• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

TBH it sounds like it's you not SF4. Did you play 3rd Strike and Alpha at this level? Seems like you just don't like competitive play.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If you ever find yourself not having fun the higher you get skill wise, i don't think competitive play is for you.

casperOne

Are you blind? Game is gorgeous.

For the hardware it was running on, I liked it quite a bit. Granted MvC3 came along and made it pointless, but it was interesting to watch while people were actively playing it.

Is it me, or are the captures of CRT games drastically improved?

I don't understand what's with geeks/nerds and their love for Asian women. Look there are a lot of beautiful Asian women, but then there are also a lot of ugly ass Asian women, but just because she's Asian doesn't mean she's good looking.

Yea I'm looking at you WHITE PEOPLE!

Sometimes I feel cognitive dissonance because I consider myself a geek but I'm seldom attracted to Asian women. I mean, if she's bad, she's bad, but more often than not that's not the case.

I guess I'm not fully anime yet. (also I'm not white)

WTF is going on in this thread?

That they are. A certain website's fetish with them is annoying enough though. I mean day 2 tiers? Pfffffffffftttttttttttt

So the "eh" you quoted was being used as a double entendre? Clever. =P

Horseress

Markman just listed the USF4 exhibitions for TGS

Mike Ross vs Mago
Jayce The Ace vs Tokido
Justin Wong vs Daigo
Nemo vs Daigo

Mark Julio (マークマン) @MarkMan23 23m
MCZ TGS EXHIBITIONS POWERED BY TWITCH/SPOOKY<3

MCZ DAIGO VS EG JWONG
MCZ MAGO VS MIKE ROSS
MCZ TOKIDO VS JAYCE THE ACE
USF4 #1 BP VS #2 BP

Thank god

Dahbomb

I didn't think the beta was that bad... but I knew there were concerns about the game's content. I just wasn't expecting the beta to be over a quarter of the entire game! That and some really dumb decisions (like drops usually coming in lower than the rarity displayed) make me wonder what they were thinking.
More like it shows that Bungie doesn't actually know how to make a proper MMO.

Beckx

Okay this is interesting. Smash 3DS Conquest Mode appears to be a way for Nintendo to get information about character use and performance:

Conquest mode is an interesting feature. It seems as though it’s effectively a way for Nintendo to gather data on how characters hold up in matches over a period of time.

The way it works is, the game picks specific characters/teams for a period of time, and if you pick any of those characters in a “With Anyone” match online, you will automatically participate in the Conquest, and your wins as that character will be recorded as part of the Conquest rankings.

“We’ll be running Conquest in beta for a while,” Sakurai said on Miiverse. “Also, Conquest data where players seem to be losing on purpose will be removed from the calculations. And lastly, there’s no point in working on this mode too much on your own, so don’t overdo it…”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/16/super-smash-bros-conquest-mode-will-run-beta

Beckx

That's really interesting but what would nintendo do with such information?

Dunno, but I guess if you saw one character overwhelming everyone else (or the opposite) you could target that character for more in depth balancing review. But it's not clear what kinds of data they are getting - it has to be more than win-loss if they have a method to throw out some matches.

It's very obvious that they just stole a bunch of concepts from Blizzard without having a complete grasp on the core concept. To be fair though WoW changed drastically over the course of several years as Blizzard themselves were trying to figure out how to make their game good.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I just listed SOME stuff.

Wait til you see the schedule.

The tournament.

LOL. It's going to be nuts.

They really don't consider it a mmo though from what I've read so those expectations that it should be are misplaced. Then again its just like calling Smash an Opponent based Action game so idk.

Azure J

Not trying to be shady but why can't people just say "I think X character is good" without involving imaginary tier placings?

I don't know myself, although I guess I contribute to the problem every now and again with fun hyperbole related to tiering. (See my recent thoughts on Lucario potentially being a SERIOUS problem in Smash 4's life) The general populace's focus on to almost obsessive desire to tier things ASAP when a new fighting game comes out is kinda funny though. Most legit tier lists take into consideration a large sampling of time and player match ups before making any conclusions.

Infinite

I don't know myself, although I guess I contribute to the problem every now and again with fun hyperbole related to tiering. (See my recent thoughts on Lucario potentially being a SERIOUS problem in Smash 4's life) The general populace's focus on to almost obsessive desire to tier things ASAP when a new fighting game comes out is kinda funny though. Most legit tier lists take into consideration a large sampling of time and player match ups before making any conclusions.

Link me to your lucario thoughts I'm very interested.

I had to google who lucario is
out of touch :(
smh

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
last Pokemon game I played was heart gold, was he in that?

before that the last one I played was red

Shouta

You could say that for almost every fighting game

Maybe? It really depends on the game though. T.hawk in SF4 is a grappler but you can play footsies with him and be fairly effective from match-up to match-up. I don't think I could do that with Bullet in BB though. Game just doesn't support anything other than her going at you most of the time, lol.

Dlent

Maybe? It really depends on the game though. T.hawk in SF4 is a grappler but you can play footsies with him and be fairly effective from match-up to match-up. I don't think I could do that with Bullet in BB though. Game just doesn't support anything other than her going at you most of the time, lol.

I think her biggest matchup point is how well she can heat-up in neutral, but I'm hardly an expert.

NEO0MJ

He's just a crappy Mewtwo.

I know Lucario gets lamed for Mewtwo's elimination but those two play nothing alike. Only similarity between the two is a chargeable fireall that sways as it moves forward. And even then Mewtwo's fireball sways up and down whole Lucario's goes left and right.

Dahbomb

I would compare destiny to PSO or Diablo before I compared it to what people think when they hear mmo.
I would too in fact. There are 6 players max in a game for Destiny and that's a high level "Raid". Destiny is just a PvE + PvP Multiplayer Online FPS, there is no "Massive" component to it.

Mr. X

Tier list are fine.

It's people who think they're somehow not an individuals opinion based on the current time period of that games life that make it annoying.

Day 1 Tiers exist. Characters will stand out from others at this period of time and probably be easy to use and be effective first (First Order Optimal Strategies) but over time may weaken as people learn and understand the game and what the game emphasizes. Tier list are not set in stone, they are meant to be updated and changed as the game grows.

Top Bottom