• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

Yes, FF6 and the cast of P4 are fantastic, endearing is a great word to describe them. Never played P4Golden though, so don't know much about Marie. My sealed copy is crying.
Still prefer P3 cast to P4, but that's just me :p

I agree with that complaint of Hot and Cold, luck sometimes worked against the player leading to frustration. Still, better than crappy chocobos in FFX.

1. Chickens > Ravens. Chickens taste better than ravens, probably. If I could have a pet raven I would name it Corvo and teach it to recite your Final Fantasy IV fanfic that Dark Schala is convinced you have written.

2. I once chased sea gulls around at Santa Monica Pier listening to an iPod playing A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran. College was fun.

Haha, I wonder if my brother ever did things like that. He went to college down in Cali. I'm here in Idaho and my college schedule brings me here Fall and Winter only, so I just sort of stare at the cold outside world. I've become such a shut in, haha.

Training a bird to squawk annoying things at Schala sounds like a great extra credit activity for the thread.

Wazzy

Banned
Abyss's cast isn't that bad. There's a couple characters that are annoying but overall it's got some great ones like Guy, Natasha and I guess that twat Jade.

CorvoSol

Abyss's cast isn't that bad. There's a couple characters that are annoying but overall it's got some great ones like Guy, Natasha and I guess that twat Jade.

Man if you have to call someone a twat as part of your defense of the game's cast I really am curious how this is gonna go down, hahaha.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Training a bird to squawk annoying things at Schala sounds like a great extra credit activity for the thread.
It exists.

It's called Twitter.

DARK SCHALA since you hate all 3 of these games, which do you recommend I do while waiting for Bravely Default:

1. Finish Sticker Star
2. Finish Project X-Zone
3. Start Tales of the Abyss.

Eventually I'll do all three, but February's gonna be nuts for my 3DS anyway since I assume the Pokebank will come out finally, giving me a reason to play Pokemon X.
Finish the game that you're going to finish sooner. Abyss can be long. If you're not enjoying PXZ now and you're only halfway through the game, you're probably not going to enjoy it towards the end because it's the same stuff ad nauseam. I'd honestly finish Sticker Star because it's not really that long, and it feels more creative than the others.

I feel like everytime we're done with an FF IV discussion SquareEnix releases a new port.
If they release FF4-anything again, I swear...

Seriously. Tokita, pls.

Really! That so cool! Anyway I can listen to your transposed version!? Do you still have your re-written lyrics as well? I love hearing other peoples rendition of Final Fantasy music. The original lyrics of Eye's On Me were charming in their own right, but I love other people's take on it as well, such as Angela Aki's version.
I looked for it (as in the recording I had of it--because we usually made recordings of everything we did) in my guitar case and my vocal music stuff last night, but I couldn't find it. That sucks, because I was really proud of my work. I'm a mezzo-soprano, so going down for that song was pretty neat for me at the time. Shucks. If I find it, I'll let you know.

The sheet music that I wrote all over is in my mess of a closet somewhere. I know because it's with my single-song sheet music stuff and some of the stuff I got for choir.

Wazzy

Banned
Man if you have to call someone a twat as part of your defense of the game's cast I really am curious how this is gonna go down, hahaha.

It's because Jade is gigantic douche. The thing is, he's pretty much right so a lot of the characters justify his attitude.

I will stand by the fact Guy is awesome. Luke improves but he is the most obnoxious character in the beginning. I'm all for character arcs but his just paints him as the worst person ever. Unlike Squall who actually opens up almost immediately.

CorvoSol

It exists.

It's called Twitter.

Finish the game that you're going to finish sooner. Abyss can be long. If you're not enjoying PXZ now and you're only halfway through the game, you're probably not going to enjoy it towards the end because it's the same stuff ad nauseam. I'd honestly finish Sticker Star because it's not really that long, and it feels more creative than the others.

If they release FF4-anything again, I swear...

Seriously. Tokita, pls.

In a rare moment of honesty I will not deny that Tokita's love for Final Fantasy 4 approaches Toriyama's love for 13.

I might try and finish Sticker Star but I'm not in a rush with Project X-Zone. I think I'm fairly close to the end of X-Zone, though. I think I'll use Sticker Star to scratch my "I need to do some platforming" itch while separated from the bliss that is my Wii U.

Voror

It's because Jade is gigantic douche. The thing is, he's pretty much right so a lot of the characters justify his attitude.

I will stand by the fact Guy is awesome. Luke improves but he is the most obnoxious character in the beginning. I'm all for character arcs but his just paints him as the worst person ever. Unlike Squall who actually opens up almost immediately.

Luke's situation is a bit interesting once you learn a bit more of his backstory. It doesn't necessarily justify what a complete and utter jerk he is, but it does explain it somewhat. I think where they messed up is that his sudden change is too sudden.

I think they were trying to make us dislike him, but they did it too well.

Wazzy

Banned
Luke's situation is a bit interesting once you learn a bit more of his backstory. It doesn't necessarily justify what a complete and utter jerk he is, but it does explain it somewhat. I think where they messed up is that his sudden change is too sudden.

I think they were trying to make us dislike him, but they did it too well.

Oh I know. Like you said, they took it to an extreme with him so it made him completely unlikable in the beginning. I usually don't mind that kind of character arc but there has to be something redeemable for me to enjoy it and he had nothing going until his 180.

Anise is obnoxious but I got used to her by the end. Asche is the true worst character in the game. I hate him so much.

Haha, I wonder if my brother ever did things like that. He went to college down in Cali. I'm here in Idaho and my college schedule brings me here Fall and Winter only, so I just sort of stare at the cold outside world. I've become such a shut in, haha.

I love living in SoCal, but honestly It's not the perfect picturesque place everyone imagines it. I had family visit from Australia and they went on and on about how Cali is so and so, but that's only in the movies.

Every time we pick family up from LAX I see Square Enix's building off Sepulveda and have wanted to bust in demanding FFXV. Been waiting forever, got a PS3 just for versus XIII. What a dumb mistake. At least P5 is coming to PS3, hope it stays exclusive. Then again that's just me being spiteful. This generation has been a mess for Square, hopefully Atlus can put out a decent PS3 exclusive. Show'em how its done Persona team.

There is something peaceful about the cold, do you get a lot of snow? Playing video games while it snows outside sounds like the most relaxing thing ever.

I looked for it (as in the recording I had of it--because we usually made recordings of everything we did) in my guitar case and my vocal music stuff last night, but I couldn't find it. That sucks, because I was really proud of my work. I'm a mezzo-soprano, so going down for that song was pretty neat for me at the time. Shucks. If I find it, I'll let you know.

The sheet music that I wrote all over is in my mess of a closet somewhere. I know because it's with my single-song sheet music stuff and some of the stuff I got for choir.

Mezzo-saprono, If I'm not mistake, Georges Bizet's Carmen is sung in that. I'm not too familiar with classical music though. Really wish I went to music school as a kid (or at least took more dance classes in college). I got something better though, my grandmother teaching me to read sheet music :) She loves it when I play To Zanarkand and Eye's On Me from the piano collection. Need to practice way more. If I ever find the time, I want to learn Melodies of Life or Tifa's Theme from the piano collection.

If you find It I would be more than elated to listen ^_^

Voror

Oh I know. Like you said, they took it to an extreme with him so it made him completely unlikable in the beginning. I usually don't mind that kind of character arc but there has to be something redeemable for me to enjoy it and he had nothing going until his 180.

Anise is obnoxious but I got used to her by the end. Asche is the true worst character in the game. I hate him so much.

Precisely. I think he had maybe one or two little moments where he wasn't a complete asshole, but they were so small they didn't matter. And the way he treated Mieu was sickening to me honestly.

I got used to it to a degree, but still found her irritating. Tear pissed me off due to being such a hypocrite in regards to her constant criticism of Luke's trust in Van.

Jade I don't mind as much because being a jerk is his whole thing and at least he's funny at times. Not to mention all the self loathing there.

Natalia and Guy were alright. Not perfect by any means, but willing to admit their errors and try to move past it. At least I think that was the case.

I liked Luke better as an asshole.

Better that than a doormat.

He was more assertive and not quite so depressing.

That's not why the battles are slow (outside of the initial long loading times, I suppose, for more effects/texture). They're slow because of the specific implementation of ATB that FF9 uses.

Ah, well that's disappointing. Wonder why they thought it was a good idea.

And fuck trance.

CorvoSol

I just realized the source of the Trance complaints is that it always triggered like, one fight prior to a boss. So yeah, I hated that, too.

So what do you think, FF thread? We gonna see an increase in activity when the Heavens open and Project Doomtrain bestows the Type-0 translation patch on us? Cuz I am as hyped for that as I was when Type-0 came out. I remember the days on the Type-0 board on GameFAQs with Magius so long ago, and how we both desperately hoped the game was getting localized.

I check the project pages fanatically now, haha. I'm so ready for that game again.

Ultratech

i was always way better at tetra master than Triple Triad.

Considering how Triple Triad is much simpler and better designed I don't know how.

Same here.

I'm not entirely sure how, but I had a way better grasp on Tetra Master to a point where I could win almost every duel.

(Then I went and had to be a dumbass and have the max amount of cards, so when I got the particularly rare ones from Chocobo Hot & Cold, they got automatically discarded due to lack of space.)

Jade is kind of a jerk, but he's still pretty hilarious.

Luke's very obnoxious at the start, but that's basically on purpose.

I started FFXIII, its the only main line I have not beat other than FFII. So far I like the music, graphics, and battles. Not a fan of everything else, really hope the gameplay can hold my attention. Feels like the most anime Final Fantasy ever. I like occasional anime, but man, this is the kind of anime I don't like.

Wazzy

Banned
I miss making AMV's, especially Final Fantasy ones. They were so bad but it was fun, heh. I used the crappiest program too.

I just realized the source of the Trance complaints is that it always triggered like, one fight prior to a boss. So yeah, I hated that, too.

So what do you think, FF thread? We gonna see an increase in activity when the Heavens open and Project Doomtrain bestows the Type-0 translation patch on us? Cuz I am as hyped for that as I was when Type-0 came out. I remember the days on the Type-0 board on GameFAQs with Magius so long ago, and how we both desperately hoped the game was getting localized.

I check the project pages fanatically now, haha. I'm so ready for that game again.

I'm really excited to play it. I haven't dusted off my PSP since I played Crisis Core and I loved that.

Really want to see what all the hype's about. After modding my purchased copy of FFVII with Tifa's bootleg, I've decided I really love FF fans.
Until they start bitching about remakes or Lightning :p

CorvoSol

I'm really excited to play it. I haven't dusted off my PSP since I played Crisis Core and I loved that.

Really want to see what all the hype's about. After modding my purchased copy of FFVII with Tifa's bootleg, I've decided I really love FF fans.
Until they start bitching about remakes or Lightning :p

Type-0 has the best version of Lightning anyway, and we will all unite to that fact when we play it in glorious English.

Red Mage

In a rare moment of honesty I will not deny that Tokita's love for Final Fantasy 4 approaches Toriyama's love for 13.

I might try and finish Sticker Star but I'm not in a rush with Project X-Zone. I think I'm fairly close to the end of X-Zone, though. I think I'll use Sticker Star to scratch my "I need to do some platforming" itch while separated from the bliss that is my Wii U.

Toriyama doesn't love 13, though, just Lightning. = P

I liked Luke better as an asshole.

Better that than a doormat.

I liked Luke better that way too. I think part of it is that I hate the cutesy pet creatures you find in RPGs and Luke just beating the crap out of Meiru gave me an unnatural level of satisfaction.

I started FFXIII, its the only main line I have not beat other than FFII. So far I like the music, graphics, and battles. Not a fan of everything else, really hope the gameplay can hold my attention. Feels like the most anime Final Fantasy ever. I like occasional anime, but man, this is the kind of anime I don't like.

It's honestly worse than FFII. Go get the Dawn of Souls/PSP version of II and play it. It's much more enjoyable than XIII. Since the difficulty outside of post-game content is non-existant, just youtube the cut scenes of XIII.

It's honestly worse than FFII. Go get the Dawn of Souls/PSP version of II and play it. It's much more enjoyable than XIII. Since the difficulty outside of post-game content is non-existant, just youtube the cut scenes of XIII.

I tried the PSone anthology version of II, got bored. Tried the Dawn of Souls version, liked it more, but never finished it. My PSP copy is still sealed. Hopefully I will get back to it one day. I got lost after the snow area. I had to go to some kind of airship. The stat progression system of II is really cool actually. Nothing funner then my party beating each other up senselessly, completing a battle, and being rewarded stats.

Honestly though, I'm enjoying XIII more that I would like to admit. The combat at least and aesthetics. Gorgeous game, I'm a fan of the art direction. Eidelons are stupid though, transforming twin sister Shivas? Someone at Square must have loved those terrible Michael Bay Transformers movies.

People complained that FFX was linear. I didn't think it was that linear. At least it felt like I was exploring each new area. FFXIII feels like the Call of Duty of JRPGs, a long corridor crawl littered with battles here and there.

Linearity, and characters are really dragging it down. The story seems interesting, but it's bogged down by so much jargon. The material the VA's were given isn't stellar either, which is sad because I feel like they are doing a great job with bad material. I don't even want to talk about the characters yet.

If it wasn't for the combat, or the beautiful (albeit linear) areas I would have been done by now.

... I also gave Snow a Spark Ring since it reduces damage from Lightning, that women has a mean punch.

FFXIII isn't that bad. The gameplay can be fun and when it opens up at chapter 11 I had a genuinely enjoyable experience.

The problem is that the plot, dialogue, and characters barring maybe Sazh and Fang are all horrendously written. I don't think there has ever been a game with so hours of cutscenes and lines of dialogue that manages to say absolutely nothing.

FFXIII isn't that bad. The gameplay can be fun and when it opens up at chapter 11 I had a genuinely enjoyable experience.

Never had fun with the gameplay in FFXIII. I operate on the notion that gameplay is more than just the battle system, and to be honest while the battle system worked it takes far too long to open up. And as for things outside the battle system...there's what...nothing?

Nothing at all. Exploration has been destroyed in favor of pushing you down tubes to get to cutscenes(that aren't fucking good) and because of this it's not like the levels are actually anything but art asset galleries in the hopes that the player will be too mesmerized by pretty graphics to realize that the environments they are in aren't intractable in the slightest.

And if you find the art direction of the game garish then god help you there's nothing in it for you after that.

That's my experience with it.

May not be the worst game ever made(that's Big Rigs) but it is my most disliked.

CorvoSol

The problem is that the plot, dialogue, and characters barring maybe Sazh and Fang are all horrendously written. I don't think there has ever been a game with so hours of cutscenes and lines of dialogue that manages to say absolutely nothing.

I actually liked Lightning in FFXIII. In XIII-2 she's become horrible, but Serah has become enjoyable (as long as you choose to play Serah as Stupid Sexy Serah, that is), so I guess it's a trade off. I constantly waver between actual hatred of FFXIII as a series and ironic enjoyment.

Voror

This actually makes me curious on how tutorials and combat will be handled in XV though I imagine thy since it's a completely different director and team we might not have I worry too much.

I've sort of been thinking that those scenes we've seen a couple of times with Noctis as a kid are early tutorials perhaps.

Well I thought the art direction was god-awful (team NORA lololollololl), and I've mentioned somewhere in this thread how something went horribly wrong when trying to convert Nomura's character art into the HD "realistic" look that Square loves nowadays.

Considering the numerous issues I had with the game it's probably a bit weird that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

CorvoSol

Well I thought the art direction was god-awful (team NORA lololollololl), and I've mentioned somewhere in this thread how something went horribly wrong when trying to convert Nomura's character art into the HD "realistic" look that Square loves nowadays.

Considering the numerous issues I had with the game it's probably a bit weird that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

If Team NORA were a single character they would be the worst character in Final Fantasy.

Since they're not the unholy trinity continues to be Krile > Genesis > Snow.

Red Mage

Lies. = P

The game restricts you throughout the whole thing. Heck, you cannot do most of the sidequests until you beat the game, and it even controls what your stats are at each stage of the game. I think the only reason you game over if your main character dies is because they realized too late that the battle system is way, way too easy.

Corvo pls. Everyone knows the worst FF character is that blonde chick from FFIV.

Psst, that's a dude. Hence his name: Edward.

Edward is a guy and he just has self esteem issues. Krile's head is the 4th world in FF5.

980.gif

CorvoSol

Nothing, but that's the worst thing about generic npcs. You don't know when they'll stab you in the back and this girl has a suspicious aura around her. Look at her dead eyes!

It's not her fault that Yoshida has been drawing women to look like Ramza Beoulve since the 90s.

I agree, It's not that bad, from what I have played. That being said, it's not that great either. FFXIII must have the world's longest tutorial. I still keep getting tutorials 4 chapters in.

Team NORA... more like team NLOLOLOLA amiright?!

That one dude who looks like a really bad Wakka cosplay, or some kind of off-brand Wakka. They are all terrible looking. That kid with the dumbass headphone things, blue hair dude, ugh. Lebreau is kinda cute, but she looks like she would fit into FFX more so than this game.

The things that make a Final Fantasy game to me have always been a likable cast, story, reoccurring things like crystals/moogles and a beautiful world to explored.

I don't like this cast very much, the story (though kinda interesting) is told horribly, and the world itself looks like it would be fun to explore... oh wait... let me just run down this tunnel... Though it bears the name Final Fantasy. It doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy. Feels more like the most expensive anime movie ever.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Lies. = P

The game restricts you throughout the whole thing. Heck, you cannot do most of the sidequests until you beat the game, and it even controls what your stats are at each stage of the game. I think the only reason you game over if your main character dies is because they realized too late that the battle system is way, way too easy.

XIII isn't that bad if you ignore everything bad about it. But what do I know. I play Tecmo Koei's Musou games and love them.

Never had fun with the gameplay in FFXIII. I operate on the notion that gameplay is more than just the battle system, and to be honest while the battle system worked it takes far too long to open up. And as for things outside the battle system...there's what...nothing?

Nothing at all. Exploration has been destroyed in favor of pushing you down tubes to get to cutscenes(that aren't fucking good) and because of this it's not like the levels are actually anything but art asset galleries in the hopes that the player will be too mesmerized by pretty graphics to realize that the environments they are in aren't intractable in the slightest.

And if you find the art direction of the game garish then god help you there's nothing in it for you after that.

That's my experience with it.

May not be the worst game ever made(that's Big Rigs) but it is my most disliked.

The actual battles are alright, but both the equipment system and the experience system boil down to dumping points into a bucket to get stronger. The only real choices you ever get to make are picking which bucket to dump points into first.

Setting up paradigms is reasonably fun, except the broken Commando A.I. means you pretty much cheese through every single normal-enemy battle in the game by using RAV/RAV/COM, and once you've maxed out your characters, the way Role bonuses stack means that your best bet is just about always going to be six paradigms of all three characters using the same role (with the sole exception, perhaps, of not having three COM characters because of aforementioned broken-ass Commando AI).

Yeah at least to me, it got very formulaic even when it opened up, to start off RAV/RAV/COM, then COM/COM/RAV/ or COM/COM COM if it suits you. For bosses you have to have mixes of SAB and SYN in there so you don't get cheesed early on.

People feel that the combat is unique but to me it just feels way too macro and streamlined.

I never got into any of the battles,, not to say they were all easy (Barthandalus is tougher than moms) but I never really got into it the way other people seem to.

I always thought it was funny how Snow literally goes through no character development. He's the reason all those people die in the beginning and the only repercussion he gets is Hope saying "Grr you killed me mom now I'm going to kill you." But then Snow's all like "I know man I feel really guilty here are some inspirational words" and then he continues to be the exact same character that he was for the first ten hours of the game.

Also I've been wondering why all three title screens for the XIII games mention how Nomura did the character designs but nothing else. It just seems really random.

CorvoSol

I always thought it was funny how Snow literally goes through no character development. He's the reason all those people die in the beginning and the only repercussion he gets is Hope saying "Grr you killed me mom now I'm going to kill you." But then Snow's all like "I know man I feel really guilty here are some inspirational words" and then he continues to be the exact same character that he was for the first ten hours of the game.

Also I've been wondering why all three title screens for the XIII games mention how Nomura did the character designs but nothing else. It just seems really random.

Because Nomura wanted it made very clear he had as little to do with that shit as possible.

They do look good. I actually really like Nomura as an artist.

I like the way he draws, but I don't always like what he draws.

Agreed, well said.

I'm at chapter 5, I'm really tired of the way XIII constantly jumps back and forth between characters. Also tired of going back to "to the past" to relive or see events that have occurred before that game starts. What a crappy way to tell a story.

CorvoSol

Agreed, well said.

I'm at chapter 5, I'm really tired of the way XIII constantly jumps back and forth between characters. Also tired of going back to "to the past" to relive or see events that have occurred before that game starts. What a crappy way to tell a story.

I think XIII could have told a compelling story. It just went out of its way not to.

Top Bottom