• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalDeer

I got my first Nendoroid a few days ago!
PjLcrSh.jpg
I'm slightly disappointed with the accessories (she only comes with some arms/faces and a couple other things), but it's still adorable and that's all I really care about.

I really want the Kotobukiya Maou, but it's a little bit out of my budget right now. Maybe some day. I guess I wouldn't have anywhere to display her, anyways.

cajunator

Banned

I'm slightly disappointed with the accessories (she only comes with some arms/faces and a couple other things), but it's still adorable and that's all I really care about.

I really want the Kotobukiya Maou, but it's a little bit out of my budget right now. Maybe some day. I guess I wouldn't have anywhere to display her, anyways.

WAAAAAAH SO CUTE *pokes it

The Kotobukiya Maou is very large and heavy and totally worth it

Giolon

Maou-sama! That nendo is super adorable! I managed to get a good deal on Kotobukiya's Maou a little over six months ago from somebody on MFC. I still love the photo shoot I was able to do of her outdoors.

There's one in-stock on Mandarake atm for 4500 yen ($37): http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1713113.html
Be warned that she's EMS-only b/c she's heavy and will probably be another 4000 yen in shipping.

cajunator

Banned

MetalDeer

WAAAAAAH SO CUTE *pokes it

The Kotobukiya Maou is very large and heavy and totally worth it

Yeah, it certainly looks it. Very pretty, though.

I don't even have space that I feel comfortable with displaying a figma, so I have no idea what I'd do with that, at the moment. It'd be a shame just to have her sit in the box until I find room.

Edit: @Giolon Thanks for the heads up, but unfortunately I don't have a cent to spare right now. Hopefully some day, though! And I believe I saw those pictures a while back, very nice!

Bombless

The Yuusha body pillow is the only accessory Maou-sama needs!

MetalDeer

The Yuusha body pillow is the only accessory Maou-sama needs!

Pft, that was a nice little addition, but I couldn't find a way to properly pose her with it. The extra dress part is pretty cute as well, but I had issues with that, too. I guess I just suck at posing things.

cajunator

Banned
That new anime store that just opened here has an enormous amount of these POP things on sale. Owner says they move very quickly and are very popular.

anyone mind telling me the appeal of these POP figurethings i see all over the place?

Because Americans haven't discovered the vast quality difference of import figures. Though some of them are cool, the vast majority are pretty meh. And the QC on the painting is pretty non-existant. Funko is just shitting these things out, giving every retailer you can name some sort of exclusive variant. Even Walgreens of all places has exclusives.

That said, they're pretty varied.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Because Americans haven't discovered the vast quality difference of import figures. Though some of them are cool, the vast majority are pretty meh. And the QC on the painting is pretty non-existant. Funko is just shitting these things out, giving every retailer you can name some sort of exclusive variant. Even Walgreens of all places has exclusives.

That said, they're pretty varied.

ok Stitch is badass. Cthulhu is decent as well

Yaari

Wonder how bad warmth is in the summer. It's not direct sunlight in the attic, but it can get pretty hot up there. Considering moving my collection so I can stop using the "no space" excuse when I see something nice.

I can't stand Pops, they just seem so generic to me, but I can see why a lot of people like them. Either way, to each their own.

Very nice pics! If you threw a rim light in there I think she'd look even more spectacular.

Love it! Isn't that a great figure of Satsuki? Those sculpt details are amazing.

For the curious, here's a peak behind the curtain at the basic photo setup I used for my last couple indoor photoshoots (with Jubilee as a stand in):

As I told omlet, my setup is a classic Rembrandt setup: 1 light in a softbox, 1 reflector (also doubles as another softbox) and 1 backlight/rimlight in a softbox. The lights are just cheap desk lamps w/ Daylight White LED bulbs in them. Does this ruin the magic? lol

Man I bet your pictures turn out amazing. I don't have the money to buy a nice DSLR camera, so I just use my iPhone and try to get some good lighting when enough sunlight is shining through my window.

SerTapTap

The eyes and heads kill Pops for me, I might get the Borderlands ones though. I wish they had competition, I wouldn't mind their existence if they weren't the go-to figures for every Western franchise. Those Guardians of the Galaxy/deadpool ones look great though, they need to make more like that. I assume those are vastly more expensive than the normal ones though? The non-standard ones look fine, the "big head no face black eyes" look like the Miku is pretty bleh though. The Borderlands ones look alright IMO, at least the Psycho and Claptrap

omlet

Sayaka/Kyoko maikos ordered together. I regret NOTHING.

http://biginjap.com/en/pvc-figures/...gica-miki-sayaka-sakura-kyouko-maiko-ver.html

Singles: 15k yen
Together: 29k yen

Thank you Anplex+ and your generous prices.

will wait for rightstuf and get it cheaper

Yeah, there's no rush to preorder them right now. I already did the math so I'm waiting to see what Rightstuf wants for them before deciding where to PO. Expecting TRSI to have them for comparable or better price (depending on whether or not the yen gets stronger any time soon).

Edit: Getting them via Tenso without the NY/BiJ markup might be a better price, but we'll have to wait a few days to get an idea.

Chance

anyone mind telling me the appeal of these POP figurethings i see all over the place?

Funko Pops are $12-$20 (for the crazy ones), and they're incredibly prolific. If there is any - any - even somewhat-popular western IP, there will usually be a Funko Pop series for it. Now, there are some I'm sure who just love the designs of them (I love a nicely deformed riff on a popular character, myself), and for others, the Funko Pop line permits you to collect display figures for characters you don't anticipate will ever get a better fig. Given that the style, size and quality of the Funkos are consistent across the line, you can put together a fine little collection for your property of choice at a very reasonable price.

For example, last night, I finally ordered my holy grail - the Alter Selvaria Bles.

dxO5QQQ.jpg

Yay! Pricy as hell!

For less than half of her cost - for about the launch cost of any high-end scaled fig, in fact - the GF and I have been able to put together a display of the entire Adventure Time main cast in vinyl form:

h4rmMtg.jpg

And I suspect no one needs to explain the appeal of that.

Bombless

Funko Pops are $12-$20 (for the crazy ones), and they're incredibly prolific. If there is any - any - even somewhat-popular western IP, there will usually be a Funko Pop series for it. Now, there are some I'm sure who just love the designs of them (I love a nicely deformed riff on a popular character, myself), and for others, the Funko Pop line permits you to collect display figures for characters you don't anticipate will ever get a better fig. Given that the style, size and quality of the Funkos are consistent across the line, you can put together a fine little collection for your property of choice at a very reasonable price.

For example, last night, I finally ordered my holy grail - the Alter Selvaria Bles.

dxO5QQQ.jpg

Yay! Pricy as hell!

For less than half of her cost - for about the launch cost of any high-end scaled fig, in fact - the GF and I have been able to put together a display of the entire Adventure Time main cast in vinyl form:

h4rmMtg.jpg

And I suspect no one needs to explain the appeal of that.

Dat Selvaria. Congrats to you and condolences to your wallet.

Chance

Dat Selvaria. Congrats to you and condolences to your wallet.

It was the classic collector internal debate:

It's so damned expensive.

Is she on the List of Figures You'll Definitely Get?

Yes.

So you'll definitely get her one day?

Yes.

And the price will just go up, the longer you wait, right?

Yes.

So the cheapest you'll probably ever get her at is this price, right now.

Yes.

So the best time to buy her is at this precise moment.

Yes.

(Click.)

tumblr_ls04uzIryo1qcn7d7.gif

Yaari

Yeah, there's no rush to preorder them right now. I already did the math so I'm waiting to see what Rightstuf wants for them before deciding where to PO. Expecting TRSI to have them for comparable or better price (depending on whether or not the yen gets stronger any time soon).

Edit: Getting them via Tenso without the NY/BiJ markup might be a better price, but we'll have to wait a few days to get an idea.

I'm probably going NY, then getting them through their France shipping. A big package like that, I can be sure to get custom charges.

Really wonder if NY will also have a Mami available after launch. After all, I think I got my Homura that way from them.

for me it's just that i am not a big fan of the chibi style art and pops are just different enough that they don't seem chibi to me. same reason i never got around to playing that copy of bravely default that i accidentally bought.

anywho, anyone know where i can get the samurai darth vader at a decent price? cheapest i've seen is here but i don't know if i am ready to drop that kind of cash on a figure. haven't spent that much yet but i know if i do it'll be all downhill from there
for my wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom