• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

I don't think I've ever actually played FFIV myself. I think I've watched it be played about 3 times.

My little brother and I played PS1 version FFIV together. I couldn't have beat it without his support and patience.

Son I know you did not just put Final Fantasy 4 in the same category as Final Fantasy XIII.

That isn't even funny, son. That's just WRONG.

Final Fantasy 4 is a fully fledged game with a cast of characters who don't make you want to shove daggers down your throat, 3 explorable world maps, villains with actual goals you can get your head around, and an ending that doesn't rely so heavily on a thirty deus ex pileup that you want to rip your brain out. There are secrets aplenty in the game, and no map is just a straight walk through. It was the first FF to even introduce the ATB, to really assign personalities to its party, and to feature a protagonist who wasn't just a blank slate nice guy.

Yeah, the plot is cheesy, and sure, the gameplay is simplistic, but it's also from an era that was very much that way. FF5 is likewise cheesy, and you'll find that other games Square made around this time had goofy plots, too. Final Fantasy Adventure's Robo Chocobo for instance, or Final Fantasy Legend's final showdown being with a man in a top hat you kill with a chainsaw. In fact, the narmy, cheesy elements of FF4's plot alone set it apart from FF13, which demonstrate how wrong a game without a sense of humor can get.

I'm not saying FF4 is the best game in the series, nor even a masterpiece, but FF 13 is nowhere near even the level of FF4 SNES, and that's without all the improvements the game's picked up over the series of infinite rereleases.

Part of me is jesting with you when I say it belongs with FFXIII on a bad FF tier, another part feels really indifferent about FFIV.

To FFIV's credit, I may not have liked its cast, but at least they are somewhat more likable than the circus act of characters in FFXIII. Yes, it introduced the ATB system, which is one of the coolest battle systems ever. Sadly the SNES and PS1 versions used invisible bars. I found that pretty frustrating. Another cool thing about FFIV is that it had 5 characters in battle, something we have not seen since. FFV's cheesiness was endearing, worked well in that game. I didn't like the cheesy aspects of FFIV much since it tries to tell a more serious story, but here is Cecil reading a "Smut" magazine. When he is done, he feeds it to a fat chocobo.

The only version of FFIV I consider better than FFXIII, not at the same level, is the DS one. Possibly the GBA version. Can't comment on PSP version. I'm of the opinion that FFIV's SNES and PS1 versions, while amazing at the time, don't hold up these days. Its subsequent incarnations are superior games thanks to Augment systems, a visible ATB bar, and other tiny improvements. Maybe If I had played DS/GBA version first, I wouldn't feel so harsh towards it.

The sprite work on The Complete Collection was pretty contentious but I think I remember liking how it looked. Better than the DS versions of 3 and 4, which were just painstakingly ugly to me. I've not played either, so I am just commenting on a surface level.

I actually purchased the PSP version hoping it would be the "definitive" version of FFIV, but after playing the PS1, DS, and GBA versions, I had no urged to even open the plastic. If I remember right, the PSP version of FFIV doesn't even have the Augment system. That was the best part of the DS version! Why would you take that out! Speaking of DS FFIII, it's right there with FFXIII, FFIV (Snes/PS1) on my hypothetical bottom tier mainline FF games. I just could not get into FFIII. Once again, my little brother had to help me through it.

Levyne

Banned
The sprite work on The Complete Collection was pretty contentious but I think I remember liking how it looked. Better than the DS versions of 3 and 4, which were just ugly to me. I've not played either, so I am just commenting on a surface level.

CorvoSol

Part of me is jesting with you when I say it belongs with FFXIII on a bad FF tier, another part really feels really indifferent about FFIV.

To FFIV's credit, I may not have liked its cast, but at least they are somewhat more likable than the circus act of characters in FFXIII. Yes, it introduced the ATB system, which is one of the coolest battle systems ever. Sadly the SNES and PS1 versions used invisible bars. I found that pretty frustrating. Another cool thing about FFIV is that it had 5 characters in battle, something we have not seen since. FFV's cheesiness was endearing, worked well in that game. I didn't like the cheesy aspects of FFIV much since it tries to tell a more serious story, but here is Cecil reading a "Smut" magazine. When he is done, he feeds it to a fat chocobo.

The only version of FFIV I consider better than FFXIII, not at the same level, is the DS one. Possibly the GBA version. Can't comment on PSP version. I'm of the opinion that FFIV's SNES and PS1 versions, while amazing at the time, don't hold up these days. Its subsequent incarnations are superior games thanks to Augment systems, a visible ATB bar, and other tiny improvements. Maybe If I had played DS/GBA version first, I wouldn't feel so harsh towards it.

Dude, all versions of FF4 are a finished, complete game. FF13 will never be that. The maps are sparse the plot is half done, the battle system is a hot mess, critical story information is relegated to an optional journal and it takes half the game before you have access to the cast's full range of options.

That FF13 can't keep up with FF4 in spite of FF4 being a dated game from a vastly inferior machine is proof enough that 4 is better than 13. The absurd way people in this community treat FF4 like it's somehow a bad game or one of the worst in the series is boggling. Especially when there are games like 1-3 and 13.

Dude, all versions of FF4 are a finished, complete game. FF13 will never be that. The maps are sparse the plot is half done, the battle system is a hot mess, critical story information is relegated to an optional journal and it takes half the game before you have access to the cast's full range of options.

That FF13 can't keep up with FF4 in spite of FF4 being a dated game from a vastly inferior machine is proof enough that 4 is better than 13. The absurd way people in this community treat FF4 like it's somehow a bad game or one of the worst in the series is boggling. Especially when there are games like 1-3 and 13.

Alright, I agree that it's a complete game in all versions, unlike FFXIII, but it just doesn't hold up by today's standards (specifically PS1/SNES). It's not a bad game, but it isn't the masterpiece people believe it to be.

CorvoSol

Alright, I agree that it's a complete game in all versions, unlike FFXIII, but it just doesn't hold up by today's standards (specifically PS1/SNES). It's not a bad game, it isn't the masterpiece people believe it to be.

That still isn't cause enough to dump it in the bin of shit that is the broken, unfinished, unpolished, rushed, Sonic 2006 that is Final Fantasy XIII.

That still isn't cause enough to dump it in the bin of shit that is the broken, unfinished, unpolished, rushed, Sonic 2006 that is Final Fantasy XIII.

Come on, FFXIII was bad, but Sonic 2006 bad? That is a bit harsh, then again I see your point. It is a bit harsh to put FFIV in the same basket as FFXIII.

kurbaan

Banned
Alright, I agree that it's a complete game in all versions, unlike FFXIII, but it just doesn't hold up by today's standards (specifically PS1/SNES). It's not a bad game, but it isn't the masterpiece people believe it to be.

Wait what? This is the FF4 with Cecil and Kain that we are talking about right? How does it not hold up?

I just played through it a couple months ago and the game is amazing. Has so much charm, good story and good characters. It should not even be in the same sentence as FF13

FFIV and FFXIII *do* share some common design elements, I feel.

They've both got kinda strong gating of your power at any point in the game; in FF4 this is done via equipment (seriously, I don't think there's another FF where equipment feels like it makes that kind of difference outside of FFT/FF12), and in FFXIII this is done with level caps.

They both frequently change up the characters in your party, forcing you to find new strategies and new balances of offense and defense.

They both are based much more on attrition and resource management than on decisive individual turns; you need to find an optimal flow of offense, buffs/debuffs, defense, and healing. In FFXIII, remove the MP-management from the equation and substitute Stagger bar management in its place.

*shrug*

I think their world design is extraordinarily different and FFIV has far more in the way of exploration/secrets and has far more charm but there's a lot they share.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think I've made my position on thinking FF4 is one of my least favourite FF games multiple times so to go through it for the nth time in this thread would be retreading old ground. lol.

Despite the common design elements between the two, I certainly do feel like FF4 comes out to be the better-designed video game, simply for the sake of having better dungeon design/better overall game design and pacing, and a better sense of camaraderie.

Come on now, Corvo. Sonic 06 bad?
Hell no. Definitely not Sonic 06 bad.

Corvo, son. I've played Sonic 06 3 times, and that isn't even the worst game I've ever played. I know what bad is.

I think I've made my position on thinking FF4 is one of my least favourite FF games multiple times so to go through it for the nth time in this thread would be retreading old ground. lol.

Despite the common design elements between the two, I certainly do feel like FF4 comes out to be the better-designed video game, simply for the sake of having better dungeon design/better overall game design and pacing, and a better sense of camaraderie.
Agreed with all of this. (And the FFIV DS update improved it a *lot*, but I still don't find it as replayable as most other FFs)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If anything, it's Final Fantasy IV: The After Years which suffers from poor dungeon design, odd balancing, retracing plots that were solved in the previous game, and an incredibly weird RNG in the Wii version (which was regrettably changed in the PSP version). Really odd game design decisions in that. If I ever feel like it, I might do a playthrough of that.

I've been playing through FF4: Interlude for you guys. :p

I think they are 13 and Sonic equally bad designed,but 06 also has countless bugs.
Yeah, no. Sonic 06 is a special kind of bad where there were countless bugs everywhere, where the game's design functioned against players incredibly often.

FF13 was at least functional and better balanced and only punished the player when they weren't using whatever tools were given to them. I think I ended up praising the game in the end for at least finally making tanks and debuffs/buffs matter in an FF game again.

Both games have awkward game design, but in the most different of ways, with Sonic 06 coming out broken, and Final Fantasy XIII coming out as being unsatisfying to some players.

The two games have issues that aren't even comparable. Saying that Sonic 06 and Final Fantasy XIII are equivalents of each other is plain hyperbole. I'd honestly equate FF13 and Sonic Adventure (leaning towards 2) simply because they created complete paradigm shifts (no pun intended) for their respective series (the former making battles flashier and exploration minimal with various other things such as AI design, streamlining, simplicity of ability acquisition, etc, and the latter increasing the amount that storytelling played on the game's design and which characters you're using).

The two fanbases are remarkably similar in that everyone wants something completely different from the series, and the games do have their fair share of focus grouping as of late, but I would never put Final Fantasy XIII in the same league as Sonic 2006. Even if I tore the game apart in 2009 after playing the Japanese version, my criticisms were about its intent and underlying game design, not about how the game functioned or played like I did with Sonic 06.

Szadek

That's not what I meant.
Even without bugs,Sonic 06 would still suck.
Stuff like say the ball puzzles and the vehicle segements aren't bugs,just terrible design.

Btw,for me 13 was far more than just "unsatisfying".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's not what I meant.
Even without bugs,Sonic 06 would still suck.
Stuff like say the ball puzzles and the vehicle segements aren't bugs,just terrible design.

Btw,for me 13 was far more than just "unsatisfying".
Haha, okay. I never had any idea that good/bad game design is simply a mere dichotomy.

Thanks for teaching me!

FF13 being compared to Sonic 06.

This might actually be the biggest case of internet hyperbole I've ever seen.
Seriously. Shaking my head all over the place.

PK Gaming

I doubt Corvo was really trying to suggest that FFXIII is remotely comparable to Sonic 06 in terms of quality; he was merely using Sonic 2006 as an adjective.

Corvo, son. I've played Sonic 06 3 times, and that isn't even the worst game I've ever played. I know what bad is.

What

XIII is just an average FF game to me. Certainly not the worst, that honor goes to Mr Empty Rooms rife with encounters FF2.

And that Lightning may appear in future FF games thread is a mess. Just reminds me why I barely bother posting outside of subscriptions.

CorvoSol

Come on now, Corvo. Sonic 06 bad?

It's used here descriptively. The comparison is only meant in the sense that FF13 is unfinished, just like Sonic 06.

To listen to you and Beef, shit like FF6 and FF4 may as well be. If one side of this argument gets to exaggerate, I sure as fuck am allowed to do the same.

FF13 being compared to Sonic 06.

This might actually be the biggest case of internet hyperbole I've ever seen.

And you accusing anyone of using hyperbole in a discussion of Final Fantasy is the biggest case of the Pot calling the Kettle black.

I doubt Corvo was really trying to suggest that FFXIII is remotely comparable to Sonic 06 in terms of quality; he was merely using Sonic 2006 as an adjective.

Exactly. The idea is the game is unfinished, and since Sonic 06 is a readily notorious example of a how a game is unfinished, the symbol is employed in this sense.

But the bottom line is that it's fucking absurd to say FF4 is bad, let alone on FF13's level. To say it is to completely ignore everything that game contributes to the series, and to view it entirely out of context. There's a world of a difference between being a product of your time and being outdated. You can be a product of your era and still be good, you cannot be good if you're outdated.

Does FF4 have to be your favorite? No. Do you need to acknowledge it as the best fucking game in the franchise and the shining, golden epitome of all that this series stands for? Hell fucking no.

But saying its a bad game is bullshit, through and through, and I'll vehemently disagree with that statement from now till Kingdom Come.

I do think FF4 is a bad game, though. I stopped playing it because it wasn't enjoyable in the slightest, just like how I'm going to delete Payday 2 off of my PS3 because it's boring and repetitive.

CorvoSol

I do think FF4 is a bad game, though. I stopped playing it because it wasn't enjoyable in the slightest, just like how I'm going to delete Payday 2 off of my PS3 because it's boring and repetitive.

I'm certain you're not intent upon saying your experience is demonstrative of fact here.

CorvoSol

Because you said "saying its a bad game is bullshit" and I disagree with that notion. I don't think that it's "Sonic 06 bad," or "malaria bad," or any other type of exaggeration. I just think it's a bad game.

Then back it up. Because as far as I'm concerned, the claim is still bullshit that cannot be supported. You can think it's bad, but that's not the same as it being bad. And just saying "It's boring" is too subjective to make for a convincing explanation at all.

Because as far as I'm concerned, the claim is still bullshit that cannot be supported.

So you're going to plug your ears and ignore the things said in the past? Well, I can see that this conversation has ended. You win, Corvo. FF4 is the bastion of good game design and I'll never speak ill of it in front of you again.

CorvoSol

So you're going to plug your ears and ignore the things said in the past? Well, I can see that this conversation has ended. You win, Corvo. FF4 is the bastion of good game design and I'll never speak ill of it in front of you again.

What? No. I'm asking you to restate them here, in your words, for clarity. Let me actually here you say what's bad about the game, and not just "It's bad because it's boring." Because it being boring is a subjective statement and you and I both know that. Let me hear from your mouth actual reasons, and not just that. I'm not plugging my ears. I'm demanding you man up and tell me what's actually wrong with these games instead of just "I think they suck because I didn't like them." because those statements mean nothing.

I don't give two fucks about winning. If I felt this was a competition, I'd have taken my ball home a long time ago. What I want are actual, concrete answers instead of the petty kicks in the nuts you give these games.

If you were Schala, who has made her points clear, do you really think I'd be pushing on this so hard? But so far you haven't said anything. If you'd like to go and find the posts where you did make this clear, I'll willingly admit I'm wrong on that here in sight of all. But as it stands you haven't said anything I can actually call a reason, so don't take this "I'm so much better than your persistently rude ass" tone with me. Cut the bullshit and give me answers.

The constant revolving door of party members, which is my biggest gripe. As soon as you get used to having a character, you get some lame excuse and someone new joins. The death of the twins is a good example. Cid is another hilarious one, too. It's one of the things I hate the most in RPGs.

A lackluster, and rather boring, story.

I don't remember much about each character's mechanics, so I can't speak on that much.

Playing FF4 didn't feel like an experience; it felt like a bothersome chore. 4 and 6 are games that I'm never going to go back to because of tediousness.

Levyne

Banned
Haven't played FFIV, so I can't comment a ton....but I agree that I much prefer being able to have full party control compared to having the game dictate who is playable when, even if the former, having everyone always available, can sometimes seem manufactured.

I remember late in FFIX has a good stretch where the party(ies) is fixed for you, just got a bit annoying. I think it's okay in smaller doses, I'm thinking about the Bevelle segment of FFX when I say that. It was an interesting twist but didn't overstay its welcome.

Unless it happens at the end of the game. Dislike when the final boss or dungeon requires you to use characters for the first time in the game that you simply found uninteresting or boring/bad to use. Ys Seven just did this to me at the final boss. Bleh.

And I realize a "revolving door of party members" isn't equivalent to fixed, separate parties for stretches, but I suppose the types of limitations encountered can be similar. It's one of the reasons I take to games like The Last Remnant or Fire Emblem games I guess.

CorvoSol

The constant revolving door of party members, which is my biggest gripe. As soon as you get used to having a character, you get some lame excuse and someone new joins. The death of the twins is a good example. Cid is another hilarious one, too. It's one of the things I hate the most in RPGs.

A lackluster, and rather boring, story.

I don't remember much about each character's mechanics, so I can't speak on that much.

Playing FF4 didn't feel like an experience; it felt like a bothersome chore. 4 and 6 are games that I'm never going to go back to because of tediousness.

Do you mean the switching of characters from a narrative standpoint or from a gameplay standpoint? Because I'd consider those two different points. The former I confess isn't that well done and is definitely one of the game's weaker points. The latter I'd say is fairly typical of the franchise. Goodness knows FF 2 and 3 are guilty of it, though I'd say the problem resolved itself when the Franchise moved to limit itself to smaller playable casts.

Do you mean the switching of characters from a narrative standpoint or from a gameplay standpoint? Because I'd consider those two different points. The former I confess isn't that well done and is definitely one of the game's weaker points. The latter I'd say is fairly typical of the franchise. Goodness knows FF 2 and 3 are guilty of it, though I'd say the problem resolved itself when the Franchise moved to limit itself to smaller playable casts.

Both. Unless the game itself has me firmly in its grasp, I tend to be very unforgiving about it.

CorvoSol

Both. Unless the game itself has me firmly in its grasp, I tend to be very unforgiving about it.

Do you mean that if a narrative is not engaging to you, you tend to view gameplay negatively because of that, or that if neither gameplay nor narrative are engaging to you you find yourself more likely to criticize or more likely to be critical of a game? And would you say that that criticism or critique of a game is negative because the game does not engage you specifically?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have no idea where you got that from.
Okay, I'll bite. What did you mean, because your prose in both of your posts suggested that you were equating the two as being horribly designed when they're actually on different tiers and styles of poor game design.

The circumstances of both games are fairly similar in that they were rushed to meet either a holiday rush, or a quarterly/fiscal report, with one coming out worse and far less polished than the other.

It's funny. Final Fantasy XIII is hilariously one of the least glitchiest Final Fantasy games I have ever played. There are glitches with respect to AI movement on the field and a glitch associated with Snow glyph on his coat staying on him outside of battle. But that's it. It's hilarious that there aren't a lot of bugs and glitches in that game despite its game design being less-than-stellar. I tore that game apart in 2009 for its design decisions which didn't jive well with me, and finally realized that during my platinum run, the game only works remarkably well when you're doing advanced monster hunts on a platinum run. That in its design is actually good. The rest of it isn't designed as succinctly, but it's a completely different way of bad game design than what happens in Sonic 2006. Final Fantasy XIII is merely an average game, much like its sequel. It isn't a bad game in the slightest. I wouldn't classify it as a kusoge.

I've played Sonic 2006 three times. I've played Final Fantasy XIII for ~200 hours with one platinum run and one playthrough in Japanese, so I'd like to think I know my shit given that I seem to have an odd reputation on this site for trying to figure out games inside and out.

There are different ways that a game can be poorly designed. It isn't a dichotomy. The way you were phrasing your posts outlined that it was a dichotomy from your perspective given that you were essentially equating the two and ended up implying that game design is merely divided into good/bad design as opposed to different tiers and different ways of implementing game design.

So what did you mean, because your prose isn't coming off as saying anything other than "they're both equally as bad in terms of game design, except one has bugs". And I want examples of video game design. Video game design doesn't only include whether or not a game has bugs. It also includes the pacing of the game, how the narrative is included, how music is used, how sound effects are implemented, how the music is programmed into the game, dungeon design, level design, character ability gain, character movesets, character animation, how character animations flow together in gameplay, how cutscenes are implemented, graphical design, art style, user interface design, content design, quest design, and a whole lot of other factors.

So tell me how Final Fantasy XIII's overall game design is as bad as Sonic 2006's. I'd really like to know.

What
Oh no, there are some people in/out of this thread who genuinely believe that is the case.

And yeah, there are far worse games than Sonic 06. Even in this very genre. Sonic 06 at least has entertainment value despite being a terrible game. An example I love to use is Hoshi wo Miru Hito having its first town invisible and you sometimes warping back to the starting part of the map when you finish some of the dungeons. Oh, and there's no way to cancel attacks when you have 0 MP, so sometimes when you select ESP on the attack screen, you auto-confirm your attacks so you just end up dying in the end.

Beyond the Beyond suffers from horrific dungeon design, bad encounter rate, poor progressive style (ie: the pacing of the narrative runs at a snail's pace at times), the puzzle design is really mediocre and it's something that Camelot improved upon in Golden Sun. Sakuraba music is okay.

I've played the Zelda CDi games. All three of them. They were some of the worst things imaginable. Awful hitboxes, maps, movement and control (and the controller was awful, too), and the cutscenes speak for themselves.

I've played a ton. Tecmo Secret of the Stars, Astonishia Story, Bubsy, Aidyn Chronicles, Quest 64, Tail of the Sun, Ephemeral Phantasia, Virtual Hydlide, Dino City, Sonic Labyrinth, MakaMaka (where they released the beta version of the game), etc. There are a lot of bad games I've played in many genres. I don't think Sonic 06 is the worst one I've played, though. It's a bad game, but it'd take me a while to say what is the worst game I've played.

I recently played Dragon Book Fantasy II, and it was pretty bad. Over/under Sonic 06, but I just wasn't having fun with it:

But as of now, I'm very disappointed with it. I've had a lot of crashes, despite the game being patched twice. When battles begin, they don't begin properly. Characters aren't positioned right (heals are AoE spells, which isn't a problem, though), which means sometimes the lead character gets trapped and can't move, or characters are unnecessarily clumped together. Enemies aren't positioned right because sometimes they move after you select your first command (and these enemies are static and unmoving when battles begin, unlike CT), or sometimes new enemies that are still moving around on the field enter your battle that is currently taking place and sometimes you can't even see them when you're attacking them. It makes little sense. I posted a screenshot where enemies apparently have 0 HP since they aren't in the FOV, yet I can still attack them and XP will be accrued.

Balancing is kind of all over the place, but for the most part, it's much easier than the original game because Focus is broken, and SMAAAAAASH is broken (because it works in terms of your party's average level, so you can have overleveled characters, but smash enemies, or 2 party members with one member bringing the level count down significantly). So most of the time, you'll be smashing enemies when your true intent is to capture enemies to make them part of your party. Smash should honestly be something that's toggled. I also feel like enemy placement on the field maps are kind of silly. There are some areas where it makes sense and I'm amused at some bits (ex: enemies would be having a picnic or singing tunes somewhere), but then there are areas where you wonder why there are so enemies there. It's quite a contrast from Chrono Trigger for reasons I'll go into in a future writeup.

I also feel like battles describing every action per turn takes far too much time. I'm just holding the X button to get through the text because it wastes so much time. The Coliseum matches where the camera pans up to the crowd post-match and plunking your party upstairs instead of asking if you'd like to continue, or keeping your party where the match official is wastes a lot of time, too.

The framerate is terrible in areas with environmental effects and you get clipping every so often on the fields. You have scrolling issues on the world map and field with artefacts popping in and out.

I saw a treasure chest in one area, with the developer saying that they didn't have time to program the way to get the treasure chest, which is absurd.

It is one of the sloppiest put-together games I've seen in a long time. If a lot of things were fixed, it wouldn't be that bad, but since there are so many technical problems including crashes populating it, it's just so hard recommend it to people who aren't diehards of the genre. This game either should've stayed in the oven longer, or should have been beta-tested if it wasn't beta-tested.

PK Gaming

Oh I was just wondering why you played through the game 3 times

Though from what i've gather, I assume you just like playing through games in general.

Seda

Hey guys, I'm about to start XIII-2.

Is any of the DLC worth it?

Well actually, I found quite a bit of enjoyment from some of the DLC coliseum matches. Some actually required planning, strategy, timing, and skill to beat. Unlike the main game which is mostly non-challenging. The Gilgamesh fight is pretty fun, for example.

Dizzy-4U

I see, so the coliseum stuff is good. What are those Snow/Lightning DLCs? Replaceable skins for Noel and Serah?

Edit: Oh shit! Ultros is in? So bought.

Noi

I see, so the coliseum stuff is good. What are those Snow/Lightning DLCs? Replaceable skins for Noel and Serah?

Edit: Oh shit! Ultros is in? So bought.

Those are also DLC battles. Like it's been said, those things are the only remotely challenging content in the game. I kept myself entertained and in check over the course of the game by seeing how far I could get in the Omega battle before I'd get destroyed.

CorvoSol

Hey guys, I'm about to start XIII-2.

Is any of the DLC worth it?

Honestly I feel the DLC is the best part of XIII-2. I had more fun fighting Lightning and Amodar than I did with basically the rest of the game.

From this page, I see you need to play good games so you don't get so stressed.

I'm not stressed though? And I've been playing a lot of good games lately. Bravely Default, Pokemon X, and Persona 4 Golden.

Tizoc

Sonic 2006 is an rushed buggy mess.

FF13 was a complete incomplete game. Barely any heavy loading, fantastic graphics, and the gameplay is fine despite the combat's flaws here and there.
Good points from Schala too.

Wait what? This is the FF4 with Cecil and Kain that we are talking about right? How does it not hold up?

I just played through it a couple months ago and the game is amazing. Has so much charm, good story and good characters. It should not even be in the same sentence as FF13

I'm talking about the PS1 and SNES versions, I don't think they hold up. The DS and GBA versions are superior. Things like the Augment System and a visible ATB just made those games more playable in my opinion. Tiny additions I know, but they meant a lot to me.

Dizzy-4U

5 hours into XIII-2. You know, at first glance I thought Noel was going to be another animu/fancy words/kingdom hearts crap type of character, but actually he's pretty great.

Down to earth, straight to the point, likable. Probably the best character in this series so far.

I jinx it, didn't I? He's going full emo-Cloud in the end, isn't he? DON'T TELL ME, I DON'T WANNA KNOW.

CorvoSol

5 hours into XIII-2. You know, at first glance I thought Noel was going to be another animu/fancy words/kingdom hearts crap type of character, but actually he's pretty great.

Down to earth, straight to the point, likable. Probably the best character in this series so far.

I jinx it, didn't I? He's going full emo-Cloud in the end, isn't he? DON'T TELL ME, I DON'T WANNA KNOW.

Nah, the consensus is that Noel is actually a fairly decent character.
There being only 2 moments in the whole game where I'd say he isn't, and the one being justified and the other being in the middle of a Toriyamaelstrom.

I actually sort of think Serah is pretty okay, too, as long as you play her as a moron. But at this point I think that could just be me giving in to my love of Laura Bailey.

But take me with a grain of salt, because I also think the following:

-Cecil Harvey is a pretty good protagonist.
-Lightning was a-okay in FFXIII.
-Squall was right to be a jerkwad early on in FF8 because he had to put up with people like Irvine and Seifer.
-Squall is actually a pretty good protagonist.
-Cloud isn't emo (until after FF7).
-Vaan isn't that bad (after FFXII).

I'm actually pretty hard pressed to think of a protagonist in a Final Fantasy game I didn't like. Maybe Lightning Returns'll change that, but for now I'm fairly okay with all of them.

None of those opinions are that rare. Even I can admit Lightning wasn't that bad in XIII. Serah is decent in XIII-2 but she doesn't hold a candle to Noel.

Top Bottom