• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMOGMOFGMOFGMGZOMZOMZGOMGOG ()#*$*$(
Attack on Titan figures! We need some dioramas too! Take my money, all of it! My favorite figure announcement this year!
FV7Ea6c.jpg

I hope that base is for sale too. I want that whole custom dio!
ghHiyiC.jpg

More like Attack on Wallet.

Betty

Banned
Quick question for figure Gaf, is this listing for Metal Gear Rex by seller "Domo Arigato! From Japan" legit?

It's almost £100 cheaper than the rest and the postage is also quite low.

Also, if it is legit, please convince me not to buy it, cause I'm struggling not to :p

EDIT:
Things on amazon that aren't listed as being "Fulfilled by Amazon" may quite possibly be counterfeit. Don't do it.

Ah, figured as much, thanks.

Quick question for figure Gaf, is this listing for Metal Gear Rex by seller "Domo Arigato! From Japan" legit?

It's almost £100 cheaper than the rest and the postage is also quite low.

Also, if it is legit, please convince me not to buy it, cause I'm struggling not to :p

Things on amazon that aren't listed as being "Fulfilled by Amazon" may quite possibly be counterfeit. Don't do it.

EDIT:
Ah, figured as much, thanks.

Yeah, it's not that it's always 100% of the time a giveaway to something being a fake, but when it's not Amazon fulfilling the order, and the price is that much below the going rate for an item (especially anime figures), it's very fishy.

Anyone been to Image Anime in nyc? Thinking of going there, buying figuarts, then go fuck around in manhattan.

If anyone has been to the store, are the prices similar to the ones they have online? Is the selection the same as what they have online?

Online is probably always better. Even when its in japan and cost 20 bucks to ship. The markup in the states is huge

Markups worse than $20 shipping?

Yeah. For instance, this character Gisen is currently floating around 30-50 dollars in Japan before shipping.

http://www.animejungle.net/user/scripts/user/product.php?product_id=32533

Anime Jungle has a store in little tokyo (CA) and its about 120. Though this is one of the more drastic cases.

This character (buddy) goes for about 6-7k yen so about 70 bucks~ before shipping. On the same store its going for about 120 as well.
http://www.animejungle.net/user/scripts/user/product.php?product_id=21669

Now for Toylet (a company that sponsored WNF for a bit and Revelations 1st one)

Jubei was on Preorder (Before it closed) for 120 on nippon-Yassan since it was an exclusive. http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en...bei-hakugin-no-kenki-ver-limited-edition.html

Toylet on the otherhand has it for 180 http://www.toylet.net/sp168ltd.html

There are cases where the prices are close, but often times its atleast 40 dollars more expensive.

Arcadia used to be Yamato. They're a good company.
It's been a very long time since I've bought anything from Yamato, but back when I was collecting Macross stuff and closely following their releases, I recall a lot of their first run products having either some sort of widespread QC problems or design oversights. No idea if that was just confined to Macross or if it bled over to their other lines. Their Macross figures are so pretty though, I'd still be collecting them if I won the lottery.

It's been a very long time since I've bought anything from Yamato, but back when I was collecting Macross stuff and closely following their releases, I recall a lot of their first run products having either some sort of widespread QC problems or design oversights. No idea if that was just confined to Macross or if it bled over to their other lines. Their Macross figures are so pretty though, I'd still be collecting them if I won the lottery.

That's a shame. I didn't know they'd had issues like that. My experience with their figures has been good. Made me wonder how many Yamato figures I own and apparently it's 9(with 1 more on the way). The only one of those that has issues is Non-Non from 2008. From looking at pictures it seems like she just wasn't one of their best across the board, unfortunately. She looks good from a distance, but the paint doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The most recent release I have by them, Velvet, is one of my favourite figures. I have yet to own anything from them as Arcadia, but they did release that Elin last month and people seem happy with that.

The Shirow figure looks nice(that hair shading), but December again! Ugh.

johnsmith

remember me
I think I might want to try and find a KOS-MOS figma for a reasonable price. Do I have to worry about counterfeit figmas?

Yes, though mfc doesn't list this figure as being counterfeited.

Just grab her from mandarake. Cheaper and no worries about counterfeits.

LiK

Hnnng Masamune Shirow art.

D7Du9Ca.jpg

High price and december release though...What's the track record of Arcadia?

nice sculpt but i have previous PVC figures based on this series of Shirow's art and they're hit or miss. the paint wasn't applied very well and actually got a lil sticky over time. not the best quality. not sure if this one is improved.

chrono01

Just announced today was the release date/price/etc. for Megahouse's Labrys.

irZ8N07ePQ46l.jpg

Release Date - December, 2013 [Another December release?]
Price - ¥14286 [Wait...WHAT!?]
Run - Exclusive [...Yeah, definitely passing]

What does this mean? Well, you won't be able to pre-order her through AmiAmi, Hobby Search, or any of the usual shops. You'll have to use a proxy that usually requires payment up-front [Big in Japan, Mio Boutique, etc.]. Nippon-Yasan should have her too, and they don't require payment until a few weeks prior to release.

However, more bad news. Since she's an exclusive you won't be getting a store discount, ¥14286 will be what you're paying. Actually, you'll be paying more in addition to that since proxies like to add in extra cost for their troubles and such [which is understandable, considering they need to make money too]. So she'll probably be around ¥15500-¥16000 when the dust has settled, which is close to the price I paid for Sailing Again Franky [One Piece], and given his size and what items he comes with, it makes the price for Labrys look even more insane.

My advice? Wait for Alter's Labrys. Their quality will almost definitely be better, be priced a lot cheaper, and more easily available. I'm really not sure what Megahouse is thinking with this one.

If, for whatever reason, you are still interested given all of the above information, pre-orders open on August 9th.

eucharis

I've been working on this off and on for a week and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be painting it today. I'm pretty content with how it turned out since it is my first figure but I know it's not 100% correct from the picture (and I wish it was!) I really hope I can make good garage kits someday.

And Wonder Festival is having some amazing figures like Kotobukiya Dark Angel Olivia and their CU-pouches I really want to get the Madoka one.

I've been working on this off and on for a week and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be painting it today. I'm pretty content with how it turned out since it is my first figure but I know it's not 100% correct from the picture (and I wish it was!) I really hope I can make good garage kits someday.

And Wonder Festival is having some amazing figures like Kotobukiya Dark Angel Olivia and their CU-pouches I really want to get the Madoka one.

That's coming out awesome dude! What materials do you use? I would love to try my hand at sculpting things/making my own figures some time :)

johnsmith

remember me
Can anyone please identify these figures for me?

First one
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/144419

Third one
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/118180

Haha. Oh wow. Megahouse can fuck off. If I get a Labrys it'll be Alter's. They made the decision easy.

LiK

fucking sweet. looks good.

eucharis

That's coming out awesome dude! What materials do you use? I would love to try my hand at sculpting things/making my own figures some time :)

Thanks that makes me happy to hear. I just use a mixture of polymer clay (it all dried out so I mixed all my clays together in a food processor (like sculpey and fimo)) Yeah if you have any questions I'd be happy to help you out. You can see me talking about it here http://youtu.be/NEjjpIvK-d0 It would be awesome if I can hold polls and make figures of characters people choose.

fucking sweet. looks good.
Thanks man means a lot : )

Thanks that makes me happy to hear. I just use a mixture of polymer clay (it all dried out so I mixed all my clays together in a food processor (like sculpey and fimo)) Yeah if you have any questions I'd be happy to help you out. You can see me talking about it here http://youtu.be/NEjjpIvK-d0 It would be awesome if I can hold polls and make figures of characters people choose.

Thanks!
That's kind of what I'd love to do in the future. At present if I work hard enough I'd hopefully be good enough to do zbrush sculpts of characters and print them in 3D. But there's just something about working with real clay that really attracts me. I'll be moving house soon, so I'm gonna try to get a little workshop area and start sometime. Keep going, it looks like loads of fun :D

It really is coming along great!

Just a quick question though, do you not have an armature in there yet? Or am I just not seeing it stick out for the base? I know that some people work that way and it gives you a little bit of flexibility in terms of what angles you can work at, but I've never been brave enough to do it.

Since we're sharing here's a picture of a Sgt. Frog set I made a while back:
tumblr_lymkhnCpqh1qkvyy6o1_500.jpg

Also all these Wonder Fest figures make me realize I'm going to easily spend $2000 in the near future. My bank account aches so bad, and there's no shelf space for all of them.

Arveene

Neo Member

What does this mean? Well, you won't be able to pre-order her through AmiAmi, Hobby Search, or any of the usual shops. You'll have to use a proxy that usually requires payment up-front [Big in Japan, Mio Boutique, etc.]. Nippon-Yasan should have her too, and they don't require payment until a few weeks prior to release.

However, more bad news. Since she's an exclusive you won't be getting a store discount, ¥14286 will be what you're paying. Actually, you'll be paying more in addition to that since proxies like to add in extra cost for their troubles and such [which is understandable, considering they need to make money too]. So she'll probably be around ¥15500-¥16000 when the dust has settled, which is close to the price I paid for Sailing Again Franky [One Piece], and given his size and what items he comes with, it makes the price for Labrys look even more insane.

My advice? Wait for Alter's Labrys. Their quality will almost definitely be better, be priced a lot cheaper, and more easily available. I'm really not sure what Megahouse is thinking with this one.

If, for whatever reason, you are still interested given all of the above information, pre-orders open on August 9th.

The pose is pretty awesome though, especially when compared to Alter's. The detail, painting, and sculpt on Megahouse's is really well done. Megahouse produces some really good figurines. Alter's could be better, but I don't think it's fair to assume that Alter's will be better without seeing their finished painted prototype. I'd be more inclined to complain about the price if it looked like garbage, but it looks really really good. What's really going to suck is that we probably won't see any new info about Alter's until well after the pre-order period ends for Megahouse's.

johnsmith

remember me
Look at Megahouse's Yukiko and Alter's Yukiko. Or Megahouse's Rise vs Wave's Rise. Megahouse loses both times. And their Yu is really bad too. Megahouse just has an awful track record with Persona figures.

I'm hoping against hope that they'll finally fix things with Chie, but I'm bracing for the worst.

eucharis

Thanks!
That's kind of what I'd love to do in the future. At present if I work hard enough I'd hopefully be good enough to do zbrush sculpts of characters and print them in 3D. But there's just something about working with real clay that really attracts me. I'll be moving house soon, so I'm gonna try to get a little workshop area and start sometime. Keep going, it looks like loads of fun :D

OHH! Did you see Danny Choo's little article about how he used a 3d printer to print out his Miria doll? Yeah I think zbrush and 3d printers is the new way of claywork (like what danny Choo said if you want your figure to be 20% bigger you can press a few buttons in your computer and then print it out but with sculpting it would take months to do the same). Yeah I know what you mean but I really wan to jump on 3d printers. Ahh lucky you!

It really is coming along great!

Just a quick question though, do you not have an armature in there yet? Or am I just not seeing it stick out for the base? I know that some people work that way and it gives you a little bit of flexibility in terms of what angles you can work at, but I've never been brave enough to do it.

Since we're sharing here's a picture of a Sgt. Frog set I made a while back:
tumblr_lymkhnCpqh1qkvyy6o1_500.jpg

Ohh wow I thought that was legit merchandise! great job :DD Are you making more stuff? Nah I've tried adding armatures before but I like to carve a lot and they get in the way. This one I made the legs arms and torso separately to get it exactly alike to the picture and then I added all the pieces together but it didn't look quiet right. I won't do that again.

chrono01

The pose is pretty awesome though, especially when compared to Alter's. The detail, painting, and sculpt on Megahouse's is really well done. Megahouse produces some really good figurines. Alter's could be better, but I don't think it's fair to assume that Alter's will be better without seeing their finished painted prototype. I'd be more inclined to complain about the price if it looked like garbage, but it looks really really good. What's really going to suck is that we probably won't see any new info about Alter's until well after the pre-order period ends for Megahouse's.
Alter is pretty much considered to be the best figure manufacturer. Their attention to detail and overall quality control is impressive. I own many...many Alter figures, and every one of them is painted immaculately. I own a few Megahouse figures as well [namely those from One Piece], and while they are great, Alter is simply on another level. That doesn't make Megahouse bad, though.

While the painted prototype from Megahouse does look nice, there's no guarantee that the same love/care will go into every produced model. Paint defects/inconsistencies/etc. aren't exactly a rarity when it comes to figures, however Alter and a few of the other "high-end" manufacturers [such as Max Factory] handle it a lot better than others. I think it might be the level of their quality-control and making sure nothing leaves the production line unless it's as close to perfect as it can be. That's why I'm willing to put more faith personally into the Labrys being released from Alter, despite not even seeing a painted prototype yet. They have a tendency to delay their figures [...A LOT...], but when they release something you can generally feel pretty confident that it was well worth the wait.

I will agree with you on the pose, though. The release from Megahouse is definitely a lot more dynamic, although she's still not worth anywhere near the asking price for her [in my personal opinion]. To those interested, you are completely entitled to your purchase. Do not let my opinion dissuade you!

Busaiku

Ugh, trying to assemble my Len from Good Smile got it damaged with the paint from his guitar.
And then I found out that it's detachable...

I'm thinking of ordering another...

chrono01

Ugh, trying to assemble my Len from Good Smile got it damaged with the paint from his guitar.
And then I found out that it's detachable...

I'm thinking of ordering another...
Sorry. :(

Well, the cheaper price for him will definitely help if you're going to order another. How bad is the damage, though? Is it something that could be easily repaired? If it's simply paint transfer, try one of those Magic Erasers [lightly]. I heard they can help [never tried it myself, though].

Ohh wow I thought that was legit merchandise! great job :DD Are you making more stuff? Nah I've tried adding armatures before but I like to carve a lot and they get in the way. This one I made the legs arms and torso separately to get it exactly alike to the picture and then I added all the pieces together but it didn't look quiet right. I won't do that again.
Aw thanks.

I've never used straight polymer clay, but as you probably know, sculpy will warp and explode if it gets too thick, so the way around that is to have aluminum in the center, but that turns it into a floppy mess because it'll be so lightweight. A wire armature skeleton helps to keep the statue in one pose, forces you to stick to your proportions, and keeps everything from falling apart while you work on it. As a bonus, having it stick out of the foot makes it easier to mount on a base.

You seem to be doing more than fine without it though! Having it modular makes it super easy to sand. I know of some people who fire it all separately, then use a filling putty to round out the "joints." It makes it easier to paint that way, too, particularly around the hair.

I'm excited to see it when it's painted!

Here's some more pictures of my amateur projects just for the sake of it.
f74589e2-0f44-4436-8014-d505775f423a_zps52baf84c.jpg

Cookie and Cream! The world's most obscure PS2 game.

d1522be9-d01b-4be1-9675-12b594b2c589_zps3e2fb04d.jpg

A friend's original robot character.

c3cc6ea8-f8fc-46cc-8439-5e256a9e7fee_zps91e8600f.jpg

A space cat for a mixed media comic book I'm doing.

222031c2-8944-4eb9-9ad8-fa25c3ef2333_zps57187d4b.jpg

A giant hand used for closeups!

A terrible time to post these in this thread, buried amongst the super slick Wonder Fest pictures.

Anyway, I hope you keep posting progress shots of yours!

Busaiku

The arm/shirt has some black on it.
It's not too bad, but it's the kind of thing that seriously bugs me.

Would the Magic Eraser not damage the skin/shirt paint?

chrono01

The arm/shirt has some black on it.
It's not too bad, but it's the kind of thing that seriously bugs me.

Would the Magic Eraser not damage the skin/shirt paint?
It would have to be applied to very carefully and do-so lightly over the affected areas. As I said, I haven't tried it out myself, but I have heard stories of people successfully removing the paint transfer from their figures and making it "good as new".

If you're seriously debating getting another, I'd definitely try the eraser beforehand. Although, given how cheap he is [especially if you can combine him with another order], it might be better off just buying a completely new one. I'm not sure how much those erasers cost if you don't already have one laying around.

Arveene

Neo Member
Alter is pretty much considered to be the best figure manufacturer. Their attention to detail and overall quality control is impressive. I own many...many Alter figures, and every one of them is painted immaculately. I own a few Megahouse figures as well [namely those from One Piece], and while they are great, Alter is simply on another level. That doesn't make Megahouse bad, though.

While the painted prototype from Megahouse does look nice, there's no guarantee that the same love/care will go into every produced model. Paint defects/inconsistencies/etc. aren't exactly a rarity when it comes to figures, however Alter and a few of the other "high-end" manufacturers [such as Max Factory] handle it a lot better than others. I think it might be the level of their quality-control and making sure nothing leaves the production line unless it's as close to perfect as it can be. That's why I'm willing to put more faith personally into the Labrys being released from Alter, despite not even seeing a painted prototype yet. They have a tendency to delay their figures [...A LOT...], but when they release something you can generally feel pretty confident that it was well worth the wait.

I will agree with you on the pose, though. The release from Megahouse is definitely a lot more dynamic, although she's still not worth anywhere near the asking price for her [in my personal opinion]. To those interested, you are completely entitled to your purchase. Do not let my opinion dissuade you!

Agreed. Alter is definitely at the top and have the track record to prove it. I don't doubt that Alter's will be good. I guess it's a question of whether or not the pose is worth it, and the price is quite high for that. If one were a huge fan of Labrys, it might be worth going for the more dynamic pose. I don't know yet, I do really like the pose.

It would have to be applied to very carefully and do-so lightly over the affected areas. As I said, I haven't tried it out myself, but I have heard stories of people successfully removing the paint transfer from their figures and making it "good as new".

If you're seriously debating getting another, I'd definitely try the eraser beforehand. Although, given how cheap he is [especially if you can combine him with another order], it might be better off just buying a completely new one. I'm not sure how much those erasers cost if you don't already have one laying around.

I've read this works as well. I think the key is to only use it on the affected areas. Might be able to find some good before and after pics of someone who has done this if you look around MFC. Most stores near me have them for about $2 USD so if it works, it saves you from having to buy a new one. If it doesn't, it's not too much of a loss.

OHH! Did you see Danny Choo's little article about how he used a 3d printer to print out his Miria doll? Yeah I think zbrush and 3d printers is the new way of claywork (like what danny Choo said if you want your figure to be 20% bigger you can press a few buttons in your computer and then print it out but with sculpting it would take months to do the same). Yeah I know what you mean but I really wan to jump on 3d printers. Ahh lucky you!

I did! Yeah, i'm a huge fan of Danny Choo. Especially since he originally grew up in Hackney which is where I'm from! Totally inspirational guy. I missed out on a chance to meet him when I was out in Japan :(
I hope to one day afford to get a 3D Printer though, so one day I can do figure requests perhaps :p
I'll definitely ask you for any sculpting advice though, thanks :)

Thanks dude, Lisa Lisa is way too expensive for her scale :(

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Alter's got my business. I think they're a much better company anyway.

Since she's an exclusive you won't be getting a store discount, ¥14286 will be what you're paying.

Actually, I won't be paying that at all. :D

It's hilarious that I've been waiting for this thing forever, and then Alter shows up at the last second with a better sculpt.

Look at Megahouse's Yukiko and Alter's Yukiko. Or Megahouse's Rise vs Wave's Rise. Megahouse loses both times. And their Yu is really bad too. Megahouse just has an awful track record with Persona figures.

I'm hoping against hope that they'll finally fix things with Chie, but I'm bracing for the worst.

I think the One Piece line is the only thing they do a decent job with. Even the Bleach figures from a few years back were nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom