• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did it for Strike Witches which were anthropomorphized airplanes. Well, I guess Strike Witches was based on a LN...

Story will follow Fubuki's point of view, who oddly enough doesn't have a figure coming yet.

Yeah, but Strike Witches was pretty entertaining. Even moreso for those who like loli butts. But I dunno, given how many warships are represented in the kantai game, it might be much safer for wallet if I stay away from them.

Now where is my GSC Mikasa? I want to pre-order now.

johnsmith

remember me
Guys. it's almost 2014. So what were everybody's favorite figures new figures this year? 2013 was an amazing year for rereleases, especially since 2 of my all time favorites finally got rereleased, Velvet and Momohime. And while I think 2012 was overall a better year, 2013 wasn't too shabby.

My Top 5

1. Kongiku
    Though the breasts were definitely controversial, I think this figure was perfect, and is a worthy companion to Momohime.
    pOGNlpj.png
  2. Dark Elf
    It was so hard to choose between the blue and the brown versions that I had to get both, and I don't regret it.
    mRUSxgn.png
  3. Hacker
    The 7th Dragon 2020 follow up to Samurai did not disappoint. Shining Wizard continues to be the best.
    78KrdS5.png
  4. E2046 Mitsuru Kirijo
    Though technically a bootleg, this prepainted figure from E2046 puts a lot of legitimately licensed companies to shame.
    BpN9Qq5.png
  5. Chie
    A huge improvement over Rise and Yukiko, Megahouse finally redeemed themselves a little here.
    iYrnBcV.jpg

Disqualified
Power Girl
Bishoujos are the gateway drug for collectors, and Power Girl is one of the best yet. Though they can be hit or miss, Power Girl was a home run.

qz7wStS.png

Honorable Mentions:

Huntress

Might have made my list if I owned them in 2013:
Maou
Junko Enoshima
Ques Q Elizabeth
Psylocke

Biggest Disappointments:
Megahouse Rise Kujikawa
Meruru
Vertex Mitsuru

Figure I most regret not buying
Arcadia's Elin

Most looking forward to in 2014
Tharja
7th Dragon 2020 Miku
7th Dragon 2020 Psychic
Bishoujo Jubilee
Alter Labrys

Guys. it's almost 2014. So what were everybody's favorite figures new figures this year?

[*]Dark Elf
It was so hard to choose between the blue and the brown versions that I had to get both, and I don't regret it.
mRUSxgn.png

Yes, definitely my favorite. I also bought both though if I had to make a choice I'd go with blue. Considering I only bought 3 figures this year it's not much of a list.

Biggest Disappointments:
Megahouse Rise Kujikawa
Meruru
Vertex Mitsuru
Psylocke

o_O Why?

No! New 2013 releases only.

Okay, then. But uh... why does MFC show a 2012 release for Power Girl bishoujo, then? DISQUALIFIED!

Anyway, here's what I got...

BEST OF 2013

1. Hacker Chelsea - This is without a doubt the figure that took me from just the gateway bishoujo collecting into the greater world of figure collecting. The Gothic look was too much to resist.

2. Kongiku - Sexy and elegant at the same time. Even though her knockers are huge in a ridiculous way, it's easy to overlook because of the way the rest of this figure came out. Even the base does a great job of playing up her theme.

3. Melty de Granite - I know this one is under the wire, but it's still 2013 and I have her in hand. I just got her today and she's gorgeous. She even has an ice-cream plate as a base. The ice cream cone was a unique idea, the likes of which we still don't see too often. Also, ice cream is delicious.

4. Bishoujo Shepard - This one was a bit of a surprise to me. She didn't make the list because I'm a big Mass Effect fan, but because they managed to make her look sexy in full body armor without downplaying the strength of the character. This is easily one of (if not the most) clothed bishoujo out there, and I would argue one of the best. We need more sci-fi themed figures.

5.Karen Araragi - Come on, between that carefree, confident look on her face, and the pose that's a perfect depiction of her personality, this one is a winner. And her base is a steamroller!

A steamroller!

Giolon

• Power Girl
    Bishoujos are the gateway drug for collectors, and Power Girl is one of the best yet. Though they can be hit or miss, Power Girl was a home run.
    qz7wStS.png

Uh, Power Girl was a 2012 release. A fantastic figure, but not a 2013. (I see she was re-released in Feb '13 but as you said, re-releases don't count. I originally got her in Oct/Nov '12 while I was in Japan.)

My 2013 top 5 is list coming shortly!

Edit: I see someone already pointed this out to you.

chrono01

chrono01's Top 5 10 Best Figures of 2013 [I have not numbered them since ranking them would be too difficult >_<]:

Cat Lap Milk:

It's Native, and as usual, they continue their trend of "Not Safe For Work" figures. However, Cat Lap Milk is among their more tame ones, with the option to basically display her covered [at least, her rear]. She's sculpted/colored beautifully, and is definitely a unique figure in my collection. It also combines the "Tri-Fecta" of fetishes: cat-girl, maid, and shimapan. How could I not love it?

Asmodeus:

I know, I know. Rust issues on her chain. Given her price, it's something that shouldn't have happened, Orchid Seed/Hobby Japan should have known better. That issue aside, she is an incredible figure. She's what got me started in collecting the Seven Deadly Sins line and, while expensive, I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the theme behind them all, with Asmodeus herself representing "Lust".

I couldn't agree more.

Insane Black Rock Shooter:

Kiking continues to impress me with his sculpts. Insane Black Rock Shooter is incredibly dynamic, requiring a lot of shelf space to display her. She's well worth it, though. I love everything about her.

Amane Suzuha:

Alter, you gave us a figure with a fully articulated bike! I hope you know how amazing you are, for this truly demonstrates it. In addition to that, she's sculpted flawlessly and the coloring perfectly captures Huke's artwork. I wish/hope Alter does more of the Steins;Gate series. I will be there, wallet in-hand.

Belldandy with Holy Bell:

Few figures I can call works of art. I love so many in my collection, but Belldandy with Holy Bell I can honestly call art. It's beautiful in its simplicity, but also extremely elegant. Max Factory pulled off an amazing piece to celebrate their 25th anniversary and, while she was expensive, is worth every cent I paid for it.

Leviathan:

Let me pre-face this by saying, this one has a few issues. Well, issue I should say. Her clothing isn't easy to get fastened correctly, as it often-times sits "loose" on her. It can take some working/modding, but when you get everything resting as it should, she is perfect. I love the expression on her face, and the color scheme is just eye-pleasing. The re-color, on the other hand...not so much.

Lucifer:

I know what you're thinking, another Seven Deadly Sins figure? That makes...what...three on my list, the only three released in 2013? That only goes to show how much I admire them.

This beauty was sculpted by the talented Tanaka Masanori. He mostly does Super Sonico figures, but is also involved with a few of the Seven Deadly Sins as well as the upcoming Panty [Orchid Seed]. He does great work, and I love her modestly-sculpted body [she's not too "large" in the chest-region]. Sin of Pride indeed.

Misty:

As usual, Alter delivers a fantastic product. I'm not too familiar with the series, but when I first laid eyes on her I knew I had to have her.

I wasn't disappointed.

Kongiku:

Some people have an issue with the size of her breasts. I say it's accurate to the original artwork and how it's perceived in game. Alter captures it brilliantly.

As an aside, the lantern lights up but I can't see myself using that feature very often, except for maybe a few pictures or so [to show the novelty]. It's nice that it's there, but not exactly needed/required. Everything about the actual figure, though, is perfect. Alter replicated Kamitani's artwork without flaw, at least in my personal opinion.

Hacker:

Yeah, you knew this one was coming. I am in-love with Max Factory's 7th Dragon 2020 line of figures. Samurai was one of my favorites from 2012 [and of all-time], and Hacker this year is no different. I don't think I really need to explain why, simply gaze upon her perfection. Max Factory/Shining Wizard did justice to Miwa Shirou's artwork. It seriously couldn't be better.

I anxiously await Psychic.

Figures Currently Being Shipped:

There are several figures that are en-route to me that won't arrive until after the New Year, namely Melty from Alter, Bayonetta from Phat, Daisy from Kotobukiya, Super Sonico [1/5] from Orchid Seed, and a few others. While I can honestly see Melty and Super Sonico possibly making my list, I cannot include them since I haven't personally seen/received them yet. :/

Giolon

Without further ado, Giolon's Top 5 of 2013 (That I have purchased)

Giolon's Top 5 of 2013 said:
  1. Asmodeus!
    Asmodeus.jpg

This figure has everything going for her: Humoungous horns; Stunning eyes; Gorgeous, flowing bright pink hair; Hypnotic zig-zag patterns; And of course, a knockout voluptuous figure. Yet, for being the embodiment of Lust, she's surprisingly tasteful.
  2. Elizabeth!
    Elizabeth-5.jpg

My holy grail of figures (Alter Elizabeth) was surpassed by this Ques Q version, which led to a great deal of relief for me. I've loved her design since I first saw it in Persona 3, and then getting to interact with her personality and her not-quite-understanding the human world cemented her as one of my favorite characters in the game. For a relative newcomer, Ques Q knocked this one out of the park.
  3. Kongiku!
    MomohimeKongiku-2.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have many great photos of Kongiku so I opted to go for this one with her lantern lit up. The detail paintwork on her kimono is fantastic, though I wish it had a few more fabric wrinkles and folds in it. Her face is impeccable. My one complaint is that they inflated her boobs even larger than they already were in the original artwork. It just wasn't necessary.
  4. Lucifer
    Lucifer.jpg

She just looks so elegant and light. The pose and expression radiate Pride. While she doesn't have horns quite as large as Asmodeus, they are quite nicely curved. I love those armored thigh-high boots!
  5. Bishoujo FemShep!
    LiaraShep.jpg

I'm not in love with the dark shade of red they chose for her hair, but her armor came out stunning.

This list would've been quite different had there not been so many last minute delays. Guaranteed to have made the cut were:
Tharja
Fiona Yamashita Shunya Ver.

Overall, 2013 was a pretty low volume year for me, but it did have two figures that instantly rocketed into my all time favorites list (Asmodeus and Elizabeth). I tried intentionally to keep my figure acquisitions low this year as I was desperately running out of space in my apartment. Now I bought my own larger condo, and it has a little more room for displaying figures, but I want to be careful not to let them take over!

With the delays of 2013 in place, 2014 is looking to be a wallet-busting year from early on. I may actually have to get into selling some more of my less-loved figures in order to make room for the new ones.

george_us

I just started collecting figures in July so I haven't bought too much.

Bah my two favorite figures didn't even come out in 2013 so fuck my list.

Biggest Disappointments:
Bayonetta

None

Black Canary
Jubilee
Ryuko Matoi
Megahouse Amazon
Mammon

chrono01

hahaha, source?
Fairy Tail.

A great anime that was, unfortunately, cut short. It had a great "last episode", although the manga continues on.

There are talks/plans of it coming back, though. It was very enjoyable, and had great music/characters [in my personal opinion].

Giolon

Great lists people! I love the representation of 7 Sins out there!

Fairy Tail.

A great anime that was, unfortunately, cut short. It had a great "last episode", although the manga continues on.

There are talks/plans of it coming back, though. It was very enjoyable, and had great music/characters [in my personal opinion].

The return of Fairy Tail was just announced this weekend: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-28/fairy-tail-anime-restarts-in-april

Jayhawk

I can't decide on a top 5, since I still have yet to open my figures bought this year. :( Renovations including display area put on hold, since I might have to move again in the near future. X_X

StayDead

I've ended up getting so many nendos this year that I'm not sure I could possibly do a top 5. I'll do a top 10 when I get back later I guess.

Elixir

5. King Arthur

4. Cat Lap Milk

3. Gwendolyn

2. Reset

1. Suzuha

...out of 37 figures this year, although most were reprints or older, more expensive stuff.

Might have made my list if I owned them in 2013:

Max Factory Elf (brown)

Biggest disappointments:

Leviathan (shirt, questionable QC)
Asmodeus (arrived with pre-installed rust)
Hacker (custard hair)

None

Embrace Japan - King Arthur
Vertex - Tiki
Kotobukiya - Dark Angel Olivia
Native - Stella
Orchid Seed - Kirie

Nendoroid Snow Miku - Probably one of the nicest Nendoroids ever. Such a pretty design, lots of lovely accessories, and makes for a nice centre display piece.
o0515056812327280400.jpg

Alter Suzuha Amane - The delay was worth it. The bike has amazing detail, and overall an incredibly polished figure. Love the design as well.
alter_amane_suzuha01.jpg

Hot Toys Iron Man Mark VII - Been waiting to get a Hot Toys Iron Man figure for a while, and the wait for this one was well worth it. My favourite Iron Man suit design, with loads of accessories, removal parts and cool lights. Highly polished figure, and one that even figure snobs find cool.
ironmanhottoiy72620122.jpeg

Belldandy and Holy Bell - What's there to say? Flawless. So much detail. It's more a pristine work of art than your typical figure.
jargon201308_04.jpg

Got this back in January, but I knew nothing was going to beat this. Ridiculous amount of work went into this. So much removal parts, fantastic paint job, highly articulated. Programmed lights are fucking awesome. The second most expensive figure I've ever bought, and worth every penny.
901831-mgs-rex-004.jpg

Notable Mentions
-Alter Kogiku
-Max Factory Blue Dark Elf
-GSC Ichika Takastuki
-Hot Toys Catwoman

Biggest Disappointment
-Kotobukiya Ling Xiayou (really dislike the eyes)
-Kotobukiya Lili (Never recovered from that massive hair...)
-Hot Toys '89 Batmobile (I only recently received this, but the disappointment lies more in the fact that it's so huge and I have no room at all for it. So it'll have to be sold :( )

-Hot Toys Eric Draven
-ThreeA Atlus + P-Body
-ThreeA Metal Gear Ray
-Max Factory Tharja
-Medicom Link
-Megahouse Elf

Top 5:

Insane Black Rock Shooter (GSC):

Proof that GSC are capable of flawless production. Or at least mine was. Like chrono, I really appreciate the dynamic pose, which seems to be something Kiking excels at, GSC are willing to make, and I'm willing to buy. A deal that works out nicely.

Belldandy w/ Holy Bell (Max Factory):

A well liked 16-year-old GK from one of the best sculptors in the business makes it to PVC in style. Sounds like a 25th anniversary done right to me.

Melty Christmas Ver. (Alter):

You did it Alter. Zero variance from the prototype and in time for December. How?

In addition, the illu she's based on is possibly my favourite thing Tony Taka has ever done. And I own Houmei.

Hacker (Max Factory):

mf-hacker-web-00ubszk.jpg

In an effort to keep all the pictures in this post my own, enjoy this failed lighting experiment with Samurai in the background, that I only uploaded to show somebody else how she turned out. Yeah...

The most commanding of goth lolis. Shining Wizard is able to match artwork with unparalleled accuracy, which is even better when it's Miwa Shirou he's adapting. Also, yeah, I'm one of those people that likes stupid tiny hats that presumably require magic to stay in place.

Sasaki Kotone (Native):

sasaki-kotone-web-lewlbsyb.jpg

Modified to protect my account, the children and GAF from our Google ads overlords. But mostly my account.

Iwanaga Sakurako's speciality is skinny girls, frequently with long hair, which just so happens to be relevant to my interests. Really though, everything is outstanding about this figure, with the dress probably being the most insane. The sculpt speaks for itself, as did the price tag and shipping cost.

Biggest disappointment

Obviously Mitsuru. Fuck you Vertex.

Figure I regret not buying

Seragaki Aoba. Guy figures regularly suck. This one didn't.

2014 Hype train

Kamael (MF)
Tharja (MF)
Shadow Wing (OS)
I want to say Utena but it's Megahouse.

Sushigod7

Didn't really buy much for figures this year Kongiku but sold her, enjoying your figures guys! Next year I'll be getting a few more though.

Ryuuroden

I just started on figures this year after years of making fun of friends who collect them so I haven't gotten many from this year and instead focused on older ones I missed. I don't even think I have 5 that were released this year that were not re-releases. Because of that I will just name the one that stood out the most of the ones I purchased. The winner is:

Kotobukiya: Henneko - Tsukiko Tsutsukakushi

However, for next year, I am already expecting quite the contest with expectations for;

Megahouse - Dragons Crown - Elf
Alter - Signum
Kotobukiya - Sakuya: Mode Seriphim
Kotobukiya - Dark Angel Olivia
Phat! - Swamp Witch Metallica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom