• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Levyne

Banned
I played Jak II at an age where I just kind of gobbled everything up. I had gotten a demo disk in the mail and it included Jak and Daxter. So because I had played the demo, I had to play the full game. And, subsequently, had to play the sequels.

In a way I guess I am still like that somewhat, Lightning Returns is actually in a similar spot, haha. Though I am more aware of this tendency and can actually think about it a bit. And while I don't even remember whether I liked or disliked Jak/II/III, I haven't actively returned to it, while other games in the same era that I've been more fond of, I have. On topic, two of those games are FFX and FFXII :D (so with XII inclusion I guess I am talking about 2000-2006)

I played the PS1 FF games around the same time (pre-2000 I was Nintendo/PC mostly) and didn't fall in love with them. I probably liked IX>VIII>VII. VII I didn't even complete bonus content like the weapons and I always do that. Just didn't take to it at all.

AniHawk

I never saw what was wrong with Jak 2.
So what if it's similar to gta? How many gta-platformers are there?
So what if it has guns? It just gives jak a wider moveset, would you have liked it better if red shotgun blasts came out of jaks hands instead?

Maybe the original intention to make it more "mature" is questionable, but the end result is a fun and challenging game. I love the Jak series.

it's lazy, but i can't muster up the ability to talk about this game anew for the umpteenth time, so i will repost what i typed here.

and above all else, it's a particularly shitty final fantasy.

rataven

Final Fantasy VIII was the reason why I started putting highlights in my hair, lol. I just had to have the same colour Rinoa had because I thought it was cute.

Heh, I got a little fashion inspiration from FF too! I remember trying to wear my ponytails like Tifa's for a good while back in 97. Turns out that look doesn't function well on real world hair, so I then opted to tie my hair back with pink ribbons, Aerith-style.

I always loved Garnet's bob cut too. If I looked good with short hair, I'd totally have taken her picture to my stylist.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I never saw what was wrong with Jak 2.
So what if it's similar to gta? How many gta-platformers are there?
So what if it has guns? It just gives jak a wider moveset, would you have liked it better if red shotgun blasts came out of jaks hands instead?

Maybe the original intention to make it more "mature" is questionable, but the end result is a fun and challenging game. I love the Jak series.
GTA implementation in games back then were a product of GTA3 console success, but that doesn't necessarily mean that these games were adequately designed. Either way, weren't you actively punished for doing anything with respect to causing chaos? What, then, would be the point of implementing that style of gameplay? To say you did? You're not actively using a portion of the subgenre so the game design intent is somewhat wasteful. Especially since your police force is a joke.

Grand Theft Auto III is a remarkably revolutionary product of its time. Everyone wanted to do something with it. Everyone. Despite the fact that a lot of these elements were in its contemporary games like Crazy Taxi, Metroid, TLoZ, Shenmue, OutRun, and even ARPGs that allowed you to kill off NPCs. While GTAIII didn't pioneer a lot of its concepts, it integrated its concepts in a seamless way which inevitably created games that tried to mimic its open-endedness, and created a subgenre.

Let's link this to how much I dislike kitchen-sink style of game design. Lightning Returns clearly has it from what I've played of the Japanese version, and it was a major issue that I knocked Final Fantasy XIII-2 for. When you're doing this sort of game design, it basically means to me that a) you've probably focus tested it, b) you're trying to say, "I can do this too! Really! It's what people like, right?", or c) you don't remember what your genre is trying to do at its base level. That's fairly weird because Naughty Dog was actually good at it before! What happened here? It's just like how sometimes I'm just surprised with the lengths Square Enix has gone to implement this sort of design in their games when they don't even need it. They have the staff there who know how to make an RPG work, but they just... don't do it in favour of trying to appeal to certain audiences in an almost desperate attempt to save face and expand appeal. The result is a mess that doesn't seem cohesive at all. There are people who certainly love that stuff, and good that they like it a lot, but I guess I'm in the minority of people who just don't appreciate that sort of design at all.

I can't stand kitchen-sink design in any genre. I think it's the dumbest thing.

Jak II's racing segments, irritating backtracking, odd city design that seems restrictive, weird weird difficulty curve and poorer pacing as a result, all that screen tearing, that one part where there's endless enemy waves on that one bridge, odd mission design, were just oddly implemented and they were poorly-polished. They weren't very enjoyable to go through. It's somewhat disappointing because whatever platforming the game did have was kind of decent, but it feels like the rest of the game, because it's in this completely different genre with odd difficulty curves in places, was at war with it and ends up making this disjointed mess. To make more of a draw of comparison with this thread, it's exactly how I felt about FF13-2 and Lightning Returns's design concepts. I just don't know what you're doing, and you probably don't either and just want to focus on one aspect of the game's design because that's the new/old hot thing that would captivate people despite the whole thing being completely inconsistent. And inconsistency bothers me a lot in video games.

Generally, I'll praise a game for being coherent. If it's inconsistent the whole way through, that's the thing I'll concentrate on and it ends up making the whole thing completely lacking in enjoyment for me.

A better GTA-like platformer is Lego City Undercover. It's unreal how actually decent that game is without being far up its own ass. The writing in Jak II is bad. I dunno. I never liked overembellishing narrative in a platformer. I always thought the genre never lent itself well to that and it wastes so much of the player's time. I dislike it in Sonic (with Unleashed being the weirdest exception to the rule), later Mega Man X games let it dictate its entire game design which led to its poor design decisions, and I dislike it in Jak.

As for the guns + Jak thing, it's very reminiscent of some of the arguments I saw from people talking about Shadow the Hedgehog having guns. I don't think the execution works as well, that's it. Ratchet and Clank does weapons far better, and it ends up making Jak II's employment of it more derivative than it originally was. They added a bunch of things to the genre because they wanted to make a platformer for big kids while simultaneously dismissing its contemporaries for not getting "marketing the genre to adults and insecure teenagers" correct. Narrative ended up significantly changing up the gameplay and direction of the game design that it just contradicted everything there was in the first game, and flies in the face of what the genre represented (especially given what the postmortem had said and what multiple interviews had stated in terms of contempt for the genre in general).

Square Enix's story with the XIII games is a little different because FF13 ends up looking like the most solid of the three games to me despite me tearing it apart in 2009. I always said that if the game's battles are harder, the battle system would shine well and it's true. The best fights in FF13 are its harder monster hunts, and they're incredibly fun to fool around with in terms of what setups you want to use. FF13 knew what it wanted to do and actually... kinda did it.

FF13-2 tried to streamline battles to make them easier (and more flexible--and flexibility was a good thing), but at the same time, they took a lot of reviewer criticism to heart and threw everything they could in there. Yeah, the game has more side content than its predecessor, but it doesn't blend well very much, and a lot of mechanics just feel like they were thrown in just because. They don't feel like they have any links to the main game at all in terms of whatever gameplay it threw to the player. It's inconsistent and flows together fairly poorly.

Lightning Returns renders battles kind of meaningless outside of getting money, equippable skills and drops for quests, but you don't get a real sense of progression of getting stronger. It's a shame because the customization aspect of the game is neat, and battles are where you use customization. But it also suffers from "quests for the sake of quests" design, and feels like a lot of things were thrown in there without rhyme or reason. It's lacking that cohesiveness that you'd generally expect.

I just dislike things being incorporated into a game just for the sake of one particular idea or design direction without any motivation for incorporating it seamless at all. That is poor game design. Jak II has it. FF13-2 has it. Dirge of Cerberus has it. It sucks, because each of these games have some positives, but those positives are just buried under a mountain of bad-tasting goop.

Oh, don't get me started on Dirge of Cerberus. That's Identity Crisis: The Game.

Heh, I got a little fashion inspiration from FF too! I remember trying to wear my ponytails like Tifa's for a good while back in 97. Turns out that look doesn't function well on real world hair, so I then opted to tie my hair back with pink ribbons, Aerith-style.

I always loved Garnet's bob cut too. If I looked good with short hair, I'd totally have taken her picture to my stylist.
I think I unintentionally had Garnet's bob cut in the tenth grade. But nah, short hair isn't for me. FF needs more short-medium/medium-length hairstyles.

I actually like Lightning's hairstyle. I thought it was very nice, but my hair isn't that long, either.

rataven

I think I unintentionally had Garnet's bob cut in the tenth grade. But nah, short hair isn't for me. FF needs more short-medium/medium-length hairstyles.

I actually like Lightning's hairstyle. I thought it was very nice, but my hair isn't that long, either.

Lightning does have a great hairstyle, gotta give her that. I've always liked the color too. It's a shame pink hair isn't more manageable, because her shade would look really nice with certain skin tones.

final fantasy vii convinced me to dress in a robotic cat suit. of course by then it was 2006 and it was out of style.

Pfffft, style schmyle. It's never too late. What goes around comes around. Although I guess we can all be thankful that Final Fantasy VIII did not cause a huge uptick in face tattoos.

Noi

I think the "what could they do behind give him a gun?" argument for Jak 2 is a really poor one. There's plenty of good examples out there (even by Naugthy Dog themselves!) of a character's moveset being expanded without having to resort to the creatively bankrupt "give him a gun that does everything".

Beef hates a lot of things, though.

That's his nature. The running joke is that I'm the one who hates everything, but it's really Beef who's more ruthless than I am.

With that said, I just dislike a lot that went into Jak II's reasoning for existing, and I just don't care about cutscene-driven platformers much at all. I think I don't like it in a lot of genres (and oddly enough, I've started to feel that way about FF lately, too; I don't care much about cutscenes at all).

------------

While that FF8 thread is up on gaming side, I'll admit something here.

Final Fantasy VIII was the reason why I started putting highlights in my hair, lol. I just had to have the same colour Rinoa had because I thought it was cute.

Alright, I'll take the things Beef post less seriously now. At least you elaborate your thoughts and feelings on games in a detailed manner, thank you for that. I've never been a fan of people not liking things without reason, just seems like hating. Sadly, some people just hate things for no reason apparently.

I'm not too fond of cutscenes either. I miss reading text a la FFV through FFIX. Probably because I could read faster than listening to characters babble on and on. The only cutscenes I've enjoyed on the PS3/360 era of consoles are, bringing things full circle, the Uncharted and The Last of Us Naughty Dog games because of how they seemlessly flow from cutscene to gameplay. Ironically I would skip them in Jak II/Jak III just because I wanted to get back to playing the game as quickly as possible.

While on the topic of video games dictating our own real life fashions. Squall is the reason I have messy longish hair and a penchant for black clothing jackets. Though I don't wear a heavy black jacket with a (synthetic) fur collar everyday or during hot weather, anymore at least.

I played the PS1 FF games around the same time (pre-2000 I was Nintendo/PC mostly) and didn't fall in love with them. I probably liked IX>VIII>VII. VII I didn't even complete bonus content like the weapons and I always do that. Just didn't take to it at all.

I like to think IX is the most well rounded of the IX PS1 era FF. Definitely had the most lovable cast, a grand story, and the game was not as breakable, if breakable at all, as FFVIII and FFVII.

FFVII was my favorite because I was that guy "Yo my first JRPG was FFVII." I grew up playing Nintendo games as well, though I never picked up FFIII(VI). Also I just enjoyed the more anime-ish cyber punk style of FFVII. It's funny you mention the WEAPONS of FF7, I just beat them both again yesterday. The task seemed so difficult as a 10 year old. Now it's pathetically easy with preparation, but I guess that's most JRPGs, the battle is decided before the fight actually starts. For me, one of the draws of any JRPG is how much I want to explore the world. FFVII was such a compelling world to explore.

FFVIII just had some down right beautiful backgrounds. More reason to explore, for me at least. Absolutely gorgeous, though my knock against it will forever be the 4th disk. I feel like you could have done so much more with it. At least Ultemecia's castle was one of the best design FF dungeons I can think of off the top of my head. Omega is the only super boss I have not defeat of the PS1 FFs, just because I hate having to ring the bell just to make him show. Silly complaint I know.

As for IX, it's so close to being the best-game-ever-period. But I will have to agree with the sentiments of many, the combat was pretty slow. Even cranking up the battle speed in the options did not help that much. It looked great, but it was not as smooth as the previous FF entries. Probably the only knock against it other than superficial stuff. Zidane was great, I was never a fan of his design though. I thought he was a women the first time I saw the cover. Cool, a female lead, i remember thinking to myself. Luckily Garnet fills that spot. My favorite thief design *ahem* Treasure Hunter design goes to Locke, he embodies what FF thieves should look like in my opinion. Must be the bandana.

Levyne

Banned
Makoto, you are one my favorite new posters around here.

FFX was my first (I had somehow just avoided the series until then.) And while I like it a lot, I think the whole Ivalice world/lore/localization are tops for me.

Something along the lines of XII>FFT>VI>X>the rest in some indeterminate order.

I kind of watched my brother play through Vagrant Story and FFV so I sorta vicariously experienced those, and the first seems like it has aged poorly, the later pretty damn fun. Maybe someday.

I try to make my serious posts actually seem serious, so don't worry about reading too much into most of the things I post around GAF, lol.
Beef, tell you what. Instead of streaming FF7 like Bean suggested I do when I get my exams out of the way because we need to get up the Shinra Tower someday, I'll stream Lightning Returns.

You can find a way to stream Majora's Mask for more than 1fps in the meantime. :p
I have a new laptop, so it can be done. =P

The main problem has come from my list of heart pieces that I kept in a notepad file being inaccurate. I stopped playing after my Owl Save got corrupted and I lost hours of progress. Now that I'm finally getting the itch to play MM again, I wanted to try to continue from that file, but apparently I'm missing one heart piece from my list. And I can't remember which one it is, so I won't be able to get a full life set.

Now I'm at that phase where I have to choose to keep playing, but know I'll never get them all, or start over to appease my small amount of OCD on the matter. But at least it won't be 5 FPS this time! \o/
For some reason I feel like Prof. Beef hates everything I enjoy. First FFVI and now Jak II.
You should make a list so we can cross-reference. >:D

Makoto, you are one my favorite new posters around here.

FFX was my first (I had somehow just avoided the series until then.) And while I like it a lot, I think the whole Ivalice world/lore/localization are tops for me.

Something along the lines of XII>FFT>VI>X>the rest in some indeterminate order.

I kind of watched my brother play through Vagrant Story and FFV so I sorta vicariously experienced those, and the first seems like it has aged poorly, the later pretty damn fun. Maybe someday.

Thank you!

Ivalice is definitely one of my favorite video game worlds to explore. I've enjoyed the various incarnations and time periods be it FFXII, FFT, FFTA etc. FFXII was just so fully realized, felt like a living breathing world. FFT might be my favorite Ivalice since it was rife with political intrigue and shady religious back ground-scheming. Also, Delita is such a manipulative bastard. Man, I wish Olivia finished him with that dagger.

I've never played Vagrant Story either, of the back catalogue of Square games I'm looking into. Parasite Eve looks the most interesting at the moment. I got a copy from eBay not too long ago. Sadly I played The 3rd Birthday first...

I try to make my serious posts actually seem serious, so don't worry about reading too much into most of the things I post around GAF, lol.

I have a new laptop, so it can be done. =P

The main problem has come from my list of heart pieces that I kept in a notepad file being inaccurate. I stopped playing after my Owl Save got corrupted and I lost hours of progress. Now that I'm finally getting the itch to play MM again, I wanted to try to continue from that file, but apparently I'm missing one heart piece from my list. And I can't remember which one it is, so I won't be able to get a full life set.

Now I'm at that phase where I have to choose to keep playing, but know I'll never get them all, or start over to appease my small amount of OCD on the matter. But at least it won't be 5 FPS this time! \o/

You should make a list so we can cross-reference. >:D

Alright I'll make a list sooner or later, that should be fun :D

As for MM, forget heart pieces, just go for all the masks so you can wreck Majora later, getting all the heart pieces was a head ache at times.

Alright I'll make a list sooner or later, that should be fun :D

As for MM, forget heart pieces, just go for all the masks so you can wreck Majora later, getting all the heart pieces was a head ache at times.

This is already the...I think 20th time I've played MM, so I'm no stranger to getting all the masks. It's just that I've only ever gotten all the heart pieces once or twice.

This is already the...I think 20th time I've played MM, so I'm no stranger to getting all the masks. It's just that I've only ever gotten all the heart pieces once or twice.

That's once or twice more than I ever have. So congrats on that. Also you've probably beaten that game about umm... 20 times more than I have lol. Probably one of my favorite Zeldas though.

Wazzy

Banned
VIII's anniversary has really made me nostalgic. So many great memories of when I first played it and to this day it's been such a huge part of my life. I still play it regularly and stan the hell out of it here.

aravuus

Decided to pre-order LR in my slightly drunken, annoyed-at-all-this-uni-stuff state. Hopefully I won't be too disappointed.

e: #partoftheproblem

Wazzy

Banned
Decided to pre-order LR in my slightly drunken, annoyed-at-all-this-uni-stuff state. Hopefully I won't be too disappointed.

e: #partoftheproblem

What's the name of the game your avatar is from? I remembered I really wanted to play it when it got localized since it's apparently like 999 and Phoenix Wright combined.

Majora's Mask it feels like you're supposed to get the heart pieces!

I nab ALL of them every time!

I can see that, I just had troubling finding them all. Which is kinda funny since MM was pretty hard at times, so grabbing extra heart pieces would have helped. Those boss fights were intense, I should have looked for those extra pieces in retrospect.

VIII's anniversary has really made me nostalgic. So many great memories of when I first played it and to this day it's been such a huge part of my life. I still play it regularly and stan the hell out of it here.

FFVIII is probably the FF where I feel the most warm and tingly nostalgia around. The fans who love it, love it sooooo much, that positivity remind me how much I love it myself. Sure, there are detractors, but the large dedicated FFVIII community is so much stronger than the few people who can't experience any joy in their hearts.

CorvoSol

Guys why aren't any of you talking about how Type-0's gone into beta testing guys? That's pretty cool, innit?

Also I got Bravely Default today. Amazon shipped my CE without packing peanuts, but I have the game, crumpled box or not.

rataven

Both Bravely Default and Lightning Returns arrived today. I opted to tackle LR first, and honestly, I'm having a good time with it. It's……weird, but I've come to accept that about the XIII saga, so I'm aiming to not take any of it seriously and just have as much fun as I can with it. The Cloud and Aerith costumes got me good too. Hearing the VII victory theme hit on all sorts of feels.

Guys why aren't any of you talking about how Type-0's gone into beta testing guys? That's pretty cool, innit?

Also I got Bravely Default today. Amazon shipped my CE without packing peanuts, but I have the game, crumpled box or not.

Welcome back! I too received Bravely Default from Amazon. Though all this FFVIII talk has me jonesing to play that again.

Welcome back. I have not gotten BD since the demo turned me off and I have other games to play...=P

Nerokis

Welcome back! I too received Bravely Default from Amazon. Though all this FFVIII talk has me jonesing to play that again.

Same here. Can't even remember the last time I jumped into it, although I have this vague sense it hasn't been that long. I'm considering playing the PC port, but I've heard surprisingly little about it. Does it improve on the game, detract from it? Did they do a good job adapting it to modern devices, or does it not hold up as well as it would on a CRT? I love the idea of having VIII on my laptop (having VIII with me on my travels sounds amazing), but I'd rather go through the best version for my next playthrough.

Same here. Can't even remember the last time I jumped into it, although I have this vague sense it hasn't been that long. I'm considering playing the PC port, but I've heard surprisingly little about it. Does it improve on the game, detract from it? Did they do a good job adapting it to modern devices, or does it not hold up as well as it would on a CRT? I love the idea of having VIII on my laptop (having VIII with me on my travels sounds amazing), but I'd rather go through the best version for my next playthrough.

All I know about the Steam PC port is that has Chocobo World, which you needed a PocketStation in order to access on the PS1 version. The original PC release also had Chocobo World. I have no idea how the PC version looks since I've only played the PS1 version.

Character models look excellent, really interesting to see new details in everything including animations. Also little touches like actually being able to see the Odine Bangle and things like that make the new high-res welcome. Battles look pretty good all round.

Of course, then there are the field backgrounds which remain untouched and look a bit ridiculous. (Also it turns out some of the NPC's are actually just drawn into the background, rather than actual animated models - as demonstrated in my screen below.)

Also you have to do a quick and easy mod if you want to decent PSX music.

I have really enjoyed it on the whole though :)

tumblr_mz8hjsHZ631qfcp5jo1_1280.png

Nerokis

All I know about the Steam PC port is that has Chocobo World, which you needed a PocketStation in order to access on the PS1 version. The original PC release also had Chocobo World. I have no idea how the PC version looks since I've only played the PS1 version.

Ahh, right! Thanks. I had forgotten about Chocobo World, which is indeed a neat bonus.

Character models look excellent, really interesting to see new details in everything including animations. Also little touches like actually being able to see the Odine Bangle and things like that make the new high-res welcome. Battles look pretty good all round.

Of course, then there are the field backgrounds which remain untouched and look a bit ridiculous. (Also it turns out some of the NPC's are actually just drawn into the background, rather than actual animated models - as demonstrated in my screen below.)

Also you have to do a quick and easy mod if you want to decent PSX music.

I have really enjoyed it on the whole though :)

Awesome, thanks! So the inconsistency in NPC detail comes from some NPCs being a part of the background? That's actually pretty interesting. I'm glad you pointed that out, because knowing the reason will definitely make the inconsistency a little less jarring.

PC version is very tempting. Hmm.

Awesome, thanks! So the inconsistency in NPC detail comes from some NPCs being a part of the background? That's actually pretty interesting. I'm glad you pointed that out, because knowing the reason will definitely make the inconsistency a little less jarring.

PC version is very tempting. Hmm.

Yeah precisely! It's funny, I never realised on the earlier versions. When you first boot it up and it goes to the classroom scene with Quistis - it's hilarious because of that NPC inconsistency.

I wish somebody could do something about it actually. It'd be amazing if we could up-res the backgrounds, but it's clearly nobody's priority.

CorvoSol

Played some Bravely Default last night, and while the voice acting is REALLY subpar for a Square game, to the point where I'm seriously considering switching it to Japanese to see if its any better, everything else is golden. Love love love Character designs, the music, combat and most of all the environments. Game looks positively gorgeous.

Wazzy

Banned
FFVIII is probably the FF where I feel the most warm and tingly nostalgia around. The fans who love it, love it sooooo much, that positivity remind me how much I love it myself. Sure, there are detractors, but the large dedicated FFVIII community is so much stronger than the few people who can't experience any joy in their hearts.
Same. VIII has so much going for it that sometimes I'm shocked it can be hated so viciously by certain people.

Like, I don't expect everyone to love it but how can a game like it cause people to make hyperbolic statements like "it killed my love for square"?

At least XIII I can understand because it's been a mess of a series.

I need the FF8 soundtrack badly. Liberali Fatali keeps playing in my head.
I've got the whole CD. Soooooo good. You should order the soundtrack or if you really want LF it's on Itunes.

Welcome back!

I'm buying my copy next week. I hope it's as good as everyone says.

Also you missed the day but VIII's anniversary was yesterday.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767057

Here's the thread if you still want to post. It obviously will still be going for the week.

PK Gaming

Everyone's either playing DanganRonpa or Bravely Default. Busy February!

CorvoSol

Everyone's either playing DanganRonpa or Bravely Default. Busy February!

I'm playing BD, P4G, P3P, Pokemon X, Tales of the Abyss, Dragon Quest 4 and The World Ends With You right now. Obviously some of those get more time than others. What's this Dangan Ronpa thing?

Welcome back, Corvo.

Thanks!

Same. VIII has so much going for it that sometimes I'm shocked it can be hated so viciously by certain people.

Like, I don't expect everyone to love it but how can a game like it cause people to make hyperbolic statements like "it killed my love for square"?

At least XIII I can understand because it's been a mess of a series.

I've got the whole CD. Soooooo good. You should order the soundtrack or if you really want LF it's on Itunes.

Welcome back!

I'm buying my copy next week. I hope it's as good as everyone says.

Also you missed the day but VIII's anniversary was yesterday.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767057

Here's the thread if you still want to post. It obviously will still be going for the week.

I'll have to pop over there to check it out.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm playing BD, P4G, P3P, Pokemon X, Tales of the Abyss, Dragon Quest 4 and The World Ends With You right now. Obviously some of those get more time than others. What's this Dangan Ronpa thing?

I'll have to pop over there to check it out.

Cool.

Looking at your list of games is making me feel weird. I used to be able to play that amount in a few weeks but now I have no interest other than BD. I think I'm burnt out on gaming at the moment.

Hey look Corvo is back! Hi Corvo!!!

For some strange reason, I imagined Noctis, excitedly pointing and waving at a raven perched on a tree branching saying "Hey look Corvo is back! Hi Corvo!!!"

Noctis strikes me as the kind of character who would like ravens, crows, and black chocobos. Probably because of all the black clothes.

Levyne

Banned
For some strange reason, I imagined Noctis, excitedly pointing and waving at a raven perched on a tree branching saying "Hey look Corvo is back! Hi Corvo!!!"

Noctis strikes me as the kind of character who would like ravens, crows, and black chocobos. Probably because of all the black clothes.

So this thread is the tree branch?

Is the tree NeoGAF?

CorvoSol

Cool.

Looking at your list of games is making me feel weird. I used to be able to play that amount in a few weeks but now I have no interest other than BD. I think I'm burnt out on gaming at the moment.

Well, I have a weird class schedule so I have time to kill some days of the week. But really my play schedule looks like this on days not called Saturday: "Bravely Default, P4G."

If there were ANYTHING at all to do here, I would probably reduce that time even more.

Hey look Corvo is back! Hi Corvo!!!

Hiiiiiiii

So this thread is the tree branch?

Is the tree NeoGAF?

TreeoGAF

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I have a weird class schedule so I have time to kill some days of the week. But really my play schedule looks like this on days not called Saturday: "Bravely Default, P4G."

If there were ANYTHING at all to do here, I would probably reduce that time even more.
I know you're going to be playing P4G the whole time anyway since that's all we basically talk about, haha.

I get next week off because it's Reading Week. Which means I won't be doing reading because I never do reading during Reading Week unless lecturers are butts and schedule exams for right after. So I guess that's LR/DQ7/Dangan Ronpa week for me. I beat the JP version of BD:FtS already. I also had plans with someone to play Ocarina of Time's Master Quest with him since I've only done it once, and he's never done it before.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd neglected to mention that while I played quite a bit of LR in Japanese without all of the pre-order costumes or DLC outfits, I'm actually using them now in the beginning of the US edition and it makes a hell of a difference. Things that should be hard aren't (like, there's one enemy that I ended up having to do much later in the game with better equips in the JP version, and I could do it now because lol, the game can be unbalanced with these things), and that's just because some outfits have certain attacks and passives that are pretty strong at the beginning. If it's like any other game, the scaling gets different in the end and the outfits outlive their usefulness. Then again, it isn't even hard to perfect guard or dodge, so 90% of the time, I'm coming out unscathed since a lot of things animate slowly--they give you tons of time to react, so if you had no problem doing it in FF13 or FF13-2 when switching to Defender, you have no problem doing it here).

But for the most part, Cloud, Sigfried, and the pink samurai outfit thing have stats/passives that are completely overpowered at this point.

What is Dangan Ronpa about?
It's a pretty cool game. Basically a murder-mystery VN, where you and other students get imprisoned in the school and the only way out is to murder someone and not get identified as the culprit in the class trial.

It's a combo of Ace Attorney (so investigate, find contradictions, survive the trial), 999 (examine areas, it plays through text), and some other VNs. Localization seems to have a lot of references too so far, which I'm pleased with. The Vita version of the first game should feature School Life mode which unlocks when you beat the game and you basically get to know characters and "S.Link" them.

I'd also say to not watch the anime before playing the game because the anime spoils everything.

----

@CorvoSol: I almost want to semi-revive that 25th anniversary playthrough thread because I really want to do that Interlude playthrough, but I wonder if it's best to do it in here. :/

Playthrough thread might be ideal, tho. I dunno.

CorvoSol

I know you're going to be playing P4G the whole time anyway since that's all we basically talk about, haha.

I can't quit it! I'm so in love with this stupid game. I NEED to get all SLinks Maxed so I can get some closure until Summer break when I'll be able to play P4 Arena.

@CorvoSol: I almost want to semi-revive that 25th anniversary playthrough thread because I really want to do that Interlude playthrough, but I wonder if it's best to do it in here. :/

Playthrough thread might be ideal, tho. I dunno.

Do you know how not healthy it would be for me if you revived that thread? I'd be tempted to pick up where I left off and finish the series, Schala. Especially since X HD is coming out soon. Then I'd play LR and Type-0 AGAIN. Jucksalbe would spiral back into updating that unholy list of playthroughs. Reawakening that thread is tampering with forces too powerful for our mortal selves.

So either make a run-through thread specifically for FF series run throughs or do it in here. Lord knows I WILL make you all sit through my Type-0 English run through.

Heropon

I can't quit it! I'm so in love with this stupid game. I NEED to get all SLinks Maxed so I can get some closure until Summer break when I'll be able to play P4 Arena.

Completing those SLinks is really addictive for some reason. The first months you have this satisfying feeling of increasing those bars at a fast rate and then in the last months you understand that you won't have time for all of them and you decide that it's better to make sacrifices to get some more MAX ranks at the expense of the kid, another kid, the stepmother and Naoto. It's so addictive that in my current P3P playthrough I try delaying the moment I go into Tartarus the most I can. The other reason is that some idiots WILL always wander into it at the end of the month, causing me to return and revisit the same floors again.

Lord knows I WILL make you all sit through my Type-0 English run through.

I'm waiting for this!

Top Bottom