• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaiff needs Gaf to buy a TV for the PS5 Pro

ap_puff

This is a great advice, Gaiff. But don’t listen to the 65” part.
Cant See Ken Jeong GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨
It really depends on how far you sit from the TV, personally if the expense is an issue I'd just sit closer. Ofc if it's a TV for the living room then the size is going to be a better bet

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Got a 65" A95L earlier this year and omg it pisses over everything. Viewing decent 4K stuff it's unrivalled, same with upscaling lower quality stuff. Please ignore the ridiculous way supposed experts like John 'Three Chins' Linneman off DF obsesses over LG. The fool bought a 77" G4 and it's not even close to the A95L in anything except the extra HDMI 2.1 sockets. The image quality and processing is miles away.

Get yourself an A95L. And if you can't afford it, save up until you can.
I can, but the 65" is twice the price of the S90D of the same size. Is it that much better? If it gets a huge discount for Black Friday, I could maybe go with that one.

RTINGS ranks the S90C above everything else for gaming.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming
For me, the model number was listed on the retailers website. I assume it's the same for your retailer, maybe you could post the link here and I could check?
Yeah, the model number is on the website. I can use that.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

RTINGS ranks the S90C above everything else for gaming.
RTINGS are idiots sometimes. Only the 77” S9XC guarantees the second generation QD-OLED panels. So buying a 65” of that model is a lotery. And they put them above the S95C in case you exceed the bandwidth of the one connect box with a super high end PC. But if you have that kind of PC you’re not saving buying Samsung, aren’t you? So if this is the best for gaming the best for a PS5 Pro is no doubt the S95C. Only it’s not because it’s just not a Sony high end. But those are expensive. My broke ass only could afford a 65” S95C it’s still miles better than the S9XC and personally I find the anti-glaring coat on the S95D a downgrade (see HDTV Test for that opinion). Also that’s 2023 decisions which I took one year prior today. Now there are massive nit producing Mini LEDs from Sony and TSC that dwarfs the gains in nits made by the OLEDs. And yes, the Sony is expensive but the TCL not so much.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Make sure to get your TV at Costco. 90 return policy. Two year standard warranty. Extended warranties dirt cheep like $100-150 for 3-4 extra years. If something fucks up, they send a repair guy to pick it up and drop it off back to your house.

Haved used the warranty twice. The last time was during covid era and they couldnt fix it. So Costco sent me a brand new similar quality TV. Replacement has been perfect.

If the TV goes on sales during the 90 days, they'll refund you the difference (did it myself). They didnt even bother crediting my credit card. The guy at counter just peeled it out in cash. The only caveat was the guy said you can only do one price adjustment. So if it got even cheaper I cant do it.

Last edited:

demigod

So you have two screens in your living room? And you act like that’s completely normal and no biggie?

99.9% of people wouldn’t have that, I know I wouldn’t. Hell, I like my single screen to be as discreet as possible.
Dumbest shit i’ve ever heard. But then again, its rodrigo so not all surprised.

Zathalus

OLED is great, I have a 32:9 Samsung G9 for my office, as well as a S95C for the bedroom. My living room can get quite a lot of sun in the summer, so I went with a Bravia 9 85 this year. Absolute fantastic TV, blacks are near OLED, brightness is next level, and blooming is almost not noticeable. Plus it has all the other advantages of a Sony TV.

Try seeing one in person if you can, it could be a good alternative to OLED depending on your use case.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So you have two screens in your living room? And you act like that’s completely normal and no biggie?

99.9% of people wouldn’t have that, I know I wouldn’t. Hell, I like my single screen to be as discreet as possible.
Those people and your loss. I would have more if I could. Imagine wanting a screen to be discreet. The bigger the better. Use a phone as TV in your room then. very discreet.

Dumbest shit i’ve ever heard. But then again, its rodrigo so not all surprised.
You must love playing in your 10"- screen in your living room. Not dumb.

Last edited:

Astray

Higher brightness is better obviously but both QD-Oled and MLA have this amazing flaw to almost no one talks about (timestamped):

You need to be in the pure dark room to see true black (any amount of light will lift it), this is ridiculous - one of the biggest OLED advantages is gone. Standard WOLED for life!

Samsung QD-OLEDs have an excellent light matte coating that delivers the best of both worlds imo.

I had a larger TV, but when playing certain games, I noticed that I had to physically move my head to see objects on the corners. It's really became apparent when playing Street Fighter 6 and I couldn't see the health bars during a fight without looking up. It was out of my peripheral vision. I went a size down when I got my current TV.

Last edited:

Tsaki

LG B3 and save the rest of the $1500. Maybe you'd want to go up in the LG models with the C and G tiers but you'd hitting diminishing returns.

midnightAI

I’m currently rocking a fucking Hisense …

Screw You Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
Cant beat them on price for the TV you get, got a 65 Inch QLED from them (Hisense 65E77KQTUK) not bad for £500 (sound quality aint bad also but got a Soundbar to improve that, but for just £130 more I should maybe have got the E7 Pro, which is 144hz (that isnt a smart TV though, but purely for gaming that would have been the better option)

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I haven't looked at TVs in perhaps 8 years. The last time I actively shopped for one was when I got my PS4 Pro. Now I'm fittingly enough shopping for one for the upcoming PS5 Pro. The old Samsung I got is 4K but only 60Hz and from the year 2016. I need something better. Also, it's dead, so there's that.

It'll be primarily for gaming with movies as a secondary use. Maybe I'll hook up my rig to it but probably not since my monitor is good enough for that.

Budget? Not sure yet. List a bunch of TVs you guys recommend and I'll see if the price makes sense for me. Ideally, below $2500. As for size, 55" and above. Last I checked, OLED were the kings of TVs but I heard other types really caught up and they're no longer the undisputed champs

- $2500 budget (unless it's a can't-miss TV that costs $10K but goes on sale for $3K)
- 55"+ (ideally 60 or above)
- Primarily for console gaming but also a bit for movies
- Don't need the latest model. In fact, I hear it's good to buy one right when new models are introduced because the older ones get a significant price cut
- Probably doesn't matter but I also have an Xbox One X, a PS3, a PS4 Pro, and a Switch, so something that plays nice with them too at 30Hz and I heard OLED is awful there
- I have the Alienware AW3423DWF for my PC so no need for another monitor

Thanks, bros.
Get an LG OLED. HDMI 2.1, all the gaming bells and whistles, 120fps, VRR, all of it. Best tv’s on the market.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So much wrong in this thread it makes my head hurt. If you're gaming, you want a Samsung S95C...and that specifically is any scenario where you're matching it up against an LG C3 or C4.

Don't believe me? Fine. Here's RTINGS.com

The Samsung S95C OLED and LG C4 OLED are evenly matched. The Samsung is slightly brighter in HDR and is the more colorful of the two, leading to a slightly punchier HDR presentation. However, the LG does support Dolby Vision and passes through DTS audio formats, so movie purists who still prefer to watch content from physical media might prefer it over the Samsung TV. The LG is also superior for watching content from streaming apps due to its far superior low-quality content smoothing, so low-bitrate content is mostly free from compression artifacts. For gamers, however, the Samsung doesn't lose any HDR brightness in Game Mode, while the LG is significantly dimmer, so the Samsung is the superior gaming TV. Finally, the Samsung is the better choice for a wide seating arrangement due to its superior viewing angle.

I honestly can't believe anyone is recommending anything other than QD-OLED.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
I upgraded to a 77" OLED B3 and put the 65" C9 in the bedroom. Still recommend LG OLEDs for the definitive experience, but you gotta tweak them right in calibration. Recommend FILMMAKER mode for this.

Maybe once MicroLED is affordable in the market, we can see where TVs will really go in the future.

Radical_3d

I had a larger TV, but when playing certain games, I noticed that I had to physically move my head to see objects on the corners. It's really became apparent when playing Street Fighter 6 and I couldn't see the health bars during a fight without looking up. It was out of my peripheral vision. I went a size down when I got my current TV.
If you don’t end with a stiff neck after every gaming session you’ve pick the wrong size.
I honestly can't believe anyone is recommending anything other than QD-OLED.
I love my S95C. I moded it to have 2.100 nits. But that’s so 2023. This year the shit is in the Mini LEDs.

Top Bottom