• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

PK Gaming

Rise is easily my least favorite character in Persona 4. While I think Laura is a fine voice actress I think she's overused.

Q9Mk34x.png

Seda

Fire Emblem 7 and Path of Radiance are two of my favorite games period. They're nearly infinitely replayable for me.

Wazzy

Banned
Fire Emblem Blazing Sword. Just "Fire Emblem" on GBA. 7th installment of the series. Prequel Sequel to the JP Only FE6. Which is Sword of Seals and features Roy.

Yea

Fire Emblem 7: Blazing Sword to be exact. When it was brought over to NA, they just called it "Fire Emblem."

Great game btw, definitely one of the best FE games imo.

Ah okay thanks.

I was planning to pick it up but I couldn't find it for cheap. Looking now, it's only $40 on Amazon...hmmmmm

PK Gaming

Fire Emblem 7 and Path of Radiance are two of my favorite games period. They're nearly infinitely replayable for me.
Path of Radiance is so good. I regret not buying it when I had the chance (I rented and beat it when I was younger). I really want to replay haha.

I maxed out Rise's S.Link first because I never did it before. I can't fathom how I got through dungeons without her, holy crap. Constant health regen after every fight is like whoa.

I also friendzoned Yukiko for the first time. It was a difficult decision. :(

CorvoSol

I maxed out Rise's S.Link first because I never did it before. I can't fathom how I got through dungeons without her, holy crap. Constant health regen after every fight is like whoa.

I also friendzoned Yukiko for the first time. It was a difficult decision. :(

This is my first time through the game. I was like "Oh Yukiko's sweet" and then "HOT DAMN LAURA BAILEY IS IN THIS GAME. YUKIKO WHO?"

This is my first time through the game. I was like "Oh Yukiko's sweet" and then "HOT DAMN LAURA BAILEY IS IN THIS GAME. YUKIKO WHO?"

Even if I didn't like Rise's S.Link story, I would advise anyone playing it to get her to Max ASAP. Eventually she gives you back 20% of your max HP and I think 10% SP at the end of every fight.

Bladenic

I'm gonna level with you: I kinda just like Laura Bailey in general. Like, in the two SMT games I've played--SMT4 and Persona 4-- the girl Laura plays is the best each time.

I generally like her too, though the two characters she's voiced in Tales games (main characters anyway) kind of suck. Marta and Cheria to be exact.

Both are fantastic games. My personal favorite Fire Emblems are Sacred Stone and Awakening. Sacred Stones is where the series clicked for me, and none of my characters died. I was really bad at 7. My inpatients lead to a few perma-deaths, had tons of fun nonetheless, and some frustration. Path of Radiance was great, loved wrecking dudes with Ike's Aether.

I'm no fan of the Lightning Saga, but Ali Hillis, Troy Baker, and Laura Bailey are all welcome voice actors to me.

Agreed. They should all do a musical together, especially Troy. I saw that TLOU alternate ending.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Your vote doesn't count on this topic anyway.
you're cementing that you're worse than president beef right here.

and president beef has chao-imprisonment policies.

Speaking of Tales games, I own Tales of the Abyss for 3DS. It will be my first Tales game.
best get it out of the way now so you can move on to the titles that are actually good.

Agreed. They should all do a musical together, especially Troy. I saw that TLOU alternate ending.
troy baker is part of tripp fontaine and they released a single back in the day

CorvoSol

you're cementing that you're worse than president beef right here.

and president beef has chao-imprisonment policies.

best get it out of the way now so you can move on to the titles that are actually good.

troy baker is part of tripp fontaine and they released a single back in the day

Actually I'm all for imprisoning Chaos as long as this imprisonment leads to a Final Solution or mass extermination of their horrible, horrible race. Spearheaded by the death of that godawful rabbit would be nice, too.

My only gripe with Tales of the Abyss in the short amount I have played is the weird ass "skits" which is when the game stops me and makes me sit through two faces doing talking animations and some lame ass text that would work better with voices.

February 25/28. Gameplay shows it's age a bit, definitely not as fluid as most of the Tales titles after it. Easily has my favorite Tales soundtrack.

While I'm super excited for Symphonia HD for PS3, I'm also super bummed that it's only 30FPS. GC's 60FPS was so great, except the the occasional slow down.

PS: Finding decent FF art is sooooooo freaking hard.

Loved the fan art you posted, the Terra and Garnet pieces specifically.

i played symphonia ages ago and thought it was pretty alright, i don't think i got very far. i'm playing Xillia right now as my first tales game that i'm actually going to beat. it's pretty good but jude is a goody-goody clownshoes that apparently doesn't believe that women can fight or something and milla is just an idiot. alvin should've been the protagonist.

Zephyx

Hello, just got my PS3 and it came with FFXIII. I know most people here don't like the game but I really want to give it a try. Any tips?

Shadow780

Hello, just got my PS3 and it came with FFXIII. I know most people here don't like the game but I really want to give it a try. Any tips?

For better or worse the one thing that the game does really well is keeping you on a straight path for a long time so you don't have to worry about messing anything up. Auto-battle is your friend, use it often, enjoy the scenery and music.

HTupolev

At first, avoid using auto-battle except to ask the game what it thinks its mechanics are, or if you need to queue up attacks instantly*. Auto-battle is reasonably effective, but for most of the early game things aren't so hectic that you'll need it, and it'll make the game horribly boring.

Heck, at least for the first two chapters, you should put effort into careful placement of AoE attacks, and on using the triangle button to finish battles faster by avoiding some of your final ATB charge. You'll get very minor gains, but the alternative is spending the first two chapters doing nothing but hitting the X button twice every time an ATB cycle starts.

If FFXIII has one massive quirk to its battle system design**, it's that the reward-to-effort ratio for certain things is tiny, but that you should sometimes do those things anyway because they'll permit the game's low points to be mere "low points" instead of "use the disc as a frisbee" points. FFXIII is capable of being a blast, but you have to approach it, it won't come to you.

*Such as when you get a pre-emptive strike (and thus can attack immediately) or right after a paradigm shift.

**Well okay, it has like fifty massive quirks, but that's beside the point.

Zephyx

At first, avoid using auto-battle except to ask the game what it thinks its mechanics are, or if you need to queue up attacks instantly*. Auto-battle is reasonably effective, but for most of the early game things aren't so hectic that you'll need it, and it'll make the game horribly boring.

Heck, at least for the first two chapters, you should put effort into careful placement of AoE attacks, and on using the triangle button to finish battles faster by avoiding some of your final ATB charge. You'll get very minor gains, but the alternative is spending the first two chapters doing nothing but hitting the X button twice every time an ATB cycle starts.

If FFXIII has one massive quirk to its battle system design**, it's that the reward-to-effort ratio for certain things is tiny, but that you should sometimes do those things anyway because they'll permit the game's low points to be mere "low points" instead of "use the disc as a frisbee" points. FFXIII is capable of being a blast, but you have to approach it, it won't come to you.

*Such as when you get a pre-emptive strike (and thus can attack immediately) or right after a paradigm shift.

**Well okay, it has like fifty massive quirks, but that's beside the point.

Is this Auto-Battle ala P4G auto battle or is it a feature deeply utilized in the game? I don't mind using it if it will make fights a little easier. And if what you are saying about the first two chapters is true, damn that's sad. :( I think I have to go in with very little expectations.

HTupolev

Is this Auto-Battle ala P4G auto battle or is it a feature deeply utilized in the game? I don't mind using it if it will make fights a little easier.
At the start of an ATB cycle, you can queue up a selection of abilities/attacks* and then specify a target enemy**. Auto-battle does the first part for you.

*For your party leader to execute. You don't directly control other party members.

**Or target party member, if your party leader is currently using a medic or synergist role.

Obviously, manually battling to slightly adjust what a single character in a party of 3 is doing won't always have much impact. Auto-battle will take some of the load off of you, and allow you to focus more on the large-scale stuff happening (managing your party paradigm and targeting). The thing is, the battles are not always that frenetic; even when you don't care all that much about making specific things happen, manual battling can be more fun IMO. That's especially true in the aforementioned chapters 1 and 2, where you generally don't have much to do beyond managing extreme minutae, trying to turn a 15-second stomping into a 14-second stomping.

And if what you are saying about the first two chapters is true, damn that's sad.
If you make the most of it, and can fit them into a time where you were just going to idle about anyway, it's not really that intolerable. Especially as chapter 1 is crazy gorgeous.

I think I have to go in with very little expectations.
Qualitative expectations might be more important than how much you expect in raw quality.

Overall I quite enjoyed FFXIII, though I didn't go into it expecting to play a JRPG. Meanwhile, "no HD towns" still drifts its way through the still-burning internet firestorm.

Have fun! :)

CorvoSol

FFXIII is sort of okay. My tip is to bear with the slow parts until you reach the really wide open area. If you enjoy that open area you're golden, if not there's not much else to say. Like, I think FFXIII is possibly the worst mainline FF game, BUT, that open area is a lot of fun, to the point where when I hear about LR I think it might be fun since it sounds somewhat based around that idea.

Voror

I've always wanted to play the Destiny series since I heard those were some of the best. Shame it seems to be so hard to find these days though unless I'm mistaken.

I actually mostly liked Abyss when I first played it aside from the middle part of the game where it just drags like mad, but then I've come to expect that at some point in most Tales games. Then I played it again and found most the characters hypocritical and unlikable, which made it harder to care and proceed.

Top Bottom