• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 15-21 | Mewwho?

Fiktion

Banned
FirstPointlessFinch.gif

Benslammin

Neo Member
"i can't push buttons anymore baww"

Sorry man, but that's kinda how this reads. It's fine if SF4 ain't your game anymore, there's plenty of other fighters you can try out. Personally I think it's weird that people punishing unsafe stuff makes you not wanna play anymore (you can still use Ken I guess lol), but whatever floats your boat.

Well its not just because other people punish me easily, but also because it's too easy to punish other people. I can't really have fun with worse players like I do in other fighting games because its just too damn easy to completely pick them apart.

Like I said before, SF4 is really cut and dry and methodical if that makes sense.

Maybe it just boils down to that I really enjoyed SF4 as I was learning it, but at a certain point of a competitive level it loses all its soul for me. I don't feel the satisfaction of matches anymore. I just feel grind of trying to get better, but not the passion of the actual gameplay.

I was just maybe wondering if everyone has ever been through this before, because I like SF4 a lot and have put a lot of work into it up until this point.

Perhaps my problem is that I am only playing online. If I lived next to a scene it would probably breath a lot more life into the game for me.

Rhapsody

Banned
Headstomp moves are broken in every fighting game incarnation it seems. :p

/s

I am a little disappointed Smash 4 still won't let you tech roll footstools, haha.

I guess in a way I could see footstools as some sneaky "guard crush" into a free hit, but that didn't work out so well.

NEO0MJ

Thus the reason why he doesn't have a devil form like Jin and Kazuya do. :p

Though, astral projection is way more cooler than laser beams. Jinpachi is just more boss.

And then, you have Angel who makes them all cower down in fear. Whoever did the voice acting for Angel deserves a gold medal.

jhMwkUOqaQoUs.png

She was like a screeching Harpy, not the voice I remember her having. It's an interesting choice, though.

mbpm1

"i can't push buttons anymore baww"

Sorry man, but that's kinda how this reads. It's fine if SF4 ain't your game anymore, there's plenty of other fighters you can try out. Personally I think it's weird that people punishing unsafe stuff makes you not wanna play anymore (you can still use Ken I guess lol), but whatever floats your boat.

I'm not sure whether to agree or be offended as a Ken.

Village

Thus the reason why he doesn't have a devil form like Jin and Kazuya do. :p

Though, astral projection is way more cooler than laser beams. Jinpachi is just more boss.

And then, you have Angel who makes them all cower down in fear. Whoever did the voice acting for Angel deserves a gold medal.

jhMwkUOqaQoUs.png

I call her kazuya's stand.

I didn't think the beta was that bad... but I knew there were concerns about the game's content. I just wasn't expecting the beta to be over a quarter of the entire game! That and some really dumb decisions (like drops usually coming in lower than the rarity displayed) make me wonder what they were thinking.
I think the main flaw was that Bungie pitched Destiny as a complete package when it's more like a prologue in its current state. It's gonna get more content but they haven't said what type or at what frequency (asides from the infographic in the weekly update which looks sparse as hell).

Kimosabae

Banned
I think the main flaw was that Bungie pitched Destiny as a complete package when it's more like a prologue in its current state. It's gonna get more content but they haven't said what type or at what frequency (asides from the infographic in the weekly update which looks sparse as hell).

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that a year from now, people are going to be looking at this game in a completely new light.

That's usually how these spontaneous internet nerd-bursts go.

petghost

Banned
watching xrd again for the first time in months and wondering why they made fafnir into this ridiculous thing it is right now...its like a pilebunker with no risk. in fact its faster than a pilebunker and the reward is just as great. if it gets blocked its not only safe but it cranks guard gauge incredibly fast. if it hits you not only get a shit load of damage but take them to the corner from like anywhere. random fafnir seems like a huge part of sols neutral game.

also watching a lot ram (because everyone switched to her i guess) and wondering why they gave her dark angel... she got enough lockdown as it is man.

as a spectator im finding it kinda boring compared to +r but some matchups are still kinda fun to watch ie venom vs ky or venom vs pot.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that a year from now, people are going to be looking at this game in a completely new light.

That's usually how these spontaneous internet nerd-bursts go.
Assuming they keep their interest until then. I might do the shameful and trade off for CODAW until either a PC version of Destiny appears or some more interesting endgame activities appear.

Infinite

Not trying to be shady but why can't people just say "I think X character is good" without involving imaginary tier placings?

WarRock

Man, Street Fighter 4 is devolving from a game about fun competition to a soulless game only about getting better or lose in pure salt and shame.

I can't have fun with SF4 anymore. I can only have fun with older SF games like Alpha and Third Strike because they are FUN games with lots of systems. Why is SF4 turning so empty and just about winning for me?

Of course everyone calls me a hipster or that I have rose tinted glasses.

but SF4 just feels so cut and dry and extremely competitive to the point where I don't even have fun playing it anymore even if I win.

Is it that im starting to lose my soul for SF4 or does SF4 not really have much of a soul in terms of gameplay to begin with?

Play Breaker's Revenge.

petghost

Banned
What do you think of that matchup in Xrd so far. makes me want to break my stick in AC+.

i dont play either char so i have no idea but i think its probably about even. both characters have a lot of tools to cover similar things. they both have got great pokes and some of the best f.s's in the game. venom probably has slightly better screen control and he can make it hard for ky to approach but that gameplan isnt gonna last very long. i think the fact that venom lost lightning balls means that ky has an slight advantage as far as pressure/lockdown. venom seems to have less varied/reliable setups for oki now due to the same thing. venom has a scarier high low game while ky has more reliable damage.

Salex_

Soo the Arc System Works TGS schedule says this.

September 18
Main Stage
14:00 to 14:40 – New Titles Introduction Featuring Toshimichi Mori
14:40 to 15:00 – Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign with an Announcement Arc System Works Stage
16:00 to 16:15 – Arc System Works Stage

September 19

Main Stage
14:30 to 14:50 – Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign with an Announcement Arc System Works Stage
September 20

Main Stage
12:30 to 13:00 – Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign with an Announcement Arc System Works Stage
15:00 to 15:30 – Talk Show Featuring Daisuke Ishiwatari
http://gematsu.com/2014/09/tokyo-game-show-2014-live-stream-schedule

I wonder what these are? New character every day? Johnny? Please?

Not trying to be shady but why can't people just say "I think X character is good" without involving imaginary tier placings?

But if I don't know that a character is top tier how will I know to play them and how will I know they are definitively better than 80% of the cast

Sigmaah

Oh word Zero suit aka my smash main cause she got zero in her name and she's OD from what ppl say? Let's get it scrrrrrrr

Well its not just because other people punish me easily, but also because it's too easy to punish other people. I can't really have fun with worse players like I do in other fighting games because its just too damn easy to completely pick them apart.

Like I said before, SF4 is really cut and dry and methodical if that makes sense.

Maybe it just boils down to that I really enjoyed SF4 as I was learning it, but at a certain point of a competitive level it loses all its soul for me. I don't feel the satisfaction of matches anymore. I just feel grind of trying to get better, but not the passion of the actual gameplay.

I was just maybe wondering if everyone has ever been through this before, because I like SF4 a lot and have put a lot of work into it up until this point.

Perhaps my problem is that I am only playing online. If I lived next to a scene it would probably breath a lot more life into the game for me.

TBH it sounds like it's you not SF4. Did you play 3rd Strike and Alpha at this level? Seems like you just don't like competitive play.

Mr. X

I know what you're saying Benslammin.

SF4 is dry and calculated and feels like most characters have this "right way" to play with no room for deviating from it. It all feels very forced on you once you learn it like very structured and rigid.

jbug617

Banned
Markman just listed the USF4 exhibitions for TGS

Mike Ross vs Mago
Jayce The Ace vs Tokido
Justin Wong vs Daigo
Nemo vs Daigo

I know what you're saying Benslammin.

SF4 is dry and calculated and feels like most characters have this "right way" to play with no room for deviating from it. It all feels very forced on you once you learn it like very structured and rigid.

Sounds kinda like Blazblue, where you literally cannot play ca character other than the way the developer intended you to if you want to win.

Top Bottom