• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Jucksalbe

Banned
So, from what I could make out between all those spoiler tags on the last two pages of the LR import thread, this is a case of "don't buy it at launch". Or is it even worse than that?

So, from what I could make out between all those spoiler tags on the last two pages of the LR import thread, this is a case of "don't buy it at launch". Or is it even worse than that?

I don't think it's a sixty dollar product, but hell if you have nothing to play it's no Sonic 06.

Heropon

I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop before buying that game. That's a lesson I learned when I bought XIII-2 at launch and then the price dropped like a rock in no time.

Heropon

I thought about spicing this thread with a little of character discussion and that's how the idea of Character of the Week was born. The chosen for this experiment is one of this board's fan favourites:

haXLp8a.png

Related themes:

7zMev.png
Theme of Love (Original)
7zMev.png
Theme of Love (Arranged)

Profile:
  • Name: Rosa Joanna Farrell
  • Show biz appearances: Final Fantasy IV and The After Years
  • Birthplace: Baron
  • Jobs: Archer, white mage, damsel in distress and queen.
  • Hair color: Blonde (natural)
  • Likes: The color white, Cecil, praying, spikes and dangerous situations.
  • Dislikes: Being kidnapped, cold places and physical attacks.
  • Weapons of choice: Bow and arrows, and staves.

The origins:
Rosa was the daughter of a couple of generic NPCs
xIa2il4.gif
Xv5h2NS.gif
of the town of Baron within the kingdom of the same name. When she was a little girl she visited the castle a bit too much thanks to her father's job (he was a soldier as the sprite shows) and there's where she met her love interest Cecil and his best friend Kain. She would later take archery lessons but she stopped her training because she wasn't good at all to protect her loved Cecil as a white mage. Meanwhile, she was oblivious to the feelings that Kain was developing towards her.

Character overview:

Rosa's personality is extremely one dimensional, we could label she just as Cecil's girlfriend and we wouldn't be leaving too many of her personality traits aside as evidenced by her in game actions and how the focus of her thoughts and attitudes is always on Cecil. Apart from having clearly personality issues (lack of personality is an issue, isn't it?), her relationship isn't as idyllic as she'd want it to be: Cecil constantly goes on mysterious trips to Troia without her company and buys expensive gear for the other female teammate Rydia. He also ignores constantly Rosa's importance to the group in terms of making them actually survive when they go on adventures and tells her to talk to the hand when she has differing opinions. It's a shame she hasn't considered doing a strike just so he could appreaciate her a lot more, but such is the pain of not having what it takes to make people be a bit more respectful.

Battle overview:

Rosa's role in battle is acting as the healer and she does a hell of a good work in that department. What she lacks of self respect she makes up with her battle effectiveness and becomes the most important party member in vanilla FFIV thanks to being the only character that can heal well in a regular basis without using expensive elixirs. Having at her disposal the majority of the game's support skills and being one of the only characters that could be seen as versatile add many points to her already huge portfolio in the world monster slaying. The only bad thing about her is her supposedly specialty in bows and how bad she is at it; luckily people shouldn't need to waste time practising her aim because she's really busy casting magic usually and when she isn't it's just better to let her pray (if the game allows it).

In the DS version Rosa should hoard the majority of the magic related augments to increase her already amazing help towards the group's survivability, notably the Dualcast one to improve the effectiveness of her spell arsenal in multiple ways (Cura x2 heals about the same as Curaga and takes less time to cast) and Omnicasting so all the party can be buffed at the same time (Haste -> Hastega is wonderful).

About The After Years... what's that?

And now is the part everyone loves, ratings!

Personality: ★★☆☆☆
Design: ★★☆☆☆
Gameplay: ★★★★★

Overall: ★★★☆☆

Overall, Rosa is a pretty flawed character but I suppose that's part of her charm and why she has fans all over the world including some notable members of this very same forum.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Notable members like who? >:O

Either way, good post. I like the idea of it just because the premise you set forth not to be completely serious about it.

Y'all know how I feel about Rosa. And every other character in FF4 minus Kain and Golbez.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You guys are silly. :p

Don't try to hide it, she's one of your favourites. And thanks for saying it was a good post, it took my time to do it, specially the banner.
Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with it. Good work. :)

You know how I feel about Beer Rosa. Rosa's terrible outside of being a White Mage. She's one-dimensional and is just Cecil's Obedient and Loving Girlfriend.

e78WG.png

We’ve just got a new party member so let’s check her out. First let’s arrange our party a little more. We have more people to put in the back row so we have to shuffle Batman around. Please notice how low Rosa’s start level is. I thought she was the cream of the crop from what the Baronians were saying.

8CzGr.png
QkVCV.png
3yBFc.png

Her Will stat is so much higher than everyone else’s for good reason. Rosa has a few White Magic spells as expected of a White Wizard. Considering this version calls her a Wizard, and since she seems to be a high rank, she should have more spells than that. Peep is FFII US’s version of Scan (they could easily have called it Scan here and I don’t see why they didn’t). Slow reduces enemies’ speed and it pretty much affects everything. You don’t need to use it in this version much, but it’s very helpful to have.

There are also several White Magic spells missing in this version, but I’ll talk about that at a later time.

She comes armed with a bow and arrows. In this version, arrows are finite, so you have to keep some on-hand at all times.

4hY5I.png
XMpAR.png

Based on her class description, Beer is the cure for everything: she’s the party’s White Mage. White Wizard. She’ll have a full set of White magic spells by the end of the game, including Holy White. She also has another command called “Aim”. This is what those arrows were for. Aim will ensure that Beer will hit the enemy with her arrows 100% of the time. It doesn’t always ensure a crit, and it doesn’t always hit harder. Its most obvious function is to improve accuracy. This version ditches her Pray command either because they found it useless or it’s because of censorship.

It’s just too bad that you’ll mostly be dealing offensive damage with everyone else except her, so it isn’t really worth it to use it sometimes unless you’re fighting flying enemies. She doesn’t really add that much outside of being solely a white mage. Her archer skills aren’t that awesome because Aim ensures a hit and maybe powers the hit up a little (but in this version, arrows are finite). Even if she had a !Barehanded skill or something like that, she still wouldn’t be very good. If we really want to, though, we could use Aim in this version to retaliate against some bosses who counter because Aim doesn’t count as a physical.

It makes me wonder if she wanted to be an archer/Ranger originally and then she fell so hard for Batman that she took up White Magic as her primary class. It’s sorta silly; Rosa could have been a decent character if she had some sort of internal struggle like that (even if the motivation is really stupid).

Too long didn't read version: Rosa sucks as a character because she was born to two generic NPCs, barely has any character development because she got over the fact that her boyfriend is a Dark Knight puppet of the King, and Cecil basically tells her that she sucks towards the end of the game by revealing to her that he's a misogynist.

I'm trying to play Final Fantasy Tactics on my vita, but holy smokes do I suck at that game. I keep losing the (I think) last battle of Chapter 1. I have a time mage (with black magic), a knight, a chemist, and Ramza is a thief.

Is this game really hard or do I just suck?

CorvoSol

I'm not gonna lie, Rosa's sort of so flat a love interest that in my head Cecil should always pair off with Rydia instead. She deserves props, though, in that she's sort of the benchmark or low water mark for all future love interests. As in, "Is she better than Rosa?" sort of thing. Not because Rosa is offensive, but because she's pretty bland.

I'm trying to play Final Fantasy Tactics on my vita, but holy smokes do I suck at that game. I keep losing the (I think) last battle of Chapter 1. I have a time mage (with black magic), a knight, a chemist, and Ramza is a thief.

In the beginning the game is rather difficult, you don't suck.

CorvoSol

Game is just hard at points. Always make sure to have some good jobs going, 'cuz certain points can be really hard. I'm actually insane so I grind to have Ramza as a Dark Knight by the end of chapter 1. Because I'm insane.

Heropon

Game is just hard at points. Always make sure to have some good jobs going, 'cuz certain points can be really hard. I'm actually insane so I grind to have Ramza as a Dark Knight by the end of chapter 1. Because I'm insane.

I suppose that while you're at it you get an arithmetician, right?!

About the character of the week, I'm really happy about the comments. It was partially inspired by Sciz's excellent Song of the Day in the Sonic community thread and because I wanted to contribute a bit more to this forum after not posting much the last few months. About future characters of the week, we could make this a collaborative effort and another member can do the next one. If no one wants, I'll do it but I need character ideas or the help of one of those randomizing webs.

I'm not gonna lie, Rosa's sort of so flat a love interest that in my head Cecil should always pair off with Rydia instead. She deserves props, though, in that she's sort of the benchmark or low water mark for all future love interests. As in, "Is she better than Rosa?" sort of thing. Not because Rosa is offensive, but because she's pretty bland.

Thanks to your insane fanfiction I imagine that Cecil gives Rydia the Minerva Bustier to equip. Look what you have done!

Rosa is actually a very flat character period. It seems the main though process that goes in her head is...GO WITH CECIL. That's it. What are her motivations, interests...what not? It's all about Cecil, Cecil, CECIL. We even had to bother with a boss because she followed Cecil like a magnet after he left the kingdom and got hurt.

That aside, when can I stick Schala with the Rosa avy again...=D

Heropon

I don't think you can lure her to do another avatar bet when there's the risk of getting that kind of avatar, but I admit that the idea of seeing her with that thing again is certainly entertaining.

About that, what was the bet she did to get that punishment? I don't remember.

CorvoSol

I suppose that while you're at it you get an arithmetician, right?!

Thanks to your insane fanfiction I imagine that Cecil gives Rydia the Minerva Bustier to equip. Look what you have done!

1) Of course I do. I mean, if I'm building up one character an absurd amount, might as well, two. Also I make sure to get a Dancer.

2) Queen set, to remind him of his time in Alchemy House.

Rosa is actually a very flat character period. It seems the main though process that goes in her head is...GO WITH CECIL. That's it. What are her motivations, interests...what not? It's all about Cecil, Cecil, CECIL. We even had to bother with a boss because she followed Cecil like a magnet after he left the kingdom and got hurt.

It's still better than if she were asking where Lightning was.

Playing through FFV, I'm really beginning to suspect that Square intentionally tried to mirror an Ex-Death like villain with Ultimecia in FFVIII, especially with the Time Compressed World in VIII and the Rift in Space in V. Even the Final Battle is reminiscent of the ones on the Super Nintendo in the end.

PK Gaming

I thought about spicing this thread with a little of character discussion and that's how the idea of Character of the Week was born. The chosen for this experiment is one of this board's fan favourites:

haXLp8a.png
Oh man that was awesome, I can't wait for next week's character.

How long did it take you to make that?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Playing through FFV, I'm really beginning to suspect that Square intentionally tried to mirror an Ex-Death like villain with Ultimecia in FFVIII, especially with the Time Compressed World in VIII and the Rift in Space in V. Even the Final Battle is reminiscent of the ones on the Super Nintendo in the end.

Well ExDeath and Ultimecia are the strongest villains.

Nonexistence vs. Existence

Nothingness vs. Absorption of Existence

Great parallels when you think about it.

Heropon

Oh man that was awesome, I can't wait for next week's character.

How long did it take you to make that?

The post took me five hours to make but it wasn't the center of my attention all the time because I lurked other threads, ate chocolate with churros and had dinner in the meantime.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Notable members like who? >:O

Either way, good post. I like the idea of it just because the premise you set forth not to be completely serious about it.

Y'all know how I feel about Rosa. And every other character in FF4 minus Kain and Golbez.

When I think of Rosa, I think of Dark Schala.

Maybe I should rename Rosa to Dark Schala in my next FFIV playthrough...

Wazzy

Banned
I dislike Rosa. She's boring and only cares about Cecil and what Cecil's doing and where's Cecil. Gurl needs a mind of her own.

This character of the week is cool. I can't wait to see who's next.

Ewww whyyyyyyy.

First, Rydia/Edge is the best, second, Cecil met her as a kid. It'd be weird for him to have a romantic interest in her.

CorvoSol

I dislike Rosa. She's boring and only cares about Cecil and what Cecil's doing and where's Cecil. Gurl needs a mind of her own.

This character of the week is cool. I can't wait to see who's next.

Ewww whyyyyyyy.

First, Rydia/Edge is the best, second, Cecil met her as a kid. It'd be weird for him to have a romantic interest in her.

Because first: Rydia/Edge is never gonna happen. I mean she literally does not hook up with him for seventeen years. Second, time travel makes it okay. It's not like Cecil's feelings for her were ever strictly paternal. Third, Rydia actually challenges Cecil's "No girls on the boat" rule, and a little conflict spices the relationship right up.

Wazzy

Banned
Because first: Rydia/Edge is never gonna happen. I mean she literally does not hook up with him for seventeen years. Second, time travel makes it okay. It's not like Cecil's feelings for her were ever strictly paternal. Third, Rydia actually challenges Cecil's "No girls on the boat" rule, and a little conflict spices the relationship right up.

It's debatable on whether or not they'll happen and if she has feelings for him. Rydia cares for Edge but she puts the eidolons first.

Cecil's feelings may not have been only paternal but they weren't anything more than platonic.

CorvoSol

It's debatable on whether or not they'll happen and if she has feelings for him. Rydia cares for Edge but she puts the eidolons first.

Cecil's feelings may not have been only paternal but they weren't anything more than platonic.

Rydia doesn't reciprocate Edge's feelings for seventeen years. I'd say that debate is a closed one. And when Rosa announces she's pregnant, Cecil goes off on a trip with Rydia. "Platonic" indeed.

Which one? There are so many.

This is what happens when Cid is your dad.

Wazzy

Banned
Rydia doesn't reciprocate Edge's feelings for seventeen years. I'd say that debate is a closed one. And when Rosa announces she's pregnant, Cecil goes off on a trip with Rydia. "Platonic" indeed.

I was going to write more in the other post but I'm at work so I had to rush that all out. :(

Anyway, who's to say she doesn't reciprocate them? She might not outwardly return them and I think that comes from her priorities being focused on Mist being rebuilt and living with the eidolons but that doesn't mean she doesn't feel the same.

I have no idea what you're getting at with the trip between Rosa and Cecil. How is that not platonic?

CorvoSol

I was going to write more in the other post but I'm at work so I had to rush that all out. :(

Anyway, who's to say she doesn't reciprocate them? She might not outwardly return them and I think that comes from her priorities being focused on Mist being rebuilt and living with the eidolons but that doesn't mean she doesn't feel the same.

I have no idea what you're getting at with the trip between Rosa and Cecil. How is that not platonic?

1) In FF4DS Edge thinks a lot about Rydia, I'm fairly confident she does not do the same.

2) Seventeen years and they're not together.

3) Cecil's wife is pregnant and he ditches her to go travel with another woman. C'moooooon.

4) Rydia being interested in Cecil would explain why Edge is still single 17 years later. Heck, Cecil spends most of The After Years with a clone of Rydia, and when his wife finally takes her away, he pitches a fit and won't talk to anyone at all.

Cecil x Rydia = OTP. Edge = Forever Alone.

Wazzy

Banned
1) In FF4DS Edge thinks a lot about Rydia, I'm fairly confident she does not do the same.
Sure, in the DS version and even the original I think it's fair to say she probably didn't return his feelings. She was still mentaly young after all.

2) Seventeen years and they're not together.
That could easily be because their lives have prevented anything happening. He's a prince, she has to focus on the eidolons and mist, etc. The game even says they've been busy, paticularily Rydia.

3) Cecil's wife is pregnant and he ditches her to go travel with another woman. C'moooooon.
And? Where does says Cecil say he went on this trip because he has feelings for Rydia? You can be very close with someone and still be platonic.

4) Rydia being interested in Cecil would explain why Edge is still single 17 years later. Heck, Cecil spends most of The After Years with a clone of Rydia, and when his wife finally takes her away, he pitches a fit and won't talk to anyone at all.
Cecil cares deeply about Rydia. Their relationship started after he killed her mother and burnt down her village. I'm not seeing why this is romantic when he found her when she was a kid.

Cecil x Rydia = OTP. Edge = Forever Alone.

Stop posting your fanfic pairings. :p

I'll have to look into it but I also swear I read that in the ultimania it mentions Rydia has some form of affection for Edge.

CorvoSol

Sure, in the DS version and even the original I think it's fair to say she probably didn't return his feelings. She was still mentaly young after all.

Mentally young? No? That's something you're making up. Don't accuse others of peddling fan fic if you're going to do it yourself. Rydia aged in the Feymarch, body and brain.

That could easily be because their lives have prevented anything happening. He's a prince, she has to focus on the eidolons and mist, etc. The game even says they've been busy, paticularily Rydia.

Seventeen years preventing things from happening means there isn't anything left to happen. In seventeen years does Kain still have a chance with Rosa? No, so why would Edge have one with Rydia?

And? Where does says Cecil say he went on this trip because he has feelings for Rydia? You can be very close with someone and still be platonic.

Dude spends all his free time with another woman. Who runs around in a loin cloth. So platonic.

Cecil cares deeply about Rydia. Their relationship started after he killed her mother and burnt down her village. I'm not seeing why this is romantic when he found her when she was a kid.

Because the vast majority of the time Cecil's known Rydia, she's an adult. She was a kid for like, several weeks that he knew her, then he runs into her and she's a grown up. And she's a grown up for the next seventeen years of their relationship.

I'll have to look into it but I also swear I read that in the ultimania it mentions Rydia has some form of affection for Edge.

Ultimania's count about as much as apocrypha does to Biblical canon.

Wazzy

Banned
Mentally young? No? That's something you're making up. Don't accuse others of peddling fan fic if you're going to do it yourself. Rydia aged in the Feymarch, body and brain.
Hey hey I was just kidding around on the fanfic stuff. But you're right, I was wrong about her mentally being younger. I mean, she's still younger, but is mentally her age.

Seventeen years preventing things from happening means there isn't anything left to happen. In seventeen years does Kain still have a chance with Rosa? No, so why would Edge have one with Rydia?
17 years and Cecil never left Rosa for Rydia. I mean at this point there's more of a chance of Rydia and Edge since it's confirmed one of them has feelings for the other.

Dude spends all his free time with another woman. Who runs around in a loin cloth. So platonic.
Unless he's expressed interest in her then yes, it's platonic.

Because the vast majority of the time Cecil's known Rydia, she's an adult. She was a kid for like, several weeks that he knew her, then he runs into her and she's a grown up. And she's a grown up for the next seventeen years of their relationship.
Yes but he met her as a kid and it was long enough that for me I would find it weird if he had feelings for her. He felt responsible for her and it's a huge reason why he brought her with him. When she's grown up there's no hints of any romantic indication.

It's not even really up for debate. Cecil loves Rosa and Rosa loves Cecil.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's a clear fact that Cecil likes every lady that isn't Rosa. I mean every other girl eventually likes him and he gets circled by a few and gets turned into a pig or a toad a few times.

Of course Barbariccia had eyes for Kain but Kain wasn't interested.

-------------

FF4 has been released over and over so much that I could care less about the whole installment with the exception of Golbez who is best character in that game.

CorvoSol

17 years and Cecil never left Rosa for Rydia. I mean at this point there's more of a chance of Rydia and Edge since it's confirmed one of them has feelings for the other.

Kain has feelings for Rosa and it's never going anywhere. 1 + 0 does not 2 make.

It's not even really up for debate. Cecil loves Rosa and Rosa loves Cecil.

Who said anything about love? Cecil's just using Rydia. Probably to screw with Edge. Dude is literally king of the entire planet.

Top Bottom