• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Never been a huge fan of persona's music. It fits perfectly in game but listening to it on its own it doesn't really grab me. Only two tracks that really grab me are (kind of spoilery) this and this.

And (ending spoilers)
the ending theme is fucking perfect. All those feels after the ending.

So I've pretty much decided that FFVIII has the best OST in the entire series, with FFX coming in second.

I find it difficult to pick one OST as the best in the entire series, but FFVIII was pretty damn good. So many great tracks. That boss theme was soooooo good, got me hyped.

Never been a huge fan of persona's music. It fits perfectly in game but listening to it on its own it doesn't really grab me. Only two tracks that really grab me are (kind of spoilery) this and this.

And (ending spoilers)
the ending theme is fucking perfect. All those feels after the ending.

Both fantastic tracks. That ending song was absolutely beautiful, especially after everything that happened to everyone and one specific character.

Edit: I had to look up the lyrics in English to feel the full effect, then I let the feels wash over me.

Edit 2: Melodies of Life was also a fantastic song to end a game with. FFIX's ending was so emotional.

I would listen to Mass Destruction and Deep Breath all the time in my car.

turn that shit up in front of the police

That's pretty badass.

I remember when I sold IX when I was at Necron.

Horrible mistake, never pulled that stunt again, such an awesome ending.

What matters is you eventually saw that ending, awesome indeed.

Man, Final Fantasy IX guys! what an incredible game. My brother and I recently beat it on the PSP, worked great, except slow down when battling in forests. We were inspired to play through it again to do the Lost Nero Family Quest. My bro went the extra mile and did it all at level 1. Over achiever.

Wazzy

Banned
So I've pretty much decided that FFVIII has the best OST in the entire series, with FFX coming in second. Randomly stumbled upon "The Oath" played by a full orchestra and wow that song is good.
This truth.

Though the voiced songs are great so we'll delete those lies :D

Maybe 1999 was the wrong year but there was a long stretch where people didn't appreciate that FF8 was a damn fine game.
Aside from its plot and cast, I think FF8 is better than FF9. FF9's cast and story were stellar, but I'm still having flashbacks to how crappy the battles and minigames in 9 were.
I agree but I honestly prefer VIII's cast. But I don't blame people for liking IX's more. I just connected with VIII's cast better.

And ugh don't remind me of Tetra Master. What a crappy attempt at replicating Triple Triads magic.

So I've pretty much decided that FFVIII has the best OST in the entire series, with FFX coming in second. Randomly stumbled upon "The Oath" played by a full orchestra and wow that song is good.

Also I hope random Latin gibberish is the closest we get to a voiced song in FFXV because they are all terrible, no exceptions.

VIII is really good. But if I had to pick one song as the best it would have to be To Zanarkand in FFX. I just love piano arrangements. Probably the reason I like Somnus so much.

Yeah I am not a fan of voiced songs but when they're done right (like in KH1 and KH2) they can be fine. But I hope FFXV stays far away from that too.

I can't stand voiced songs for the most part. I like them when they are used sparingly but when they are used often, ugh. Just keep it instrumental please.

Second time when I knew what happened to Vivi my eyes got wet ;_;
I feel your pain.
Maybe 1999 was the wrong year but there was a long stretch where people didn't appreciate that FF8 was a damn fine game.
Aside from its plot and cast, I think FF8 is better than FF9. FF9's cast and story were stellar, but I'm still having flashbacks to how crappy the battles and minigames in 9 were.
FFVIII was great in 1999 and still great today, people in 1999 were insane, must have been the impending threat of Y2K. Gameplay wise, I give it to FFVIII, Junctions, GF, Limits, even if the combat can be broken, I had tons of fun. Cast and story go to FFIX. As for the battles, I would not call them crappy, but deliberate. They were going for slower paced traditional JRPG battles which is cool. Probably would have been better to speed things up. I also liked Chocobo hot and cold, probably in the minority.
And ugh don't remind me of Tetra Master. What a crappy attempt at replicating Triple Triads magic.
Tetra Master was interesting, never fully grasped it though. Triple Triads was awesome, plus you can turn those cards into items, Triple Triads hands down.

Banzai

Tetra Master was interesting, never fully grasped it though. Triple Triads was awesome, plus you can turn those cards into items, Triple Triads hands down.

What the hell do those number on the cards mean! :D I always just hoped my rare cards would win the fights. Tournament was a nightmare.

Triple Triad for life.

i was always way better at tetra master than Triple Triad.

Considering how Triple Triad is much simpler and better designed I don't know how.

PK Gaming

I loved the hell out of Tetra Masters on my first run through FFIX. It was like an ingame version of Yugioh for me and I spent maybe a good 5 hours on it alone. After playing through FFVIII and then going back to FFIX, I started to hate it. It's bad enough that it was just a TT downgrade, but it was also fundamentally flawed with its random element nonsense.

Voror

It's funny, but I never bothered with either card game back when I played these. I never saw the point.

I mean to replay them, although in IX's case I might go a little crazy trying to get everyone's levels and stats right given all the hidden factors that deal with that. It'd probably be better if I just stopped caring about it, but I've developed this slightly obsessive thing about making sure everyone's as strong as can possibly be.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I probably played more of Triple Triad than the rest of FF VIII. I already wasted hours just trying to get my Ifrit card back in several playthroughs.
But I could never get into Tetra Master. The first time I didn't really understand it and when I looked up the rules, I just found it boring. Sphere Break is another good FF mini game.

PK Gaming

tetra_master_by_boum-d4lxdl5.jpg

Link1110

Just beat X for the first time. I was trying to go for Anima, but Dark Valefor got in the way, and after 20 hours of trying to get all the monsters so I can get the dark matter and give Tidus BDL because I can't beat that Chocobo race, I didn't wanna bother anymore so I just went ahead and beat the game.

That was a sad ending. Had me crying.
"And for the ones we lost, even if it's not very often... Try to think about them every once in a while."

CorvoSol

I feel your pain.
FFVIII was great in 1999 and still great today, people in 1999 were insane, must have been the impending threat of Y2K. Gameplay wise, I give it to FFVIII, Junctions, GF, Limits, even if the combat can be broken, I had tons of fun. Cast and story go to FFIX. As for the battles, I would not call them crappy, but deliberate. They were going for slower paced traditional JRPG battles which is cool. Probably would have been better to speed things up. I also liked Chocobo hot and cold, probably in the minority.

I would've loved IX a lot more if its battles could have increased in speed. Chocobo hot and cold was terrible (the music is amazing), but it also wasn't mandatory or anything.

Just beat X for the first time. I was trying to go for Anima, but Dark Valefor got in the way, and after 20 hours of trying to get all the monsters so I can get the dark matter and give Tidus BDL because I can't beat that Chocobo race, I didn't wanna bother anymore so I just went ahead and beat the game.

That was a sad ending. Had me crying.
"And for the ones we lost, even if it's not very often... Try to think about them every once in a while."

Congrats! Final Fantasy X is an incredible game. The Chocobo race in X was pretty stupid though, but not impossible. Just takes a lot of practice and patience. Dodging lightning was also a pain in the butt. That ending was beautiful.

CorvoSol

DARK SCHALA since you hate all 3 of these games, which do you recommend I do while waiting for Bravely Default:

1. Finish Sticker Star
2. Finish Project X-Zone
3. Start Tales of the Abyss.

Eventually I'll do all three, but February's gonna be nuts for my 3DS anyway since I assume the Pokebank will come out finally, giving me a reason to play Pokemon X.

I would've loved IX a lot more if its battles could have increased in speed. Chocobo hot and cold was terrible (the music is amazing), but it also wasn't mandatory or anything.

Whattttttt? Chocobo Hot and Cold is one of the best minigames in the series! :p It's really addicting.

I admit the battles in FFIX are a bit slow, but it never seemed like that big of a deal to me personally.

Start Tales of the Abyss so you can know the essence of douchebaggery and fuckheadedness that is the Abyss cast.

Fuck.

Those.

Guys.

Agreed. I started that game earlier last year, but quit a few hours in. The cast (in particular Luke) is really obnoxious. I'd like to give it another try one day, but ugh. I dunno.

In FFIX you can increase the battle speed in the options, but it doesn't help much really. Though I liked the deliberately slower pace, increasing the overall speed would definitely make the game's battles better.

Chocobo Hot and Cold was awesome, CorvoSol is just jealous that he is a raven and not a Chocobo. Though everytime I think of Corvo, I think of Dishonored.

When it comes to Chocobo related side quests the correct order is:
FFVII Chocobo Breeding/Racing > FFIX Hot and Cold > > > > > > > > > > > > > > FFX Chocobo stupidity.

Chocobo Hot and Cold was awesome, CorvoSol is just jealous that he is a raven and not a Chocobo. Though everytime I think of Corvo, I think of Dishonored.

lol, me too.

FFVII Chocobo Breeding/Racing > FFIX Hot and Cold > > > > > > > > > > > > > > FFX Chocobo stupidity.

I would agree with that. Although I might place Hot and Cold over FFVII's chocobo breeding/racing - I'm not sure. Both were great, though. FFX Chocobo stuff, ugh. I dread that when I play the HD remaster soon. D:

CorvoSol

Start Tales of the Abyss so you can know the essence of douchebaggery and fuckheadedness that is the Abyss cast.

Fuck.

Those.

Guys.

Haha, man if the cast is as bad as people tell me it's gonna be a wall banger coming off of P4G. Where I sincerely feel that the cast is as endearing as FF6's.
SHUSH BEEF I LOVE THEM.

Whattttttt? Chocobo Hot and Cold is one of the best minigames in the series! :p It's really addicting.

I admit the battles in FFIX are a bit slow, but it never seemed like that big of a deal to me personally.

I think that 9's slowdown is accentuated by the fact that 8 and 10's battles are so much more fluid, really. It's hardly enough to ruin a game I love, but it certainly is chief among my complaints. As to Chocobo Hot and Cold, I have terrible luck so the minigame more or less felt skewed against me.

1. Ravens > Chickens. Ravens can be taught to speak like parrots, man. It blows that they're illegal to own because THEY CAN BE TAUGHT TO SPEAK. Think about it. Everywhere you go in North America you're surrounded by birds capable of learning your speech. I'd like to see a chicken do that.

2. I agree completely. I'd much sooner play Hot and Cold than run into Seagulls.

IX's slow battles suck but I always thought it was kind of cool that they were a result of the game being too powerful for the PSX. And that it was only 4 or so years after the blocky mess of VII.

IX's slow battles suck but I always thought it was kind of cool that they were a result of the game being too powerful for the PSX. And that it was only 4 or so years after the blocky mess of VII.

That's not why the battles are slow (outside of the initial long loading times, I suppose, for more effects/texture). They're slow because of the specific implementation of ATB that FF9 uses.

If you play Final Fantasy IX on the Vita - you can set the disc load speed to fast and the battles actually are much better. The only problem is that the music during FMV's messes up so you either have to switch back and forth or pick one and live with the flaws.

Remember the Trance system?

What a crock of shit that was.

I liked when it was story related sometimes but otherwise man what an awful idea.

I liked when it was story related sometimes but otherwise man what an awful idea.

I wouldn't have minded so much if you could chose to trigger it when the bar was full.

The amount of times Zidane would go into trance, and I'd just be there steal.....steal...steal....steal.... oh look the trance has gone....

Or it'd be triggered just before the battle ended. That was so annoying.

Yeah Trance was dumb, only cool for story purposes, but easily wasted it fighting some worthless enemy.

Haha, man if the cast is as bad as people tell me it's gonna be a wall banger coming off of P4G. Where I sincerely feel that the cast is as endearing as FF6's.
SHUSH BEEF I LOVE THEM.

I think that 9's slowdown is accentuated by the fact that 8 and 10's battles are so much more fluid, really. It's hardly enough to ruin a game I love, but it certainly is chief among my complaints. As to Chocobo Hot and Cold, I have terrible luck so the minigame more or less felt skewed against me.

1. Ravens > Chickens. Ravens can be taught to speak like parrots, man. It blows that they're illegal to own because THEY CAN BE TAUGHT TO SPEAK. Think about it. Everywhere you go in North America you're surrounded by birds capable of learning your speech. I'd like to see a chicken do that.

2. I agree completely. I'd much sooner play Hot and Cold than run into Seagulls.

Yes, FF6 and the cast of P4 are fantastic, endearing is a great word to describe them. Never played P4Golden though, so don't know much about Marie. My sealed copy is crying.
Still prefer P3 cast to P4, but that's just me :p

I agree with that complaint of Hot and Cold, luck sometimes worked against the player leading to frustration. Still, better than crappy chocobos in FFX.

1. Chickens > Ravens. Chickens taste better than ravens, probably. If I could have a pet raven I would name it Corvo and teach it to recite your Final Fantasy IV fanfic that Dark Schala is convinced you have written.

2. I once chased sea gulls around at Santa Monica Pier listening to an iPod playing A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran. College was fun.

Voror

The way Trance worked wasn't very good I thought. I seriously do wonder how IX would be if it got some kind of re-release that had the battles sped up.

Abyss is pretty fun with the gameplay. Story is okay at best but has a huge drag in the middle. And yeah, the cast is generally pretty unlikable, except for Guy and Natalia I'd say.

Top Bottom