• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Wazzy

Banned
Today I had my best day with ARR since launch...
I've been able to met my Waifu T.T

When she was walking away I kept on yelling "waifu please, take me with yaaaaa ~ " then she left, disappeared, leaving the whole of Eorzea to solitude.

What a blast.

Thanks Toriyama.
:lol :lol

I've been having an awful week but your post just cheered me up.

Who else plans to spoil LR for themselves? I was thinking of waiting until the English release but now I just want to find out what's going to happen.

:lol :lol

I've been having an awful week but your post just cheered me up.

Who else plans to spoil LR for themselves? I was thinking of waiting until the English release but now I just want to find out what's going to happen.

Just... don't trust any of the rumors coming out. Honestly, if DmC taught me anything, it's to never listen to the rumors. Fuckin' Dinosaur Vergil, man.

jaxword

Toriyama loves dressup. We all know.

The only people who act surprised and aghast these days are the same people who would watch Jerry Springer or something and act all shocked and amazed every episode.

Is it a cultural thing for people to say "Please enjoy this" or "Please look forward" cuz Hideki Kamiya in the Bayonetta commentary was full of this as well. It sound awkward in English, though it may just be a literal translation of "I hope you enjoy it".

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish we had a "say something positive about FFXIII" day... Or maybe we can have a "say something positive about Dirge of Cerberus" day too.

FFXIII - I liked the entire presentation and feel of the game (menus, battle speed, environments, control feel). If the maps were more open ala FFX and the story would be more straight to the point without blabber and stuff, it would have been in my top 5 FF games.

CorvoSol

I will be sadistically amused if XV turns out to have worse reception than XIII what with all the shaft working of Normura as the next "savior" of FF.

HE GAVE US THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU. Isn't that enough for the rest of his life, man?

Type-0 gave us panties. Superior FNC game continues to be the superior FNC game.

I wish we had a "say something positive about FFXIII" day... Or maybe we can have a "say something positive about Dirge of Cerberus" day too.

FFXIII - I liked the entire presentation and feel of the game (menus, battle speed, environments, control feel). If the maps were more open ala FFX and the story would be more straight to the point without blabber and stuff, it would have been in my top 5 FF games.

Okay fine, here is what I have positive to say about FFXIII:

Gran Pulse. That part of the game. If the whole game could've been that open, that would've been flipping amazing. Lightning and Fang. I know some people hated her then, but in XIII Lightning was great for me. Fang has always been great. Staggering and Paradigm Shifting. The pacing of battle and these two elements were the strong suits of the actual game play. The Music. XIII's OST is amazing. The mythology. I actually really loved the FNC mythos until XIII-2 shat on it.

And here's FFXIII-2. Stupid Serah. Jump when you want. Them Colosseum battles.

Wazzy

Banned
I actually really liked XIII even though I acknowledge it's flaws. It's what comes after with XIII-2 and LR that makes me hate the series.

But to stay more positive, I like XIII's battle system, music and Gran Pulse.

Xux

FFXIII had some good songs...even if a lot of them don't fit what's happening.

I liked Sazh and Fang. Some of the areas looked cool.

But.../sigh

frequency

FFXIII is in my top 5 and it has probably my favourite cast in the series.

I thought after all this time I would get used to the negativity towards it. I haven't. It makes me sad that every thread that has anything to do with Final Fantasy needs to have at least one conversation within about FFXIII being the worst thing ever.

FFXIII-2 has the soundtrack of the generation. Noel is the best Final Fantasy protagonist.

FFXIII had some good songs...even if a lot of them don't fit what's happening.

I feel like that's Hamauzu's problem.

He often just composes whatever instead of trying to make it fit with the tone and aesthetic of what you are seeing on screen.

The only games where I though his music fit perfectly were SaGa Frontier 2, which is phenomenal, and Sigma Harmonics.

Xux

FFXIII is in my top 5 and it has probably my favourite cast in the series.

I thought after all this time I would get used to the negativity towards it. I haven't. It makes me sad that every thread that has anything to do with Final Fantasy needs to have at least one conversation within about FFXIII being the worst thing ever.

FFXIII-2 has the soundtrack of the generation. Noel is the best Final Fantasy protagonist.
I feel like I've tried pretty hard to like it but, at the same time, it's almost as hard for me to find much real difference between it and the FF games I love. It's like the game's a weird enigma eating away at my soul.

Short list (maybe will go in depth later):

XIII - Loved the character design, art direction, sound track, and overall visuals. Liked the battle system. Appreciated the underlying concepts of the story (though was disappointed in actual execution).

XIII-2 - Well, the OST has been gradually growing on me. I liked Noel and his VA. Yeah, that's all I got.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
My turn!

XIII) Loved everything about the game. Art direction and music tops all the other elements though, together with XII the most stylish ff to date imho. General story and cast are also among my favorites and BS is rocking solid and arcade-ish in the feeling. In my top 3 favorite ff evah.
Also Lightning.

XIII-2) Mh... mixed feelings. I like the OST and part of the story/characters, but the (bad) style for most of it killed it for me. It really seemed a Star Ocean/Tri-Ace game and after XIII I felt a bit unimpressed. Luckily LR: XIII goes back to some style and while not being close to XIII it still feel very FFish while xiii-2 seemed a game by another company and series. One of my least favorite entries btw in the series together with X-2 and DoC.
Also Lightning (or how they ruined a cool character)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey, I liked jumping Serah.

Maybe we can get a jumping Lulu next time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just think it's disappointing that I've just become indifferent to a series I've loved since I was a little kid watching my cousins bullshit their way through FF1 then doing it myself. It was weird to me not being hyped for any of the FF13 games until the very last minute (ie: the day before either of them came out). I don't think I was hyped for FF12 before it came out, either. The last two games I was hyped for were FFX and FFX-2, and FFX was only because I got it early. FFX-2 was obviously because it had a job system.

To be honest, I think my heavy interest in the series started waning after FFX or so (with FFX-2 being a grand exception) upon ultimately realizing that what the games offered wasn't going to be the biggest thing that I looked for in RPGs anymore. And that still seems to be the case.

Hey, I liked jumping Serah.

Maybe we can get a jumping Lulu next time.
I know you're joking, but that bad excuse for a final dungeon was an affront to platformer design and dungeon designs everywhere. I'm serious. It may look pretty and shiny but lordy, it doesn't excuse the dungeon design from being poorly functional and incoherent. Looking pretty can only get you so far in terms of game design.

Especially with that truncated-looking jump animation. God, that thing looked like it had no momentum behind it. Even Yuna had a better jump animation than either of Noel's or Serah's, which says something.

Sinople

I've started playing XIII-2. I won't make a lttp thread because I don't think I'll comment much about it (and I don't want my first thread to be XIII related...)

Some impressions after 1~2 hours:
- The intro is pretty cool, even if it's not making much sense.
- Graphics are a downgrade compared to XIII? I remember being wowed by the first one but that was my first HD game and that was 4 years ago, I may not remember well.
- FPS is noticeably low during some parts.
- It lacks a lot of polish overall, but I guess it can't be helped.
- The first playable scene with Sera is very chaotic and clunky.
- The story don't make sense, the writing is bad, things are shoehorned in the worst way possible (clothes magically change, yeah). I'm almost angry at how lazy the whole thing is set up and confusing for the sake of confusion.
- Did I say how cheesy the writing is (even in Japanese). I'm sure the first one wasn't that bad.
- Music is not bad but nothing impressive and it feels wrong, like it's not matching the atmosphere.
- I don't see the point of having a button dedicated to jump.
- The moogle watch or whatever it's called is terrible. It's like enemies are popping out of nowhere.
- Does the live action thing matter in the end?
- I like the battle system, the best (only good?) thing for now. It doesn't look much different from XIII though.
- I like the QTE, they're well implemented imo, contrary to games like Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza where they're just terrible.

That's all for now.
I wasn't expecting much and was still disappointed, ha ha.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Type-0 gave us panties. Superior FNC game continues to be the superior FNC game.

It also gave us GILGAMESH emulating a mixture of Mazinkaiser and Sanger Zanvolt while being voiced by Kazuya Nakai.

And yes we were given many different characters with emphasis on what underwear they have on. Except Seven. Wearing shorts all the time. All to spite the inner perv.

And Type 0 has a decent story. Mostly.

And they gave us Kurasame Susaya. The Cloud Strife we wanted but didn't deserve. And actually has a cool name.

frequency

I feel like I've tried pretty hard to like it but, at the same time, it's almost as hard for me to find much real difference between it and the FF games I love. It's like the game's a weird enigma eating away at my soul.

Sometimes you just don't like something. That's fine. I don't demand everyone love FFXIII as I do. I just get sad that people won't stop trashing it. There are a LOT of games I dislike too but I don't go into every thread to shout loudly how it's the worst thing ever.

FFXIII has received non-stop vitriol since release. Everyone for some reason feels like they need to let everyone else know at every opportunity how much they hate it.

And that makes me sad. To see something I love getting trashed on a daily basis for years.

I am used to people disliking things I love and mocking them on occasion (Dynasty Warriors for example). I tend to have a different taste than most people here on NeoGAF. But what has happened with FFXIII is a whole new level of negativity. I can't even go into any FFXIII threads anymore to discuss the topic because they are guaranteed to be filled with people saying how terrible it is.

CorvoSol

It also gave us GILGAMESH emulating a mixture of Mazinkaiser and Sanger Zanvolt while being voiced by Kazuya Nakai.

And yes we were given many different characters with emphasis on what underwear they have on. Except Seven. Wearing shorts all the time. All to spite the inner perv.

And Type 0 has a decent story. Mostly.

And they gave us Kurasame Susaya. The Cloud Strife we wanted but didn't deserve. And actually has a cool name.

Seven's bike shorts > all the panties anyway. Type-0 was so awesome. Best FF in years.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Seven's bike shorts > all the panties anyway. Type-0 was so awesome. Best FF in years.

Only Japan and select few people who aren't moonrune fearing chickenwusses got to enjoy it though. And now Square wants to introduce it to us most likely in the form of Dating Sim war game. Much like the whole Visual novel ordeal Hakuoki or whatever Samurai thing is.

:/

Xux

I simply can't see it being worse than the XIII trilogy.
There seem to be plenty of people that don't want to touch for not having a turn-based system and having a cast that puts effort into their appearance.

Nomura seems to always do pretty good when he's actually involved with more than character design so I guess I'm hyped for the next seven years waiting for this to come out.

Labadal

There seem to be plenty of people that don't want to touch for not having a turn-based system and having a cast that puts effort into their appearance.

Nomura seems to always do pretty good when he's actually involved with more that character design so I guess I'm hyped for the next seven years waiting for this to come out.

I actually am one of the people that wants a turn-based battle system, but I'll be the first to admit if the combat is good even if it is action based.

CorvoSol

Only Japan and select few people who aren't moonrune fearing chickenwusses got to enjoy it though. And now Square wants to introduce it to us most likely in the form of Dating Sim war game. Much like the whole Visual novel ordeal Hakuoki or whatever Samurai thing is.

:/

A shame, really, because there were few things as satisfying as seeing that red ring, nailing the hit, and then seeing the blood spray as some super jerkass boss exploded in agony. I used to grind in that cave full of Behemoths on the border between the central continent and Milites and bringing those things down was awesome. That and Marlboro hunts.

The underage panty quest joke is becoming a reality.

Embrace your pantsu overlords.

So about the "We intend to make Dissidia 3"...

At first I was like "Fuck Yeah!"

Then I was like "But the script will probably be written by Daisuke Watanabe..."

And I ended up being all "Meh".

Seriously though, I really hope they get someone else other than Watanabe. He's very hit or miss for me, more miss than hit.

It doesn't matter who writes the script. The neat thing about Dissidia is that because of how the recurring war works, you could write almost any story for a sequel and it would end up working anyways.

It doesn't matter who writes the script. The neat thing about Dissidia is that because of how the recurring war works, you could write almost any story for a sequel and it would end up working anyways.

And because of that it actually DOES matter who writes the script, because we don't need Naval Gazening 5: The Monologuing.

jaxword

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/disney-princesses-transformed-into-final-fantasy-classes

yVIFSKA.jpg

Sinople

I'm sorry but could you explain why you feel they are well implemented?

First, I want to say I like QTE because they give tension to what would otherwise be simple cut-scenes. I loved Shenmue in part thanks to them. Heck, I wouldn't mind a game only comprised of them (Azura's Wrath is high in my "to play" list).

From what I've played, I feel they're well implemented in XIII-2 because: 1, there's an indication telling you when you can expect them so you're not taken by surprise and 2, the timing to press buttons is pretty forgiving, I haven't miss a single one, so they're not frustrating.
I have a bad memory of Ryu ga Gotoku 2's QTE because they were sparse and coming out of nowhere. And even when I knew it was coming, the timing was so short I failed many times, resulting in some very frustrating Game Over (that last boss >_<).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well peeps. I beat Lorithia in Xenoblade. Finally. Now the game is fun again.

---------------

As far as I'm concerned...Dissidia goes like this...

Dissidia > Duodecim > Theatrhythm > Curtain Call > Game people want to make

So it would be Dissidia 5. Give or take.

First, I want to say I like QTE because they give tension to what would otherwise be simple cut-scenes. I loved Shenmue in part thanks to them. Heck, I wouldn't mind a game only comprised of them (Azura's Wrath is high in my "to play" list).

From what I've played, I feel they're well implemented in XIII-2 because: 1, there's an indication telling you when you can expect them so you're not taken by surprise and 2, the timing to press buttons is pretty forgiving, I haven't miss a single one, so they're not frustrating.
I have a bad memory of Ryu ga Gotoku 2's QTE because they were sparse and coming out of nowhere. And even when I knew it was coming, the timing was so short I failed many times, resulting in some very frustrating Game Over (that last boss >_<).

I see.

Wazzy

Banned
Well peeps. I beat Lorithia in Xenoblade. Finally. Now the game is fun again.

---------------

As far as I'm concerned...Dissidia goes like this...

Dissidia > Duodecim > Theatrhythm > Curtain Call > Game people want to make

So it would be Dissidia 5. Give or take.
I still need to get around to beating her. Ugh because of her I took a break from Xenoblade and haven't gone back :(

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I still need to get around to beating her. Ugh because of her I took a break from Xenoblade and haven't gone back :(

I decided to level to 76 and since I sucked with Melia I brute forced it by taking out the nebula's and then attack her, rinse and repeat. It can get hectic though. And sometimes it's hard to see what's going on.

CorvoSol

That Spoiler Boss Fight is rough, but I tell you it is all uphill from there. Basically you gotta grind to match Boss Levels for the rest of the game. Lucky you. Still, the end of that game was SO worth it.

Anyway RE: the Disney Princess picture, I hate that Mulan, one of the only ones to wield a Sword, doesn't get the Knight Class. That WAS what she did. Also while I like Ariel and love Red Mages, girl used tools and song as her motifs. Engineer or Songstress were the classes for her.

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah I'll try and force myself back since I know the game is worth it. It's just Pokemon an Phoenix Wright have kept me away.

Labadal

Out of curiosity, how many of you are buying Bravely Default? Once I saw the first screens and read the first details, I wanted it. Having played the demo, I want it in my hands right now. It's basically a great tribute to older Final Fantasy titles with some streamlined options that makes it even better. It basically made me not too bothered about FFXIII LR. Seems like it might be the replacement for Final Fantasy I have been waiting for.

CorvoSol

Out of curiosity, how many of you are buying Bravely Default? Once I saw the first screens and read the first details, I wanted it. Having played the demo, I want it in my hands right now. It's basically a great tribute to older Final Fantasy titles with some streamlined options that makes it even better. It basically made me not too bothered about FFXIII LR. Seems like it might be the replacement for Final Fantasy I have been waiting for.

I wish i was europe so i could play this year.

Top Bottom