• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Voror

Time compression really did come out of nowhere, still wish I could visit towns though. Yup Necron was just boom, here I am, fight me.

That scenario you described that I put in bold sounds awesome. Smaller encounters were always really cool. Really liked that one-on-one fight between Squall and Seifer near the end of disk one of FFVIII.

It could have been cool to explore the world with it all screwed up rather than just going to some castle.

I very much expect it to happen at least once. They tend to have a more personal feel such as perhaps the Sora vs. Riku fight on the tail end of Kingdom Hearts. Yeah, that was a pretty good one. I suppose you could also count the final part of the fight against Sephiroth, but I don't think you could lose that one.

Wazzy

Banned
Please don't remind me of that...=(

Such a waste of a disc.
Yeah. It's too bad because disc four had the ending which was amazing and the best final dungeon ever.

If we could have explored the future plus done a side quest for Seifer....ahhhh I'm drooling just thinking about it.

You said it, what a bummer of an end game world.

What was up with those barriers anyways? I don't remember an explanation, something to do with time travel?
I think the explanation is Ultimecia sealed off every town while time compression is taking place.

It sucks but oh well. =/

Lame... I forgot how dumb VIII got near the end with all the time nonsense.
I disagree. At first the time stuff seems weird and crazy but a lot of it makes sense in regards to the game. We know that VIII is involved in a time loop hence some of the decisions in the game that seemed stupid now make sense. Cid promoting Squall is the big one.

Time compression really did come out of nowhere, still wish I could visit towns though. Yup Necron was just boom, here I am, fight me.

That scenario you described that I put in bold sounds awesome. Smaller encounters were always really cool. Really liked that one-on-one fight between Squall and Seifer near the end of disk one of FFVIII.
The game builds up to time compression so I don't think it's fair to say it came out of nowhere. Time is such an important factor in VIII that it just connected back to the central theme. Ultimecia figured she could stop time in order to prevent her death. TC is her way of accomplishing that. In fact, TC is actually really fucked up. Look at what just a void does to Squall. It destroys him mentally.

I think the explanation is Ultimecia sealed off every town while time compression is taking place.
It sucks but oh well. =/
Lame no matter how you spin it, one of the best things about FFVIII was visiting all the beautiful cities and towns. Ultimecia sealing them off or whatever silly reason is just flat out dumb. I get it you want us to go to her castle, but why can't I have a pleasant walk through Balamb town just one more time before I do. Hell it would have been cool if she destroyed a few of the towns. Let me explore the destroyed towns, get me fired up for the inevitable fight. More of a pet peeve of mine really, let me explore the world even at the end game.
I disagree. At first the time stuff seems weird and crazy but a lot of it makes sense in regards to the game. We know that VIII is involved in a time loop hence some of the decisions in the game that seemed stupid now make sense. Cid promoting Squall is the big one.
True, "Time as a motif" that was spread throughout the game really well. I just thought it was used better through the first three disks, when you were visiting the past as Laguna and company. It even pays off a few times in the future, where you find items because Laguna drops keys If I recall correctly. I thought that was extremely well done.

Guess I should clarify:
When "I said that VIII got dumb near the end because of time stuff" I meant that disk four was the weakest in terms of dealing with the "Time motif" that was strongly used in disks 1-3. Disk four just throws you into the future. The future sucks, and Squall says something about how SeeD members have been fighting Ultimecia for generations, now lets bust into this castle. That just felt weak to me. Why could there not have been another dream sequence in Disk 4 where you control the SeeDs from various generations fighting her and losing. Something to help establish how truly powerful Ultemicia is. Instead you are just funneled to that castle gate.

The game builds up to time compression so I don't think it's fair to say it came out of nowhere. Time is such an important factor in VIII that it just connected back to the central theme. Ultimecia figured she could stop time in order to prevent her death. TC is her way of accomplishing that. In fact, TC is actually really fucked up. Look at what just a void does to Squall. It destroys him mentally.

You are absolutely right that Time Compression is important to the story/central to the game and build up. I remember Edea talking about it if I recall correctly. What I mean by "T.C. coming out of nowhere" is how disk 4 flings you into the future and the world itself is effected by it out of the blue. I never thought Time Compression would prevent me from visiting towns, felt sudden and unneeded. When Squall and company go to the future to fight Ultimecia, I thought I would still be able to see what the world is like under her control. Instead I was treated to towns covered by light and a bunch of gates. If Ultimecia's goal was to make the future world map incredibly boring through T.C., mission accomplished.

I love Final Fantasy VIII, I love the orphan reveal, I kinda even love that amnesia is explained by the use of GF. Disk 4 just felt like a waste of potential. I felt like there could have been awesome opportunities to see Ultimicia's rule of the world. Instead we got an entire world map that can't be explored. Overall, I'm very dismissive of FFVIII's whole Time Compressed future because I found it handled very poorly by the end of the game. Storywise Time Compress works fantastically, gameplay wise, all it did was make the world map boring.

Hey FF GAF!!

I can't believe I've never posted in here, since I love the series so much (including the XIII) games...
ducks for cover

Anyway: Do I pick up FFIV Complete Collection in the FF PSN Sale?

The only version I've ever played of FFIV is the EU PS1 Anthology version.

From the screenshots of the Complete Collection that I've seen the revised visuals look pretty nice?

Help me make a decision guys :D

CorvoSol

Implication that even with the delay the game was rushed out the door.

I love Type-0 as much as the next guy, but I think there's no denying that the beginning of "Disc 3" feels kinda rushed.

Hey FF GAF!!

I can't believe I've never posted in here, since I love the series so much (including the XIII) games...
ducks for cover

From the screenshots of the Complete Collection that I've seen the revised visuals look pretty nice?

The best version of FF4 is the DS version, since it has added plot, the Augment System, and is a much needed spike in difficulty over the original game. That said, I hear its fairly expensive to get, and FF4CC for 10 bucks is a steal. It looks pretty darn good, Cecil is a Super Saiyan, AND it comes with the best version of The After Years.

It's two games plus a bridging scenario for 10 bucks, so it's not bad at all.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Am I the only one who hated the Augment system in FF4DS? It seemed completely intransparent and random to me. Though, to be honest, I haven't played all that much of FF4DS yet.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I love Type-0 as much as the next guy, but I think there's no denying that the beginning of "Disc 3" feels kinda rushed.

I will say this. We had found data of more subquest missions(one of which was literally called SM: Story of GILGAMESH minus the caps along with a few others including more to do with Soryu) that were cut. And I believe some beta data where each of the summons including GILGAMESH were to have actual dialogue when summoned and for their attacks and stuff. More cut content I'm afraid. So yeah, Ifrit, Diablos, and Odin and others all had lines.

Pretty sure for the GILGAMESH one would have alluded to one of the boss battles you have against him.

Then of course you have all the different enemy models and a few summon models that are in the game but unused such as Typhon, Pandemona, an Unfinished Phoenix and a new one called Nemesis.

It's really quite interesting!

CorvoSol

Am I the only one who hated the Augment system in FF4DS? It seemed completely intransparent and random to me. Though, to be honest, I haven't played all that much of FF4DS yet.

I felt it gave a much needed element of customizability to the game. What I hated was "You only get so many NG+s"

Red Mage

The best version of FF4 is the DS version, since it has added plot, the Augment System, and is a much needed spike in difficulty over the original game. That said, I hear its fairly expensive to get, and FF4CC for 10 bucks is a steal. It looks pretty darn good, Cecil is a Super Saiyan, AND it comes with the best version of The After Years.

Am I the only one who was bored to tears with the DS version? It's combat is so slow and the need to give characters augments just to get theirs later was just annoying.

Heh, guess not.

If you like FF IV, the PSP version is pretty good. Definitely worth the 10€.

Sold! Thanks guys :) Although it's going to be forever til I play since I've only just started Persona4Golden but it'll be good to have :)

Hey FF GAF!!

ducks for cover

I don't post here often, but welcome. I believe the others have answered your FF4 questions, but CC is fine, but if you want a challenge get the DS version.
Are you excited for the return of our Goddess?

Wazzy

Banned
Lame no matter how you spin it, one of the best things about FFVIII was visiting all the beautiful cities and towns. Ultimecia sealing them off or whatever silly reason is just flat out dumb. I get it you want us to go to her castle, but why can't I have a pleasant walk through Balamb town just one more time before I do. Hell it would have been cool if she destroyed a few of the towns. Let me explore the destroyed towns, get me fired up for the inevitable fight. More of a pet peeve of mine really, let me explore the world even at the end game.
Oh I fully agree. I'll always love VIII and think it's the best in the series for me personally but there's flaws that I also acknowledge.

I don't trust Square to do a proper remake but god do I wish they could with the added content. Retranslation + added content + tuned battle system.

Guess I should clarify:
When "I said that VIII got dumb near the end because of time stuff" I meant that disk four was the weakest in terms of dealing with the "Time motif" that was strongly used in disks 1-3. Disk four just throws you into the future. The future sucks, and Squall says something about how SeeD members have been fighting Ultimecia for generations, now lets bust into this castle. That just felt weak to me. Why could there not have been another dream sequence in Disk 4 where you control the SeeDs from various generations fighting her and losing. Something to help establish how truly powerful Ultemicia is. Instead you are just funneled to that castle gate.
Yeah it's quite unfortunate.

VIII's final disc could have been fucking amazing. Imagine the added content combined with the final dungeon and ending?

Hey FF GAF!!

ducks for cover

Cor pretty much covered it. I prefer the IV CC since it comes with three games(the second game is shit and short but it's still a game) and I prefer the style better.

The 3DS version is pretty great, though.

I don't post here often, but welcome. I believe the others have answered your FF4 questions, but CC is fine, but if you want a challenge get the DS version.
Are you excited for the return of our Goddess?

Thanks man. Yeah I just played the LR demo and I enjoyed it. It won't be game of the century but it'll be nice to finally round off the series. I liked the nod to the first game when
Snow freezes the falling chandelier and it looks like Cocoon after it crystallised.

Fun battle system, it'll be a lot to get your teeth into. Although I've missed controlling a party, has to be said.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm playing the iOS port, I don't hate the augments but it's definitely the one thing that is making me glance at a FAQ. I like that it allows me to customize, but since it's mostly obscure and one-time use it also feels very "you'll screw this up unless you know exactly what you're doing", which is made worse by the fact that you need to have certain characters with augments in order to get new ones at certain points (something I didn't know either). As of now I'm not obsessed about getting them all in two playthroughs, but if I didn't decide to check an augment FAQ around the time Cecil
became a Paladin
I wouldn't even get Dualcast later on.

CorvoSol

I will say this. We had found data of more subquest missions(one of which was literally called SM: Story of GILGAMESH minus the caps along with a few others including more to do with Soryu) that were cut. And I believe some beta data where each of the summons including GILGAMESH were to have actual dialogue when summoned and for their attacks and stuff. More cut content I'm afraid. So yeah, Ifrit, Diablos, and Odin and others all had lines.

Pretty sure for the GILGAMESH one would have alluded to one of the boss battles you have against him.

Then of course you have all the different enemy models and a few summon models that are in the game but unused such as Typhon, Pandemona, an Unfinished Phoenix and a new one called Nemesis.

It's really quite interesting!

In my heart I still secretly hope that Square will release an English translated Final Mix of this game. I did my part and have a Vita, Square, now gimme this game to play it.

Oh I fully agree. I'll always love VIII and think it's the best in the series for me personally but there's flaws that I also acknowledge.

I don't trust Square to do a proper remake but god do I wish they could with the added content. Retranslation + added content + tuned battle system.

FFVIII is fantastic, I love it to pieces. My only knock against it is that short last disk. Besides that I never had problems with the story or characters. Also I love that battle system, so fun to break and mess around with limit breaks. Renzokuken + Lion Heart for life!. Junction was super interesting too.

Yeah it's quite unfortunate.

VIII's final disc could have been fucking amazing. Imagine the added content combined with the final dungeon and ending?

You're absolutely right, unfortunate indeed. Oh that would be sweet. That final dungeon and ending were awesome. The Extreme is one of the best final boss themes ever.

Wazzy

Banned
FFVIII is fantastic, I love it to pieces. My only knock against it is that short last disk. Besides that I never had problems with the story or characters. Also I love that battle system, so fun to break and mess around with limit breaks. Renzokuken + Lion Heart for life!. Junction was super interesting too.p
Yeah I love breaking the game. I do think there needs to be some tune ups to the battle system, though. I want faster battle speed, a bit of a reworking of the junction system and limit breaks need to be adjusted since as it stands, they're way too cheap.

You're absolutely right, unfortunate indeed. Oh that would be sweet. That final dungeon and ending were awesome. The Extreme is one of the best final boss themes ever.

The Extreme is amazing. The endings constant flow of great songs is just jaw dropping. You get Premonition then The Legendary Beast followed by Maybe I'm a Lion and The Extreme. Then the ending has Eye's on me, Final Fantasy theme and the orchestra ending.

Yeah I love breaking the game. I do think there needs to be some tune ups to the battle system, though. I want faster battle speed, a bit of a reworking of the junction system and limit breaks need to be adjusted since as it stands, they're way too cheap.

Yeah, tuning it up would not hurt. Remove "Armageddon Fist" or at least figure out a way to stop people from spamming those two moves. Don't touch Renzo though, my favorite Limit Break in the whole series :)

Then the ending has Eye's on me, Final Fantasy theme and the orchestra ending.

I'm currently practicing the Piano Collections version of Eye's On Me, so beautiful.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Schala you're doing the FF2 vs FF4 thing again.
I think this is where we have to agree to disagree again because we have had this discussion countless times and I know exactly where you're coming from, lol.

Having recently played FFV, I think I liked it more than any of the other SNES titles and PSX titles. I really enjoyed it a lot. Tons of tinkering available to the player in managing your party.

I haven't played Lightning Returns, but I've chatted with Kagari quite a bit on it (as well as watching a few of her streams) and garment/skill customization does seem to be the strong point. Schala's impressions echo most of the things I've heard (nice write up). Maybe I'll try out that demo today but I probably won't be able to get around to it. I still have the Bravely Default demo waiting to be played :/
(Thanks) Final Fantasy V just doesn't seem to waste my time like some of the other class-based games, and it's refined and sometimes balanced enough to have fun. The GBA dialogue is fun and the PS1 dialogue is a hilarious nightmare. But overall, it's always fun to come back to and play it with its many combinations and permutations in terms of party setup.

LR... doesn't really have that amount of flexibility, which is kind of a shame, and it feels easy to figure out what the world-ending tactics are at a certain span of time, provided you have the abilities to do it. Bravely Default, despite being able to equip a job, a subcommand from another job, and passives from other jobs (a max of 5 points, depending on how many points the passives take up), isn't as balanced as FF5, but it works. I will warn that there is a fair stretch in BD that makes it feel like it wastes your time. It is not a perfect game by any stretch of the word.

I will say that just watching LR streams won't give you a good idea of how the game handles. Hell, that's why if I think a GB Quick Look looks interesting, I'll just get the game and see what i think of it depending on my budget. But a lot of what I thought from watching a bit of Kagari's stream seemed to ring true in my assessment of it. Battle-wise, my experience is a little different, but more or less I feel like it truly is 1-person Party FF13 with a little more flexibility but you're still essentially doing the things you would have in the first two games but with less buffs/debuffs. You do have stuff like Regen Guard, a physical counter, a magic counter, etc. But at the same time, I still feel incredibly restricted. Even watching the initial battle footage of the game, I knew that was going to happen because that's exactly how the game looked--some flexibility but not enough. And when I got to play the full game I was kinda right.

You even have combination spells like ファイア+サンダー (fire and thunder), which... seem interesting. But overall, I feel like the best part of the game is customization. The battles are unrefined and I feel like I'm doing the same button presses quite a bit albeit with different abilities.

Granted, and I've been told this countless times on GAF, I seem to play games differently from a lot of folks, or I might be thinking "too hard" about things and not just "accepting things at face value because they just work and you shouldn't think about things any more than that".

It's always a pleasure reading your insightful impressions, Schala.

I sometimes use it when I feel a bit of nostalgia.

Now about imporant matters, why do we end up talking about FFIV always? We could talk about the FFI's story for example!
Thanks. It's nice that someone gets something out of those lately. I usually seem to ruffle feathers more often than not these days.

We talk about FFIV because Corvo can't stop bringing up his FFIV fanfiction. :p

I feel like everything I know about FF1's story has been muddied by 8-bit Theatre a little.

I'd honestly go with the DS version, but since the CC has the Interlude, TAY (which doesn't have the same RNG rates as the Wii version), and auto-battle, why not. If it's cheap, you might get more bang for your buck.

I'm currently practicing the Piano Collections version of Eye's On Me, so beautiful.
I sang that for a recital when I was a teenager, and I had to transpose the whole thing + rewrite the lyrics with better prose. It was interesting.

CorvoSol

I think this is where we have to agree to disagree again because we have had this discussion countless times and I know exactly where you're coming from, lol.

We talk about FFIV because Corvo can't stop bringing up his FFIV fanfiction. :p

We talk about FF4 because some people act like it's FF8 and the year is 1999.

I will agree that FF4's successors, FF5 and FF6, are its betters, though. Love me some Bartz and Terra.

I sang that for a recital when I was a teenager, and I had to transpose the whole thing + rewrite the lyrics with better prose. It was interesting.

Really! That so cool! Anyway I can listen to your transposed version!? Do you still have your re-written lyrics as well? I love hearing other peoples rendition of Final Fantasy music. The original lyrics of Eye's On Me were charming in their own right, but I love other people's take on it as well, such as Angela Aki's version.

All of that sounds way better than fanfics... coughCorvocoughFFIVcoughfanficcough. I need a cough drop. (Makoto hides rough draft of "On Cloud 9, a Cloud X Terra fanfic")

Jucksalbe

Banned
They still have to try a f2p version.
You have to pay to kill your party members. Sorry, to make them "sacrifice themselves".
But most likely they might start porting the 3D remake of TAY to other platforms.

Wazzy

Banned
We talk about FF4 because some people act like it's FF8 and the year is 1999.
I thought at first VIII was very well received but then the fan's divisive opinions started to get more vocal? I mean no matter what people say, VIII is one of the most popular in the series but I'm just having trouble remembering what happened when it was released. The after backlash is what sucked.

Either way, IV has it's problems but it's a great game and I'm not sure where the massive hate in here stems from.
Yeah, tuning it up would not hurt. Remove "Armageddon Fist" or at least figure out a way to stop people from spamming those two moves. Don't touch Renzo though, my favorite Limit Break in the whole series :)

Oh by tuning limit breaks I meant things like how you access them. I think VII and X did it best with a LB bar that you build up. Aura magic should also still be available but needs to have a shorter time limit.

I really want X's character switch out implemented into VIII's battle system. I also think it should be increased to four party members in battle but that's how I feel for every Final Fantasy.

Oh by tuning limit breaks I meant things like how you access them. I think VII and X did it best with a LB bar that you build up. Aura magic should also still be available but needs to have a shorter time limit.

I really want X's character switch out implemented into VIII's battle system. I also think it should be increased to four party members in battle but that's how I feel for every Final Fantasy.

Yeah a limit bar would be cool, I would miss mashing circle when I'm at critical health to get limits to pop up though. I loved how you can customize how the Overdrive gauge in FFX would charge. Switching characters mid battle would also be a pretty cool addition.

CorvoSol

They'd probably just tell you to buy the PSP version for that.

(That's what Konami did for Peace Walker, which suuuuuuuuucked)

Yeah I was bummed to see MGSHDV did not include Peace Walker. I own 3 versions of MGS3, which means that, after FF4 it's probably the game I own the most versions of.

I thought at first VIII was very well received but then the fan's divisive opinions started to get more vocal? I mean no matter what people say, VIII is one of the most popular in the series but I'm just having trouble remembering what happened when it was released. The after backlash is what sucked.

Either way, IV has it's problems but it's a great game and I'm not sure where the massive hate in here stems from.

Maybe 1999 was the wrong year but there was a long stretch where people didn't appreciate that FF8 was a damn fine game.
Aside from its plot and cast, I think FF8 is better than FF9. FF9's cast and story were stellar, but I'm still having flashbacks to how crappy the battles and minigames in 9 were.

Voror

In my heart I still secretly hope that Square will release an English translated Final Mix of this game. I did my part and have a Vita, Square, now gimme this game to play it.

Wouldn't that be nice. Restore the cut content to fill the game a bit more then release it digitally or something. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

The Goddess is an Army of One, you'll be fine.

I'm no one's slave!!

I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of VIII either. Of the PSOne FFs, the only one I think isn't really in need of a remake is IX. I do sometimes wonder if that VII remake they never really promised is ever going to happen.

I think on some level even SE is aware of just how badly that could go if they screw it up.

CorvoSol

Wouldn't that be nice. Restore the cut content to fill the game a bit more then release it digitally or something. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I love Type-0 so much I bought a copy for myself and my brother. Even though I don't speak Japanese. Game has its flaws but its still the best FF to come out post XII.

Voror

I love Type-0 so much I bought a copy for myself and my brother. Even though I don't speak Japanese. Game has its flaws but its still the best FF to come out post XII.

I'm strongly considering buying a PSP and the game for when the translation finally comes out. Neither is all that expensive and I'd also get a chance to play a few other games that never seemed to get put on PSN like Crisis Core.

CorvoSol

I'm strongly considering buying a PSP and the game for when the translation finally comes out. Neither is all that expensive and I'd also get a chance to play a few other games that never seemed to get put on PSN like Crisis Core.

I dunno how much a PSP costs but last time I checked Type-0 was pretty cheap these days. It's definitely a worthwhile game.

Ultratech

I was gonna say, when I bought mine it was like, 100 bucks, but that was 2011. Can't imagine the price hasn't fallen a fair amount since then.

When I got my PSP GO a few years back, I got it for $100.

Last I checked, the store I bought it from had it at $60.

I imagine the other systems have fallen quite a bit in price as well.

Heropon

Just when I was thinking that I bought the PSP for cheap, it seems everyone got it for much less. That game I didn't touch raised the price too much, I suppose.

Xux

Lack of BBS made the Go seem pretty worthless.

Guess I should get back into Dissidia. I got to the reason I bought the game (Zidane) and lost interest, lol.

So I've pretty much decided that FFVIII has the best OST in the entire series, with FFX coming in second. Randomly stumbled upon "The Oath" played by a full orchestra and wow that song is good.

Also I hope random Latin gibberish is the closest we get to a voiced song in FFXV because they are all terrible, no exceptions.

Top Bottom