• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

Never a good sign. Having a Advent Children label doesn't help either.

Actually "Advent Children" is correct. The Chinese Hack is technically titled "Final Fantasy VII Advent Children" and has the Advent Children version of the logo on the start up screen. No other reference to the film is made during the game, since the game is actually a pretty faithful recreation of FF7 for the NES, but "Advent Children" is in this case a point in favor, rather than against, the authenticity of the item.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Actually "Advent Children" is correct. The Chinese Hack is technically titled "Final Fantasy VII Advent Children" and has the Advent Children version of the logo on the start up screen. No other reference to the film is made during the game, since the game is actually a pretty faithful recreation of FF7 for the NES, but "Advent Children" is in this case a point in favor, rather than against, the authenticity of the item.

Interesting.

Wish I could. But I won't. Kinda burnt out on anything FF that isn't BD or Type 0. Please understand.

Not feeling the FFXV love?

Probably the only thing I've been excited for FF related besides BD and Type-0. Then again, I've been waiting since like 2006... geez I've been waiting since I was a sophomore in high school.

I'm the same. The only games I'm looking forward to right now are BD and FF X/X-2HD.

Can't wait for FFX/X-2HD, gonna rage so much when I play that stupid Chocobo thing again. The only thing that bums me out about that is the crappy FFX - Will - bullcrap, and knowing that the novel FFX 2.5 exists.

Seda

The butterfly minigame was always the hardest celestial weapon minigame for me. I've done it a couple of times now though, so hopefully it isn't as difficult this time around.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Let's put it this way. I can actually play Bravely Default in 2 weeks. I am not given the same luxury with XV. Which has a ban on information and relies on a smoke and mirror show to wow it's fans. So naturally I'm not gonna be the ideal optimist.

If Monolithsoft pops out Project X in 4 years after Xenoblade that will be amazing. And it was announced a year ago. And might be released this year. XV was announced in 2006. And it's 2014 now. I think you can understand why I and maybe others might be unsettled by that.

Heropon

The butterfly minigame was always the hardest celestial weapon minigame for me. I've done it a couple of times now though, so hopefully it isn't as difficult this time around.

I can't speak about its difficulty because I haven't even tried it thanks to a total apathy towards Kimahri. Maybe I'll try it when the HD collection releases to get celestial weapons' trophy... I better not, I think it isn't worth it. The only platinum I have is the XIII-2 one because it was the only way to get some juice from that game and even then it was too short.

Let's put it this way. I can actually play Bravely Default in 2 weeks. I am not given the same luxury with XV. Which has a ban on information and relies on a smoke and mirror show to wow it's fans. So naturally I'm not gonna be the ideal optimist.

If Monolithsoft pops out Project X in 4 years after Xenoblade that will be amazing. And it was announced a year ago. And might be released this year. XV was announced in 2006. And it's 2014 now. I think you can understand why I and maybe others might be unsettled by that.

Your words of truth cut deeper than any blade. I can totally understand.

I'm still excited for it though, because It looks like KH set in a FF world. Though at this point BD is more exciting since it's around the corner, and Persona 5, because it's probably not gonna be delayed for 8 years and get ported to PS4 and Xbone.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Speaking of Nomura and of XV, I think he's done really well with the character designs this time. I know he got some outside help by Roberto Ferrari and that fashion company, but there seems to be a lot of variety, even with everyone wearing black.
I'm not sure, but the characters seem cool without trying too hard, if you know what I mean. Like, Cor just looks like your average middle aged fella, but I much prefer his design to Auron, even though I love the guy.

I think it's because he's toned it down. For example, it feels like each character has one defining thing about their appearance rather than lots of little things that end up looking cluttered, muting each other out, or just looking overkill.
I think my only issue is Stella's new face and the red soled shoes, haha.

CorvoSol

Wish I could. But I won't. Kinda burnt out on anything FF that isn't BD or Type 0. Please understand.

I feel you there. My RPG sched looks like this: P3P, P4G New Game +, Dragon Quest 4, Bravely Default, Tales of the Abyss, and Type-0. That's enough that I don't think I'll worry about any other RPGs until AT LEAST April.

Probably the only thing I've been excited for FF related besides BD and Type-0. Then again, I've been waiting since like 2006... geez I've been waiting since I was a sophomore in high school.

It is my fervent hope that some day my son's son will be there for FFXV's release.

Speaking of X, man I can't wait for that. X and Persona 5 are the only upcoming Console RPGs I'm excited for.

Does anyone really care about Kimahri?

I like Kimahri. I tend to like the monster character.

Speaking of Nomura and of XV, I think he's done really well with the character designs this time. I know he got some outside help by Roberto Ferrari and that fashion company, but there seems to be a lot of variety, even with everyone wearing black.
I'm not sure, but the characters seem cool without trying too hard, if you know what I mean. Like, Cor just looks like your average middle aged fella, but I much prefer his design to Auron, even though I love the guy.

I think it's because he's toned it down. For example, it feels like each character has one defining thing about their appearance rather than lots of little things that end up looking cluttered, muting each other out, or just looking overkill.

I actually don't like XV's designs. Not because I think they're bad, but because it's too much black, and too much a sausage fest. The party needs some colors and some girls before I warm up to it. I was thankful for Type-0's costumes because it allowed me to vary the way my cast looked a bit.

Voror

One can't blame him really.

Same for me really, though SE as of late has left me more and more feeling I shouldn't expect all that much. Same for me actually. I've graduated high school and college in the time since the announcement of that game.

I feel that SE could generate a lot more good will about this game and perhaps themselves in general if they started being more forthcoming about how the game is coming along. Even if it wasn't that much, I think something every few months would do a lot for people.

That game may be the one that pushes me to get a Wii U, though I am someone who has Xenoblade but has not yet played it. Stuff keeps getting in the way combined with me being unsure on how to work with things like choosing character abilities and such. I get so hung up on things like that I never get around to actually playing.

But man it is sad to think how much better MonolithSoft seems to be doing things as of late with their projects.

Your words of truth cut deeper than any blade. I can totally understand.

I'm still excited for it though, because It looks like KH set in a FF world. Though at this point BD is more exciting since it's around the corner, and Persona 5, because it's probably not gonna be delayed for 8 years and get ported to PS4 and Xbone.

The whole idea of a Final Fantasy by the Kingdom Hearts team was always the reason it was the FNC project I was most looking forward to. I just sort of wonder what could have been if things had been managed more properly and the game actually released as Versus. The whole thing with Persona 5 is even more hilarious since 4 came out after Versus was initially announced.

Does anyone really care about Kimahri?

I honestly had to think for a second to remember who that was.

I sort of think a bit more color variety with the party would make me a bit warmer to them all, but overall I think the designs are fine. One of the things I tended to like about parties in FF was the variety of characters and designs you had, with all sorts of different outfits and what not.

But yeah, I'm with you on Stella's new face. She looks too young now I think.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I actually don't like XV's designs. Not because I think they're bad, but because it's too much black, and too much a sausage fest. The party needs some colors and some girls before I warm up to it. I was thankful for Type-0's costumes because it allowed me to vary the way my cast looked a bit.

Well, I think the whole "fantasy based on reality" is the main driving force behind designs. I mean, it makes sense that all of Noctis' pals have similar fashion sense, as that's quite common in reality.
I do, however, refuse to believe that they won't be any female playables. I'm not too bothered about it myself, as the stories the main priority to me after gameplay, and the story itself may not require a female on the players side, but it would be strange.

Stella's sure to play a big role though.
I'd love if in the next trailer it shows you the game from her point of view, with the red head guy and black haired lass a party partners. Seeing the direction the story is taking, I think it could really benefit by having two parties of characters to get different views on the kingdoms, but I'm not getting my hopes up :p

Wazzy

Banned
Can't wait for FFX/X-2HD, gonna rage so much when I play that stupid Chocobo thing again. The only thing that bums me out about that is the crappy FFX - Will - bullcrap, and knowing that the novel FFX 2.5 exists.

Yeah I'm stoked for both of them. I will cry a lot. Partially at the endings and the other at the mini games to get their celestial weapons.

Voror

It's funny, but I never actually finished X. I can't remember why, though I do recall I didn't care for a number of the minigames. I couldn't understand Blitz Ball at all for instance. This is funnier for me since the first thing I ever saw of the game in detail was the final part of the game at a friend's house.

I never played X-2 at all but saw the opening at a friend's house as well.

CorvoSol

Well, I think the whole "fantasy based on reality" is the main driving force behind designs. I mean, it makes sense that all of Noctis' pals have similar fashion sense, as that's quite common in reality.
I do, however, refuse to believe that they won't be any female playables. I'm not too bothered about it myself, as the stories the main priority to me after gameplay, and the story itself may not require a female on the players side, but it would be strange.

Stella's sure to play a big role though.
I'd love if in the next trailer it shows you the game from her point of view, with the red head guy and black haired lass a party partners. Seeing the direction the story is taking, I think it could really benefit by having two parties of characters to get different views on the kingdoms, but I'm not getting my hopes up :p

Yeah, but even in other Urban fantasies like Earthbound, The World Ends With You, and Persona, characters dress much more distinctly. I just wish that it wasn't all dudes dressed in all black. If the cast opens up more or there turns out to be a costume swapping feature I'm all for that.

It's hard to say, since we know almost as much about FFXV as we did when the first trailer was shown for it years and years and years ago.

I mean, George W. Bush was the US President when this game was announced, and there are times where I wonder if Barack Obama will actually finish his 2nd term before this game is out.

I like her new face, total waifu material. She looks kinda like Leanne from RoF, but more subdued, less anime, more of that Nomuranime.

Leanne-Resonance-of-Fate.jpg

stella-HD-300x168.png

It is my fervent hope that some day my son's son will be there for FFXV's release.

Speaking of X, man I can't wait for that. X and Persona 5 are the only upcoming Console RPGs I'm excited for.

Lol. Our great-great-grand-children will be playing FFXV on the PS7, Xbox 1540, and the 4DS. After Toriyama announces the FFXIII saga for mobile devices.

Super excited for P5. I still have not played Xenoblade. Is X the sequel to Xenoblade?

Same for me really, though SE as of late has left me more and more feeling I shouldn't expect all that much. Same for me actually. I've graduated high school and college in the time since the announcement of that game.

Same here buddy, time flies.

Voror

Yeah, but even in other Urban fantasies like Earthbound, The World Ends With You, and Persona, characters dress much more distinctly. I just wish that it wasn't all dudes dressed in all black. If the cast opens up more or there turns out to be a costume swapping feature I'm all for that.

It's hard to say, since we know almost as much about FFXV as we did when the first trailer was shown for it years and years and years ago.

I mean, George W. Bush was the US President when this game was announced, and there are times where I wonder if Barack Obama will actually finish his 2nd term before this game is out.

I think it could even work to a degree if they were all wearing distinct dark colors or something. Like dark greens, reds, and blues with Noctis being the one pretty much all in black. I'm not sure if there will be any feature like that, though it would be rather cool to see.

I really hope the next time they start showing media includes gameplay with some intereviews discussing in higher detail the systems of the game.

I like her new face, total waifu material. She looks kinda like Leanne from RoF, but more subdued, less anime, more of that Nomuranime.

Lol. Our great-great-grand-children will be playing FFXV on the PS7, Xbox 1540, and the 4DS. After Toriyama announces the FFXIII saga for mobile devices.

Super excited for P5. I still have not played Xenoblade. Is X the sequel to Xenoblade?

Same here buddy, time flies.

I'm not gonna lie, the RoF pic scared me for a second. I have no idea why.

And the general response to the game will be that...it's okay.

As am I. Very curious to know more about the setting and characters. Same here, though I bought it when it came out. So far as I can tell, no. It's more of a spiritual continuation if that makes any sense. Like how Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade aren't really related to one another at all.

Or is that completely different people? I was always sort of under the impression there was some connection among them like that.

CorvoSol

I don't think they've said yet if it is or not. It could be, but it doesn't matter because it will spiritually be the successor to Xenoblade.

I think it could even work to a degree if they were all wearing distinct dark colors or something. Like dark greens, reds, and blues with Noctis being the one pretty much all in black. I'm not sure if there will be any feature like that, though it would be rather cool to see.

Yeah, I just would like a little more color than all black all day.

Voror

How would you guys feel If they were all wearing a different color, Phoenix Ranger Featherman R style.

tumblr_inline_mrlud8e8bH1qd8hs9.jpg

Yeah, I think I'd be down for that. It doesn't need to be that bright necessarily, but maybe having contrast like a black jacket with a red shirt or something.

I would be down with that shit.

Especially if they gave everybody Kamen Rider kick.

9999 damage baby.

Oh, this would be amazing. Has any FF character done a Rider Kick before?

Yeah, I think I'd be down for that. It doesn't need to be that bright necessarily, but maybe having contrast like a black jacket with a red shirt or something.

Oh, this would be amazing. Has any FF character done a Rider Kick before?

Maybe Yang? He kinda looks like he is doing one in sprite form.

YangTAYBattle.PNG

wmlk

Really want Stella's old look back...just look at this!

ff13-versus-Stella-trailer.jpg

thumb.jpg

Her old face had this really powerful look to her. Really unsettling but endearing at the same time. Now she looks like a less important or dominant character, if you know what I mean.

I'm not sure if any of you guys watched any of Baz Luhrmann's movies, but Tetsuya Nomura supposedly takes inspiration from his stuff. I can totally see the similarities in the themes they both present and the whole visual flair of it all. I just hope XV isn't like Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet adaptation...

Really want Stella's old look back...just look at this!

ff13-versus-Stella-trailer.jpg

thumb.jpg

Her old face had this really powerful look to her. Really unsettling but endearing at the same time. Now she looks like a less important or dominant character, if you know what I mean.

I'm not sure if any of you guys watched any of Baz Luhrmann's movies, but Tetsuya Nomura supposedly takes inspiration from his stuff. I can totally see the similarities in the themes they both present and the whole visual flair of it all. I just hope XV isn't like Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet adaptation...
My only problem with her redesign is that her eyes look huge.

wmlk

I don't really get the complaint for LOLNOMURAFACE for XV, these characters are probably the most realistic design he's ever done.

Doesn't mean they couldn't be better considering what the premise of the game is. Case in point for me with Stella.

CorvoSol

I don't really get the complaint for LOLNOMURAFACE for XV, these characters are probably the most realistic design he's ever done.

To be honest I still don't see a discrepancy between the two Stella face designs. I think people are just so starved for information on these games they're willing to overanalyze every tiny bit we do have.

Yeah I like them a lot, probably my favorite character designs since FFVII. Though I echo the sentiment that a little more color would not hurt the main cast.

wmlk

To be honest I still don't see a discrepancy between the two Stella face designs. I think people are just so starved for information on these games they're willing to overanalyze every tiny bit we do have.

Might be, we literally have only seen one frame of the new design. I guess I was so excited at seeing more from the characters that it was a bit jarring to see a different Stella.

Personally, I've given up on waiting for XV/Versus. When it comes, it comes. I've finished Middle School, went through High School, and will probably finish College before the stupid thing comes out. NO video game is worth waiting almost 8 years so far for, probably well over 9 by the time it comes out. And it's been in some kind of production since early 2005. This game is either gonna be amazing or a train wreck, and I'm guessing train wreck seeing as how people are already apprehensive about it being an ARPG. And I've never been the biggest fan of Nojima's work, so I have even less hope in regards to the story.

Heropon

Eh, I like the black and red motif.

Then again black is one of my favorite (lack of?) colors.

kqef2V3.jpg

There aren't many options for favorite color in your case...
:p

I'm not really excited about FFXV, but that can't be bad. If it turns to be amazing I'll be pleasantly surprised and if it's the worst thing ever then I won't suffer much. I'm much more hyped about Persona 5 and that's certainly coming sooner.
Being European, I'm not so sure abour that, sadly.

Personally, I've given up on waiting for XV/Versus. When it comes, it comes. I've finished Middle School, went through High School, and will probably finish College before the stupid thing comes out. NO video game is worth waiting almost 8 years so far for, probably well over 9 by the time it comes out. And it's been in some kind of production since early 2005. This game is either gonna be amazing or a train wreck, and I'm guessing train wreck seeing as how people are already apprehensive about it being an ARPG. And I've never been the biggest fan of Nojima's work, so I have even less hope in regards to the story.

I finished high school and college and I still look forward to it. People waited for Duke Nukem Forever, 14 whole years. Hope XV doesn't take that long, though it may.

It's probably gonna be received like any other FF. Some will love it, others will hate it. You can say that about any FF release, people will either love it, or hate it.

Top Bottom