• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoshi1

I got the Beach Queens Saori from Girls Und Panzer today, and bought a 7 foot shelf for all my future figures, and the little amount of ones I have currently.

Today was a good day.

Bombless

Newcomer here to FigureGAF and I just wanted to say you guys weren't kidding when you were saying Kotobukiya is the gateway drug to figure collection. Just got my Kotobukiya Chun-li figure a few days ago and the excitement caused me to pre-order Kotobukiya's Jun Kazama (Tekken) and Cammy (Street Fighter). Already on the hunt for Asuka Kazama & Christie Monteiro (Tekken). RIP my wallet but thank you for the amazing and informative OT.

Ohoho, welcome SDBurton :D Not a big fan of Asuka, but Christie is $$$$. They're on my list but veeery low priority right now. The first half of 2014 is kinda retarded in terms of figures, and WonFes is likely to add a couple more for the 2nd half.

RIP wallets all around.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Newcomer here to FigureGAF and I just wanted to say you guys weren't kidding when you were saying Kotobukiya is the gateway drug to figure collection. Just got my Kotobukiya Chun-li figure a few days ago and the excitement caused me to pre-order Kotobukiya's Jun Kazama (Tekken) and Cammy (Street Fighter). Already on the hunt for Asuka Kazama & Christie Monteiro (Tekken). RIP my wallet but thank you for the amazing and informative OT.

You should start grabbing Senran Kagura figures. :)

you spelled hyakka samurai wrong.

hIE1365691194.jpeg

javac

OMG I'VE JUST SEEN A SAILOR MERCURY FIGUARTS! T_T It's beautiful...I need it. Damn now I'm already getting addicted D:

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
if you live in the USA you should never preorder bishoujo.

you can get most bishoujo a few months after American release on Amazon for like 40 bucks with free shipping Xiaoyu is currently 51 bucks free shipping. Wait a few and she'll be like 40-45.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can play the waiting game in the future then.

Ohoho, welcome SDBurton :D Not a big fan of Asuka, but Christie is $$$$. They're on my list but veeery low priority right now. The first half of 2014 is kinda retarded in terms of figures, and WonFes is likely to add a couple more for the 2nd half.

RIP wallets all around.

I'll probably get both when I get my next paycheck, among other things. :D

Maaaaan don't even get me started on those! The temptation is there believe me!

Bombless

OMG I'VE JUST SEEN A SAILOR MERCURY FIGUARTS! T_T It's beautiful...I need it. Damn now I'm already getting addicted D:

Uhh..run while you can, the whole inner sailors crew is made. Moon and Mercury are out, Mars is next, then Jupiter and Venus is last.

Welcome. Also, OMG AnimeGAF is invading. XD

I started with Kotobukiya's bishoujo series as well. Though I first got into them on the comic side, with the Marvel and DC bishoujo lines. But eventually you'll see something put out by another company that you'll just have to have. Then it's all over.

As for the Tekken bishoujos, Christie is actually the only one I've bought so far, and that was only because she started going up in price ($100+ on Nippon-Yasan and Amazon), but I grabbed her for $65 + shipping before she sold out at Kirin Hobby. I still haven't opened her, though. I'll probably get Jun once she hits Amazon and gets down to about $45 or so. Also, the next Tekken bishoujo is going to be announced at New York Toy Fair the week after next.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can play the waiting game in the future then.

Christie is pretty rare now. Asuka, Lili, Xiaoyu, Alisa and Jaycee should be decently easy to find. Though you might have an easier time finding the alt color alisa and not the original.

Christie is pretty rare now. Asuka, Lili, Xiaoyu, Alisa and Jaycee should be decently easy to find. Though you might have an easier time finding the alt color alisa and not the original.

AmiAmi still takes orders for the original Alisa. She's on backorder, but AmiAmi is usually pretty good about getting bishoujos.

SDBurton

Probably the most useful figure out there. Doubles as a key holder:

If that's not a perfect sales pitch I don't know what is.

Welcome. Also, OMG AnimeGAF is invading. XD

I started with Kotobukiya's bishoujo series as well. Though I first got into them on the comic side, with the Marvel and DC bishoujo lines. But eventually you'll see something put out by another company that you'll just have to have. Then it's all over.

As for the Tekken bishoujos, Christie is actually the only one I've bought so far, and that was only because she started going up in price ($100+ on Nippon-Yasan and Amazon), but I grabbed her for $65 + shipping before she sold out at Kirin Hobby. I still haven't opened her, though. I'll probably get Jun once she hits Amazon and gets down to about $45 or so. Also, the next Tekken bishoujo is going to be announced at New York Toy Fair the week after next.

Awwww yeah!

And nice job snagging Christie for $65, saw on Amazon she's $100+ like you said and I'm like "Daaaaamn!"

javac

I was going to get that Jun Kazama figure but I don't like the lips on teh figures :/ And something about the proportions. I love Jun tho.

Jayhawk

Christie is the only Tekken bishoujo I bought and like. The other ones didn't appeal to me because of their outfits or something else.

And nice job snagging Christie for $65, saw on Amazon she's $100+ like you said and I'm like "Daaaaamn!"

A word of advice, don't pay $100+ for a bishoujo. They're nice figures, and fun to collect, but they're not worth insane prices. The most I've ever paid for one was $100 for the Ms. Marvel Binary variant, but only because I was tired of looking for her for a reasonable price, and I really wanted her before she sold out completely. Some of them hit insane prices. The Liara bishoujo from Mass Effect is sitting at around $225, while Catwoman is around $350 - $400. Insane.

FYI, there's a little place on the internet called Statue Forum. They mostly focus on comic-based statues and figures, but they have a Kotobukiya section as well. And there's a Kotobukiya rep named "gonk" who stops by now and again to answer questions. I browse now and then to see what info he gives up.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
i have many keys , i'm gonna need more characters from the sengan kagura universe..

Poor mirai..

Got you covered.

A word of advice, don't pay $100+ for a bishoujo. They're nice figures, and fun to collect, but they're not worth insane prices. The most I've ever paid for one was $100 for the Ms. Marvel Binary variant, but only because I was tired of looking for her for a reasonable price, and I really wanted her before she sold out completely. Some of them hit insane prices. The Liara bishoujo from Mass Effect is sitting at around $225, while Catwoman is around $350 - $400. Insane.

FYI, there's a little place on the internet called Statue Forum. They mostly focus on comic-based statues and figures, but they have a Kotobukiya section as well. And there's a Kotobukiya rep named "gonk" who stops by now and again to answer questions. I browse now and then to see what info he gives up.

Yeah, I agree. They're a nice a cheap entrypoint, but they're not worth $100+ unless you're a huge, hardcore fan of the character and there aren't other options.

Bombless

If that's not a perfect sales pitch I don't know what is.

Awwww yeah!

Dat ass sculpt is worth that reaction. The price, well, that's debatable. But dat ass sculpt.

johnsmith

remember me
A word of advice, don't pay $100+ for a bishoujo. They're nice figures, and fun to collect, but they're not worth insane prices. The most I've ever paid for one was $100 for the Ms. Marvel Binary variant, but only because I was tired of looking for her for a reasonable price, and I really wanted her before she sold out completely. Some of them hit insane prices. The Liara bishoujo from Mass Effect is sitting at around $225, while Catwoman is around $350 - $400. Insane. .
Wow. That was in the bargain bin for longest time. But that always happens with bishoujos. One week they're on sale for $40, the next they're going for $100+.

kewlmyc

So since we are a few hours away, is there anything that HASN'T been announced that you want to be announced here?

I want a Rebellion Homura figure to go along with the Ultimate Madoka figure.

SDBurton

Ahhh gotcha. I'm a huge Tekken fan, so if I can't find any cheaper alternatives I have no problem dropping $100 for Christie. Thanks for the site link. :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So since we are a few hours away, is there anything that HASN'T been announced that you want to be announced here?

I want a Rebellion Homura figure to go along with the Ultimate Madoka figure.

Dead or Alive figures
Litchi from BlazBlue
More DanganRonpa figures

I'm really looking forward to seeing new sculpts for Labrys from Alter and Sorceress from Orchid Seed.

Will we see most of the stuff right away, or will it trickle in throughout the weekend?

SDBurton

You'll notice we're very eager in helping others to spend their hard earned money.

For sure, I have like what 5 posts and already found an Asuka figure cheaper than what they have on amazon because of everyone's help. You guys rock.

zoku88

I've heard that Beach Queens are of general low quality (is this true?) but I'm really thinking of picking up that Ranko.

Bombless

I've heard that Beach Queens are of general low quality (is this true?) but I'm really thinking of picking up that Ranko.

They're produced en masse (the models, not sure about the quantities) so there's bound to be issues. I have to admit she's rather original for a swimsuit figure, but if you're into the character and the swimsuit isn't really necessary I'd go for the figma. Or wait a bit, there might be scaled figs announced of her at WonFes.

Huh. Looking at Mitsuru's recolour...clever use of paint to make her appear different...except the "flesh" has cloth wrinkles in some spots lol.

They're produced en masse (the models, not sure about the quantities) so there's bound to be issues. I have to admit she's rather original for a swimsuit figure, but if you're into the character and the swimsuit isn't really necessary I'd go for the figma. Or wait a bit, there might be scaled figs announced of her at WonFes.

Doesn't GSC have a couple of Cinderella Girls figures out? I'd be surprised if they didn't do something with Ranko, too.

SDBurton

I'm also looking at buying a display cabinet to house my figures in, a friend linked me this one but I wanted to see if there were any other possible alternatives before I possibly take the hour drive tomorrow.

Bombless

2sY8nPs.png

Took a little longer than I was expecting. Tomorrow I'm going to add some extra lights to my first setup as I didn't use enough last time.

This is Johnsmith's last acquisition. I got the same (half of that) 2 days ago, will be fully assembled this weekend. The LEDs are separate, 2x 4 packs for 1 shelf unit. It's a tad more expensive than a detolf but has a lot more space and is much lighter (the detolf packs weigh 45kgs each). Detolfs are nice but for a couple BIG pieces imo.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20213312/

I'm also looking at buying a display cabinet to house my figures in, a friend linked me this one but I wanted to see if there were any other possible alternatives before I possibly take the hour drive tomorrow.

Yeah, detolf units are what most everyone went with, but they seem to be getting pretty scarce. I've got two. If I could find any locally, I'd buy two more. Some of us are finding alternate solutions.

I'm going to be going with this and two of these the next time I get down to Ikea.

Edit: meijiko posted a pic of what billy bookcases look like [much] earlier in the thread. There's a detolf in the shot, too. For comparison.

Guys what are the best sites for the latest news on Japanese figures?
Toyark is my main place but they are a little slow when it comes to Japanese figures.

Guys what are the best sites for the latest news on Japanese figures?
Toyark is my main place but they are a little slow when it comes to Japanese figures.

What johnsmith said. Though I also check out the MFC pages for figures I'm interested in, as you can pick up little bits of info from the comments people post.

zoku88

Oh god why?

If you need a Wanko figure, the figma looks way better.

I'll be honest, I have no idea who this character is, haha.

EDIT: Anyway, I'll resist. I've been buying too many figures. I don't even open all of them anyway :(

SDBurton

Yeah, detolf units are what most everyone went with, but they seem to be getting pretty scarce. I've got two. If I could find any locally, I'd buy two more. Some of us are finding alternate solutions.

I'm going to be going with this and two of these the next time I get down to Ikea.

Edit: meijiko posted a pic of what billy bookcases look like [much] earlier in the thread. There's a detolf in the shot, too. For comparison.

Thanks for the info, guess I'll make the drive if that's the case.

Tomopop, plastikitty, ohnoraptors. It's all in the ot.
Yeah my bad, I haven't been on the first page since this was created.
Guess I should have checked.
Thank you
What johnsmith said. Though I also check out the MFC pages for figures I'm interested in, as you can pick up little bits of info from the comments people post.
Thanks.

Edit: man there is already another Figma Miku coming?
Glad I am not a completionist... yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom