• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Jesus christ, there is way too much exposition in LR

I don't think i'm a person with high standards, but even watching cutscenes on youtube is tedious because conversations are too redundant. The final showdown between Lightning and the final boss is the most egregious offender.

Not only that, but the plot is so direct that it's honestly a little insulting.

This is what I said over in the LR OT

So Lightning is going to confront Snow, but can't get through the door. What to do, what to do. Lightning then has an idea: Use the necklace that Snow gave Serah all those years ago to open the door. All along that necklace has been a symbol of Snow's love for Serah, so Lightning surmises that if Snow is truly "salvageable", the pendant will open the door where nothing else will. This is easy symbolism to understand and only needs to be acknowledged with a few words. "So, you still do love her" and a smirk from Snow would have been sufficient if they honestly felt the need to explain it. Any one who paid the slightest bit of attention during the past two games would have been able to figure it out. But what does the game do anyway? Have Lightning monologue to herself about what it all means, and then they have Snow comment on it for a bit. Every last detail is explained. So what could have been a clever little bit of symbolism now comes across as "hey, dumb shit. This is what this obvious symbolism means".

Same thing with the little girl who lost her doll in Luxerion. Rather than letting us infer the very obvious reason why Lightning would connect with the little girl, we get yet another monologue from Lightning "she hopes to see her mother, despite all the odds, just as I hope to see Serah".

That, coupled with the utter redundancy of so many of the plot points and much of the exposition made LR an utter bore. That doesn't even get into the inconsistency. Don't get me started on the inconsistency.

Edit: Oh, and some of the stuff Hope points out is just... ugh.

NPC: "Actually, this is the place and around the time they meet"

Hope: "That's important information, Light!"

Me: "NO SHIT!"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Lightning Returns Yusnaan Spoiler

What do you guys think of Lightning's fantabulous dance of destruction in a gown?

Just pre-ordered FFX | X-2 for PS3. Really wanted the Vita version too but couldn't justify the cost.

Please, please, please make FFXII HD.

Please.

Squeenix needs to release it just like that, no character model changes. Day one purchase.

Edit:
Am I the only one who liked the 'tin can' sound from the voice acting? It was oddly endearing to me.

I don't know if you're the only one, but I certainly didn't like it. It just felt low quality to me, and I personally hope they correct it.

I can see why it might be endearing to some though.

I don't know if you're the only one, but I certainly didn't like it. It just felt low quality to me, and I personally hope they correct it.

And I can see why people didn't like it haha, I wouldn't be terribly upset if it was remastered.

Hyunashi

I got to play the PAL version which I believe was better off than what NA got? Im not sure but anyway, for me it is a top 5 FF mainly because of the hours I spent on the game and the amount of times I ran through it (3). However I can see how all the changes would not appeal to everyone.

When the HD version does come (I cant see why it would not), I hope they give a platinum for Yiazmat and leave the battle unchanged.
5 hours of frustration yay!

I got to play the PAL version which I believe was better off than what NA got? Im not sure but anyway, for me it is a top 5 FF mainly because of the hours I spent on the game and the amount of times I ran through it (3). However I can see how all the changes would not appeal to everyone.

When the HD version does come (I cant see why it would not), I hope they give a platinum for Yiazmat and leave the battle unchanged.
5 hours of frustration yay!

I love XII but it's the only FF I've only completed once. I tried again a few years ago, got about halfway through then my 60GB PS3 got YLOD so that put an end to it. Now I just feel like it's almost not worth starting again because there might be a HD release soon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wish there was a way to get people to agree to hate play P3B with me, just so I could see it. But I just KNOW certain elements in Gaming Side would never allow me to call for an intentional hate-play of Lord Toriyama's finest work.
I ain't playing that again for a long time.

Lightning Returns Yusnaan Spoiler

What do you guys think of Lightning's fantabulous dance of destruction in a gown?
Eh. I didn't care. Yusnaan is the strongest part of the game, there's no doubt about that. But I think I met almost all of the cutscenes with indifference when I didn't feel that way in the previous two games.

What I did yesterday, since I ran out of things to do is I slept at the inn to pass the days because I don't feel like being assed to keep fighting things for drops for quests I've completed and fighting for Last Ones gets really boring without a lot of incentives for it. Odd the thing to do was just sleep at inns until the day when the secret dungeon opened up. And hey, look, all of the fights there aren't as boring/strategy-free and require specialized setups, and you're forced to go through the fights faster because time flows through battles and you can't use Chronostasis. And the fights mean something because you get some equips, it's for a quest, and you get a trophy for fighting 10 of them.

See, if this were Majora's Mask, I could just rewind the clock, fight off the bosses again, purify the land, play Song of Double Time / redo the Couple's Mask quest, get some heart pieces, do a minigame, etc. and fight the final boss. I actually have stuff to do... that I want to do instead of waiting on the game to catch up to my progress when I've pretty much done everything I wanted to do. Weird structure, this game. I want it to be done, but it keeps extending, haha.

Back then, we were like gods among men. = D
Outclasses everyone before class change. I always felt they got shortchanged.

PK Gaming

Not only that, but the plot is so direct that it's honestly a little insulting.

This is what I said over in the LR OT

That, coupled with the utter redundancy of so many of the plot points and much of the exposition made LR an utter bore. That doesn't even get into the inconsistency. Don't get me started on the inconsistency.

Edit: Oh, and some of the stuff Hope points out is just... ugh.

NPC: "Actually, this is the place and around the time they meet"

Hope: "That's important information, Light!"

Me: "NO SHIT!"

Right

I can handle a poor story, but I draw the line when it's actually hard to sit through cutscenes. I don't remember FFXIII script being nearly as bad in retrospect.

CorvoSol

Nah, son.

Remember when I wanted to do a playthrough of Tecmo Secret of the Stars? Naaaaah.

But you can stare in horror
at the Shower scene as you realize that in spite of this being a 20 something year old woman's body, the mind controlling it is still like, 16!
You can tear your hair out as
it dawns on you that the incredibly creepy conversations between Aya and her super horny Dr. Hojo rip off are the only human interactions in the game!
You can curse the Gods
because of that jarring transition at the end of Chapter 4 or whatever!
And you can scream repeatedly
"BUT WHY DID THOSE GUYS COME TO SHOOT AYA AND KYLE!?" and know that the event which set this entire plot in order NEVER GETS EXPLAINED.

I'm glad I don't have my copy with me, because I would actually be very tempted to pick it up and play it again, just to post the most scathing RTTP Gaming side had ever seen.

Crazy Stuff

I'm glad I don't have my copy with me, because I would actually be very tempted to pick it up and play it again, just to post the most scathing RTTP Gaming side had ever seen.

This is the reason I spoiled LR for myself.(kinda regret it, damn Toriyama haha)

I had some fun with the game, the PE series has never been that big deal on gameplay. I played enough to unlock Light's costume.

CorvoSol

This is the reason I spoiled LR for myself.(kinda regret it, damn Toriyama haha)

I had some fun with the game, the PE series has never been that big deal on gameplay. I played enough to unlock Light's costume.

I played the game once through. I wanted to get all the costumes, but I never went back to it. I actually felt that, stripped of its plot, the game was just fine.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Actually, the game part of T3B is alright, but unbalanced. Playing it wouldn't be a big issue. (Though with that said, I feel like the game itself is divisive since it isn't really an RPG at all; more of an action game with RPG elements and the bosses are great.) The gameplay is pretty good. It gets an awful reputation because of--surprise--its narrative being stupid.

It's the story part of the game I don't feel like playing because you know me when I do playthroughs on GAF. I have to say something about the story and I don't wanna since it speaks for itself and it'd be more like beating a dead horse. It's more like... please let me play a game I like for a little bit. I know I'm playing Ocarina of Time Master Quest and still hacking away at Danganronpa and I really want to get deeper into Dragon Quest VII, but pleeeeaaase.

I can't wait for FFX-2 HD. One of the best games, ever. I -wish- that game had crossbuy, but game companies gonna game company.

CorvoSol

Actually, the game part of T3B is alright, but unbalanced. Playing it wouldn't be a big issue. (Though with that said, I feel like the game itself is divisive since it isn't really an RPG at all; more of an action game with RPG elements and the bosses are great.) The gameplay is pretty good. It gets an awful reputation because of--surprise--its narrative being stupid.

It's the story part of the game I don't feel like playing because you know me when I do playthroughs on GAF. I have to say something about the story and I don't wanna since it speaks for itself and it'd be more like beating a dead horse. It's more like... please let me play a game I like for a little bit. I know I'm playing Ocarina of Time Master Quest and still hacking away at Danganronpa and I really want to get deeper into Dragon Quest VII, but pleeeeaaase.

I can't wait for FFX-2 HD. One of the best games, ever. I -wish- that game had crossbuy, but game companies gonna game company.

I kind of feel that T3B has a fair amount in common with T-0 and CC, which isn't a surprise since Tabata was director for all three. I only bought it to get the costume for Dissidia, but MAN. That plot is such a train wreck. I remember trying to figure it out on GameFAQs back in the day and just having no success at all.

Enthus

So, I'm assuming that if I want to play XII, I should play the International version? I'll be emulating it, so language won't be an issue. I've had the XII collector's edition for a long time now and never got around to starting the game, and at this point I'd much rather emulate.

CorvoSol

So, I'm assuming that if I want to play XII, I should play the International version? I'll be emulating it, so language won't be an issue. I've had the XII collector's edition for a long time now and never got around to starting the game, and at this point I'd much rather emulate.

What little of the International Version I played was great, so I'd recommend it, yeah.

Szadek

Most likely easy,unless you prefer license board classic.

Hyunashi

SougoXIII

Fineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

But it's only happening once BD is finished. It better be worth it. :mad:

While I feel that Persona 4 is severely overhype, it's a pretty good game and is currently the best game the vita have to offer. (That's a bit depressing actually T-T )

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ok seriously guys, why do I keep finding LR so goddamn difficult. I've never struggled so much to get my head round a battle system.
What are your setups, first for all? And how many quests/areas have you done and gone through?

For the most part, it can work a lot like FF13/FF13-2. You find abilities with high stagger class (check the ranks for each ability--C-A is good for stagger), and you should probably equip them. Whenever something is weak against something, you should probably spam it to stagger. What I generally like to do is, because different spells have different animation times, is gauge what the enemy is weak against elementally, and if the spell can be cast quick without you being close (ex: Aero/Thunder), I use it. If the spell is a throw attack (ex: Fire--and Blizzard is the slowest elemental spell to me), use a light slash or an attack so you can move close to the enemy and make the throw spell have less range to cross so you can do it faster. It's just like FF13 when Thunder was the fastest spell to cast since it had no travel time, and I still kinda feel that way. Most enemies in this game seem weak to fire, though, so getting close or throwing a fira or fire+ spell would be decent. I love using those four garbs you find early on in the wildlands (Ignition, Watery Chorus, etc. Those elemental ones). The + spells they have are decent enough to take them out, and they're more viable as mages for me than the actual mage garbs. I honestly used Ignition and Electronica up until the final day since it has low ATB cost per spell, but I upgraded to L'Automne and that Urban mage thing.

Are you perfect guarding? Most enemies are really really really slow to animate, so when it almost animates to hit you, guard immediately to perfect guard. If you're having more issues, equip a garb like Paladin/Quiet Guardian/Splendid Admiral and tank them up with Heavy Guard or something and debuff. Debuffs are your best friend.

Also, those merchants who are called "Adventuring Essentials" typically sell you the entire libra entry for monsters found in the area. Those libra entries basically tell you point-by-point how to take down enemies in the area. And the bosses have their own libra entries that can be found in treasure chests in the dungeons/areas where they are.

It's almost like a skill that's been developed since FF13. Since everything seems to function like FF13 but the button control is different and you lack party members, but the enemies kinda behave similarly save for a few. The thing about the FF13 games' enemies for the most part, and Noi's free to chime in for a bit since he and I have talked about it before, is that they move really slowly. So when you fight enough of them, you know their attack patterns and how they animate. You can probably time it frame-by-frame after a while of fighting them. So it's more of a matter of getting used to timing and guarding.

Using stuff like the Preta Hood and other accessories that protects against 75% of a magic/physical attack on a tank garb like Paladin/Splendid Admiral/Quiet Guardian and giving the heavy guard + debuffs/maybe some spells to stagger with would be a good idea. That way you can debuff or try to stagger without taking much damage. I did that for Caius on Normal and it was kinda funny watching Lightning constantly cast spells with Caius doing no damage to her. *shrug*

Some enemies have more than one level of stagger, so if you do have the adventuring essentials libra for those, it'll tell you what to do for Level 1 stagger and what to do for Level 2 stagger. Sometimes, it's "cast spells for level 1 stagger, then when that is achieved, physically attack for level 2 stagger". Sometimes it's a case of resource management, too, since you should manage what you do per outfit. Your performance in battle isn't necessarily what you do in battle. It's what you equip and how you customize. Just like how it's always been in the FF13 games. This game isn't any different aside from input.

And finally, do sidequests. Do tons and tons of sidequests. However many you can, because that's how you get more stats. What I like to do is do the X-1/X-2 main quests in an area first (and maybe X-3 if I can manage it) and then move on to the next area and do the X-1/X-2 quests there. The game's kinda structured in that way where they know you can't do a lot at first, so it's best to do two main quest and then move on. You'll find that you'll have plenty of time towards the end if you do 14 days in one playthrough, so with time management and constant Chronostasis, you can do it.

My philosophy for all three FF13 games is "treat everything like a Shaolong Gui". Play defensively and only play offensively when required.

Red Mage

So, those of you who've played them, what do you guys think of Blue Dragon and Last Remnant? Worth picking up alongside Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey?

Levyne

Banned
I really really liked The Last Remnant. Irrationally so. It's likely my favorite game of the past generation.

Before I say more, every other game you've listed is a 360 game, would this be the 360 version?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If you play The Last Remnant, play the PC version. Soooooooooo much better and it has fixes for stuff that didn't work well in the 360 version. Definitely one of the best games of the generation with a fantastic battle system.

Don't have a 360, but I've heard tons of good stuff about Blue Dragon and I've been poked multiple times to play it. Lost Odyssey has a great soundtrack. Infinite Undiscovery is a game that I'm completely in the dark about.

...I need to get my own 360 one day.

Top Bottom