• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Messiah

That's more or less how I felt when I played 13 but instead of thinking the characters were dumb, I thought the dialogue was dumb but still enjoyable in it's own cheesy way. I did however like the characters.
I guess the reason I got so defensive about it soon after finishing it was because I could not believe how overblown the hate was.
Played it like 1-2 months ago after hearing years of vitriol against it.

Also, and I am most likely in the minority with this, I was really intrigued by the world with the different societies on cocoon and on pulse. Too bad the game never really fleshed out this story arc. And who in the right mind thinks it is a great way to prevent the story by hiding most of it in datalogs?

Holykael1

Banned
Also, and I am most likely in the minority with this, I was really intrigued by the world with the different societies on cocoon and on pulse. Too bad the game never really fleshed out this story arc. And who in the right mind thinks it is a great way to prevent the story by hiding most of it in datalogs?

I agree. I really enjoyed the world but I did read all the datalogs as they were updated. It felt reminiscent of Xenosaga but I think they went a little bit overboard with it, it's a shame they didn't implement a lot of the cool aspects into the actual main plot.. Oh well.

It gets worse in XIII-2. This time, they don't even put a lot of it in a datalog... they put it in two 250 page Japanese only novels (fan translations came to the rescue). So on top of having a lot relegated to the datalogs, they now relegated important parts of the story to outside sources.

Messiah

I think you might enjoy the sequels since they focus more on the mythology.

I will play them for sure. Actually I am pretty excited for Lightning Returns, because I am a sucker for different outfits in games. What I am not a fan of is how ugly,stupid looking and fanservice-y :)P) most of the outfits are.

It gets worse in XIII-2. This time, they don't even put a lot of it in a datalog... they put it in two 250 page Japanese only novels (fan translations came to the rescue). So on top of having a lot relegated to the datalogs, they now relegated important parts of the story to outside sources.

Well, if the story really gets as weird and stupid as I heard I am hopefully beyond caring at that point ;)

Holykael1

Banned
I was not aware that such outside works existed on XIII-2 XD
I thought the amount of exposition was fine, enough to get a feel for everything atleast.

I will play them for sure. Actually I am pretty excited for Lightning Returns, because I am a sucker for different outfits in games. What I am not a fan of is how ugly,stupid looking and fanservice-y :)P) most of the outfits are.
Well, if the story really gets as weird and stupid as I heard I am hopefully beyond caring at that point ;)

XIII sequels were not planned, they had to take a few liberties story wise but I don't think it's very offensive.
If you don't expect any Citizen Kane you might enjoy them :p
For what it's worth they are strong in the character department(with a few misses).

Enthus

So I got FF2 on Android. I've had it on PSP for a while, but this is way more convenient. The only problem is, it keeps crashing when I try to pull up my menu. Anyone got any ideas on how to stop this? I'm on an HTC One M8, btw. I would just play it on PPSSPP, but the audio is fucked.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I got FF2 on Android. I've had it on PSP for a while, but this is way more convenient. The only problem is, it keeps crashing when I try to pull up my menu. Anyone got any ideas on how to stop this? I'm on an HTC One M8, btw. I would just play it on PPSSPP, but the audio is fucked.
Hmm. I'm not sure, but you can probably cross-post in the Android Gaming thread to see if you can get some help there too.

Actually outside of FFD, I've noticed a few FF games crashing on Android lately. Air Brigade, FFATB, and FF Picross outright bork for me sometimes on my Nexus 7. I wonder if it's due to an Android update instead. Going through the Google reviews for FF2, apparently people have had issues with it crashing even on startup and being completely buggy, so I think it might be an update issue.

The Chaos Rings games still work for me, though.

Wazzy

Banned
I like Kain the best. You could say he is the beginning of the "emo" and "angsty" FF characters ahah.(I don't actually believe they are emo and angsty for clarification. I like troubled characters if their reasons are understandable.)

Kain is okay. I don't like that he has long hair but otherwise I like his design. He can be really annoying about Rosa, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Does this ever succeed? For anyone? Ever? :(
I'm planning on finishing some stuff off and finally rounding out my NES repertoire (RPGs, for this summer). It can work!

I've finished about nearly 30 games this year already and am planning on finishing another one tonight. :V

speaking of IV, guess the next DLC character for TRCC

thffcc_09_cs2w2_213x.jpg

CorvoSol

Pff....I chronicle everything. It's just that certain people putting five games in one post made it a bit more work than it looked like.

Yeah! People like that suck!

Psst... Corvo... I think Jucksalbe's talkin' about you... :V

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!?

Does this ever succeed? For anyone? Ever? :(

Only the RPG backlog. The regular game backlog is infinite.

speaking of IV, guess the next DLC character for TRCC

thffcc_09_cs2w2_213x.jpg

I keep throwing money but Square still hasn't announced when they'll give me my gosh darn game.

CorvoSol

So by that logic, I guess we all know what character will be DLC for FFV

KrileCG.jpg

I mean, one can hope to God that FFV doesn't get DLC or they choose Tycoon or Gilgamesh, but if you were gonna pick a DLC character for FFV, that's the obvious choice, yes. It's not like FFV had a wide range of party members or guests to choose from.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Impressions from importers seems to be decent, but yeah, it only having two Mystic Quest songs really bummed me out.

I would've imported it, but it got announced for localization and I didn't want to be hit with the Schala Curse* again.

*There was a stretch of months late last year and early this year when I made the move to import a game and after it had shipped, it got announced for a localization. Happened with several games so far. :lol It hasn't happened with Puyo Puyo Tetris and I imagine that one's going to stay that way!

Maybe Corvo likes Rosa BECAUSE she's like a beer: she smells good, looks good, and he'd step over his own mother just to get her.
Corvo is Cecil.

It all makes sense now. All the fanfiction makes sense now.

CorvoSol

Rosa vs Krile for worst FF female

PS: Rosa wins by having the personality of a jug of beer.

Rosa not having a personality is better than Krile's painful and obnoxious one. I'll take bland wife sue over "HAS THE WRITER TOLD YOU HOW AWESOME KRILE IS IN THE LAST TEN MINUTES?" sue.

Maybe Corvo likes Rosa BECAUSE she's like a beer: she smells good, looks good, and he'd step over his own mother just to get her.

That last part makes me sound like Shadow, and I am not that cool.

Corvo is Cecil.

Please. If I'm any FF4 character the best I can hope to be is Palom. And not just because women in garish pink visors are attracted to me against my will.

Although mostly for that reason.

Corvo is Cecil.

But he can't stop at one. He wants to do ANOTHER run.

*many cans of Rosa's later*

"So I says; 'Yeah? You want that gil? Come and find it! 'Cause I don't know where it is, ya baloney! You make me wanna...WRETCH...'"

NateDog

The best FF IV character is Edge.

I loved Edge too. Only he and Porom really made an impression on me. I've only played the PSP version but I didn't really get all the focus on Ceodore in the CGI trailers and box art and then his (seemingly) minimal impact on the events of the game. I figured he'd at least head the group towards the end of The After Years but it didn't seem so.

On the subject of him, I didn't really use Edward much either. I mostly just got him to hide and save everyone in the case that I got obliterated.

All I know is that Kain was a traitorous douchebag in Dissidia who stabbed JYB in the back and Cecil was too drunk off his ass to do anything about it. YOU HAD ONE JOB, Cecil! ONE JOB!

He was the worst :[

I just finished XIII's story and boy, did I not expect it to end like that.

Did not expect that in a good way or a bad? Personally, I feel the ending crapped the bed. The story up to that point, while flawed, still interested me and I appreciated what it tried to do (didn't always succeed).

Messiah

Did not expect that in a good way or a bad? Personally, I feel the ending crapped the bed. The story up to that point, while flawed, still interested me and I appreciated what it tried to do (didn't always succeed).

I need to let it sink in. I liked it overall though. That said, I think the ending was one of the weaker parts of the story.

CorvoSol

All I know is that Kain was a traitorous douchebag in Dissidia who stabbed JYB in the back and Cecil was too drunk off his ass to do anything about it. YOU HAD ONE JOB, Cecil! ONE JOB!

Yeah but Kain being a treacherous douchebag is his thing. I mean 1) His name is frickin' KAIN. 2) In FF4 proper he betrays Cecil TWICE. 3) In the GBA version it's 3 times. 4) add TAY and Dissidia in and the number jumps to 5.

There's a reason I go "Now with more added Kain betrayals!" every time a new FF4 comes out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But he can't stop at one. He wants to do ANOTHER run.

*many cans of Rosa's later*

"So I says; 'Yeah? You want that gil? Come and find it! 'Cause I don't know where it is, ya baloney! You make me wanna...WRETCH...'"
Does he start writing postcards like this

There's a reason I go "Now with more added Kain betrayals!" every time a new FF4 comes out.
...and "Schala dies a little more inside."

CorvoSol

Is Rosa really that bad, Schala? *Hasn't played IV*

Honestly I think Rosa's problem is that she's just very, very bland. Like, imagine the most generic perfect girlfriend princess in a fantasy RPG and that's basically Rosa. Like you know how total idiots think that Aerith is this pure perfect demure girl who will ride Cloud's dick all the way to Male Fantasytown and not a character with some traits of her own? That's Rosa.

In the grand scheme of awful characters in this series, I think Rosa's biggest crime is just being unflavored.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Honestly I think Rosa's problem is that she's just very, very bland. Like, imagine the most generic perfect girlfriend princess in a fantasy RPG and that's basically Rosa. Like you know how total idiots think that Aerith is this pure perfect demure girl who will ride Cloud's dick all the way to Male Fantasytown and not a character with some traits of her own? That's Rosa.

In the grand scheme of awful characters in this series, I think Rosa's biggest crime is just being unflavored.
Nope, her stats suck ass too, especially when you try to naturally max her out and you notice that she just gets a +1 growth in everything while everyone else excels post Level 70. Rosa's only virtue of being in the final 5 is being Cecil and Kain's love interest and being the only good white mage there because Cecil sucks at studying and Rydia "forgot" White Magic. That's really her only claim to fame. Especially in the After Years compared to Porom. Lower Spir and MP, but she's a better attacker? Why would I use her as an attacker? Other people can equip Bows, so... *shrug* Even Porom can learn Dualcast in TAY and Rosa can't.

The only way to stat max her actually decently in via a few playthroughs in the DS version. And even in that version, she is always the most difficult character to stat max because of similar issues. Outside of that, if the party is malleable in end-game, I just take her out. Porom has a higher Spir than she does at the cost of just one Spd at even just Lv 70.

But hey man, Cecil leaves Rosa behind cuz she's sick in the interlude because he ain't got time for that.

At least Aeris is useful because she was basically planned as a Geomancer and that's what she does with her limit breaks and she was a more useful white mage based on a raw magic stat. Though to be fair, stats are completely negligible in FF7 anyway (especially since it's easy and E. Skill can break the game).

It isn't just that Rosa's a shitty character. Her stats are just weird.

At least Vanille was a great debuffer and black mage, and Lightning was all-around balanced (and even then, I didn't even use her and stuck to a party of Fang/Vanille/Hope until very last post-game when Hope's vitality deficiencies were a bit of a hindrance).

Rosa's at least good in the DS version once you give her Dualcasting and Omnicasting. At that point she becomes one of the best White Mages in the series (in the sense that very few have been able to cast certain buffs on the entire party simultaneously outside of the use of Mighty Guard or Carbuncle).

Heropon

Rosa's at least good in the DS version once you give her Dualcasting and Omnicasting. At that point she becomes one of the best White Mages in the series (in the sense that very few have been able to cast certain buffs on the entire party simultaneously outside of the use of Mighty Guard or Carbuncle).

This is exactly the reason I can't hate Rosa from a gameplay point of view. After having to endure Tellah for some dungeons Rosa was my most welcome character in the DS version.

SE should just re-release another version of FF4: Final Fantasy 4: Rosa died of desert fever edition. There will be no White Mage, and it will be the hardest version of FF4 ever.

Rosa is defined by her seemingly unending quest to be attached to Cecil's hip.

Alas there is one other female in the series that annoyed me far more than Rosa. Rosa is so bland, it's easy to forget her.

And we should make Schala wear another Rosa avatar again...=D

Top Bottom