• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Seda

Yeh, but at least all the tools and stuff lead to some actual level design in dungeons.

Man I miss games having level design.

Wild Arms series in general had some neat level-areas, and I enjoyed going back with new tools to find equipment and such in areas you can't reach the first time around. Sometimes these 'dungeons' looked too much like one-another, but that didn't bother me all too much.

(Except WA4 which had a terrible tool implementation.)

Wazzy

Banned
Final Fantasy 4 and Persona 4 are both amazing games Noi. I hear Front Mission 4 was solid, too. SMT4 didn't seem that bad.

FM4 is considered a lot weaker than previous games but I enjoyed it.

The only comparison that really works for number 4 in the series being bad is most definitely MGS4.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Final Fantasy IV sucks.

Genso Suikoden IV didn't live up to the greats.

Wild Arms 4 is zzzzz

Mario and Luigi RPG 4 suffers from massive padding.

Sonic 4 is shit.

Mega Man Zero 4 can be lol.

Paper Mario 4 is underwhelming.

Corvo, pls.

But Mega Man 4 and X4 are da besssss.

Edit: Let me be reductionist just once. This is kinda fun.

Good thing you have a platinum trophy as proof of your fantastic journey.
I have no recollection of the event in question.

Wazzy

Banned
?

I'd argue that it's the opposite. Fire Emblem 4, Final Fantasy 4, Persona 4, Shin Megami Tensei 4...

? There are only 2 Paper Mario games.

Nope. There's four.

Paper Mario, Super Paper Mario, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door and Paper Mario Sticker Star.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
? There are only 2 Paper Mario games.
Can I come to your planet?

uNq1xwT.jpg
NTDJTQw.png

Selective amnesia. You've finally become a JRPG stereotype.
Show me proof. :V

Wazzy

Banned
It hurts even more because I for some reason thought it would be a port of Paper MarioN64 and then I found out about the sticker bullshit and all that.

All I want is PM on the go.

Voror

Yes generally lighthearted. Darker themes littered throughout though. You're remembering correctly.

Oh good. I think IX might be my favorite of the PS1 FFs edging a bit above VII. I just really liked the cast, world, and story in that game.

LR:FFXIII dog says lols

Wait.

You mean that's in the game?

I thought that image was some weird photoshopped game joke I simply wasn't getting.

It actually looks like that?

I already have a reputation for watching a lot of bad anime. But I actually kind of like Sticker Star. Mostly because I've never played any other Paper Mario game for any significant amount of time. Project X-Zone is probably the worst Super Robot Wars game I've ever played, even though I like the battle system.

I dunno, I feel that, aside from the Villain Sue, Crisis Core is the best Final Fantasy Fan Fiction. That ending, man.

What kind of bad anime exactly? I've never played any of them myself. I kick myself now for never playing Thousand Year Door since I heard that was the best one from a lot of people. It's funny because I have X-Zone, but I haven't even opened it.

I can't account for gameplay, but I watched the condensed version with all the story and it it made for a great prequel. Except for Genesis of course. I don't know why they thought he was a good idea.

I was curious about this and thought it'd be an interesting discussion topic: How do you guys feel about the lack of world-spanning RPGs nowadays?

Taking the FF series as an example, every main series title after 10 usually takes place in a small part of a larger continent/planet. X's "world map" is arguably the smallest in the series, and XII/XIII don't even attempt to do so, with XII in particular teasing and giving background info on tons of areas outside the available map and XIII only placing you in predetermined spots according to where the plot wants you to be. XI and XIV are MMOs so it's excusable there.

Meanwhile, up to FF9 (and technically FF4:TAY), Square had to come up with and design proper maps covering the entire planet. In a way, this made it feel like your crew's adventures always took around every corner of the globe and escalated the importance of it whenever a world-ending catastrophe took place. Like when Exdeath rips out whole chunks of the world into the void or Kefka plain out destroys it, you get a much bigger sense of "shit got real" than if the damage is contained within a smaller area.

By contrast, I really couldn't give two shits about what was going to happen to Cocoon in either XIII or XIII-2. SE did a terrible job in making me care about that world and I'd have just as likely let the whole thing fall if the plot didn't tell me to do otherwise.

(This could all be taken as a thinly veiled defense for more World Maps in RPGs, since a lot of series are going in favor of eliminating the entirely.)

tl;dr i want more of this

It sort of varies I think. VIII's world for some reason I couldn't get into whereas VII and IX I quite liked since the worlds felt pretty well realized, especially so in IX's case. I think in some ways it's a case of the world feeling that it's all there for a reason and with ways to explore all of it in some ways as opposed big for the sake of being big if that makes any sense.

Then you have other cases where the world is largely quite linear such as X and XIII, though X may have done a better job of hiding it I think. XII did an okay job not bothering me too much about it as well.

I'd like more exploring and open worlds with many secrets. I truly hope we see some of this in XV though who knows how well it will be implemented. I'd love if some of the summon beasts were harder to find or in special areas.

So on the one hand, Type-0 had Orience, which was a really well done continent, I felt. It felt small when you finally got the air ship, but otherwise it was big enough and there was enough going on that it didn't need a whole world to explore. I mean the Lord of the Rings all takes place on one continent and it works fine.

On the other hand, Four Heroes of Light had a full on world and it was great too. I had very little in the way of complaints with 4 heroes of light, and that was not one of them.

Really, I think it's in how you do it. I mean, I love World Maps, but XII does a really great job without them. FF4 has 3 world maps that are radically different from each other and I love that. XIII has two full planets to explore and you never get to, which is still, I think the greatest crime that game commits.

I think the FNC is a fantastic mythology, actually, and the concepts which FF13 has are really good, I think. It's just that it falls short in so, so many ways of what it could and should be. It created a great world and then forbade you from exploring it. It gave you a rich mythology and then did its best to never tell you about it in game. It sets up a cast of characters who are ripe to subvert every Final Fantasy trope ever and then plays them increasingly straight. ESPECIALLY LIGHTNING. She's all set to completely undermine every kind of FF hero we've seen and while she does an okay job in the first game as the series goes on she's been completely broken and changed into someone she wasn't.

FFXIII could have been the best Final Fantasy if Square Enix had bothered to try.

That's a good way to approach it I think. That it gives enough to do that even if you do realize that it isn't especially large, it doesn't bother one all that much. Additionally, if you're going to go for sequels of any kind, you could always give hints at the rest of the world and maybe later have a game focusing on that hinted at country with its own set of rules and stories.

I keep debating about trying Four Heroes of Light out. It's from the team who did Bravely Default, right?

There's truly nothing wrong with the FNC mythology. I actually think the intention behind it to have three different games, each with their own take and use of that mythology, was a fascinating thing to try out. Type-0 seems to have done a good job with it from everything I've heard. The jury is still out regarding XV of course and I don't feel we have too much to go off on for how it's going to work for them, but I hope for the best. XIII just had a lot of wasted potential to me from all I saw. What might have helped it to a degree, and it's odd saying this, is if it had had a Vaan character. One that doesn't understand all the politics and mechanics on how the world works and needs to have it explained to them. I love datalogs as a lot of interesting backstory and info can be garnered from them, but one shouldn't have to consult them simply to understand what is going on in the plot.

On a side note, I was going to finally get down to XIII-2, but I've been drawn back to Xillia and the knowledge that I really should beat that. I can't recall why I stopped to be honest.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Show me proof. :V

Let m be the set of all gaming memories m_n, future, present and past with m_0 being the present, further let all m_n with n<0 be all past memories with m_(n-1) = m_n - 1ocg ("ocg" being the unit of "one crappy game"). Consider the set x, with x_(m_n) = m/(n*q), depicting the quality q of the game at time m_n.
Now look at game "Last Rebellion" with quality q=0 at set time m_t. This lead to x_(m_t) = m/(n*0), a memory failure.
Now to proof that there is a m_n for which m_n = m_t holds true, look at the set m. If there's a m_n and a m_(n+1) for which m_n != m_n - 1ocq, then it follow there's a m_t between those two elements as described above.
For the actual proof I refer back to you, to build such the set m.

Stupid enough?

?

I'd argue that it's the opposite. Fire Emblem 4, Final Fantasy 4, Persona 4, Shin Megami Tensei 4...

And the greatest 4 of all Resident Evil 4. A Japanese developed game, where you Role Play as Leon S Kennedy and level up your Guns.

That makes it a JRPG right?

Yeah Persona 4 was great, but P3:FES will always be number one in my heart.

To me Persona 4 is the Final Fantasy 7 of the Persona series. P4 is for many gamers their first Persona game. It introduced a lot of people to the Persona franchise and SMT in general. It was an accessible JRPG, like FF7. Even had a few spin offs like the Compilation of FF7: P4A, that anime, did it have a movie? probably, some dancing game.

Voror

It's just a normal dog silly!

You sure? It could be the final boss in disguise.

And the greatest 4 of all Resident Evil 4. A Japanese developed game, where you Role Play as Leon S Kennedy and level up your Guns.

That makes it a JRPG right?

Yeah Persona 4 was great, but P3:FES will always be number one in my heart.

To me Persona 4 is the Final Fantasy 7 of the Persona series. P4 is for many gamers their first Persona game. It introduced a lot of people to the Persona franchise and SMT in general. It was an accessible JRPG, like FF7. Even had a few spin offs like the Compilation of FF7: P4A, that anime, did it have a movie? probably, some dancing game.

Eh, I personally preferred P4 over P3: FES, though both are fantastic. I can't even say what it was exactly. It may have been the mood of the game compared to P3, which was generally very dark.

Were there any problems with that PSP port of 3? After 4 Golden, I wouldn't mind a portable version of 3.

Eh, I personally preferred P4 over P3: FES, though both are fantastic. I can't even say what it was exactly. It may have been the mood of the game compared to P3, which was generally very dark.

Were there any problems with that PSP port of 3? After 4 Golden, I wouldn't mind a portable version of 3.

The PSP version of 3 was presented like a visual novel, you don't walk around a map interacting with NPC and things like that. Also, probably the most important changes are you can play as a Female Protagonist, and you have the option to control all your party members instead of having to rely on the game's AI.

Edit: Really wish they would make a definitive version of P3, like P4:Golden. A complete P3 experience with all the cool stuff of P3P (Skill cards, FeMC, controllable party in combat) and the content of P3:FES (Walking around the map interacting with NPCs, The Answer).

Voror

The PSP version of 3 was presented like a visual novel, you don't walk around a map interacting with NPC and things like that. Also, probably the most important changes are you can play as a Female Protagonist, and you have the option to control all your party members instead of having to rely on the game's AI.

Edit: Really wish they would make a definitive version of P3, like P4:Golden. A complete P3 experience with all the cool stuff of P3P (Skill cards, FeMC, controllable party in combat) and the content of P3:FES (Walking around the map interacting with NPCs, The Answer).

Ah, wasn't aware they'd changed it like that. I knew about some of the additions like the Female Protagonist, but not the change of presentation.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't already, unless they consider it a waste to do another portable Persona when they did make one already. Even if it would be a definitive version. They could call it Persona 3 Silver or something

There's some movies coming out soon as well, right?

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy IV sucks.
Corvo, pls.

In what universe and what version? Because FF4 DS is a damn fine game, girl.

What kind of bad anime exactly?
I keep debating about trying Four Heroes of Light out. It's from the team who did Bravely Default, right?

If you ask Anime-GAF all bad anime. So many I really cannot count. I mean there's crappy Gundam shows like AGE and 00, horrible other mecha shows like Eureka Seven Astral Ocean, intolerable not mecha shows like Sword Art Online and Glass Fleet. I just saw every single movie the Happy Science Cult has ever made, a slew of crummy 80s cyberpunk dystopian police OVAs, shit like Eiken, Apocalypse Zero, and the like. And though many people love it, I personally detest Attack On Titan post episode, like, 7.

Bravely Default is okay, but it has its share of problems. One major plot twist just sort of happens with no explanation, you cannot choose which enemy you're targeting with an attack, and you can't save on the world map. Just off the top of my head.

Voror

That's what LR wants you to believe.

Exactly. It's a trick. The dog is the mastermind of it all.

If you ask Anime-GAF all bad anime. So many I really cannot count. I mean there's crappy Gundam shows like AGE and 00, horrible other mecha shows like Eureka Seven Astral Ocean, intolerable not mecha shows like Sword Art Online and Glass Fleet. I just saw every single movie the Happy Science Cult has ever made, a slew of crummy 80s cyberpunk dystopian police OVAs, shit like Eiken, Apocalypse Zero, and the like. And though many people love it, I personally detest Attack On Titan post episode, like, 7.

Bravely Default is okay, but it has its share of problems. One major plot twist just sort of happens with no explanation, you cannot choose which enemy you're targeting with an attack, and you can't save on the world map. Just off the top of my head.

I can't account for several of the shows you mention, though I've seen few of them. 00 had the Code Geass effect going where the first season is pretty good while the second is something I view as bad. Sort of the same with SAO as I view the first half as being pretty good if not exploring the concept as far as I'd like whereas bad writing abounds in the second part.

I can appreciate AoT to a degree, but I just didn't think it was really my thing. I've recently taken to watching some older anime I've never seen before like Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Megazone 23. I'll be watching Black Lagoon and Ninja Scroll soon as well.

You actually mean 4HoL I take it? Those are some rather odd design decisions I'll say.

I've been thinking on this a bit lately, but would the long development time of XV mean that some aspects of the game may already be complete? We've known the voice actors for the main party for some time now I believe so is it possible that things such as recording and such may be further along? I suppose I'm trying to figure out how things such as that figure into how long game development takes.

Story and such would obviously be taken care of in pre-production and unlike XIII where I believe the state of the form of gameplay was often in flux, it seems to be that Nomura and co. have a firm idea of what the gameplay will be like.

I've been thinking on this a bit lately, but would the long development time of XV mean that some aspects of the game may already be complete? We've known the voice actors for the main party for some time now I believe so is it possible that things such as recording and such may be further along? I suppose I'm trying to figure out how things such as that figure into how long game development takes.

Story and such would obviously be taken care of in pre-production and unlike XIII where I believe the state of the form of gameplay was often in flux, it seems to be that Nomura and co. have a firm idea of what the gameplay will be like.

About Akira, the movie is good but the manga is on a whole other level. I encourage you to experience both

About XV, Nomura has had a firm image of what they wanted the game to be for years, it was merely a problem of not having the technology to execute it.

Honestly I appreciate the unwillingness to make compromises in your vision I just hope for his sake it will end up being worth it.

Voror

About Akira, the movie is good but the manga is on a whole other level. I encourage you to experience both

About XV, Nomura has had a firm image of what they wanted the game to be for years, it was merely a problem of not having the technology to execute it.

Honestly I appreciate the unwillingness to make compromises in your vision I just hope for his sake it will end up being worth it.

Oh I have. I'm only up to the second volume so far, but I definitely like the expansion of the setting in comparison. I sort of wish the manga had been finished so that the film could have adapted all of it, maybe as a multi-part thing.

That's been one of the things that brought me some confidence about it, though in the end it's all about the execution of that image. What looks good on paper doesn't always translate well after all. I just hope the tech is enough for him now, though some of his comments seem to indicate as such.

Indeed, it's something nice to see though it's also important that people who can tell you when something simply isn't going to work like that musical idea he had. I recall reading for instance that one of the factors to the problem with the later Star Wars movies was that Lucas didn't have anyone to tell him when his ideas or scenes weren't very good as was the case with at least the first two movies.

The games he works with his team on seem to be a more democratic process, Nomura's role as director may actually be kind of different then what would normally be director as he acts more as a filter for ideas, making sure they match with what he envisioned well.

His team can also give feedback freely, they have meetings for that kind of stuff.

Voror

The games he works with his team on seem to be a more democratic process, Nomura's role as director may actually be kind of different then what would normally be director as he acts more as a filter for ideas, making sure they match with what he envisioned well.

His team can also give feedback freely, they have meetings for that kind of stuff.

Oh, I didn't know that. That actually doesn't seem like a bad approach to things. I suppose it might also be a means of perhaps identifying talent within your team who could rise up into bigger roles.

I do hope we get something on it soon and that when we do it isn't simply another CG trailer. E3 is the closest event upcoming that I'd expect to see anything unless they do a feature in Famitsu or something.

I wonder what the chances of a demo for the game are.

Voror

Probably slim to none but it would be nice.

This conversation made me realize I know too much about XVersus.

Seven goddamn years.

I'd even spring for some sort of playable version available to the press or something of the sort.

While there's still new things I'm discovering about this game, I must admit I've looked more at this game's development process more so than any other I can think of.

Going into eight soon enough, though I'm expecting the game by 2015.

You'll probably be waiting 7 more. If the name change was to justify another 7 years that is.

Maybe it was to buy eight more years so that development time takes fifteen total.

There's some movies coming out soon as well, right?

The first part was released in Japan last November.

Final Fantasy IV sucks.
Oh Schala, you and your IV hate. So cute...=p

I wasn't a fan of IV either. There are way too many versions of that game also. The DS was alright, augmenting was kinda neat.

She just mad she can't be the perfect Goddess waifu that Rosa will forever be. /perfo
Lucky Cecil. I wish I could have a perfect Goddess waifu...

CorvoSol

Lucky Cecil. I wish I could have a perfect Goddess waifu...

Cecil can't be tied down to one woman, man. He leaves Rosa's perfect butt behind to go gallivanting with his girlfriend for the sake of ensuring that Edge will be in the Friend Zone forever.

And when Rosa gets too needy Cecil replaces the castle staff with
an army of Rydia clones.

Cecil can't be tied down to one woman, man. He leaves Rosa's perfect butt behind to go gallivanting with his girlfriend for the sake of ensuring that Edge will be in the Friend Zone forever.

And when Rosa gets too needy Cecil replaces the castle staff with
an army of Rydia clones.

I dunno what FFIV your playing, but it sounds way better than the one I played.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know how I feel about FF4, period. :p
Plus you know I think augments are neat. It's the only version of FF4 with some semblance of difficulty. I've played all of them, even Wonderswan.

I recently reacquired a Wonderswan. \o/

BD's plot is explained in general. Even the major portion of it.
You can choose which enemy you would like to attack.
You can save on the world map.

???

Let m be the set of all gaming memories m_n, future, present and past with m_0 being the present, further let all m_n with n<0 be all past memories with m_(n-1) = m_n - 1ocg ("ocg" being the unit of "one crappy game"). Consider the set x, with x_(m_n) = m/(n*q), depicting the quality q of the game at time m_n.
Now look at game "Last Rebellion" with quality q=0 at set time m_t. This lead to x_(m_t) = m/(n*0), a memory failure.
Now to proof that there is a m_n for which m_n = m_t holds true, look at the set m. If there's a m_n and a m_(n+1) for which m_n != m_n - 1ocq, then it follow there's a m_t between those two elements as described above.
For the actual proof I refer back to you, to build such the set m.

Stupid enough?
LOL. Yes, that works.

You could've also used this.

I wasn't a fan of IV either. There are way too many versions of that game also. The DS was alright, augmenting was kinda neat.
I did a playthrough in the playthrough thread from two years ago explaining why I don't like FF4. Corvo did two, too, to show why he thought it was cool. Heropon (did two) and Jucksalbe were indifferent.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70574256&postcount=3887

You are reading Corvo's fanfiction.

CorvoSol

FF4 is a magical game where a lecherous Paladin flies a space whale to beat the crap out of wizard dragon Darth Vader piloting a giant robot.

Its got one of the best FF endings because the people acknowledge your Godhood and crown you king of the whole damn world.

Its sequels are about shirking marital and royal responsibilities.

CorvoSol

BD's plot is explained in general. Even the major portion of it.
You can choose which enemy you would like to attack.
You can save on the world map.

???

I meant Four Heroes of Light. I dunno why I wrote that.
Four Heroes of Light's time travel segment is poorly explained.

What kind of "perfect Goddess" is Rosa, if she is not enough for Cecil?

Dude he's Cecil. Rosa is perfect but she isn't plural.

And yet, Cecil's still a shitty character compared to Kain and Golbez.

Kain is a guy who spends 17 years on one mountain and fails to do what Cecil did the day he got there. Kain spends 17 years wanting to bang a married woman.

At least Cecil's character developed. Kain's character grows as much as a dead tree.

Kain still has it better than Edge, though. I mean Rydia isn't even married and Edge still fails.

Top Bottom