• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT5| Discussion opened, posters a little damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.
There doesn't seem to be any aperture control on my Nikon, so I guess this is one of those effects you just can't get on a basic camera?

EDIT: Instruction manual says: "2 steps (f/3.3 and f/6.6 [W])". From what I can tell it's always using F 3.3 (it says so in the HUD when auto-adjusting focus), dunno how to use F 6.6, or if it will really make a difference.
Well, 6.6 is probably just what the aperture moves towards when you use the optical zoom. Its not likely something you can actually control.
3.3 isn't terrible if that's what its actually at though. Not ideal, but its way better than what a phone would offer.

EDIT: Yeah, figured that's what it was. Most lenses get more closed (higher F) as they zoom in. I'd try taking most of the photos as zoomed out as you can. Just move closer. Find out how close you can focus, and you could probably get away with some cropping. Wont look GREAT, but worth trying out.

antibolo

Banned
Well, 6.6 is probably just what the aperture moves towards when you use the optical zoom. Its not likely something you can actually control.
3.3 isn't terrible if that's what its actually at though. Not ideal, but its way better than what a phone would offer.

EDIT: Yeah, figured that's what it was. Most lenses get more closed (higher F) as they zoom in. I'd try taking most of the photos as zoomed out as you can. Just move closer. Find out how close you can focus, and you could probably get away with some cropping. Wont look GREAT, but worth trying out.

Well since I've only figured out how to operate the optical zoom tonight (lol), all pictures I've taken so far were close range at 1x zoom.

Anyway, I'm now seriously thinking about getting one of those mirrorless interchangeables you're talking about.

Well since I've only figured out how to operate the optical zoom tonight (lol), all pictures I've taken so far were close range at 1x zoom.

Anyway, I'm now seriously thinking about getting one of those mirrorless interchangeables you're talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UI4EQMQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For a starter, this is an amazing deal. It's refurbed, so basically as good as new, and fairly cheap. The lenses will work with any E-mount cameras, so if you upgrade, you'll be able to go a6000 and keep the lenses.

BTW, it's bundled with a $350 lens. Craaaaaazy deal.

yeesh and here I am only looking at $200 cameras

$200 isn't worth it, IMO. I had the a5000, and all it really did was make me want to go out and get the a6000. BUT, I was taking up photography as a general hobby. The a5000 was perfectly suitable for figures, since you can make up for the lack of flash by just increasing the exposure time, since they don't move.

Going any lower than the a5000, and you really won't notice any difference. You'll get some IQ improvements over a phone or some such, but a5000 is when you start getting into a "real" camera. It's very much a bottom of the list camera, but it does actually do what a camera does -- take good pictures.

Another option that might be cheaper, is to just buy the body alone (to save some $$$), and then spend what you saved on some older, non AF lenses. There's a couple of advantages to that, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're planning on doing photography beyond figures.

I would definitely keep the armor on. But between the price and the amount of space she would take up, it's a tough pill to swallow.
This is true.

Have you guys ever gotten impatient over waiting for a deal on a older figure? That's me right now. I've been waiting for years but always miss out on the deal or its in crappy condition. I might just pay the premium market rate and be done with it.

EDIT: BTW, while a good camera can make it easier to get good pictures, by way of giving you a lot more options, you can still get some nice photos with what you have. I just did a quick stop by the Photography thread (some AMAZINGLY talented people in there. &_&), and very readily saw these two posts, which imply that they were made with less than ideal cameras.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=161296606&postcount=32

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=161260144&postcount=31

The MAIN disadvantages of having a P&S or a camera phone is mainly down to low resolving power (so blurry vs clear, not necessarily megapixels), and low amounts of control (aperture is the big one, some phones give you ISO and exposure), but if you know what you're working with, you can still get some good photos... You just might have to pass some up.

Muzicfreq

Banned
$200 isn't worth it, IMO. I had the a5000, and all it really did was make me want to go out and get the a6000. BUT, I was taking up photography as a general hobby. The a5000 was perfectly suitable for figures, since you can make up for the lack of flash by just increasing the exposure time, since they don't move.

Going any lower than the a5000, and you really won't notice any difference. You'll get some IQ improvements over a phone or some such, but a5000 is when you start getting into a "real" camera. It's very much a bottom of the list camera, but it does actually do what a camera does -- take good pictures.

Another option that might be cheaper, is to just buy the body alone (to save some $$$), and then spend what you saved on some older, non AF lenses. There's a couple of advantages to that, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're planning on doing photography beyond figures.

See the camera I was thinking about getting was this Cannon PowerShot SX520
Also my Flicker shows just how great my Galaxy S4 is vs my old Samsung SL605 point and shoot
GS4
16662455748_0714dd03e7_o.jpg
SL605

Both with Flash. Even messing with the lighting settings on my GS4

My GS4 takes shit quality images compared to my smaller much older point and shoot.

antibolo

Banned
EDIT: BTW, while a good camera can make it easier to get good pictures, by way of giving you a lot more options, you can still get some nice photos with what you have. I just did a quick stop by the Photography thread (some AMAZINGLY talented people in there. &_&), and very readily saw these two posts, which imply that they were made with less than ideal cameras.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=161296606&postcount=32

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=161260144&postcount=31

The MAIN disadvantages of having a P&S or a camera phone is mainly down to low resolving power (so blurry vs clear, not necessarily megapixels), and low amounts of control (aperture is the big one, some phones give you ISO and exposure), but if you know what you're working with, you can still get some good photos... You just might have to pass some up.

What bothers me the most about my current camera is that the JPEG compression appears to be very high and there doesn't seem to be any option to decrease it. Like if I compare all my pics with Acid08's pics from last page there's definitely a big difference.

What is it and how many yens?

Linky

Its not even the version I want too. The one I want is limited to 100 units and never pops up online. This one pops up for 5k - 10k on Manda once in a blue moon. The going rate for the figure though its around $180 to $200.

$192 is a pretty damn crazy price for me but its new and actually the cheapest one on eBay that isn't a bootleg.

Acid08

Banned
Linky

Its not even the version I want too. The one I want is limited to 100 units and never pops up online. This one pops up for 5k - 10k on Manda once in a blue moon. The going rate for the figure though its around $180 to $200.

$192 is a pretty damn crazy price for me but its new and actually the cheapest one on eBay that isn't a bootleg.

That's a bad situation for that lady.

Linky

Eh. Go for it. Less than I paid for Kino.

Here's some of my favorite figure pics I've taken on my own. I've been using my Galaxy S5, and trying to follow H3X's guide as best I can. I have really limited options though. Of most concern imo, is that I only have overhead lighting, and nothing decent to use as a background. My tiny apartment also gives me only two acceptable places to stage photos; my bed or the top of my bookshelf. Lack of a tripod is also harming them I think, as my hands aren't that steady when I'm trying to take pictures.

The above image has the least noise of any I've ever taken, and I can't figure out what I did to achieve that.

Bonus:

See the camera I was thinking about getting was this Cannon PowerShot SX520
Also my Flicker shows just how great my Galaxy S4 is vs my old Samsung SL605 point and shoot
GS4

SL605

Both with Flash. Even messing with the lighting settings on my GS4

My GS4 takes shit quality images compared to my smaller much older point and shoot.

Ah, see, I wasn't aware you were talking about a $350 camera that's just a year old and heavily discounted. :p
But, I guess I was talking about a heavily discounted year old camera too, so that's fair. :/

What bothers me the most about my current camera is that the JPEG compression appears to be very high and there doesn't seem to be any option to decrease it. Like if I compare all my pics with Acid08's pics from last page there's definitely a big difference.
Jpeg is the enemy. I never capture anything, ever, in Jpeg. Not even on my phone (woot Windows Phone). Some phones this year are starting to get RAW capability, so Iunno. If I work with it, I can actually get some pretty good photos out of my phone, just because of RAW + controls,but they'd look like turd if I had to shoot in jpeg.
The biggest frustration with jpeg is they are ALWAYS compressed too heavily when saved by the camera. I'm sure there's some exceptions, but they're never as nice as using LightRoom to do your jpegs.

Giolon

yeesh and here I am only looking at $200 cameras

I'm in agreement with H3X. If you want to take nice photos of your figures, you should invest in something decent. Decent doesn't have to mean super expensive. For example, the camera I have, the Panasonic GX1, now only costs about $200 used and you can get the macro lens that I have used for about $450. There are obviously newer, more expensive and fancier, but sometimes buying "old" tech can save you a bundle.

Personally, I prefer the Micro Four-Thirds family (Panasonic and Olympus camera bodies) b/c I prefer the lens selection. However, the Sony mirrorless cameras have larger sensors for arguably better image quality. However, if you are wondering about m43 image quality, well you can take a look at my photos and decide for yourself what you think of the quality. :)

You really couldn't go wrong investing a little money in either if you're serious about taking photos of your figures (and/or other stuff).

FUCK!!!

I blame Bombless for getting me to watch Walkure Romanze. Sad I'll never get an Akane figure though.

Oh man, Celia-senpai with that bodycount tonight. And it doesn't include me. Srsly, bros, I'm keeping the final months of the year pretty empty, because I'm going to be buying a shit-ton of Force Awakens merch.

Here's some of my favorite figure pics I've taken on my own. I've been using my Galaxy S5, and trying to follow H3X's guide as best I can. I have really limited options though. Of most concern imo, is that I only have overhead lighting, and nothing decent to use as a background. My tiny apartment also gives me only two acceptable places to stage photos; my bed or the top of my bookshelf. Lack of a tripod is also harming them I think, as my hands aren't that steady when I'm trying to take pictures.

The above image has the least noise of any I've ever taken, and I can't figure out what I did to achieve that.

Bonus:
Those actually look pretty nice, in terms of composition. I like the Ryuuko one especially.

As far as the noise goes, if your camera is completely auto, then they like to JACK THE ISO UP in response to lighting. Best thing you can do, is invest in a lamp with a really bright bulb. Cool blue, high brightness, and you'll remove the need for the camera to jack the ISO up. You'll also get much better color in the photos, so it's a win-win. The bulb I ended up getting was like $20 and hurts my eyes if I use it as a regular light too long, but it's FAR better than using my regular light bulb for non flash photos.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I'm in agreement with H3X. If you want to take nice photos of your figures, you should invest in something decent. Decent doesn't have to mean super expensive. For example, the camera I have, the Panasonic GX1, now only costs about $200 used and you can get the macro lens that I have used for about $450. There are obviously newer, more expensive and fancier, but sometimes buying "old" tech can save you a bundle.

Personally, I prefer the Micro Four-Thirds family (Panasonic and Olympus camera bodies) b/c I prefer the lens selection. However, the Sony mirrorless cameras have larger sensors for arguably better image quality. However, if you are wondering about m43 image quality, well you can take a look at my photos and decide for yourself what you think of the quality. :)

You really couldn't go wrong investing a little money in either if you're serious about taking photos of your figures (and/or other stuff).

Maybe once I have a fulltime job and have more figures I will invest in a more expensive camera but for being on limited funds I have to make due with what I can. My GS4 takes shitty shots, my SL605 is pretty old now.

Fact is, I need something better than what I currently have and the Canon PowerShot SX520 seems to fit my needs.

Maybe once I have a fulltime job and have more figures I will invest in a more expensive camera but for being on limited funds I have to make due with what I can. My GS4 takes shitty shots, my SL605 is pretty old now.

Fact is, I need something better than what I currently have and the Canon PowerShot SX520 seems to fit my needs.

If you're that strapped for cash, I'd just wait for the job then. $200 is in the territory of ALMOST enough, but not quite. Besides, that just means more photos when you get it. I'd hate for you to be disappointed.

Besides, if you buy used, well, it's already used. You bought it for what it's worth used. If you decide it's not for you, it's easy to sell it back
to liquidate into more figures.

Muzicfreq

Banned
If you're that strapped for cash, I'd just wait for the job then. $200 is in the territory of ALMOST enough, but not quite. Besides, that just means more photos when you get it. I'd hate for you to be disappointed.

Besides, if you buy used, well, it's already used. You bought it for what it's worth used. If you decide it's not for you, it's easy to sell it back
to liquidate into more figures.

guess that makes perfect sense.
I'll try to make my SL605 sing like it couldnt before for now

Those actually look pretty nice, in terms of composition. I like the Ryuuko one especially.

As far as the noise goes, if your camera is completely auto, then they like to JACK THE ISO UP in response to lighting. Best thing you can do, is invest in a lamp with a really bright bulb. Cool blue, high brightness, and you'll remove the need for the camera to jack the ISO up. You'll also get much better color in the photos, so it's a win-win. The bulb I ended up getting was like $20 and hurts my eyes if I use it as a regular light too long, but it's FAR better than using my regular light bulb for non flash photos.

Thanks, the encouragement is great! ^_^

The S5 does have some nice options:

I think the noise may be due to a lack of light. I typically can't get away with the lowest ISO setting (100), and the overhead lights just don't seem like enough. I'll take a look at desk lamps today when I go to the store. I was thinking about getting one anyway and trying to set up a shadow box.

I think the noise may be due to a lack of light. I typically can't get away with the lowest ISO setting (100), and the overhead lights just don't seem like enough. I'll take a look at desk lamps today when I go to the store. I was thinking about getting one anyway and trying to set up a shadow box.

Most important one there is ISO. :) Also, see if it has exposure options -- if it does, get a tripod, and use the timer feature. Neat trick for low ISO/high exposure/a cheap tripod, is to set up your tripod so that you've got everything lined up how you want it, and take a long exposure photo. It might be like 6 seconds or some shit, doesn't matter. Figure out how long of a shot you need to take to get it lit up well. THEN, after that, use the delay timer shot thing (where you hit the button, it waits 3 seconds, then takes the photo). The reason why you do this, is because when you hit the shutter button, the phone will shake! Thus adding unwanted blurring to your photo. Using the timer, ensures that you hit the button, the phone stops shaking, and THEN it takes the photo. With my camera I can take a good photo in near pitch black darkness, off nothing but the screen displaying dark themed NeoGAF (so really, not a lot of light), and still get good shots with this technique. I'm sure using a lightbulb will let you get good photos like this (assuming you have exposure control and a tripod).

MAKE SURE IT'S A COOL BLUE LIGHT. That's "neutral" light. If you get a regular light, you'll get that ugly yellow tint that looks bad. "Cool blue" is more like "neutral white."

EDIT: Also, make sure it's a powerful light, POINTING UP. You don't want the lightbulb pointing directly at the figure, otherwise it'll look washed out. You want the light to reflect off your (hopefully white) cieling. If it isn't white, tape a big posterboard over your figure haha.

That was fast dude.

Oh man, Celia-senpai with that bodycount tonight. And it doesn't include me. Srsly, bros, I'm keeping the final months of the year pretty empty, because I'm going to be buying a shit-ton of Force Awakens merch.

I have nothing in October. Also besides the back, which won't be noticeable fully armored, she looks really nice. She's only 2.5k more than Selvaria and seems like is a more substantial figure. Plus Celia is a goddess. No way was I paying more than that though.

antibolo

Banned
Well I'm off to bed, but before I go, here's an accidentally scary Mikudayo pic I took while experimenting with flash and blurry background (Danganronpa waifus in the back).

Hope she won't kill me in my sleep. Good night.

Giolon

Whatever you think will work for you. Just know that you might be more limited than you want, especially in terms of things like how close up of a shot you can take. Other than that, it seems like a nice camera.

MAKE SURE IT'S A COOL BLUE LIGHT. That's "neutral" light. If you get a regular light, you'll get that ugly yellow tint that looks bad. "Cool blue" is more like "neutral white."

EDIT: Also, make sure it's a powerful light, POINTING UP. You don't want the lightbulb pointing directly at the figure, otherwise it'll look washed out. You want the light to reflect off your (hopefully white) cieling. If it isn't white, tape a big posterboard over your figure haha.

What you want to look for in terms of lights is "Daylight White". That's the color that matches the sun. It's "blueish" compared to normal light bulbs. And as my friend told me, more watts is better. You also don't have to only point the light up. I have high ceilings so that doesn't work well for me. The posterboard suggestion is a good one. Alternatively, I set my lights into a shipping box w/ a white sheet over it to soften and spread the light.

antibolo

Banned
Seeing Acid08's "I know nothing about photography" photos only makes me want to give up photography altogether. No pic I've done with my Nikon so far has ever came close to be as good as any of these. Is my camera just shit, or am I a lost cause? I can't get anything up close without it being a blurry mess.

Acid08

Banned
Seeing Acid08's "I know nothing about photography" photos only makes me want to give up photography altogether. No pic I've done with my Nikon so far has ever came close to be as good as any of these. Is my camera just shit, or am I a lost cause?

Dude, I'm serious. I just jack up the resolution and point and shoot. Just play around with your settings.

antibolo

Banned
Dude, I'm serious. I just jack up the resolution and point and shoot. Just play around with your settings.

I can't keep a steady enough hand that can possibly give me such clean, sharp results on close up shots. I take like 10 shots and around half of them are just worthless blur, while the other half are merely mediocre.

Giolon

Camera talk got me to fool around with mine a bit. It's just an old point and shoot. Here's an album of shots.

Will post a few here:

I know nothing about photography.

Not too shabby for a P&S! Do you want any feedback? If you don't, I'll leave it at that. Love that Noriko figure.

I can't keep a steady enough hand that can possibly give me such clean, sharp results on close up shots. I take like 10 shots and more than half of them are just worthless blur, while the other half are merely mediocre.
Without knowing specifics, the answers to that are likely: more light, use a higher ISO sensitivity (in general, I try to stay under 800 for my camera), and try a tripod - even a cheap $20 tabletop one.

Acid08

Banned
I can't keep a steady enough hand that can possibly give me such clean, sharp results on close up shots. I take like 10 shots and around half of them are just worthless blur, while the other half are merely mediocre.
For every shot I put up there are 10 more than came out all blurry or totally washed out from the flash. It really is just a matter of playing around with stuff and seeing what works!

Not too shabby for a P&S! Do you want any feedback? If you don't, I'll leave it at that. Love that Noriko figure.

Without knowing specifics, the answers to that are likely: more light, use a higher ISO sensitivity (in general, I try to stay under 800 for my camera), and try a tripod - even a cheap $20 tabletop one.

Feedback is super welcome! I can't afford a better camera so getting the most out of the one I have would be nice haha.

And thanks, that Noriko figure is amazing! It's old and not the best quality but it's an absolutely *perfect* representation of her!

Giolon

Feedback is super welcome! I can't afford a better camera so getting the most out of the one I have would be nice haha.

And thanks, that Noriko figure is amazing! It's old and not the best quality but it's an absolutely *perfect* representation of her!

LOL the advice isn't always "Get a better camera!", though moving from a super simple point and shoot to something with more manual controls available is almost always helpful.

That being said, the one thing I want to talk about is the flash. The camera flash is often your worst enemy. It produces very harsh, flat lighting. "But it's too dark without it!" you think. Try a desk lamp (or two) off to the side instead. A table lamp can work but usually has yellowish light (which can be corrected somewhat w/ photo editing software). If you feel you absolutely must use the flash, try to soften it by putting a piece or two of tissue over it. If you can, angle it up towards the ceiling with your finger.

Try to think about what you're trying to show with your picture. Is it an interesting angle? What are you trying to highlight on the figure? Is the framing right? Look up the Rule of Thirds, though realize that it's not a 100% hard and fast rule - I disagree with it often, but I'm no professional.

This, IMO, is your best photo of the lot:
I feel it could possibly be made better if the camera were lowered to a position where her eyes are looking back at the viewer. However, that might ruin the nice diagonal she creates across the frame that gives her a real sense of motion. It's all about experimentation until you get the shot you want!

This one would be fantastic on a snowy background. I like that you leveled the height of the camera for this one. Even though it's partially breaking the Rule of Thirds (she's centered horizontally, but her face is pretty close to the top third line), I think this is one of those instances that shows when rules are meant to be broken. The figure has such a serene look that it stands out just by showcasing her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom