• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Wazzy

Banned
Guys, we managed to go almost 2 weeks without a thread devolving into who's FF is better. I'm so proud. <3 Too bad that locked one broke our streak ; ;

CorvoSol

Guys, we managed to go almost 2 weeks without a thread devolving into who's FF is better. I'm so proud. <3 Too bad that locked one broke our streak ; ;

Obviously my FF is better because I like it so much. Since I'm not you, I'm inclined to pick mine over yours. Unless you agree with me.

CorvoSol

DIs FF logic being real is what sucks.

This logic works in all gaming situations.

My favorite Pokemon is the best.

My favorite Smash is the best.

My favorite Metal Gear is the best.

My favorite console is the best.

My favorite chin of Gaben's is the best.

Wazzy

Banned
This logic works in all gaming situations.

My favorite Pokemon is the best.

My favorite Smash is the best.

My favorite Metal Gear is the best.

My favorite console is the best.

My favorite chin of Gaben's is the best.
I would say the only ones that really compare are Zelda and Pokemon. MGS is generally either all of them are good except 4 or all of them are good.

Zelda has it just as bad as FF.

CorvoSol

I would say the only ones that really compare are Zelda and Pokemon. MGS is generally either all of them are good except 4 or all of them are good.

Zelda has it just as bad as FF.

There are those jerks who insist nothing after MGS2 is good.

Wazzy

Banned
I also cried at MGS4's ending. It was so bad it reduced me to tears. :(

But I don't agree that it's only after MGS2, the third game is beloved my many and is usually praised. The two games that get the most flack are 2 and 4 with IMO 4 deserving a lot of it while 2 was good.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FFXIII

I'm 15 hours in give or take a couple hours, and I'm really trying you guys but god damn this is getting tough. Sooooo boring. The production value feels all over the place. The graphics at times are like some of the best I've seen on PS3. All them colors. All them artistic flairs. Even the CGI cutscenes are impressive which is rare for me these days. But the animations are kind of terrible. And the areas are sooooo devoid of ANYTHING lol

I'm at the part where Snow rides in with Shiva. I'm pretty sure at this point Fang is the only character I actually like if only because I know nothing about her yet. I'm sure when she reveals her generic backstory and/or gives the motivational speech to the team I will roll my eyes. And I really don't think this was a lost-in-translation kind of thing, the translation in this game is actually pretty good, throwing in nuances you'd come across from a native English speaker. Even in it's native language, the story of this game can't be too good, no way.

edit: Also this game has the worst catchphrases. "Heroes don't need plans!" "Operation NORA!" "Need to have hope to live because no hope is just a way to die." Argh anger rising

When Cloud said "Let's mosey." I'm pretty sure I remember his party members calling him out on that kinda dumb shit. When Squall was giving orders to Balamb Garden to protect the hot dogs in the campus restaurant from Galbadian soldiers, I'm pretty sure that was actually inspiring. When Tidus said, well, anything, I'm pretty sure I remember his party members rolling their eyes too. But in FFXIII everyone is Tidus

Asd202

FFXIII

I'm 15 hours in give or take a couple hours, and I'm really trying you guys but god damn this is getting tough. Sooooo boring. The production value feels all over the place. The graphics at times are like some of the best I've seen on PS3. All them colors. All them artistic flairs. Even the CGI cutscenes are impressive which is rare for me these days. But the animations are kind of terrible. And the areas are sooooo devoid of ANYTHING lol

I'm at the part where Snow rides in with Shiva. I'm pretty sure at this point Fang is the only character I actually like if only because I know nothing about her yet. I'm sure when she reveals her generic backstory and/or gives the motivational speech to the team I will roll my eyes. And I really don't think this was a lost-in-translation kind of thing, the translation in this game is actually pretty good, throwing in nuances you'd come across from a native English speaker. Even in it's native language, the story of this game can't be too good, no way.

edit: Also this game has the worst catchphrases. "Heroes don't need plans!" "Operation NORA!" "Need to have hope to live because no hope is just a way to die." Argh anger rising

When Cloud said "Let's mosey." I'm pretty sure I remember his party members calling him out on that kinda dumb shit. When Squall was giving orders to Balamb Garden to protect the hot dogs in the campus restaurant from Galbadian soldiers, I'm pretty sure that was actually inspiring. When Tidus said, well, anything, I'm pretty sure I remember his party members rolling their eyes too. But in FFXIII everyone is Tidus

The writing doesn't get better not even in sequels and the whole story in XIII-2 is even more stupid.

Sub_Level

Balancing a singleplayer JRPG must be pretty tough. With fighting games and RTS there's a lot of factors, but the matches in those games take up a limited space of time. With JRPGs you have a loooong game to account for with tons of abilities. So far XIII has handled this well by heavily restricting the advancement of your characters. Bad for player choice, absolutely, but the challenge feels just right except for one key area imo: I don't think you should be able to Retry. The game should kick you to the title menu. There's a ton of save points in XIII, and waiting for the menu to go through the motions and load your game serves as a penalty for the player.

Anyways I'm still in Chapter 7 but I'm back to enjoying myself again. Fang is a pretty cool gal. Seh casts Slowga and doesn't afraid of anything.

The writing doesn't get better not even in sequels and the whole story in XIII-2 is even more stupid.

I would say that FFVIII is still the more incoherent story however. FFXIII tries to establish it's lore at least with datalogs. It doesn't necessarily establish it in a way that's not stupid but it does try. With FFVIII you had stuff like draw points, gf-induced amnesia, gunblades (as opposed to a sword that can turn into a gun), flying college campuses, time kompression....

Balancing a singleplayer JRPG must be pretty tough. With fighting games and RTS there's a lot of factors, but the matches in those games take up a limited space of time. With JRPGs you have a loooong game to account for with tons of abilities. So far XIII has handled this well by heavily restricting the advancement of your characters. Bad for player choice, absolutely, but the challenge feels just right except for one key area imo: I don't think you should be able to Retry. The game should kick you to the title menu. There's a ton of save points in XIII, and waiting for the menu to go through the motions and load your game serves as a penalty for the player.

Anyways I'm still in Chapter 7 but I'm back to enjoying myself again. Fang is a pretty cool gal. Seh casts Slowga and doesn't afraid of anything.

I would say that FFVIII is still the more incoherent story however. FFXIII tries to establish it's lore at least with datalogs. It doesn't necessarily establish it in a way that's not stupid but it does try. With FFVIII you had stuff like draw points, gf-induced amnesia, gunblades (as opposed to a sword that can turn into a gun), flying college campuses, time kompression....

What's the point of kicking a player to the menu? Punishment in the form of load times? All it does is waste 2 or so minutes.

CorvoSol

I also cried at MGS4's ending. It was so bad it reduced me to tears. :(

But I don't agree that it's only after MGS2, the third game is beloved my many and is usually praised. The two games that get the most flack are 2 and 4 with IMO 4 deserving a lot of it while 2 was good.

No, no, no, I said UNironically.

Sub_Level

What's the point of kicking a player to the menu? Punishment in the form of load times? All it does is waste 2 or so minutes.

Not only that, but you would lose progress since before the last save just like in other FFs. So if you died to a boss, started again at the save point, and maybe there were enemies before that boss, you would have to fight them again. It would be more of an incentive to play smart and give the player more excitement when taking chances in high tension battles.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They should have a feature where if you suck so bad it deletes your save data and bumps you down to level 1. And erases your inventory and leaves you with Excalipoor.

Not only that, but you would lose progress since before the last save just like in other FFs. So if you died to a boss, started again at the save point, and maybe there were enemies before that boss, you would have to fight them again. It would be more of an incentive to play smart and give the player more excitement when taking chances in high tension battles.

But that would be counter productive to what they want the player to do, which is for the player to be experimental with the battle system. Punishing them with lost progress will only cause them to play it safe, which will cause a player to become more and more defensive. Playing on defense 99% of the time is not fun in XIII, but that's what people will do (and in some cases still did regardless) if they think they're about to lose 30 minutes of progress. Most of the fun to be had with XIII's gameplay is tinkering around with the battle system. Punishing the player for it is, as I said, counter intuitive.

That's one of the main things that turned me off on FFVIII when I first played it. Especially compared to FFVII where the materia system is fully explained and plot important, VIII is just like "there are these monster things you can equip to yourself" and that's it. It's such a creative world but no effort was really put into explaining why things were the way they were.

Wazzy

Banned

That's one of the main things that turned me off on FFVIII when I first played it. Especially compared to FFVII where the materia system is fully explained and plot important, VIII is just like "there are these monster things you can equip to yourself" and that's it. It's such a creative world but no effort was really put into explaining why things were the way they were.

Hm? VIII has a much clearer world than XIII and doesn't rely on it's datalog to get the information. VIII's datalog has tidbits of background information to give more details but nothing important enough to change how you view the story.

GF amnesia is basically a fee for using their powers.

What exactly needs to be explained about a gunblade in VIII? It's a sword with a revolver attached and it uses blanks to give the blade a blast when attacking hence the R1 attacks for Squall and Seifer. It doesn't actually fire bullets or anything. It's also a very unpopular weapon due to how hard it is to handle which is why Seifer and Squall are the only two seen weilding them.

I'm also not sure what needs explaining about gardens and their ability to fly. In this world, the schools were built with emergency systems in case of an attack to be mobile.

As for Time Compression(it's a translators mistake with the K, she pronounces it normally) What are you confused about? the game explains a lot of it so I'm not sure what exactly you don't understand.

Sub_Level

It's not so much that I don't understand those things, it's more like I think those things are dumb. And weird. And so weird that they're dumb lol

But hey I still like VIII a lot. It was my first FF so lotsa memories.

Wazzy

Banned
It's not so much that I don't understand those things, it's more like I think those things are dumb. And weird. And so weird that they're dumb lol

But hey I still like VIII a lot. It was my first FF so lotsa memories.

But why are they dumb? How is a gunblade any dumber than a giant buster sword? or how about XIII copying VIII's Gunblade idea and making it more odd of a creation and having it turn into a sword and a funtional gun?

Wazzy

Banned
You know, there are actual gun knives.

*Is that guy*

Don't be that guy. :(

But of course I know, I just meant XIII's way of making a gunblade. It more or less transforms into either while in real life it's generally just a knife attached to a gun. :p

And let's get real, VIII's is the coolest.

Don't be that guy. :(

But of course I know, I just meant XIII's way of making a gunblade. It more or less transforms into either while in real life it's generally just a knife attached to a gun. :p

And let's get real, VIII's is the coolest.

*Being that guy*

21004d1288507667-dont-bring-gun-knife-fight-awesome_knife.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If FFVIII's battle system was like VII or even IX's, it will probably be my most favorite FF ever.

Yes, I admit I like the setting, story, and music.

Sub_Level

But why are they dumb? How is a gunblade any dumber than a giant buster sword? or how about XIII copying VIII's Gunblade idea and making it more odd of a creation and having it turn into a sword and a funtional gun?

They're dumb because they don't appeal to my particular aesthetic sensibilities brah.

If FFVIII's battle system was like VII or even IX's, it will probably be my most favorite FF ever.

The music and setting of VIII are my favorite in the series. Story, at times, was pretty awesome. Especially the Disc 1 and 2 armed conflict stuff. Everything from Disc 3 either I don't remember or don't wanna remember >__>

I've been playing Final Fantasy XIII lately. I gotta say I really like it, I find the battle system fun and the story is good enough for me. I see where all the hate is coming from but I wish I would have tried it earlier, it's really fun.

Wazzy

Banned

I personally loved VIII's system because the junctioning allowed so much customization. I like being able to turn the game into a job system style or a broken play through or a challenge.

Drawing is lame though. Thankfully it's not recommended.
They're dumb because they don't appeal to my particular aesthetic sensibilities brah.
You sicken me. Bro.

But VIII's plots good, even after the third disc =D

CorvoSol

I've been playing Final Fantasy XIII lately. I gotta say I really like it, I find the battle system fun and the story is good enough for me. I see where all the hate is coming from but I wish I would have tried it earlier, it's really fun.

Honestly XIII would've been ok on its own (aside from team NORA. FUUUUUCK those guys). I mean, it would've still been an enormous disappointment, but we all woulda gotten over it.

XIII-2 is bull shit, though. Mostly cuz of that fricking ending.

Noi

Yo Corvo. Flowers of Evil. You wanted to write more about it, and I'm here to read it all.

I'd take it to PMs, but the more people read about it and end up watching it as a result the better.

Honestly XIII would've been ok on its own (aside from team NORA. FUUUUUCK those guys). I mean, it would've still been an enormous disappointment, but we all woulda gotten over it.

XIII-2 is bull shit, though. Mostly cuz of that fricking ending.
Eh I dunno, I've played FF 7, X, XII, and now XIII and I still thought XIII is good/okay.

I'm going to be honest, I was lost when the game started, it was weird. Not much was being explained and then I checked out the Datalog and it explained what I was being confused about, since then I read every update on the events section because it explains things that can't be seen during a cutscene. For example when
Hope is on Snow's back he just takes the knife out and looks at it but the Datalog says he was thinking about killing Snow right there but he couldn't.

It probably helps that I started the game not expecting anything good at all going by everything that was said about it.

CorvoSol

Yo Corvo. Flowers of Evil. You wanted to write more about it, and I'm here to read it all.

I'd take it to PMs, but the more people read about it and end up watching it as a result the better.

I'm finishing up Wolf Children, but then I'll pop over to the Anime thread with my thoughts on both.

Eh I dunno, I've played FF 7, X, XII, and now XIII and I still thought XIII is good/okay.

I'm going to be honest, I was lost when the game started, it was weird. Not much was being explained and then I checked out the Datalog and it explained what I was being confused about, since then I read every update on the events section because it explains things that can't be seen during a cutscene. For example when
Hope is on Snow's back he just takes the knife out and looks at it but the Datalog says he was thinking about killing Snow right there but he couldn't.

It probably helps that I started the game not expecting anything good at all going by everything that was said about it.

Kinda busy right now, and I've gone into detail before why I think it isn't polished and is disappointing, but I think a comparison between XII and XIII from a gameplay perspective is illustrative. Namely, in XII there is so much more freedom of exploration, of character development, and even in battle options. XIII's strong points are the Paradigm shifting, the pacing of battle, the visuals and the music. But the game is incredibly barren in terms of what you can do and where you can go both in and out of battle. I categorically reject the notion that the game's plot excuses these faults, and I do so in no small part because the game didn't even have a playable form until the demo came out. Or rather, the developers are on record as saying they had no idea how the game would play until they made the demo, and as someone who saw the trailers in 06 and 07 and then saw nothing until I played the game in late 010, yeah, it definitely shows.

XIII was pretty disappointing, but I could've lived with it, and I admit I like to go back and replay it, too. It was XIII-2 that soured me forever. Aside from Snow, Hope, and Team NORA. FUCK those people.

CorvoSol

Everytime FFXIII forces me to play as Vanille and Sazh I die a little inside. I'm 21 hours in and I'm still in the corridor >:|

Nevar forget

I kinda feel like Sazh is one of the only good characters in the game. Playing as Snow and Hope is what killed my soul and faith in console RPGs.

Everytime FFXIII forces me to play as Vanille and Sazh I die a little inside. I'm 21 hours in and I'm still in the corridor >:|

Nevar forget
I felt this way too until Chapter 8 when shit hit the fan. I thought they were lumped together just cause but it turns out it was way more than that.

I'm on Chapter 9 but yeah it's been corridors up until now and I'm beginning to think about how large Final Fantasy 12 was. I hate myself for not finishing it, I think I was pretty close to the final boss but then my disk broke.
Man, Final Fantasy 12 was amazing.

Wazzy

Banned
Quick Xenoblade question, how close am I to beating the game? I'm doing the
Mechanis Core
right now. I should finish off the last 8 Alcamoth quests before this but I'm lazy and just want to progress the game lol

CorvoSol

Quick Xenoblade question, how close am I to beating the game? I'm doing the
Mechanis Core
right now. I should finish off the last 8 Alcamoth quests before this but I'm lazy and just want to progress the game lol

Depending on your level, you have about 5 hours to go, assuming you only have to grind and don't spend it doing quests.

I had about 75 hours total.

Wazzy

Banned
Depending on your level, you have about 5 hours to go, assuming you only have to grind and don't spend it doing quests.

I had about 75 hours total.
Awesome thanks. If it's about 5 hours more than it looks like I'll be finishing with around 75 also.

Top Bottom