• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

You know we have gotten those recently right? Last one was released 2 weeks ago.
15 years would be too good.

Miura said about a year ago that Berserk was about 60% complete. That means roughly there are 200 more chapters planned. The current rate of chapter release for Berserk is 5 chapters per year on a GOOD year. Assuming Miura goes crazy and starts releasing a chapters at twice that rate that would STILL take him almost 20 years to complete Berserk.
It'll all go down the shitter once Idolmaster VR becomes a thing.
Well that sucks, I'll be dead before I can read the ending to Berserk.
If the recent loss of a certain gaffer taught me anything, it's that youth isn't enough to save you. When it's your time, it's your time. Good health, money and education helps, but there are no guarantees.

Terrifying

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Miura said about a year ago that Berserk was about 60% complete. That means roughly there are 200 more chapters planned. The current rate of chapter release for Berserk is 5 chapters per year on a GOOD year. Assuming Miura goes crazy and starts releasing a chapters at twice that rate that would STILL take him almost 20 years to complete Berserk.

I read the 60% part on a forum but god damn, I just finished Berserk and didn't know he did 5 a year! This guy is pulling a Hunter x Hunter and only does it when he wants to and I don't read Hunter x Hunter, should I do so Astarte/Turdle/Dahbomb?

So you'll be joining Miura?

Dahbomb

Well that sucks, I'll be dead before I can read the ending to Berserk.
Honestly speaking there's a good chance that everyone here would be dead before they read the ending to Berserk simply because Miura might pass away before he releases the ending as well. Dude is pushing 50 now.

Clawww

I'm pretty excited about Pokken, but I have a bad feeling that there's going to be something fundamentally horrible about the game's design. The idea of it being amazing and heading to EVO is titillating, though.

I'd be much more excited for Xrd if I could play it on PC, even though I'll be getting a PS4sooner or later anyways.

Smash 4 I'll definitely be getting, even if I'm not too optimistic about it holding up. At the very least it'll be a good excuse to jump in on a Wii U.

Astarte

Yep. He started back up recently and we're still not off the boat.

If the recent loss of a certain gaffer taught me anything, it's that youth isn't enough to save you. When it's your time, it's your time. Good health, money and education helps, but there are no guarantees.

Terrifying

Idolmaster VR will singlehandedly make me purchase a PS4 and a Morpheus, which in turn will help me forget that Berserk will never finish.
I try not to think about all of the ways people can die, it makes me a bit more happy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BTW, any feedback on the new Resources section? Anything to take out/replace/add to this? What do you guys think would be helpful to new players or even stuff y'all use frequently or have bookmarked? Any good arcade stick buying resources out there? Thinking of linking the arcade stick thread in there, wonder if that'd be enough.

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Shoryuken's Fighting Game Wiki is a great, multi-game reference for detailed information about mechanics and specific characters.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.

Clawww

I like that. I would suggest adding some quality videos, though. Not sure if I've actually seen something nice on YouTube that covers fighting games in general, though.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I enjoy a good waifu joke now and then, but I don't get the appeal (especially in VR).

I don't get the appeal for idols to be honest too but I'm assuming you have seen some of the stuff people have cooked up with VR right? Especially Japan... It doesn't have to be strictly idol related.

Yep. He started back up recently and we're still not off the boat.

Idolmaster VR will singlehandedly make me purchase a PS4 and a Morpheus, which in turn will help me forget that Berserk will never finish.
I try not to think about all of the ways people can die, it makes me a bit more happy.
I try to think about how Griffith will be murdered die. It makes me happy.
I don't get the appeal for idols to be honest too but I'm assuming you have seen some of the stuff people have cooked up with VR right? Especially Japan... It doesn't have to be strictly idol related.
Which is why I said "waifu" and not idol. I can have fun with the jokes, but I don't understand the obsessive love of any person (physical or fictional).

Rhapsody

Banned
The more I see Ky in Xrd, the more I wonder if I should just learn Ramlethal too.

Maybe a console character could change my mind.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The more I see Ky in Xrd, the more I wonder if I should just learn Ramlethal too.

Maybe a console character could change my mind.
If you like AC ky and came to love him. YOU WILL FUCKING HATE Xrd Ky. I don't mind him because I've mained Ky since x2 and he's sorta similar to reload Ky.

But I've said countless times I feel like AC Ky is one of the best designed fighting game characters of all time. So it feels like a huge step back.

casperOne

Enzo: Great work on the banner.

Harada: WTF?

Sakurai: Why is anyone surprised at his statements regarding the competitive community? He hasn't shown any desire to embrace them, and the community keeps chugging along regardless.

Sakurai: Why is anyone surprised at his statements regarding the competitive community? He hasn't shown any desire to embrace them, and the community keeps chugging along regardless.
When a series gets a game every 6 years, you do hope that it will improve on the previous one(s).

Rhapsody

Banned
You mean the console character
I'm holding out for more than just Sin :(
If you like AC ky and came to love him. YOU WILL FUCKING HATE Xrd Ky. I don't mind him because I've mained Ky since x2 and he's sorta similar to reload Ky.

But I've said countless times I feel like AC Ky is one of the best designed fighting game characters of all time. So it feels like a huge step back.

Yeah. If anything, I'll still use him a lot. I need to find someone on the side though just to keep things exciting. Venom or May are good candidates for me, but who knows.

smurfx

get some go again

hey do you have any stats on the win loss ratio for people who win the first match in a tourney? was wondering how important winning your first match is depending on the game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It was pretty amazing how AC Ky had tools for almost every single possible situation and set up in a fighting game BUT was not broken :p

Nyoro SF

I'm holding out for more than just Sin :(

Yeah. If anything, I'll still use him a lot. I need to find someone on the side though just to keep things exciting. Venom or May are good candidates for me, but who knows.

Odds are in our favor for a new console character besides Sin to be announced (at least that's what I believe)

Pompadour

When a series gets a game every 6 years, you do hope that it will improve on the previous one(s).

This idea is poison to a lot of Smash fans but the series could really benefit from updates like traditional fighting games routinely receive. Everyone's crazy obscure favorite character would eventually make it in, the balancing would likely not result in one character absolutely dominating the rest of the cast, and the game would hopefully be a little more tailored to hardcore that would keep buying each new upgrade while the more casual fans wouldn't.

None of this would ever happen, though.

This idea is poison to a lot of Smash fans but the series could really benefit from updates like traditional fighting games routinely receive. Everyone's crazy obscure favorite character would eventually make it in, the balancing would likely not result in one character absolutely dominating the rest of the cast, and the game would hopefully be a little more tailored to hardcore that would keep buying each new upgrade while the more casual fans wouldn't.

None of this would ever happen, though.
I think Smash fans are more open to this than you think. The Smash thread here routinely talks about DLC with excitement. The balancing aspect is more troublesome though, if only because Sakurai may not balance the game in favor of interesting or deep play.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah judging by how Nintendo has approached DLC so far, it wouldn't be that bad. They'd probably do 2 or more characters + related stages/music packs.

Sayah

BTW, any feedback on the new Resources section? Anything to take out/replace/add to this? What do you guys think would be helpful to new players or even stuff y'all use frequently or have bookmarked? Any good arcade stick buying resources out there? Thinking of linking the arcade stick thread in there, wonder if that'd be enough.

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Shoryuken's Fighting Game Wiki is a great, multi-game reference for detailed information about mechanics and specific characters.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.

This is exclusive to TTT2 and not a "general" thing but AAK's guide is very useful.

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2012/9/5/the-beginners-guide-to-ttt2-by-aak-unit-1-basics.html

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
[Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.

Rule #2: “Too much blocking is also cheap.” How much is too much? “Well, um, you see… it’s not a set amount, exactly- it’s, uh… Godammit- I know it when I see it!”

I once got called a block spammer. I was stunned at the combination of words.

If they are not full of it about it being the final story for ragna very very high.
I spent two hours looking for the ending where she shows up...

Rule #2: “Too much blocking is also cheap.” How much is too much? “Well, um, you see… it’s not a set amount, exactly- it’s, uh… Godammit- I know it when I see it!”

I once got called a block spammer. I was stunned at the combination of words.
I like this, but also "combo spammer". Just spam those combos all day long, is what I do!

It's a few scenes, the very very end and probably about 30 minutes before the final showdown. But the scene themselves are not that long as far as the ending goes.
I saw the one at the end of the Six Heroes story, where she is in her own pocket dimension or something, and some conversation where she meets Ragna. Where are the others? I would definitely watch them.

Character balance barely matters in a four player free-for-all match with items anyways so what logical reasons do casual Smash players have to bitch about normalization anyways.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I saw the one at the end of the Six Heroes story, where she is in her own pocket dimension or something, and some conversation where she meets Ragna. Where are the others? I would definitely watch them.

The six heroes one, is in the past before she was "killed"

I dont remember the exact moments the end of the sector seven one might have something.

I honestly don't remember specifics :( I burned through the last 9 hours of story in one sitting.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
some moves in pokemon have names that could lend themselves to that. i don't remember a "low punch" but "low kick" is definitely a move. and moves in pokemon do miss sometimes, most don't have 100% hitting rates. so maybe how the engine works is that you do a move and the opponent has to know how to get around it, or even automatically gets around it if the game decides that the attack misses. maybe they just animate "low kick" to look like it hits the lower part of the opponent, but really where it hits on screen doesn't matter, all that matters is whether the opponent or the game can make it miss.

in this instance, maybe machamp did a move that's just animated to look low, and either his opponent expected that and hopped over, or the game just decided that it would miss and animated the opponent to hop over? seems like a very pokemon-style way to do it.

I ran into James last night randomly. I offered to buy him a drink, but he said that he doesn't drink much and that you'd be more of the one to take me up on that offer. So here's to you, UD! *cheers*

He seemed surprised that so many random strangers recognize him nowadays.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Character balance barely matters in a four player free-for-all match with items anyways so what logical reasons do casual Smash players have to bitch about normalization anyways.
Well there's no logical reason to do it but that doesn't mean they won't anyways.

I remember playing with a group of people I regret being around where one person went on a tirade about "no metaknight" to another person who was horrifically awful at the game who dared to consider picking him.

It's funny to hear these people's opinions on character balance when their other opinions include "I don't play that tourney shit"

Also Zelda's the third best character in the game supposedly

casperOne

hey do you have any stats on the win loss ratio for people who win the first match in a tourney? was wondering how important winning your first match is depending on the game.

Not yet. It's second on the list of things to start collecting data for.

Right now, the first thing we have to do as a community is get out of the dark ages and move beyond simple W/L for all matches, actually recording scores.

Once we get there, then getting order (and deriving performance based on that) will be one of the next things that is worked on.

Needless to say, it's being worked on, but not something that you'll see immediately.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
She's already switched sides in the story mode shots they released a while back.

Her arcade mode appearances heavily hinted at it so it was only a matter of time.

That's why they need an actual villain character.
Sin needed a nonhuman wife. Gotta keep that Gear blood from getting too thin ;)

Edit: Random weird advice that is really good: If you want to play fighting games seriously and you are just starting out, beat all the punch out games first.

Rhapsody

Banned
She's already switched sides in the story mode shots they released a while back.

Her arcade mode appearances heavily hinted at it so it was only a matter of time.

That's why they need an actual villain character.

Wait, the pink haired girl is the same Ramlethal? Not a different Valentine? I didn't bother reading the scans.

Top Bottom