• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

Crap.

Tales of the Assholes, more like.

I'll stop. I think it's well-established that I don't like TotA.

It's my first Tales game! If it sucks I WILL HATE THE FRANCHISE FOREVER.
I'm lying. That'd be like someone hating FF if they'd only ever played XIII.
They should've lucked out like Persona and SMT and given me amazing to decent games to experience first. Now the completely arbitrary selection process has left Tales in a rut.

I actually have no idea how the game's gonna be. I need to finish Sticker Star and Project X-Zone before it, and by the time I'm done with those I'll likely have Bravely Default, so it could still be awhile before I play Tales.

I laughed, have to admit.

Edit: While on the topic of Tales of the Abyss and in the interests of trying to get back on the topic of Final Fantasy, I must say that my only exposure to
TotA is this awesome Final Fantasy 7 remake of the intro. I would be more interested in playing TotA if I could play as FF7's cast.

Man that video reminded me of how much I love FF7. It's really a shame that FF7 got stuck with the bad pr/legacy that it did, because FF7 and all of the non-Genesis parts of Crisis Core were really a great setup.

Man that video reminded me of how much I love FF7. It's really a shame that FF7 got stuck with the bad pr/legacy that it did, because FF7 and all of the non-Genesis parts of Crisis Core were really a great setup.

Yeah, you said it. The whole Compilation of Final Fantasy VII thing damaged the original game's legacy. While on the topic of compilations, the whole Ivalice Alliance thing was dumb also. We all know the best game set in Ivalice: Final Fantasy Tactics. The rest of those Ivalice games were cool and all, but Tactics is still king.

XII a close second...

CorvoSol

Yeah, you said it. The whole Compilation of Final Fantasy VII thing damaged the original game's legacy. While on the topic of compilations, the whole Ivalice Alliance thing was dumb also. We all know the best game set in Ivalice: Final Fantasy Tactics. The rest of those Ivalice games were cool and all, but Tactics is still king.

XII a close second...

The weird thing is that the Compilation paints such a different picture of Cloud and company, making them all moody and dark when FF7 had a pretty good balance between being moody and being goofy. Crisis Core could've been great if they'd just cut out Genesis.

Voror

Wasn't Vagrant Story also in Ivalice? I remember reading that they all took place at different times in the history of that place?

I wonder if they could somehow combine the good parts of Crisis Core with VII into one game if that mythical VII remake were to ever happen. I suppose that would ruin some of the reveals, but pretty much everyone knows them by now.

Wasn't Vagrant Story also in Ivalice? I remember reading that they all took place at different times in the history of that place?

It has references to Ivalice, but it's actual setting is a kingdom called Valeria. Not to be confused with Tactics Ogre's Valendia.

The weird thing is that the Compilation paints such a different picture of Cloud and company, making them all moody and dark when FF7 had a pretty good balance between being moody and being goofy. Crisis Core could've been great if they'd just cut out Genesis.

Yup, well said. People forget that the cast was super quirky and funny at times in the original game. In general FF7 had tons of lighthearted and goofy moments, which made the characters more endearing.

Genesis felt out of place, I thought he was a wannabe Sephiroth.

CorvoSol

Yup, well said. People forget that the cast was super quirky and funny at times in the original game. In general FF7 had tons of lighthearted and goofy moments, which made the characters more endearing.

I always call Genesis Red Sephiroth because that's all he was.

Voror

What's disappointing is that some of the later media made some people forget what the characters actually were like before all the moping or at least that seems to happen with some.

I confess I'm glad that they said there will be some humor in XV. I'd rather the game wasn't a serious downer the whole way through.

I always call Genesis Red Sephiroth because that's all he was.

But he read poetry! That's a huge difference!

What's disappointing is that some of the later media made some people forget what the characters actually were like before all the moping or at least that seems to happen with some.

I confess I'm glad that they said there will be some humor in XV. I'd rather the game wasn't a serious downer the whole way through.

Yup.

Humor is a welcome addition to the series, VII had funny moments, IX was hilarious. That Steiner love letter scene? Priceless!

Voror

Yup.

Humor is a welcome addition to the series, VII had funny moments, IX was hilarious. That Steiner love letter scene? Priceless!

IX in general seemed light hearted for the most part on the surface with quite a bit of darkness lying underneath. Although it could be I'm remembering that wrong.

Wazzy

Banned
Speaking of fanart, I just found this Dissidia one and it's pretty good. I still hate the young Squall look but whatever.

f18e62d9c4c221217ee4f1b02f761590.jpg

IX in general seemed light hearted for the most part on the surface with quite a bit of darkness lying underneath. Although it could be I'm remembering that wrong.

Yes generally lighthearted. Darker themes littered throughout though. You're remembering correctly.

Speaking of fanart, I just found this Dissidia one and it's pretty good. I still hate the young Squall look but whatever.

Fan art? looks like Tetsuya Nomura drew these himself, fantastic find.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You know what's the best FF fanfiction I've seen so far?

FFX-2_box.jpg

Crap.

Tales of the Assholes, more like.

I'll stop. I think it's well-established that I don't like TotA.

I fucking hate Anise, Luke, and the cast halfway through the game.

Oh I also hate the baddies.

Fuck the cast.

Only Jade is awesome.

Vanille screeching in my ear > Listening to Anise

Wazzy

Banned
Fan art? looks like Tetsuya Nomura drew these himself, fantastic find.
Yeah I thought the same. I can't find any official source for it so I'm pretty sure it's fanart.
I fucking hate Anise, Luke, and the cast halfway through the game.

Oh I also hate the baddies.

Fuck the cast.

Only Jade is awesome.

Vanille screeching in my ear > Listening to Anise
Woah now. Guy is awesome. Much better than Jade who is a miserable prick. Natasha is cool too except for her Asch crush.

Luke sucks but the ending made me like him a little more. That could also be because the ending music was sooooo good.

FFX-2_box.jpg

Dang! Burn!

I liked it. Well I liked the combat more than anything else about it. Such a weird game. FFX Yuna was dancing to perform a Sending. In FFX-2 she is dancing to because she is a pop star. Fanfiction material indeed.

Wazzy

Banned
Dang! Burn!

I liked it. Well I liked the combat more than anything else about it. Such a weird game. FFX Yuna was dancing to perform a Sending. In FFX-2 she is dancing to because she is a pop star. Fanfiction material indeed.
Hm? Yuna wasn't a pop star. It was a fake in the beginning. The reason there's a crowd is just because she's famous in general.

The battle system is godly and it's soundtrack is underrated.

Red Mage

It's my first Tales game! If it sucks I WILL HATE THE FRANCHISE FOREVER.
I'm lying. That'd be like someone hating FF if they'd only ever played XIII.
They should've lucked out like Persona and SMT and given me amazing to decent games to experience first. Now the completely arbitrary selection process has left Tales in a rut.

I actually have no idea how the game's gonna be. I need to finish Sticker Star and Project X-Zone before it, and by the time I'm done with those I'll likely have Bravely Default, so it could still be awhile before I play Tales.

You should enjoy TotA. The Tales series remind me of SNES-era Final Fantasy games, with less focus on making it a serious movie and more focus on it being an actual game. It probably helps that most Tales games often remind me of specific Final Fantasy games; not so much that they're rip-offs, but that certain themes, etc. are echo'd in both games.

I'll spoiler them just in case you don't want to know:
For Abyss, it reminds me FF
For Graces, it reminds me of FF
and for Symphonia, FF

Oh, and Tales has it's own "XIII" game... Legendia. It WAS my first Tales game and turned me off of it as a series for a long time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
you guys are killing me inside

really

I need to finish Sticker Star and Project X-Zone before it
Stop playing mediocre to bad games. I have a really awful reputation for playing bad games and I don't want to see you fall victim to that notion. Doing it for almost the entirety of last year left me feeling really sour and bitter.

"Don't turn into me," is what I'm trying to say.

I like this new Attitude Era Schala.
After a conversation with someone, they suggested that I try to be a little blunt from now on instead keeping my mouth shut when I don't have anything nice to say.

I don't particularly like doing it, so I think I'll return to my boring era.

Oh, and Tales has it's own "XIII" game... Tempest.
I fixed that for you.

CorvoSol

You should enjoy TotA. The Tales series remind me of SNES-era Final Fantasy games, with less focus on making it a serious movie and more focus on it being an actual game. It probably helps that most Tales games often remind me of specific Final Fantasy games; not so much that they're rip-offs, but that certain themes, etc. are echo'd in both games.

I'll spoiler them just in case you don't want to know:
For Abyss, it reminds me FF
For Graces, it reminds me of FF
and for Symphonia, FF

Oh, and Tales has it's own "XIII" game... Legendia. It WAS my first Tales game and turned me off of it as a series for a long time.

The battle system at least seems like a good change of pace from SMT4's uber classical battle system and BD's FF3DS enhanced battles. Not that the battle systems in those games are bad, just that this should be a nice change of pace.

you guys are killing me inside

really

Stop playing mediocre to bad games. I have a really awful reputation for playing bad games and I don't want to see you fall victim to that notion. Doing it for almost the entirety of last year left me feeling really sour and bitter.

"Don't turn into me," is what I'm trying to say.

I already have a reputation for watching a lot of bad anime. But I actually kind of like Sticker Star. Mostly because I've never played any other Paper Mario game for any significant amount of time. Project X-Zone is probably the worst Super Robot Wars game I've ever played, even though I like the battle system.

I like young Squall because Squall is actually young.

FFX-2_box.jpg

I dunno, I feel that, aside from the Villain Sue, Crisis Core is the best Final Fantasy Fan Fiction. That ending, man.

Hm? Yuna wasn't a pop star. It was a fake in the beginning. The reason there's a crowd is just because she's famous in general.

The battle system is godly and it's soundtrack is underrated.

I know, I'm just pointing out how different Yuna is portrayed between the two games. She danced with purpose in FFX, in FFX-2 she danced because she had that songstress dress sphere equipped. Never was a fan of Leblanc, except when you massaged her.

PK Gaming

I already have a reputation for watching a lot of bad anime. But I actually kind of like Sticker Star. Mostly because I've never played any other Paper Mario game for any significant amount of time. Project X-Zone is probably the worst Super Robot Wars game I've ever played, even though I like the battle system.
0_0

Dude you need to fix this, like asap. The Paper Mario RPG games are amazing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The battle system at least seems like a good change of pace from SMT4's uber classical battle system and BD's FF3DS enhanced battles. Not that the battle systems in those games are bad, just that this should be a nice change of pace.
They're all different, but the better games in the series for the battle system are Rebirth (though it has one of the worst story in video games, ever), Destiny R, and Graces. At least that's what it's like to me.

Narikiri Dungeon X has a job system that I think people would be happy to play around with.

PXZ is some of the most repetitive stuff I've played in a while. And I played Time & Eternity. Not even X and Zero could redeem it for me.

I felt like Sticker Star was more of a platformer with RPG elements, and not the other way around. I ended up pushing myself through that one and I kinda regret it. I see why people like it, but it's just not for me.

LR:FFXIII dog says lols
killing me inside

I promised someone I would stay out of Tales threads from now on if he stayed out of sales threads, and we've both been doing so much better because of that. I wouldn't mind helping out with OTs if asked, but I don't think I'll post as much in those as i did before.

And I still didn't beat Xillia 2 even though I tried to make the move to. I just legitimately don't want to, but I can happily go back to Narikiri Dungeon X because job system. :V

Noi

I was curious about this and thought it'd be an interesting discussion topic: How do you guys feel about the lack of world-spanning RPGs nowadays?

Taking the FF series as an example, every main series title after 10 usually takes place in a small part of a larger continent/planet. X's "world map" is arguably the smallest in the series, and XII/XIII don't even attempt to do so, with XII in particular teasing and giving background info on tons of areas outside the available map and XIII only placing you in predetermined spots according to where the plot wants you to be. XI and XIV are MMOs so it's excusable there.

Meanwhile, up to FF9 (and technically FF4:TAY), Square had to come up with and design proper maps covering the entire planet. In a way, this made it feel like your crew's adventures always took around every corner of the globe and escalated the importance of it whenever a world-ending catastrophe took place. Like when Exdeath rips out whole chunks of the world into the void or Kefka plain out destroys it, you get a much bigger sense of "shit got real" than if the damage is contained within a smaller area.

By contrast, I really couldn't give two shits about what was going to happen to Cocoon in either XIII or XIII-2. SE did a terrible job in making me care about that world and I'd have just as likely let the whole thing fall if the plot didn't tell me to do otherwise.

(This could all be taken as a thinly veiled defense for more World Maps in RPGs, since a lot of series are going in favor of eliminating the entirely.)

tl;dr i want more of this

CorvoSol

0_0

Dude you need to fix this, like asap. The Paper Mario RPG games are amazing.

I haven't even beaten SMRPG. The only Mario RPG games I have finished are M&L and M&L 2. Both of which I loved. I just have so much else to play, haha.

PXZ is some of the most repetitive stuff I've played in a while. And I played Time & Eternity. Not even X and Zero could redeem it for me.

I felt like Sticker Star was more of a platformer with RPG elements, and not the other way around. I ended up pushing myself through that one and I kinda regret it. I see why people like it, but it's just not for me.

The problems I have with PXZ are 1)You take FOR EVER to walk across a map so fights are doubled in length of time they consume, 2)Everything is an HP sponge so it takes stupid long to kill even if you're doing everything right, 3)always like 5 waves of foes per fight anyway and 4) Unlike SRW, where there's a plot going on that's weaving all these shows together and a sense that these battles mean something, PXZ's fights are usually just filler and every chapter feels the same in that vein.

The game is fun to play a little at a time, but man, I cannot force myself through it. Which is a shame because I think that if its battle system were implemented in an actual SRW game it would be amazing.

I was curious about this and thought it'd be an interesting discussion topic: How do you guys feel about the lack of world-spanning RPGs nowadays?

Taking the FF series as an example, every main series title after 10 usually takes place in a small part of a larger continent/planet. X's "world map" is arguably the smallest in the series, and XII/XIII don't even attempt to do so, with XII in particular teasing and giving background info on tons of areas outside the available map and XIII only placing you in predetermined spots according to where the plot wants you to be. XI and XIV are MMOs so it's excusable there.

Meanwhile, up to FF9 (and technically FF4:TAY), Square had to come up with and design proper maps covering the entire planet. In a way, this made it feel like your crew's adventures always took around every corner of the globe and escalated the importance of it whenever a world-ending catastrophe took place. Like when Exdeath rips out whole chunks of the world into the void or Kefka plain out destroys it, you get a much bigger sense of "shit got real" than if the damage is contained within a smaller area.

By contrast, I really couldn't give two shits about what was going to happen to Cocoon in either XIII or XIII-2. SE did a terrible job in making me care about that world and I'd have just as likely let the whole thing fall if the plot didn't tell me to do otherwise.

(This could all be taken as a thinly veiled defense for more World Maps in RPGs, since a lot of series are going in favor of eliminating the entirely.)

So on the one hand, Type-0 had Orience, which was a really well done continent, I felt. It felt small when you finally got the air ship, but otherwise it was big enough and there was enough going on that it didn't need a whole world to explore. I mean the Lord of the Rings all takes place on one continent and it works fine.

On the other hand, Four Heroes of Light had a full on world and it was great too. I had very little in the way of complaints with 4 heroes of light, and that was not one of them.

Really, I think it's in how you do it. I mean, I love World Maps, but XII does a really great job without them. FF4 has 3 world maps that are radically different from each other and I love that. XIII has two full planets to explore and you never get to, which is still, I think the greatest crime that game commits.

I think the FNC is a fantastic mythology, actually, and the concepts which FF13 has are really good, I think. It's just that it falls short in so, so many ways of what it could and should be. It created a great world and then forbade you from exploring it. It gave you a rich mythology and then did its best to never tell you about it in game. It sets up a cast of characters who are ripe to subvert every Final Fantasy trope ever and then plays them increasingly straight. ESPECIALLY LIGHTNING. She's all set to completely undermine every kind of FF hero we've seen and while she does an okay job in the first game as the series goes on she's been completely broken and changed into someone she wasn't.

FFXIII could have been the best Final Fantasy if Square Enix had bothered to try.

CorvoSol

I don't think they didn't try. It's just that they used the wrong kind of games as inspiration.

The datalog and skeletal maps, along with that business of not having an idea of how the game was meant to play until the demo came out make me believe they didn't try.

Noi

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that the games need them, I was just saying that I missed them. I love XII's location even if it's just one continent. I just miss the concept is all.

Ni no Kuni had a world map and I liked it, a shame that everything else about the game is bad.

CorvoSol

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that the games need them, I was just saying that I missed them. I love XII's location even if it's just one continent. I just miss the concept is all.

Ni no Kuni had a world map and I liked it, a shame that everything else about the game is bad.

Type-0's kinda funny in that it has a world map that is just one continent. Just that the continent is massive and the four kingdoms are pretty different in terms of terrains.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The datalog and skeletal maps, along with that business of not having an idea of how the game was meant to play until the demo came out make me believe they didn't try.

Ah, I don't know. They said they looked at FPSs and the maps certainly fit that. But on the other hand, there's this strange section on Pulse where they seemed to remember "hey, we have to put some kind of FF in there". But by now I'm honestly just sick of this game. It's a mediocre game in a series that didn't use to have mediocre games. But at least it's not complete trash like Last Rebellion, Cross Edge or White Knight Chronicles.

CorvoSol

Ah, I don't know. They said they looked at FPSs and the maps certainly fit that. But on the other hand, there's this strange section on Pulse where they seemed to remember "hey, we have to put some kind of FF in there". But by now I'm honestly just sick of this game. It's a mediocre game in a series that didn't use to have mediocre games. But at least it's not complete trash like Last Rebellion, Cross Edge or White Knight Chronicles.

I kinda feel like the FPS nonsense was justification after the game came out and they got blasted in the face for it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I feel like Bravely Default had a decently-sized World Map with an upper- right continent that was basically full of optional stuff. It had borders in one continent that were closed until you got permission to open them up. You couldn't travel the sea until you did something that enabled for you to so. In that way, the world map was affected by player agency despite being plot-based, and I usually like that kind of stuff. It was neato.

I guess Final Fantasy VII and FF9 and any other game with a world-changing event which changes the world map tune, bars access from certain areas, or changes the geography in general does that too. It makes you care about the world a little more because you were always made to traverse the near-entirety of the landscape and discover certain things. Who knows, you could find a mystery enemy in the air when the game switches gears after a world-changing event, the geography could be entirely different (ex: Ultima Weapon and the Junon Area), you can no longer go to certain towns and you regret not having done so before (ex: Conde Petie), or you can no longer find an enemy that you used to use for steals or XP because they've either upgraded or they no longer exist.

I feel like with FFX/FFXIII's map design, I no longer seem to care about the world. As much as I adore FFX's penchant for world-building, the world's geography and changes themselves--outside of not being able to enter temples after the game's climax--isn't something that's overtly communicated to the player. You know that Kilika got destroyed, but you don't necessarily see the ramifications of it on the world map. You know that Home got fucked over, but you aren't really made to care for it outside of the plot. Those examples might not be good, but what about Macalania Lake, where you could have seen it on a theoretical world map, but then the ice got destroyed and you probably can't cross a certain area anymore. Lacking a world map probably destroys any sense of organic quality to the world, I guess, and merely renders areas to be setpieces as opposed of being part of one cohesive map for the player to think about.

I give Ni no Kuni lots of flak because I don't like it, but at least the World Map was filled with a lot of stuff. Yeah, the world map speed was crap, and running was as slow as molasses, and the world map size didn't feel like it complemented the game very much, but it had a lot of content that encouraged exploration. Granted, they were treasure boxes or mission markers, but hey, it had something to do. Final Fantasy VIII also exhibited this with UFO fights, draw points, and a bunch of other things.

I also felt like Terranigma handled its map supremely well. Despite being modeled from the real-world map, there are so many hidden treasures around the map that you are rewarded with by exploring. Whether it's a hidden town, a hidden resort area, a minigame area, treasure, an ability for you to build a bridge linking landmasses, etc. Terranigma truly had it all.

I think what I miss the most are multi-map worlds. I remember being blown away every single time a game did that sort of thing. SaGa 3, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy IV being probably the more well-known experience with that. The maps had different things for the player to enjoy, and it was always a neat pleasure to explore something that's just completely different from what you'd previously experienced in some small way.

I like world maps when they actually do something in terms of game design. Plunking them in there for the sake of having a world map just doesn't seem to workI feel like Orience is a poor example, simply for the sake of the towns essentially feeling like copy/paste, and the map seems filled with nothing. I don't particularly like it so far. :/

With that said, I feel as though world maps only work provided the navigation speed is sufficient (you don't want to move as slow as molasses on a map, or feel like you have to adhere to a stamina meter), have shit for you to do or a decent sense of scale, have an experience of change that makes the player regret for not having visited the area sooner, and just doesn't feel too big for its britches.

*This response paid for by Noi because he asked me to respond to it faster than I could process the question and come up with an actual good post for it. Sorry that this post ain't that great. I would have so much to say if I had time to sit down and think of countless examples.

But at least it's not complete trash like Last Rebellion.
I have no recollection of the event in question.

I love world maps and I hate their exclusion.

Though I wouldn't argue every RPG needs them, TWEWY for example has narrative reasons why you can't hop all over all of Japan and it's fine because it has more than enough distractions to keep players satisfied. However, there's a certain romance of a globe-trotting adventure that I miss.

Wazzy

Banned
I like young Squall because Squall is actually young.

Yeah but his artwork makes him look like he's 14. In VIII, he looks like a young adult which I vastly prefer design wise. Plus they made him really skinny and I prefer him with his more buff appearance. His Dissidia artwork isn't bad or anything, It's still very good, I just would have preferred something resembling his VIII look better.

Jucksalbe

Banned
SMT IV has a very nice world map that encourages exploration (which I sadly somewhat neglected in the end, because I rushed to finish it before the GOTY deadline). Too bad the actual map of it kinda sucked.

I have no recollection of the event in question.

Good thing you have a platinum trophy as proof of your fantastic journey.

CorvoSol

Yeah but his artwork makes him look like he's 14. In VIII, he looks like a young adult which I vastly prefer design wise. Plus they made him really skinny and I prefer him with his more buff appearance. His Dissidia artwork isn't bad or anything, It's still very good, I just would have preferred something resembling his VIII look better.

In 8 he looks like a grown man. His Dissidia artwork makes him look like a teenager.

When I was seventeen I looked like a grown man.

I feel like Japan often portrays it's teenagers TOO young, but what the hell do I know, I was growing facial hair at the age of ten.

Seda

I recently played Wild Arms V, and I mostly quite liked the world map. Fair amount of variety in locale visuals, several altitude levels, some tricky paths and nooks, pretty good looking for a PS2 title, and several things to find. The main thing I didn't care for was that all the chests were hidden and had to be found with that detector ring. That was a Wild Arms 'thing' back to the classic games, but it was annoying roaming around the map pressing □ all the time.

I recently played Wild Arms V, and I mostly quite liked the world map. Fair amount of variety in locale visuals, several altitude levels, some tricky paths and nooks, pretty good looking for a PS2 title, and several things to find. The main thing I didn't care for was that all the chests were hidden and had to be found with that detector ring. That was a Wild Arms 'thing' back to the classic games, but it was annoying roaming around the map pressing □ all the time.

Yeh, but at least all the tools and stuff lead to some actual level design in dungeons.

Man I miss games having level design.

Top Bottom