• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Wazzy

Banned
Hello gang. Does anyone here know where to get hi-res FF art? I've been trying collect from several of the games. Lately I've been looking for hi-res art from XIV, DISSIDIA 012 , and LR.
Much appreciated for any help you can give.

Creative Uncut is pretty good with that however I'm not sure if they have those three since I haven't checked their site in a while.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FFXIII

Do Lightning and Hope ever become an item? Or is it hinted at? Or does it stay as a big sister kinda thing? I'm only at chapter 5 but you can go ahead and spoil it. It's the cutest part of the game :3

FFXIII

Do Lightning and Hope ever become an item? Or is it hinted at? Or does it stay as a big sister kinda thing? I'm only at chapter 5 but you can go ahead and spoil it. It's the cutest part of the game :3
Nope. But they form a bond that seems to continue in LR. What do think of XIII so far?

I'm just really not feelin' Lightning Returns' art direction. We went from crystal lakes and forests, futuristic highways, plains with giant alien plants, futuristic cities, old ruins, industrial era towns, airships, trippy alternate dimensions, and fields of crystal all of which were full of color (blue, green, and purple especially) in XIII... to a barren desert, a wide open grassland, a city with an obsession for checker board patterns, and a city that is devoid of any color other they grey that are not festive lights in Lightning Returns. Did I mention how much grey there is?

Just... really not feeling it.

I'm just really not feelin' Lightning Returns' art direction. We went from crystal lakes and forests, futuristic highways, plains with giant alien plants, futuristic cities, old ruins, industrial era towns, airships, trippy alternate dimensions, and fields of crystal all of which were full of color (blue, green, and purple especially) in XIII... to a barren desert, a wide open grassland, a city with an obsession for checker board patterns, and a city that is devoid of any color other they grey that are not festive lights in Lightning Returns. Did I mention how much grey there is?

Just... really not feeling it.
It won't be as good in art as XIII, but Nova Cystallia has stuff going for it.
The Ark is a remnant of that hi tech.
Luxerion is gothic, has that big church thing.
Yusaan has some urban looking areas, in one shot it reminded me of Midgar.
The Dunes has the ruin looking things they haven't detailed and the oasis.
The Wildlands have the moogle village, the crystal looking caves, the ruins of academia, Valhalla, and etro's temple.

Sub_Level

Nope. But they form a bond that seems to continue in LR. What do think of XIII so far?

I was 14 when I first saw the E3 2005 trailer for the game and it was my most hyped game ever other than MGS4. Imported the Advent Children Japanese demo for $100, and then a year or so later imported the Japanese game for around the same amount because I couldn't wait. Played it for 5 hours and put it away disappointed and jaded. I'm 22 now and going into the game with no grand expectations has done wonders for finding what's actually good about it. No longer am I looking for some grand life-changing tale that my edgy teenager self wanted. Instead I am more than content to relegate it to a fairly typical anime romp with some truly interesting art design and great music.

Currently 11 hours in at the Whitewood. It doesn't feel as tight as other FFs which is quite an achievement considering how constraining the game is. Feels rushed and incomplete in many ways. Instead of minimalist, the word that comes to mind with respect to the dungeon design is one with a more negative connotation: barren. But somehow it ends up being a struggle for me to really give a shit. Just all in all a very chill, relaxing game to play. Do tougher fights become available later? Because so far the most demanding thing the game has asked me to do is sometimes cast Protect or Shell at the beginning of a battle and then go back to mashing attack/cast attack/cast attack/cast repeat.

edit: Also I forgot to mention how much I enjoy reading the Datalog and item descriptions. Whoever wrote that shit did a good job. There's such a disconnect between how the backstory makes it all sound like a heavy nuanced sci-fi story and what the game actually is. PROTO ECOLOGY BELT lol!

Wazzy

Banned
FFXIII

But..he's like 14. I wouldn't mind them as an item if it were to happen in LR, though.

Do tougher fights become available later?

It gets harder especially some of the boss fights, hunts, and those turtles.

edit: Also I forgot to mention how much I enjoy reading the Datalog and item descriptions. Whoever wrote that shit did a good job. There's such a disconnect between how the backstory makes it all sound like a heavy nuanced sci-fi story and what the game actually is. PROTO ECOLOGY BELT lol!
The Datalog is very interesting and well done. So is the on in XIII-2.

Wazzy

Banned
He's still 14 in LR.

>_>

Oh well barf then.

As for the
Vanille returning, who's really surprised? :p I might actually buy LR if something finally happens between Fang and Vanille. Doubtful but you never know.
The other thing is an VIII costume.

We can never ever be friends now.

Hope is lucky to have Light "care" about him.

tumblr_mgwrciTD2G1r8uo3io1_500.png

He's still 14 in LR.

>_>

With the mind of the Adult Hope. haha

But..he's like 14. I wouldn't mind them as an item if it were to happen in LR, though.

NO! NO! BAD WAZZY! BAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD!!!!!

Even in XIII-2 at 27 Hope hero worshiped Lightning and got puppy dog eyes whenever he talked about her. It's an Older sister/younger brother relationship with Toriyama even saying in an interview "she's proud of Hope kinda like a mother would be".

I would accept Lightning and Snow hooking up before I would accept Lightning and Hope.

Shame on you, Sub_Level, for bringing it up! SHAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEE!!!!!

CorvoSol

Everyone knows the only true pairing is Lightning and Firion anyway. Hope can't compete with a man who, lacking super powers of any kind, went and killed The Devil with his BARE HANDS. Plus all that stuff about saving his flower for her and all.

Wazzy

Banned
NO! NO! BAD WAZZY! BAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD!!!!!

Even in XIII-2 at 27 Hope hero worshiped Lightning and got puppy dog eyes whenever he talked about her. It's an Older sister/younger brother relationship with Toriyama even saying in an interview "she's proud of Hope kinda like a mother would be".

I would accept Lightning and Snow hooking up before I would accept Lightning and Hope.

Shame on you, Sub_Level, for bringing it up! SHAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEE!!!!!

Yeah but anything to keep Hope from hooking up with Vanille, ya know? FangxVanille all the way. :'D

Everyone knows the only true pairing is Lightning and Firion anyway. Hope can't compete with a man who, lacking super powers of any kind, went and killed The Devil with his BARE HANDS. Plus all that stuff about saving his flower for her and all.

Light likes to "help" the younger ones. She also asked Onion Knight if he wanted her to "toughen" him up as well as wanting to give Squall a "lesson".

CorvoSol

Light likes to "help" the younger ones. She also asked Onion Knight if he wanted her to "toughen" him up as well as wanting to give Squall a "lesson".

But I don't think Firion is "younger" than Lightning to the extent that Luneth would be. Besides, Luneth also does a lot of "protecting" Terra and their relationship is hardly romantic.

If anyone suggests a pairing from Dissidia for Terra that isn't Cecil or Jecht I will cut you. Terra x Jecht is best, but I'll take my two favorites as well.

But I don't think Firion is "younger" than Lightning to the extent that Luneth would be. Besides, Luneth also does a lot of "protecting" Terra and their relationship is hardly romantic.

If anyone suggests a pairing from Dissidia for Terra that isn't Cecil or Jecht I will cut you. Terra x Jecht is best, but I'll take my two favorites as well.
Of course not, but he as well as Squall are teenagers.

What about Terra x Vaan? hahaha

CorvoSol

Of course not, but he as well as Squall are teenagers.

What about Terra x Vaan? hahaha

NO. NO.

FUCK NO.

Terra only likes muscly men. This is why she comments on Sabin's appearances and ignore's Edgars. Edgar is his identical twin, but not a beefcake, so Terra notices Sabin instead. She cozies up to Leo cuz he's beefy. Jecht? Beefy.

Cecil's not so beefy but 1) he has a weakness for Greenhaired women, and 2)what woman has ever resisted Sex King Cecil?

Wazzy

Banned
So far I'm predicting a lot of things in Xenoblade and yet it hasn't ruined my enjoyment. I'm generally glad they're all happening. The big two I predicted was
Fiora and Gadolt being alive and turned into faces

Anyway back OT: I really need to try and finish TA2. It's bad but...I have to.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm at Sword Valley now. Thought I could take on lvl 52 Mechon thing. Mistake. So I ran past it before I kicked the curb.

I really like Xenoblade.

-----------------

Anyway. I've always wanted a FF protag that specialized in an axe and only find that it happened in MMO only FFXIV game. :I

Wazzy

Banned
It seems like most gamig protagonist's have either guns or swords, ain't exclusive to FF. An axe or spear would be cool.

CorvoSol

But she totally turned him into a piggy because she hated him, though. And the old lady laughed at him because he was turned into a piggy.

Uh, did you miss the part where the dominatrix set literally turns you into a pig? BDSM is just that much kinkier in Cecil's world. He was experimenting. It was his college years and he was getting to know himself. It was a wild night that ended with him on the edge of town, without his clothes.

He probably went on a bender with some black mages and spray painted "Alchemy House RULEZ" on the side of the Elder's personal pad, at which point he emerged in a towel and a shower cap and shouted, "I'll get you yet, Alchemy House!!"

Wazzy

Banned
Uh, did you miss the part where the dominatrix set literally turns you into a pig? BDSM is just that much kinkier in Cecil's world. He was experimenting. It was his college years and he was getting to know himself. It was a wild night that ended with him on the edge of town, without his clothes.

He probably went on a bender with some black mages and spray painted "Alchemy House RULEZ" on the side of the Elder's personal pad, at which point he emerged in a towel and a shower cap and shouted, "I'll get you yet, Alchemy House!!"
Is this one of your FF IV fanfics?

Sub_Level

It seems like most gamig protagonist's have either guns or swords, ain't exclusive to FF. An axe or spear would be cool.

Or more customizable guns. AA12 with alternating Fire and Blizzard rounds. .50 cal sniper rifle enchanted with tungsten Lvl. 5 Death. One of the Summons would be a carpet bombing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Corvo, I'm starting to think you made the story up for Final Fantasy IV as you went through with it because you were secretly dissatisfied with how vanilla it was when you'd first played through it. :p

CorvoSol

Hot. Send me chapter 2.

Chapter 2 is that Cecil becomes the Sexemperor of the world. Also the Elder never gets revenge on Alchemy House, not even when, years later, Palom joins.

Corvo, I'm starting to think you made the story up for Final Fantasy IV as you went through with it because you were secretly dissatisfied with how vanilla it was when you'd first played through it. :p

Or I've just played it so many times that it's funnier this way. I'm like those people who do the "Children's show X is about a kid with autism/cancer/death" except instead I got "favorite childhood video game X is about how the hero is actually a loveable douchebag."

Top Bottom