• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT2| NSFWallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

What do you guys think?

Good work!

I'll be honest though, at first sight I'm not really a huge fan of the interaction between the base and Nonon herself as my direction of focus is getting tugged in so many ways. The base is shooting my eyes off to the right, Nonon's legs are pointing me off to the left, and then from the waist up she's pointing off at the viewer; at least in that image it's a little unbalanced and unfocused?

Ken

I think its safe to assume that the market is in dire need for Nonon figures. Dabookerman pls.

it's safe to assume the universe is in dire need of nonon anything

--------

when you pay for orders on amiami, can you change or choose the shipping then or are you stuck with what you choose at the time of ordering?

when you pay for orders on amiami, can you change or choose the shipping then or are you stuck with what you choose at the time of ordering?

You can edit it when they email you to request payment. You also have a final chance to edit it when you're submitting payment... All shipping options and prices will be displayed at check out.

Aerocrane

Change before you pay, there should be an option for modifying orders on the website. They give you a few days to pay.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
it's safe to assume the universe is in dire need of nonon anything

--------

I got a bill a few week ago and it let me choose again with prices on it.

Ken

Change before you pay, there should be an option for modifying orders on the website. They give you a few days to pay.

I got a bill a few week ago and it let me choose again with prices on it.

You can edit it when they email you to request payment. You also have a final chance to edit it when you're submitting payment... All shipping options and prices will be displayed at check out.

Thanks guys. I just realized I'll be gone for a bit in June and since Kirigiri is releasing that month, I wanted to make sure I could work around my absence.

Its in regards to both her blogs and comment. Its in that page that I saw you reply to in regards to figure price increase.

She makes it seem like figures are special when it comes to price increase and makes the claim that other things like gaming and tv have gotten cheaper.

She fails to realize gaming hasn't gotten cheaper but quite the opposite. And that TVs price are always in a cycle of New tech $15k prices ->1- 2 years later price drop to 3-5k -> new tech 10-15k prices again.

edit
Its also her attitude. You can see it all the time. She basically talks down about things she doesn't like and the people that like them. And when confronted its "my site, my rules"

Its in regards to both her blogs and comment. Its in that page that I saw you reply to in regards to figure price increase.

Yeah, I saw her having a back and forth with someone. I didn't read it. Just went in to post my feelings on the issue, then I bailed.

Not sure what she did but she just convinced me that I need Mara Jade in my life.

I could have told you that. She's a beauty.

johnsmith

remember me
Leah's right this time. Prices have been going up to a ridiculous degree, and my preorders are going down because of it. I have less now than I have at any time since i started collecting. Add to that the bomba price drops for the majority of figures after release, and it's going to end up to where I'll only buy stuff from clearance sales or preowned.

kewlmyc

Leah's right this time. Prices have been going up to a ridiculous degree, and my preorders are going down because of it. I have less now than I have at any time since i started collecting. Add to that the bomba price drops for the majority of figures after release, and it's going to end up to where I'll only buy stuff from clearance sales or preowned.

I want to do this, but I get paranoid thinking that it might go up in price afterward. I'll probably start doing this next year though once the figures I really want are already released. Raidou going all the way down to $50 a month after release was a huge slap in the face last weekend.

Nobody is arguing that prices have gone up. But the issue I have i that she claims other things have gone down in price which is not true at all. That bag of Lay's chip is less than what you paid for a few years back. Same goes for gaming, electronic and etc etc. I can't name a single field where prices have gone down for new/relevant goods.

IMO these are some of the factors that led to price increases in figures and why they jumped in so high.

1) License are getting more expensive. I have no proof of this but there are things that do point to this. (kancolle, madoka, etc etc)

2) small competition. Whenever you have a small competition, prices will tend to go up

3) China is no longer a super cheap place to make goods. The rise of the middle class and workers in general increase the cost of goods made. I work for the wholesale export company and I can tell you this is happening for a fact.

4) Niche market and the rise of cost. While anime figures being niche isn't anything new, the rise in production could lead into a situation where the companies feel like they need to maintain their revenue by increasing the cost knowing that their demographic is niche and tends to be loyal fans. But a combination of #2 and #3 create a situation where prices go up, fans feel disgruntle and buy less (or quit), and in return companies have to raise prices again to make up that loss in revenue

Against this is all opinion. I highly doubt figures are the exception when it comes to price increases.

I want to do this, but I get paranoid thinking that it might go up in price afterward. I'll probably start doing this next year though once the figures I really want are already released. Raidou going all the way down to $50 a month after release was a huge slap in the face last weekend.
But it was kind of expected. Look at MFC preorder numbers. They were never high. Then remember the character is a male. So on top of an already niche series, you have a male character. I mean shit, Kiritsugu (sp?) from fate/zero made by Max Factory is like 35-40 bucks and thats relatively new (1-2 years old). And there is almost nothing wrong with the figure.

Factors for an increase in aftermarket figures is basically
1) is it from alter, orchid seed, gsc and co and other big companies
2) is the source popular
3) does the figure have a ton of preorders
4) is it exclusive

The big exception was ultimate madoka, but thats really due to overproduction and mass cancellation of orders due to shipping cost (nobody expected a 70 dollar EMS shipping on one figure back then). Homura I feel will not fall in the same path. She is 1) exclusive and 2) shipping cost is upfront to the US (via rightstuf) and 3) shipping prices are already expected to be high due to ultimate madoka setting the precedence.

johnsmith

remember me
I can't think of anything else that's gone up in price as fast as figures. They have far outpaced inflation, that's for sure. Games have been $60 for almost a decade and fall in price faster than ever after release. HD ports are being released for $40 for multiple games, and that's definitely cheaper than the originals were.

I can't think of anything else that's gone up in price as fast as figures. They have far outpaced inflation, that's for sure.

I think its just anime goods in general and how the market is. I mean just look at BD of anime in Japan. They have to rely on high prices to sustain themselves. I think the difference with figures is that all these factors are finally kicking in.

johnsmith

remember me
I think its just anime goods in general and how the market is. I mean just look at BD of anime in Japan. They have to rely on high prices to sustain themselves. I think the difference with figures is that all these factors are finally kicking in.

There's going to be a crash and lots of companies are going out of business. Too many people are going to be priced out of the hobby, and they're releasing too much stuff. I'll pay high prices for things that are worth it, but these masterpieces are few and far between.

I'm even done preordering Max Faxtory stuff. Tharja, 2020 Miku, Kamael, none of them sold out.

There's going to be a crash and lots of companies are going out of business. Too many people are going to be priced out of the hobby, and they're releasing too much stuff. I'll pay high prices for things that are worth it, but these masterpieces are few and far between.

I'm even done preordering Max Faxtory stuff. Tharja, 2020 Miku, Kamael, none of them sold out.

err kamael was sold out.

I think alter still sells out on their big figures.

It's going to be companies that no one is going to miss, though. GSC, Alter, Kotobukiya and Max Factory are all going to be just dandy.

kewlmyc

But it was kind of expected. Look at MFC preorder numbers. They were never high. Then remember the character is a male. So on top of an already niche series, you have a male character. I mean shit, Kiritsugu (sp?) from fate/zero made by Max Factory is like 35-40 bucks and thats relatively new (1-2 years old). And there is almost nothing wrong with the figure.

Factors for an increase in aftermarket figures is basically
1) is it from alter, orchid seed, gsc and co and other big companies
2) is the source popular
3) does the figure have a ton of preorders
4) is it exclusive

The big exception was ultimate madoka, but thats really due to overproduction and mass cancellation of orders due to shipping cost (nobody expected a 70 dollar EMS shipping on one figure back then). Homura I feel will not fall in the same path. She is 1) exclusive and 2) shipping cost is upfront to the US (via rightstuf) and 3) shipping prices are already expected to be high due to ultimate madoka setting the precedence.

I guess I'm still confused as to how figure preorders work. My mind thinks that if a figure isn't really popular, then they'll just make a little bit over enough to fulfill preorders and that's it.

I guess I'm still confused as to how figure preorders work. My mind thinks that if a figure isn't really popular, then they'll just make a little bit over enough to fulfill preorders and that's it.

This is my understanding of how it works.

The company first gauges interest. From there they expect a certain number to be sold. Then they allocate those numbers and divide them to retailers. Retailers then open preorders to have consumers lock in the allocated orders.

Guess more came in stock last night. Though, it reminds me of the Tsukihi figure from GSC. She was sold out for a few days then came back. I think she is still up as well.
edit
yep she is. But her sister is long sold out. weird

kewlmyc

This is my understanding of how it works.

The company first gauges interest. From there they expect a certain number to be sold. Then they allocate those numbers and divide them to retailers. Retailers then open preorders to have consumers lock in the allocated orders.

Guess more came in stock last night. Though, it reminds me of the Tsukihi figure from GSC. She was sold out for a few days then came back. I think she is still up as well.
edit

I'm still unsure. Stuff like Megahouse's Morgiana are already sold out after being on the market for a week.

Though figures like Plum's Mushibugyo and H" Kat probably don't require preorders.

edit

There certainly seems to be something more than prices shifting in the industry. Whether it's fan interest or what, I can't say. But we're seeing fewer and fewer figures hit sold-out status all the time. When Karen Araragi came out, figures were still selling out pretty regularly, but even the more popular pieces aren't selling out anymore.

kewlmyc

There certainly seems to be something more than prices shifting in the industry. Whether it's fan interest or what, I can't say. But we're seeing fewer and fewer figures hit sold-out status all the time. When Karen Araragi came out, figures were still selling out pretty regularly, but even the more popular pieces aren't selling out anymore.

I know you've cancelled your fair share of items. How many have you canceled at once and AmiAmi's been okay with it?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Nearly all Ques Q Touhou figures raise in price after market.

Just look at this beauty.

RRSX1392003387.jpeg

whats funny is that both Karen and Tsukihi are not even available on mandarake. Apparently the people that do buy tsukihi don't want to sell it back lol.

edit
Now that I think about it...Kamael is available but not any of the dark elfs and they had 2 versions

I canceled 8 orders and somehow they decided to still let me keep it if that's something of note

Yeah, I've done that as well, although I think I once did more around 10. They must have some formula for cancelled items vs. actual purchases to determine whether you're worth keeping around. I'd be totally willing to pay a few hundred yen more per item for an easy cancellation system.

javac

Here's what came so far. Stocking should be here tomorrow but tomorrow belongs to Mario Kart.

My first Nendoroid. I was confused by the stand until it just went straight for her head and I realized it was magnetic lol.

Good work!

I'll be honest though, at first sight I'm not really a huge fan of the interaction between the base and Nonon herself as my direction of focus is getting tugged in so many ways. The base is shooting my eyes off to the right, Nonon's legs are pointing me off to the left, and then from the waist up she's pointing off at the viewer; at least in that image it's a little unbalanced and unfocused?

Thanks for the honest critique dude. Very much appreciated :)

Yeah, that music sheet base would definitely not support the weight of the rest of the figure for one thing, so it'd need another base underneath. I basically came up with that idea in all of about 5 minutes, so it wasn't the most thought out of ideas, but the basic plan was to have Nonon somehow being propelled up by music, or something... I'm gonna be taking a course soon that goes through the fundamentals of art, which includes composition etc. I'm still pretty much a beginner with this haha.

Yeah, they have, and they will in such a niche market still. For me, as long as the quality of the production figures are as good as they can be, I'm ok with that. But shit like what Medicom pulled with Link, I don't tolerate.

I'd be worried once the value of figures seriously start to drop, because one advantage is that it is almost like an investment.

george_us

Here's what came so far. Stocking should be here tomorrow but tomorrow belongs to Mario Kart.
Excellent choice in buying MF Samus.

Speaking of cancellations, it's looking more and more like Alt. Color Asmodeus is getting the axe. I'd rather have a couple of Bishoujos for that price in all honesty. Wing Muramasa figure may be on the chopping block as well. Don't feel like I have to have her, not right away.

Luigi87

The following post is not for the squeamish
not really... probably...

Well preparation work is done on my custom... Art stuff comes next!

I printed a roughly scaled blueprint out for Irelia's weapon. Originally I tried free-hand cutting glued together Popsicle sticks to shape, to act as the skeleton that I'd sculpt on top of, but that went horribly. Just horribly. Then I realized, it's 2014... I have a computer... I'm good at Photoshop... WTF am I doing not making a blueprint to sculpt on?

Removing Wonder Woman's hair was a pain... had to boil the figure and repeatedly pull it off/do some cuts to get it to separate.

I'm going to use a pair of my unused KOS-MOS figma hands. The ones that came with DC Unlimited Wonder Woman are just garbage tier, and while I hate sacrificing a part of my KOS-MOS figma, these hands have been sitting in a bag for years, so I may as well use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom