• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

I'm on Chapter 10 in FF XIII I'm so close I think.
It's pretty shitty that it costs so much CP to get a character to learn a new Role.
Can't wait till I'm done to play FF XIII-2.

What is wrong with me I'm sorry

It's pretty shitty that it costs so much CP to get a character to learn a new Role.

Depends on how much time you want to spend in Chapter 11. If you just want to grind a bit, you're about 10 hours from the end. If you want to explore a bit, you could be as much as 30 hours from the end.

Hey at least in FFXIII-2 you can move left and right, not only across physical space, but across time and space.

It also ended the series appropriately.

The corridors don't end for the main plot.

It's just that there's this massive expanse of bullshit quests you can do in between corridors.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I would've preferred that they kept their game design consistent. It's like they'd omitted something in Chapter 11 to make it seem more cohesive with respect to the rest of the game. I can't help but to feel like that entire segment was a rather large hole in both the storytelling and the general pacing of the game.

You start off with this breakneck pace, but FF13's problem is that its game design and general pacing is woefully inconsistent. There isn't any semblance of adequate tension-building and tension release in waves like there is in other games. It's keeps gunning, and then there's this hole of poor pacing--heck, no pacing at all--so late into the game that you're left wondering why they didn't bother to segment it into waves so that the experience doesn't necessarily feel tiring, like a slog, or like it flows poorly.

I will certainly admit that my experience with the game became rather tiresome when Chapter 10 hit (much like a lot of other people, as that's the chapter where they implicitly teach you to start using other roles for augmenting, buffing/debuffing, and tanking when the normal player would just go all-in without thinking of faster strategy and defensive stances being the better and faster offense). When Chapter 11 hit, I'd felt like the game's pacing fell off a cliff. They had cutscenes that didn't mesh well, it felt like something was missing because of those cutscenes, and despite feeling like a reprieve, it just felt like it was meeting some sort of odd game design blueprint. I kind of understand what they were trying to do, but sometimes it felt like different parts were developed by different people, and these people barely communicated with each other.

With that said, I think out of the two games, I prefer FF13 by a slight margin. As I'd said in the FF13-2 OT, both games have something that the other doesn't. They complement each other well, but as it stands, both of them are rather equal (but my preference is for the first game as opposed to the second for various reasons). I think both games are rather average.

CorvoSol

I feel like from a gameplay stand point, Gran Pulse is the best part of the game. Go where you want, develop how you want, and while there are precious few detours, you can take those, too. If the town seen on Pulse in XIII-2 had been in XIII it'd've been fine.

From a story stand point it is a mess, though. Hope's character is reset so he can get the Eidolon they forgot to make him get during the stuff in Palum Polum. Hope suddenly knows they need to go to Oerba. They get to Oerba and there's nothing there. No cure for the curse, no instruction, and no real hope. Just
Bart, and he's just trolling. How he'd know they'd be there is beyond me, though, aside from his owl. Cuz he can't be giving Hope the idea to go there, since Hope's a Pulse l'Cie, and has no spiritual ties to Cocoon. Plus nothing in the game suggests it.
Then you're just forced to go back.

Honestly Oerba onward feels really rushed. From a narrative standpoint it only just makes sense as a midpoint for the game. But the game just propels you on.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What really felt weird was (Chapter 11 narrative spoilers)
that you had the sense that the chapter was supposed to revolve around Vanille, finally, despite her being the narrator and essential central character for the journey. It would explain all of those small scenes for her with Hope, and even the scene where everyone disappeared and only she and Fang were battling Hecatoncheir alone. But no, they forgot to give Hope his robot, so they had to take his character development away for a little bit until they gave him his robot, and then those small scenes between the characters just felt... weird.

I do honestly think that there was initially more to Chapter 11 then there ended up being in the final product, so who knows. That postmortem article did highlight that a lack of communication between departments and other aspects of the development cycle being detrimental to FF13's sense of consistency, coherence, and a general sense of design flow, so... *shrug*

CorvoSol

that you had the sense that the chapter was supposed to revolve around Vanille, finally, despite her being the narrator and essential central character for the journey. It would explain all of those small scenes for her with Hope, and even the scene where everyone disappeared and only she and Fang were battling Hecatoncheir alone. But no, they forgot to give Hope his robot, so they had to take his character development away for a little bit until they gave him his robot, and then those small scenes between the characters just felt... weird.

I do honestly think that there was initially more to Chapter 11 then there ended up being in the final product, so who knows. That postmortem article did highlight that a lack of communication between departments and other aspects of the development cycle being detrimental to FF13's sense of consistency, coherence, and a general sense of design flow, so... *shrug*

Even so, I hold that I would've lived with it all had XIII-2 never been made.

Yeah, story wise, I always felt Chapter 11 was a massive waste of potential. They gloss over entire weeks on Pulse ("Oh yeah, we went there... nothing." end of cutscene), have that retread on Hope's character development, has an almost non-coherent sense of progression, and later in the Ultimania we learn they did shit tons of stuff off screen. No team building like I was hoping for (seriously, did Lightning and Vanille have a single direct conversation during the whole game? The writers act like they have such a strong bond, but they never even talked a single time and barely even trade glances), no extended world building... just a bunch of mish-mashed cutscenes (of which the only one I truly liked was the one between Snow and Lightning) and Oerba which seemed hilariously rushed. Really, anything post chapter 10 story wise seems obviously rushed.

Wazzy

Banned
Thanks Cor and Mech for the level heads up on the final boss.

I'm gonna do some colony 6 reconstruction so I can get the two Exp up gems from it. Then I'll finish off some other quests and continue grinding until I'm around 80's

Red Mage

It feels like every summon after
Sazh
was tacted on, to be honest.

Sazh

Yeah, what with Fang and her
Oh yea, I've decided to keel all of you because of my insecurities
, Hope and his
I'm suddenly at an earlier point in my character development for no apparent reason
, and Vanille with her
Fang blames herself for Ragnorok... so Eidolon

CorvoSol

Sazh

Honestly I might be in the minority, but I thought that Sazh's was the only one that was well done. Lightning's is like "GOD DAMN IT HOPE FUCK OFF AND PLEASE STAY AWAY SO THE SHIPPING WILL END." Hope's is "WHOOPS DID WE EVER FORGET THIS!" Snow's is "SERAH! I'LL SAVE OUR MARRIAGE!" Fang's is "FUCK Y'ALL" and Vanille's is "LESBIANSLESBIANSLESBIANS".

Sazh's was legit, though. This babe he was thinkin' bout banging had fucked his kid over and ruined his life. That's some James Bond stuff there.

Wazzy

Banned
Honestly I might be in the minority, but I thought that Sazh's was the only one that was well done. Lightning's is like "GOD DAMN IT HOPE FUCK OFF AND PLEASE STAY AWAY SO THE SHIPPING WILL END." Hope's is "WHOOPS DID WE EVER FORGET THIS!" Snow's is "SERAH! I'LL SAVE OUR MARRIAGE!" Fang's is "FUCK Y'ALL" and Vanille's is "LESBIANSLESBIANSLESBIANS".

Sazh's was legit, though. This babe he was thinkin' bout banging had fucked his kid over and ruined his life. That's some James Bond stuff there.

I was with you till the last two.

Ain't no problems with the last two. I'm with Fang. Fuck them all.

Red Mage

I didn't say they were all good, just that it made sense of why they'd show up. Lightning and Snow basically think of giving up at those points. = P

Also, I didn't think of it as Sazh wanting to bang
Vanille.
To me, she was a substitute for his son, in that he could try and protect her where he couldn't his boy. Then he finds out the one he's been protecting is responsible for his son's current state. Two things had kept him going: Protecting this new person, and find a way to rescue his child and take revenge.

Wazzy

Banned
I didn't say they were all good, just that it made sense of why they'd show up. Lightning and Snow basically think of giving up at those points. = P

Vanille.
To me, she was a substitute for his son, in that he could try and protect her where he couldn't his boy. Then he finds out the one he's been protecting is responsible for his son's current state. Two things had kept him going: Protecting this new person, and find a way to rescue his child and take revenge.
It's kind of implied that he likes Vanille when she reunites with Fang and he looks disappointed because he thinks they're a thing(as does everyone)

CorvoSol

Vanille.

He definitely checks out her butt.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm done with FFXIII. The story really is immensely stupid. It's a waste of time and even though I might be 10 or so hours away from the finish line it's just not worth it to me anymore.

Can't say I didn't give the game a chance. According to the game timer I gave it almost a full 24 hour day of my life.

Music was good. Graphics were impressive. And I did like Fang a lot. Knew next to nothing about her character but in my head canon she's awesome.

CorvoSol

All XIII characters are terrible. Even Sazh. He's just the one who is the least terrible.

I'd say in terms of characters it goes Sazh > Fang > Lightning. Those three are tolerable. Then Vanille > Hope > Snow. Vanille was interesting on paper, with her subverting the sugar hyper girl thing of FF, but she just didn't really have enough else. I guess orgasmic mecha combat helped, too. Hope is shit but he did almost kill Snow.

Snow is the worst Final Fantasy character (barring Team NORA) since Genesis Rhapsodos.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Snow is the worst Final Fantasy character (barring Team NORA) since Genesis Rhapsodos.

Snow is actually part of Team NORA. They really are shit. The way that dudebro guy stands in battles with that gun...my eyes can't roll back into my skull without causing permanent damage.

Nora. That fucking word.

Did they think it was cute that they had a "organization" called Team NORA along with a character named Nora, as well as a revenge plot called Operation Nora?

I can't. I just can't.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nora. That fucking word.

Did they think it was cute that they had a "organization" called Team NORA along with a character named Nora, as well as a revenge plot called Operation Nora?

I can't. I just can't.

NORA

Noteworthy Obvious Redundant Awfulness.

Nick292

Neo Member
Nora. That fucking word.

I can't. I just can't.

isn't it because in Japanese Nora is a word for a stray cat?

Nick292

Neo Member
That doesn't make it any less stupid.

In fact now I just find it even dumber.

Well no, because a stray cat implies freedom and disobedience and and...

God its dumb, it is so dumb. I don't know what they were thinking making those characters from Team Nora. One thing I will always give Yoshitaka Amano and Tetsuo Nomura credit for is that their character designs weren't absolutely unbearable compared to whoever did Team Nora. That is probably my greatest fear going forward in the FF series, if it does go forward is that the character design is gonna get EVEN worse then Team Nora.

Sorry, Corvo. This character does not exist in my Final Fantasy vocabulary.

I don't know what a Team NORA is either.

Just imagine: if there is ever another VII spin off or VII remake... he'll play a big part. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHhahaha...............a....ha....oh...

I just made myself sad :(

Goddamnit, why'd I do that?

XJF

I would have to agree with this, hated Snow passionately. Looks like he's still a tool in LR:FFXIII based off the opening cinematic.

Speaking of Genesis (this may have already been discussed),
shouldn't there be at least one more Comp of FFVII game to explain what happens after the special scene at the end of Dirge of Cerberus if you collect all the capsules through out the game?

I never finished Crisis Core. I was too lazy :V
I loved CC:FFVII, basically only reason I bought my PSP (barring Star Ocean re-releases, Dissidia, FF re-releases, GT, nevermind... no it wasn't lol). But in all honesty, it was one of the better games to ever hit the System.

Top Bottom