• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Red Mage

Hah, well, what do I know? I didn't really play the original version and hardly ever use Red Mages anyway.

Well, INT is never used, some set value is instead. Instant Death spells (including Stone, poison, Death, Quake, etc.) also never, ever work, making a lot of the Black Mage's exclusive spells worthless. Together, it means Red Mages have the same Magic Damage as Black Mages, have more HP, better armor and weapons AND can act as a secondary Healer when needed. Only spell you lose out on is Flare, and you don't get much Lv. 8 MP anyhow as a Black Mage.

Anyhow, I played the original FF countless times as a kid, so I tend to know what works and what doesn't. That's why I would want to do a FF3 challenge.

CorvoSol

Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeechnically the Bab-il Tower doesn't reappear. It just starts glowing again. It reactivates. It wasn't exactly ever destroyed in FF4.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Jucksalbe can do the FF1 thread if he'd like to~
Dunno if it'll compete with the FF5JF if you posted now, though.

Aw, you're making it sound like I took it away from you.
Anyway, the FFV4JF usually starts at the end of May, doesn't it? So, technically there'd still be some time left.

Anyhow, I played the original FF countless times as a kid, so I tend to know what works and what doesn't. That's why I would want to do a FF3 challenge.

Final Fantasy III is quite a bit longer, which would be a problem for a challenge in which you're out when you die. Plus, you only get your jobs bit by bit, so an "all X" run wouldn't be possible (unless it's a starting class). The game probably would fit the format of the Job Fiesta more.

Red Mage

Anyway, the FFV4JF usually starts at the end of May, doesn't it? So, technically there'd still be some time left.

Final Fantasy III is quite a bit longer, which would be a problem for a challenge in which you're out when you die. Plus, you only get your jobs bit by bit, so an "all X" run wouldn't be possible (unless it's a starting class). The game probably would fit the format of the Job Fiesta more.

All right, just don't do something like all Black Mages.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Haha, I found the old videos I recorded for that challenge. The Astos battle was a 14 minute fight of three (sadly...) White Mages hitting for 1 dmg with a hit ratio of about 50%. Can't believe that worked.

Edit:

3-04.jpg

:(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Naaah. I have my hands full with:
- Legaia thread
- my own summer of RPGs
- Keeping track of some Sonic speedruns throughout the summer and doling prizes out.

So, you can totally have it, lol.

White Mages hitting for 1 dmg with a hit ratio of about 50%.
oh wow, that's pretty crazy

CorvoSol

I don't know why I worded it that way. It figuratively appears again in plot terms but yeah.

Ah well, whatevs. It's ridiculous how many chapters stop and stare at the tower until you remember that the game was originally built in such a way that you didn't have to play every chapter.

Levyne

Banned
I thought Ultima and Omega Weapon were gonna be harder than I was told in FFX. Although I was surprised when a full 2 hit Attack Reel didn't kill him.

I remember being told that they were harder but I really didn't feel it. I guess Omega was more of a joke than I remembered, and even now is still a punchline. The whole 'new' endgame took all the wind out of my sails.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So is that a prize or a "prize" because I've seen Steam Games and I've also seen Steam "games"
Steam game of the winner's choice.

I promise that the next speedrun competition will have better prizes, though. This one was basically the "growing pains" edition.

I remember being told that they were harder but I really didn't feel it. I guess Omega was more of a joke than I remembered, and even now is still a punchline. The whole 'new' endgame took all the wind out of my sails.

Well when I read up on Ultima Weapon, I figured he was easy because I think he only has 99k HP? In a game that features damage limit breaking? lol

Omega was a bit tougher, and he actually got to attack twice, but he was still a pushover. I think I just psyched myself out because the Monster Arena guys are so ludicrously difficult.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The FFX platinum is sooooo long. ;_;

Jucksalbe

Banned
I think I'll rather wait a bit with that Ironman thread. There's no hurry and I don't think now's the best time to do it. Maybe in August on the anniversary of the old thread.

Heropon

Just finished Ceodore's tale and I want to ask what should I expect if I try to do the challenge cave. How tough are the enemies? Is it the reward worth it? Is there a recommended level?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm lead to believe FFX is one of the easiest games in the series.

Yeah I personally think it has nothing against FF5 or BDFF. Most of the bosses so far seem to be one trick ponies and it's a matter of using the one character that makes the boss a cakewalk and then you win with the exception of superbosses. I mean if they had to lock Blue Magic to an overdrive mode to limit it's use you know the game is too easy. I stopped after beating Omnis because I have other games that are more fun to play. Ironically as much flak as the BDFF characters get I like them a lot better then the dysfunctional band you get in FFX.

Another issue I have is weapons and armor don't really have stats just skills and all your stats are directly controlled by nodes on a sphere grid so I really disagree with the equipment and leveling system. Not really a bunch of variety for you to use throughout the course of the game.

Guess I'm too old school to appreciate the barebones streamlined approach.

Heropon

Then go ahead. Repeat the dungeon as many times you want or until you get all the good stuff. In the original, the final prize was completely random. Now you'll get all the good stuff first.

Thanks. I hope the enemies aren't too much of a headache then.

CorvoSol

Really you just need to make sure to get the adamantite out of the challenge dungeon. I only think there are useful things in them in other chapters, like Palom's.

Holykael1

Banned
Meh, I am with Jucksalbe on this one(shocking I know lol).

I was taken aback myself when I started XIII-2 but the more I played, the more I started to like it. It's just a matter of getting used to the differences.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The only part of XIII-2 I really really enjoyed were the DLC battles that Noi had to force me to get. Otherwise, the balancing was really off and I'm disappointed that some of my favourite classes from FF13 were completely nerfed so much so that they didn't really need to be used anymore. As I said in the OT for that thread, I played the main game on the hardest mode it'd give me with Noel and Serah with no monsters outside of 2 battles, and I still made it out in piece. The DLC battles were good in that they forced you to make a monster just for that battle alone. That's good implementation of the monster mechanic as opposed to the finicky "well, you just need the bare minimum" that the main game does.

I'm with Corvo (and Pokecapn, for that matter) in saying that it should've been its own game because the actual premise is decent. You have two people going through time to try to save it, some guy who guards time doesn't like that you're doing all of this garbage because it messes with the flux of the world (let's drop the desire to save someone else from this for the time being), and thus you're stuck at a crossroads. It's continuously implied to you that you're not going to make that much of a difference, what you're doing is probably not the best idea on your part or the fate of the world's part, and this dude's gunning for you because you're fucking things up on other ends of the scale (which would have made the idea of "circular" time flow a little better).

I... don't think it's a bad premise on paper. In practice, it maybe wasn't that great. I think if it weren't stuck to the FNC mythos, the premise could have benefitted and it would have gotten more flexibility as its own IP.

Holykael1

Banned
That's actually true, it would have worked better as it's own thing..
At the same time, I still think it worked with the XIII baggage. For the most part they used all new characters and they were able to create cool scenarios and the pacing was great.

The thing about the difficulty once again is spot on.. I imagine how people who value that a lot would feel disappointed in the game.
The best analogy I can come up with to describe the sort of fun I had with the game is a kirby platformer. They lack challenge but they are a blast to play with thoroughly enjoyable mechanics. It also didn't feel out of place considering that half of the FF's are easy or easily broken.

The only part of XIII-2 I really really enjoyed were the DLC battles that Noi had to force me to get. Otherwise, the balancing was really off and I'm disappointed that some of my favourite classes from FF13 were completely nerfed so much so that they didn't really need to be used anymore. As I said in the OT for that thread, I played the main game on the hardest mode it'd give me with Noel and Serah with no monsters outside of 2 battles, and I still made it out in piece. The DLC battles were good in that they forced you to make a monster just for that battle alone. That's good implementation of the monster mechanic as opposed to the finicky "well, you just need the bare minimum" that the main game does.

I'm with Corvo (and Pokecapn, for that matter) in saying that it should've been its own game because the actual premise is decent. You have two people going through time to try to save it, some guy who guards time doesn't like that you're doing all of this garbage because it messes with the flux of the world (let's drop the desire to save someone else from this for the time being), and thus you're stuck at a crossroads. It's continuously implied to you that you're not going to make that much of a difference, what you're doing is probably not the best idea on your part or the fate of the world's part, and this dude's gunning for you because you're fucking things up on other ends of the scale (which would have made the idea of "circular" time flow a little better).

I... don't think it's a bad premise on paper. In practice, it maybe wasn't that great. I think if it weren't stuck to the FNC mythos, the premise could have benefitted and it would have gotten more flexibility as its own IP.

It totally started out as Chrono Break with Magus protecting Schala. ;-)

CorvoSol

I left that out, because I knew you would mention it anyway. And I say it again: I liked that ending.

Worst ending in the entire franchise. (I still haven't seen LR's ending, granted). In fairness it COULD have been a perfectly fine ending until Toriyama decided that the efforts of two games needed to be invalidated without logic, explanation or reason in a shiny CGI cutscene while inappropriately cheerful music played. And then the words TO BE CONTINUED.

I am starting to enjoy it. Really like the unusual music for a Final Fantasy, as I did with X-2.

Crazy Chocobo should not have been DLC for Theatrhythm. It should've been choice number one for songs to include from that game.

Holykael1

Banned
I am starting to enjoy it. Really like the unusual music for a Final Fantasy, as I did with X-2.

The music is phenomenal, one of my favourite things about the game.
I knew it had an overall amazing OST the moment I heard Invisible Invaders

The battle themes are awesome aswell but they took a while to "blend" after having heard blinded by light for 60 hours in the very recent past.

Messiah

Hopefully LR will be cheaper once I finish XIII-2.

The FPS-drops in some areas are rather annoying I got to say.

I am now at the point where I can choose where to go for the first time. Should I rather start with the Lightning DLC or play that after the main story or somewhere inbetween?

Holykael1

Banned
Hopefully LR will be cheaper once I finish XIII-2.

The FPS-drops in some areas are rather annoying I got to say.

I am now at the point where I can choose where to go for the first time. Should I rather start with the Lightning DLC or play that after the main story or somewhere inbetween?

The Lightning DLC is after the ending. You would spoil things doing it now. If you havent bought it yet.. Don't. Just watch the damn thing on youtube, it's not even worth the money, thank god I didn't buy it.

Messiah

The Lightning DLC is after the ending. You would spoil things doing it now. If you havent bought it yet.. Don't. Just watch the damn thing on youtube, it's not even worth the money, thank god I didn't buy it.

Ah okay, thanks. I am a weak human being and bought the DLC-Pack :\

Top Bottom