• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Grudy

Played about 1:30 -2 hours of 13 this morning. Initials thoughts:

1. Damn this game looks good. CG cutscenes and even in game look fantastic.

2. It's kinda hard to understand what's going on in the story. It's weird that when I went to load up a save that the loading screen explained far more about what was going on compared to what I've learned so far in game.

3. The characters seem fine for the most part. Lightning seems alright and so does Sazh. Freaking Vanille though... What accent does she have?

4. Battle system seems cool just doesn't have much flexibility as of now.

Going to be playing some more in a little but enjoying what I've played so far.

1. Some of the environments look absolutely amazing. Sulyya Springs is probably my favorite area in any game for a long time.

2. Don't worry you're not alone. Although I am big fan of the mythos, you should check out the codex if you're interested in this stuff.

3. They all make me cringe...all the time..especially snow ;_;

4. Wait till chapter 11, that's where the battle system really starts to shine. Especially when you do some of the tougher side missions.

Noi

Schala has very strong feelings about Xenosaga.
KskK4o3.gif

Holykael1

Banned
Shion is pretty unlikeable I'll give you that..
I don't think she is poorly written or characterized however.

I like cutscenes myself(Metal Gear, Xenosaga...) but I can also appreciate when a game uses the unique qualities of gaming in it's narrative. Nier comes to mind(and of course nierly all Valve games, Zero Escape, Dark Souls, AA and Bioshock 1 for instance).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Schala has very strong feelings about Xenosaga.
KskK4o3.gif
Schala has very very strong feelings about Xenosaga and I think I've made my feelings about it well-known at this point, lol. The only parts I liked in Xenosaga was the URTV stuff and lots of the stuff about Ziggy, so that basically means that I mostly liked the second game even though it was slooooowwww.

Nothing in Xenosaga comes close to that scene in Eternal Sonata that takes 500 centuries to finish, though.

I like cutscenes myself(Metal Gear, Xenosaga...) but I can also appreciate when a game uses the unique qualities of gaming in it's narrative. Nier comes to mind(and of course nierly all Valve games, Zero Escape, Dark Souls, AA and Bioshock 1 for instance).
What I really liked in Nier was all the nods to other game genres. It made me appreciate the game a lot more.

I didn't like the game when I first started it because I didn't care much for the combat, and then I got to the Junk Heap bit, the narrative bit there struck me, and then I realized I should probably play it for the story/dialogue/voicework and video game references instead.

...lol, I think a few years ago in this very thread folks were trying to get me to platinum it, but I think I got tired of getting all of the materials for weapons and didn't bother with Ending C/D.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Schala has very very strong feelings about Xenosaga and I think I've made my feelings about it well-known at this point, lol. The only parts I liked in Xenosaga was the URTV stuff and lots of the stuff about Ziggy, so that basically means that I mostly liked the second game even though it was slooooowwww.

Yeah Ziggurat 8 was one of my favs. He needed more fleshing out. They did in the JP only rerelease of X1-2 for DS but still.

Holykael1

Banned
Most of his backstory was shoved in the datalog of episode 3.. Originally his past was going to be an episode in on itself.

As far as Xenosaga goes, Xenosaga 3 is king for me but I like 2 better than 1. The music and character development are far superior in 2. 1 has better gameplay and superior customization but I also enjoyed the battle system of 2 for the most part, in the beginning-middle it actually felt really fast paced.

Levyne

Banned
I was very confused with the sub plots involving Pied Piper and stuff like that. Never did follow up on whatever that was.

I don't know if it's my favorite because I've forgotten more than I remember, but I do feel like I enjoy XS2 more than most people. A combination of having played it first and also some of the URTV storylines were easier for me to make any sort of connection with. The way battles were executed was also different enough to be memorable. I remember more about how 2 plays than 3, to put it that way. Also Jr. seems like a much better character than Shion.

It was also short to its benefit, and some of the optional encounters were a real blast to conquer. I will never forget the day I finally beat the optional duder in Old Miltia. None of the other series bosses required a lot of effort or preparation. And I don't mean FFX "grind it out in the arena" type preparation. It's just too bad that you spend longer than needed within MOMO's subconscious, feels like a third of the game.

Seda

I played Eternal Sonata, and I didn't care for it much. Apparently it's better on a second playthrough due to several things being locked away on the first, but I can't be bothered to do that.

However I don't recall what scene Schala is talking about.

EDIT: I'm pretty much on the same page as Levyne regarding Xenosaga

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I'll admit that I liked XS2 more than a lot of people do. Despite how slow it is and the fact that the pacing's quite off (since, like Levyne said, you spend longer than you should in some dungeons), I think it's my favourite of the three. I think the URTV story is told quite well. I just with Ziggy got more time to shine in the spotlight than he already had.

I also like Crispin Freeman's voice a lot, sooooo... >.>

I'm not sure what you mean by Sonic Generations though. I skipped cutscenes in that one.
I mean this (at least the first two) and this.

However I don't recall what scene Schala is talking about.
The one where
it takes the person 500 hours to die because they won't shut up. this one

But I'll agree that it's much better on a second playthrough. The difficulty increased, and battles thus become more strategic than what they were on the first playthrough. You also unlock the extra dungeons and stuff and can backtrack on a second playthrough, so it feels like how the game should have been the first time around. Boggling why they thought that was good design, but whatever.

Seda

The one where
it takes the person 500 hours to die because they won't shut up.

But I'll agree that it's much better on a second playthrough. The difficulty increased, and battles thus become more strategic than what they were on the first playthrough. You also unlock the extra dungeons and stuff and can backtrack on a second playthrough, so it feels like how the game should have been the first time around. Boggling why they thought that was good design, but whatever.

Ooooh that one. Not sure how I forgot it, I now recall chuckling like a maniac how so very melodramatic it was.

PK Gaming

I was thinking thinking of picking a PSN card for SMT: Nocturne + a RPG classic on PSN.

To be honest, when I see you guys talk about games like Xenosaga and what not, I get incredibly jealous :X

So what should I try? I haven't played BoF4 yet, and I heard that game was amazing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So. Final Fantasy III on Steam. Recommendations? Personally, the aesthetics are off putting at first glance.
Play the Famicom version instead.

...they need to make a version of FF3 in the vein of the FF4 PSP collection and ditch that job change system that FF3 DS implemented in favour of the one that FF3 did.

Holykael1

Banned
I was thinking thinking of picking a PSN card for SMT: Nocturne + a RPG classic on PSN.

To be honest, when I see you guys talk about games like Xenosaga and what not, I get incredibly jealous :X

So what should I try? I haven't played BoF4 yet, and I heard that game was amazing.

BoF4 is good stuff though I haven't been able to fully finish it, it was really good up until the point I played several years ago. Have been meaning to start it up again soon.
BoF3 is my favourite though, I could write an endless love letter to it but I don't think it's available on PSN. Either way, 4 is a good pick.

Noi

It was also short to its benefit, and some of the optional encounters were a real blast to conquer.

I'd agree with you, except this guy exists.

N0WK1xf.jpg

I already had a pretty low opinion of the game by that point, but having to deal with this guy's bullshit guaranteed that the game was getting permanently shelved. (Though to be fair, almost everything revolving the E.S.s in XS2 was awful and poorly thought out).

Now fighting Ω Universitas and Ω ID in XS3? That was fun. Then again, XS3 had the only fun mecha fights in the trilogy.

Heropon

Rydia's tale completed. The last cave was much more manageable than the Sealed Cave, for some reason the encounter rate seemed lower. What that cave also had were bats. I remember that they only appeared in Eblan and the Sealed Cave in FFIV but this time doing various tales with similar level ranges I can imagine that they are here to stay.

The game sent me a character with 2000+ HP and then the chapter ended just after that. That's a pretty cruel tease and I can't forgive the developers for that.

Is black magic going to be better later? I know about Bio and its greatness thanks to a lack of charge but the other spells seem really underwelming now. The tier 2 spells do about the same damage as other characters' physical attacks and they have horrendous charge rates (physical attackers can attack twice while Rydia spends MP doing a mediocre job at dealing damage). Thanfully FF5 did away with the spell charge.

Psxphile

Is black magic going to be better later? I know about Bio and its greatness thanks to a lack of charge but the other spells seem really underwelming now.

Until you get Flare (or Quake for non-flying enemis), Bio will probably be your go-to spell unless you stand to reap the benefits of elemental weaknesses. One thing that I can credit TAY for doing something right is giving me a reason to use status spells like Stop, Break, Silence and Sleep. In FFIV you'll always have at least one tank to see you through battles and so if you're like me you'll just try to brute-force everything, but in TAY you'll sometimes be stuck with just mage characters and you'll need to take advantage of anything that'll give you an edge against some very brutal random encounters (Palom Chapter's Challenge Dungeon comes to mind).

I should probably replay TAY some day and actually finish it. Maybe I'll wait for the inevitable Steam version.

Schala, were you serious about that Let's Play LoL? Cause I'm already re-playing it and itching to talk about it in a proper thread...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Schala, were you serious about that Let's Play LoL? Cause I'm already re-playing it and itching to talk about it in a proper thread...
I was. I was going to make images, but I could post my draft sooner if you'd like.

I was in the middle of Granstream Saga, too, so that's why I waited, lol.

Psxphile

I was. I was going to make images, but I could post my draft sooner if you'd like.

I was in the middle of Granstream Saga, too, so that's why I waited, lol.

Hm, I don't want to rush you or anything. I just didn't want all these snaps I've been taking to go to waste. I can wait. I'm also in the middle of replaying other games so I'm not even devoting all my time to Legaia at the moment.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Okay. That sounds good. I have more time to dedicate to Granstream Saga these days, so I'll finish that up and post the thread asap. A few other people told me they were interested, so I will post it.

You were also waiting cause im not done with finals yet.
LVWzYQx.gif
I was?

Since when?
f6oXwAR.gif

Wazzy

Banned
I was supposed to start X-2 but I've decided I'll try out Persona 4.

But quick question:

Should I just go for it and spend $90 on Suikoden 2? I played 1 and heard such great things about 2 and I really want to play it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Should I just go for it and spend $90 on Suikoden 2? I played 1 and heard such great things about 2 and I really want to play it.

There was a recent ESRB rating for it (which got removed soon after, though), so there is a small chance it might come to PSN in the next few months.
I haven't played the game myself, so I can't say if it's worth the $90 in general.

PK Gaming

BoF4 is good stuff though I haven't been able to fully finish it, it was really good up until the point I played several years ago. Have been meaning to start it up again soon.
BoF3 is my favourite though, I could write an endless love letter to it but I don't think it's available on PSN. Either way, 4 is a good pick.
Gotcha. Maybe i'll track down BoF3 if I got sucked into the BoF series.
I was supposed to start X-2 but I've decided I'll try out Persona 4.

\o/

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here (or at PersonaGAF)

Heropon

Rydia learned Bio while completing the challenge dungeon and now she's a killing machine. The 20MP cost seems almost cheap with how destructive it is.

Despite how repetitive is sacking these challenge dungeons there's a rewarding feeling when those enemies that hit like a truck at the beginning become gradually easier to kill. Time to start another chapter!

CorvoSol

Challenge Dungeons in the PSP version are so much less horrible. Because in the Wii version you didn't know until the end if you'd done the RNG right to get the good stuff.

Heropon

Challenge Dungeons in the PSP version are so much less horrible. Because in the Wii version you didn't know until the end if you'd done the RNG right to get the good stuff.

Then I dodged a bullet by not trying them in that version.

Now that you remind me about the Wii version, I feel bad for spending money in that. Damn Squeezenix by releasing 4 and TAY so many times.

CorvoSol

Then I dodged a bullet by not trying them in that version.

Now that you remind me about the Wii version, I feel bad for spending money in that. Damn Squeezenix by releasing 4 and TAY so many times.

I own the SNES, GBA, DS and PSP versions of FF4. Tokita don' give a fuck we all his bitches in the long run.

He's like, "If I can't make the BEST Final Fantasy, I will certainly make the MOST Final Fantasy [4]!"

That or he is SUPER perfectionist and never satisfied that his baby is up to snuff.

Wazzy

Banned
There was a recent ESRB rating for it (which got removed soon after, though), so there is a small chance it might come to PSN in the next few months.
I haven't played the game myself, so I can't say if it's worth the $90 in general.
Hmmm yeah I saw that which is what's making me question buying it or not. :(
I am heavily biased when it comes to Suikoden II, but I wouldn't pay $90 for it...
I think it's more if it doesn't end up coming to psn then that's my only chance of playing it which sucks because a vita playthrough would be fantastic but they're not announcing anything.

I'll give it a month to see if any news comes out about a psn release and if not ill just buy it.

Thank you to both of you!
o/

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here (or at PersonaGAF)
Heh will do. :)

It's my first Persona so I'm sure I'll be asking questions. xD

Heropon

Yang's chapter was really uneventful apart from some Kain shenanigans. It felt like a déjà vu parade going as far as reminding me of E3 2006.

What this chapter did well was in the dungeon department, unlike the cavefest that were the last two this one had an impact crater, even if I missed the fission metroids
NOOOOOOOO
, and a forest at night. I think the later chapters return to the cavern so I'll have to applaud this one for being adventurous in terms of varying the tilesets.

CorvoSol

Yang's chapter was really uneventful apart from some Kain shenanigans. It felt like a déjà vu parade going as far as reminding me of E3 2006.

What this chapter did well was in the dungeon department, unlike the cavefest that were the last two this one had an impact crater, even if I missed the fission metroids
NOOOOOOOO
, and a forest at night. I think the later chapters return to the cavern so I'll have to applaud this one for being adventurous in terms of varying the tilesets.

Please enjoy the following selection of dungeons:

Waterfall Cave
Waterfall Cave
Waterfall Cave (Flashback)
Waterfall Cave (In Reverse)
Orange Cave
Green Cave
Space Cave
Different Colored Space Cave
Waterfall Space Cave

Heropon

Waterfall Cave
Waterfall Cave
Orange Cave
Green Cave
Space Cave
Waterfall Space Cave

Oh no... :(

This challenge dungeon seems unfair for now. I'll have to grind and I hate doing that.

Edit: I suppose I was underleveled.
Edit 2: STILL underleveled. This dungeon
mByij.gif

Not so final edit: I got the Adamantite the first time I reached the final chest but it seems there are more good treasures there so it's time to return again...
Final edit: I can't believe I'd say this but I was happy for once of seeing bats! They were inside the final chest and I sighed when I saw those pathetic weaklings there. Thanks, bats!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I started FFX2 earlier. That intro...I don't even know lol
Don't be that guy who turned the game off after the intro and didn't bother to actually play the thing.

Don't be that guy. That guy sucks.

Waterfall Cave
Waterfall Cave
Orange Cave
Green Cave
Space Cave
Waterfall Space Cave
I am sooooo effing siiiiiiiiick of the Waterfall Cave.

Can anyone help me find the summon-attack videos from Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy Itadaki Street Special? I remember them actually being pretty cool but they're nigh-on impossible to find now.

Top Bottom