

Mr. X

Yata is the only thing I'm looking forward to. MKX, Pokken and Smash 4 have my curiosity.

Not looking forward to the last SG DLC characters since it's very likely the end.

Waiting on SEGA to reveal VF6.

I actually hope TLG gets announced and released and inevitably fails to live up to people's expectations. The battles between disappointed fans and the defense force in denial will be epic.

In any case, once VR waifus become mainstream everyone will miss the days when the worst things a Japanese publisher could do to a brand was make a mobile F2P game or a musou.

Dahbomb

I don't even know what I would expect if TLG ends up being an actual game released in my life time.

If I manage to play 5 seconds of it then I would probably shed a manly tear.

I don't really like Pokemon. But if it appealed to me visually, it might get me to play it and give it a chance. But it's not tickling my fancy. But who knows, maybe it will play awesome. If it plays like Naruto, I will be out for sure though, heh. I hate how it looks stylistically at the moment.

Yata is the only thing I'm looking forward to. MKX, Pokken and Smash 4 have my curiosity.

Not looking forward to the last SG DLC characters since it's very likely the end.

Waiting on SEGA to reveal VF6.
You gotta believe, man. I don't think anyone at Lab Zero believed they could fund more than Squigly after the fanbase was supposedly tapped out by breast cancer research donations, but one day later they realized they were strapped in for a hell of ride.

There can be miracles when you believe
I actually hope TLG gets announced and released and inevitably fails to live up to people's expectations. The battles between disappointed fans and the defense force in denial will be epic.

In any case, once VR waifus become mainstream everyone will miss the days when the worst things a Japanese publisher could do to a brand was make a mobile F2P game or a musou.
I'll miss the days when we got new Berserk chapters.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TBH It's pretty much only Smash for me. Everything else is wait and see. Xrd is probably next in terms of a game I might want to purchase, but I'm a bit iffy on whether I'll like the gameplay or not, since I'm not generally a fan of ASW games. Will probably wait for some decent gameplay primers to be put out and then check it out on the cheap.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm kinda mixed. I'm mostly excited to get into the new games for Evo, but nothing was me jumping just yet.

Xrd will be fun, same with Smash. The former is just to kill time for a better version though. I enjoy Smash but I'm still iffy on how long I'll be playing it competitively.

Dahbomb

I don't wanna have to wait 15 years for the manga to finish.
15 years would be too good.

Miura said about a year ago that Berserk was about 60% complete. That means roughly there are 200 more chapters planned. The current rate of chapter release for Berserk is 5 chapters per year on a GOOD year. Assuming Miura goes crazy and starts releasing a chapters at twice that rate that would STILL take him almost 20 years to complete Berserk.

Kimosabae

Banned
Like Enzo, I'm probably most interested in Pokken ATM, if only because it looks to bring something very unique to the table... but the presentation looked stupid bad, and I have little faith in it looking much better upon release.

She can talk a good game but she's still gotta have a phat ass.

Xrd went from my most anticipated game in years to "whatever" just because it's taking forever to get here and the hype for it is quieting. That'll likely change when it releases.

As for Smash 4: I just want the game to hurry up and release so I can know for sure that I need to get rid of my WiiU.

Top Bottom