• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Isn't it the best?

Me everytime I watch it:

4n6Y6OQ.gif

I just watched it again to make sure I wasn't going crazy. NOPE, IT'S AN ACTUAL THING! :lol

I'll probably get started on the game in the morning.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
beef-kun

if you weren't listening to shitty remixes you would've started the game already

j/k i still <3 u beefy, even if you don't do streams at 1fps anymore

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I had started FFX-2 but it will take time to get used to the active battle system. I just think it is weird. More used to standard turn based.

Haven't even finished FFX. Stopped after Omnis.

NateDog

Please enjoy the following selection of dungeons:

Waterfall Cave
Waterfall Cave
Waterfall Cave (Flashback)
Waterfall Cave (In Reverse)
Orange Cave
Green Cave
Space Cave
Different Colored Space Cave
Waterfall Space Cave

I laughed at this much too much. Sometimes I wonder how some of you put yourselves through this more than once. I was so tempted at times to just leave TAY on the floor.

CorvoSol

I laughed at this much too much. Sometimes I wonder how some of you put yourselves through this more than once. I was so tempted at times to just leave TAY on the floor.

I think the second time around, when I played the PSP version and cheated to get the rare items, the game was much more tolerable. I love FF4 and I think TAY has some great moments, but that does not really change that the game is in many ways a shitty romhack. TAY has a LOT of flaws.

It's still an infinitely better sequel than Dirge of Cerberus or XIII-2, which speaks not to its quality, but to how bad those games are.

PK Gaming

I think the second time around, when I played the PSP version and cheated to get the rare items, the game was much more tolerable. I love FF4 and I think TAY has some great moments, but that does not really change that the game is in many ways a shitty romhack. TAY has a LOT of flaws.

It's still an infinitely better sequel than Dirge of Cerberus or XIII-2, which speaks not to its quality, but to how bad those games are.

:(

I mean the story is utter garbage, but I actually had a pretty good time with FFXIII-2.

Heropon

Palom's tale reminded me how mediocre red mages/sages usually are. At least female Tellah was good at healing but one has to wonder why she learned black magic in the first place. Another redeeming factor was that I gave her some electric arrows and she wrecked some enemies in one of the world's waterways like a Rosa junior would do.

At the end of the chapter the two mages learned Antipode Particle Bomb but I haven't found a use for that apart from the scripted battle there. Normal enemies already die to normal spells and the challenge dungeon boss likes to be hit by elemental attacks.

Talking about that boss, it's so booooooring. Waiting for it to reveal its weakness, attack and repeat all the process lots of times is an incredible exercise of patience. And to think that I have to do it six more times.

CorvoSol

:(

I mean the story is utter garbage, but I actually had a pretty good time with FFXIII-2.

And that's okay. It was definitely an improvement in terms of gameplay over FFXIII, but there were still a number of quirks about it that I wasn't fond of. Especially the way different time periods were just different weather effects.

As I've said before, divorced from FFXIII's plot and with a little fine tuning I think it could've been a perfectly decent new IP from Square. The plot's attempts to tie into XIII and the sort of phoned in, rough nature of numerous elements though did not make it a very great game.

X-2 and Revenant Wings are the only sequels I've yet to play, though, and I confess Toriyama's involvement in the latter has put me off from it entirely. Ivalice has sort of been dead to me since that awful piece of lackluster that was TA2, though.

PK Gaming

And that's okay. It was definitely an improvement in terms of gameplay over FFXIII, but there were still a number of quirks about it that I wasn't fond of. Especially the way different time periods were just different weather effects.

As I've said before, divorced from FFXIII's plot and with a little fine tuning I think it could've been a perfectly decent new IP from Square. The plot's attempts to tie into XIII and the sort of phoned in, rough nature of numerous elements though did not make it a very great game.

Yeah, I agree completely. I like to pretend that's the case anyway (and that super silly ditzy Serah is the canon Serah).

EDIT: Something really freaky happened with your account Wazzy. When I reloaded this page, you had a tag that said "Blue Water" (or something along those lines) and a dog avatar, but when I went to make my post your account reverted back to normal.

I wish I took a screenshot.

Jucksalbe

Banned
EDIT: Something really freaky happened with your account Wazzy. When I reloaded this page, you had a tag that said "Blue Water" (or something along those lines) and a dog avatar, but when I went to make my post your account reverted back to normal.

You mean "Blended Water"? Just move your mouse cursor over the tag.

Wazzy

Banned
Haha yeah it's a cursor over tag. :p

Also I'm really enjoying p4. I've got three party members at the moment and I'm rescuing
Yukiko

Jucksalbe

Banned
All this talk about FF4 (and TAY) makes me want to play one of its versions that I still haven't finished. And now that I finally finished Phantasy Star II, I think I might continue my playthrough of the PSP version of FF4. I last played that in the anniversary thread, which was over....2 years ago.

PK Gaming

Haha yeah it's a cursor over tag. :p

Also I'm really enjoying p4. I've got three party members at the moment and I'm rescuing
Yukiko

Awesome!

Couple of tips:

• ABF (Always Be Fusing). Always fuse out your old Personas for new ones. Personas quickly fall out of use, so you constantly have to upgrade in order to keep up with the game. (A strong Persona will typically last one full dungeon at most) It can be a little daunting at first, but you'll get a rhythm for it eventually. Here's a helpful early game fusion tip: Get yourself a Ukobach (Devil arcana) and train it until learns Resist Fire. Then fuse that into a Persona that can create Archangel (Justice arcana). It'll be useful for the first boss. Archangel learns Media (a useful healing spell that heals the entire team) and Double fangs (a strong physical attack). You don't necessarily have to fuse Archangel, but any Persona that resists fire is ideal.
  • Make sure you have the right Personas when you social link with someone. For example, if you want to social link with Chie (Chariot arcana) make sure you have a Persona of the Chariot arcana before talking to her. This is because you gain additional points that go towards ranking up if you do.
  • Eat at Aiyas on rainy days! Aiya is a chinese restaurant that's located at the northern shopping district. On rainy days, they serve the "Rainy Day Special Mega Beef Bowl!" It costs a ridiculous amount of money, but in return, it randomly raises 3 of your "attributes (courage, diligence, knowledge, etc). It's the best way to raise your stats.
  • Keep track of the days where you can social link with your friends. You can't usually social link on rainy days & Sundays, so use those days to enter the dungeon/eat at Aiya.
  • Take it easy.
    You don't have to rescue Yukiko right away. Slowly build up your social links and get your team set up before you do. Make sure you have a lot of revive items before challenging the boss. Trust me, you'll need them
  • Let us know when you get to December 2nd. P4 has multiple endings, and you can potentially lock yourself out of the truth path if you mess up.

...That's about it. Holler if you're stuck!

Heropon

Let us know when you get to December 2nd. P4 has multiple endings, and you can potentially lock yourself out of the truth path if you mess up.

If I remember right you can save before that, so it isn't that bad if something goes wrong. I remember failing miserably the first time I got there.

Wazzy

Banned
Make sure to fuse Personas!

Awesome!

Couple of tips:

• ABF (Always Be Fusing). Always fuse out your old Personas for new ones. Personas quickly fall out of use, so you constantly have to upgrade in order to keep up with the game. (A strong Persona will typically last one full dungeon at most) It can be a little daunting at first, but you'll get a rhythm for it eventually. Here's a helpful early game fusion tip: Get yourself a Ukobach (Devil arcana) and train it until learns Resist Fire. Then fuse that into a Persona that can create Archangel (Justice arcana). It'll be useful for the first boss. Archangel learns Media (a useful healing spell that heals the entire team) and Double fangs (a strong physical attack). You don't necessarily have to fuse Archangel, but any Persona that resists fire is ideal.
  • Make sure you have the right Personas when you social link with someone. For example, if you want to social link with Chie (Chariot arcana) make sure you have a Persona of the Chariot arcana before talking to her. This is because you gain additional points that go towards ranking up if you do.
  • Eat at Aiyas on rainy days! Aiya is a chinese restaurant that's located at the northern shopping district. On rainy days, they serve the "Rainy Day Special Mega Beef Bowl!" It costs a ridiculous amount of money, but in return, it randomly raises 3 of your "attributes (courage, diligence, knowledge, etc). It's the best way to raise your stats.
  • Keep track of the days where you can social link with your friends. You can't usually social link on rainy days & Sundays, so use those days to enter the dungeon/eat at Aiya.
  • Take it easy.
    You don't have to rescue Yukiko right away. Slowly build up your social links and get your team set up before you do. Make sure you have a lot of revive items before challenging the boss. Trust me, you'll need them
  • Let us know when you get to December 2nd. P4 has multiple endings, and you can potentially lock yourself out of the truth path if you mess up.

...That's about it. Holler if you're stuck!
Thank guys!

I died on the boss so I need to level up and start fusing. xD

FFX2's battle system is kinda fun. Of course I've only gotten to the first save point, but I imagine it gets even better.

Active is way too busy for my tastes though, so I'm sticking with Wait for now.

CorvoSol

BRAVELY DEFAULT. WHERE THE BITCHY, FORCEFUL FAIRY FLIES

jO8tqfo.jpg

GOD. FUCKING. DAMN. YOU. BITCH.

Do you know how much I want to just throttle Onions right now? This entire Bloodrose arc has been a really, really solid arc of the game-- for Edea. Edea's had to face the cold, hard facts of what her father and her people have been doing to Christians Crystalists the world over, and having to kill her friends one after another because their orders were to kill her has truly been a great amount of real, solid development for Edea. She's proven herself willing and capable of sacrificing everything, EVERY SINGLE THING, including the people she loved, for what she knows is right. Which happens to coincide with Onions' quest quite nicely, by the way! Edea has broken faith with father and country and killed friends and comrades for the sake of the greater good, and she's defended Onions' honor when Ringabell would soon sully it. She's also been there for Ringabell, and in general has proven herself the emotional center of the group, the heart of it, the one who quite probably cares most about the entire party.

Now let's look at how Onions has behaved during this arc, shall we?

1. Rather than doing her duty and putting the world's well-being ahead of her own personal desires, Onions has wasted time, energy, pg, and resources to drag us all the fucking way back to Yulyana and back while fretting over how she would look on stage. Onions did this, and took a very public position by the way, revealing herself to the eyes of the Eternians and their Legion (WHICH WAS EVERYWHERE IN THE CITY), for the sake of finding her friend under the pretense of getting said friend to do the ceremony out of some misguided sense of respect.
2. While I accept that Olivia is certainly Onions' dearest friend, it's a bit of a bitch slap to refer to her as "my only friend" when you know, the party has been doing their damndest FOR YOUR FUCKING SAKE, BITCH.
3. When Tiz's parents and village and world were all destroyed in the blink of an eye, you know what he did? He thought about Onions and how he could help HER. He went out of his way to care for others and accepted responsibilities that would've been daunting even when his entire world had not been broken into a thousand tiny pieces. When Onions loss Olivia she goes fucking Catatonic and it takes the Fairy pushing her CONSTANTLY to get her to do, you know, WHAT SHE SHOULD HAVE DONE FROM THE GET GO. As an aside, I do NOT trust Airy anymore. "ONIONS YO FRIEND JUST DIED TWO SECONDS AGO GUESS YOU BEST STEP THE FUCK UP TO THE PLATE BITCH."

But the real kicker, what really seals the entire bitchy, spoiled, childish anointing of utter awful on Onions' head is that, while I did in fact feel sad for her (in spite of my overwhelming sense of frustration at the fact that this meant every last thing we had done in this chapter as relates to Onions and Olivia had been a COMPLETE waste), was that even though ALL of this had been Onions' fault for calling attention to herself and then leading the Eternians to Olivia, who does this fucking whore of a bitch blame?

EDEA.

THIS MOTHERFUCKING CRYING PIECE OF SHIT BLAMES EDEA. EDEA. The girl who has killed her FRIENDS for her. The girl who has betrayed her father, FOR HER. The girl who has done nothing but slave for her and bend to her shadow and gone above and beyond the need to prove her loyalty, and Onions is like "YOU BITCH YOU LEAD THEM TO OLIVIA HOW THE FUCK COULD YOU YOU WHOOOOOAAAAAAAARE.

Meanwhile, Tiz is a COLOSSAL simp. Like, considering Ringabell is the one whose gimmick is to try to fuck bitches and get paid, it's positively astounding to watch as Tiz bends his ass backward to try to get Onions to love him. "I'M SUCH A NICE GUY WHY WON'T SHE GIVE ME THOSE LUSCIOUS HIIIIIPS." and "Oh Onions, we're worried about you! That's all!"

You know what clinches that? When Onions bitches out on Edea, HE DON'T SAY SHIT IN HER DEFENSE.

In short, fuck Tiz and Onions, Balthier Jr. and Edea Jr. are where it is in this game.

aravuus

Oh Corvo, I'm gonna love seeing your reactions when you finally get around to playing Lightning Returns.

Good stuff.

It's stupid, sure, but I didn't find it nearly as frustrating as the bullshit Bravely Default pulls, particularly the stuff corvo's referring to.

Never finished LR though so maybe it had some worse stuff later in the game.

Beef pls. I expect you to go so fast that you're faster than the game loading the rest of the environment in.

Don't be a scrub, Beefy-chan. It is unbecoming of a Digimon.

I'm not used to non-action RPGs going that fast! The game barely gave me a chance to use the dress sphere before what's-her-name was like "TIME TO DIE"

Falk

that puzzling face
FFX2's battle system is kinda fun. Of course I've only gotten to the first save point, but I imagine it gets even better.

Active is way too busy for my tastes though, so I'm sticking with Wait for now.

what's it like to be old

edit: I just got a phone call informing me I'm not allowed to say that because I'm balding.

CorvoSol

The biggest offense of Chapter 2, as far as I can tell, is that everything in the main plot was so unnecessary it should've been optional, whereas everything in the sidequests felt strong and should've been what was mandatory.

YOU'RE STILL AT CHAPTER THREE AND YOU'RE ALREADY COMPLAINING ABOUT AGNES

to be fair, she gets frustrating the moment you meet her

It's stupid, sure, but I didn't find it nearly as frustrating as the bullshit Bravely Default pulls, particularly the stuff corvo's referring to.

Never finished LR though so maybe it had some worse stuff later in the game.

Definitely. I still like the BD,but once I beat it, I decided to take a break. But, my input might fall short since i'm Blinded by Light. haha

And beat LR, if nothing else you'll get to fight a great Final Boss.

The biggest offense of Chapter 2, as far as I can tell, is that everything in the main plot was so unnecessary it should've been optional, whereas everything in the sidequests felt strong and should've been what was mandatory.

the side quests are basically main quests disguised as side quests, if that make sense.

CorvoSol

I have to wonder, really, if the point of Agnes' character isn't to piss me off. Like, maybe she's meant to deconstruct the whole pure waifu maiden archetype Rosa built? Instead of being sickeningly kind and selfless to the point of not having a self, and caring more for the good of others than herself, she's obviously very selfish, always considering first herself and her quest and her wants and placing those above the good intentions of others, and the good reason she ought to possess. Rather than being the emotional buoy that the hero needs (at least in the DS version that's what Rosa's role sort of is meant to be early on, before Cecil gets his shit together), she's painfully pessimistic and Tiz spends all the time he isn't spending trying to convince her to fuck him trying to convince her not to murder herself. Instead of being nonjudgmental and all-accepting, her sheltered upbringing has made her picky as fuck, and every last thing is "UNACCEPTABLE!!!"

So maybe the entire point of Onions is to BE a spoiled, self-centered, sheltered brat, and her role and appearance are just meant to increase that disparity between the likes of her and say, Yuna or Garnet or Aerith.

CorvoSol

I just think it's funny you're already thinking she's a moron when I think she has a worse moment far later in the game.

I had to march across a fucking continent only for her to decide she wasn't going to wear a bikini that was barely even revealing, march back so she could draw the attention of the most powerful military force, and when it's all over she
somehow thinks the girl who has done EVERYTHING for her is a spy.

FUCK this girl.

The entire plot of BD is pure garbage. Anything enjoyable is stomped on by the rest of the game's shit-ness.

and yea she's even more of an idiot later. Thinking about it makes me angry right now,

I kinda want to play BD now just to see what you guys are talking about but this game sounds maddening and a bad story really ruins a RPG for me. If a RPG has a bad story, forget about it...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I kinda want to play BD now just to see what you guys are talking about but this game sounds maddening and a bad story really ruins a RPG for me. If a RPG has a bad story, forget about it...
I don't think it's as bad a story as the others do. I think it's very well-designed until a certain point when one particular thing can get in the way of a lot of the good it tries to do. Depending on your disposition, it'll make or break the game for you.

I'm saying that, and you like to tease that I hate video games. :p

Jucksalbe

Banned
What'd you think of it? I thought it was one of the most revolutionary games of its time, and ends up being one of my favourites.

It definitely is, I had to remind myself that this came out around the time of Final Fantasy 2. And I really love the setting, you hardly ever find something like it, even today, which is a shame. I was very surprised by that ending, didn't see that coming, I wonder if the next two game really follow up on that.

I've been slowly catching up on Sega games the last few years. The first and only Sega console I owned when it was new was the Dreamcast (and even then I still haven't played Shenmue 2), so there's still a lot for me to play. I first played Phantasy Star 1 two or three years ago, I was even more impressed with that game and I have to say I liked it a bit more than PS2. Maybe in five years I will finally have finished Phantasy Star 4, which I think gets the most praise in the series?

Anyway, what I didn't like about PS2, and it's quite a bit to be honest, are first and foremost the dungeons. They seem to have tried to make 2D dungeons that feel like the 3D dungeons of the first game in the way that you're constantly feeling lost. But in the end you get a lot of empty spaces and everything looks kinda the same. I had to look up the maps for some of the dungeons.

And the combination of awful menus (why, why, does it have to close the whole slow menu everytime I use a spell?) and the even worse English translation makes a good part of the game cryptic. There's no description for anything (not that I expected that for an old game like that), but also that strange abbreviations for spell names make no sense at all and I could hardly ever tell what a spell might be good for by its name. Same with the equipment. I used FAQs to understand both. Maybe this is explained thoroughly in the manual, but I played it on the Sega Ages Complete Collection, so a Japanese manual isn't helping me much.

Which leads me to my last gripe: the combat. It's great that it works so fast when you only want to attack, only one button press and everyone to defaults to Attack (or almost anyone). But setting something different than Attack takes way too long and in the end it discourages you from using your spells or items that way. Well, if you knew what they did in the first place. I really only ever started using them when I was killed over and over at the second to last boss (
fuck that guy
), which doesn't seem to be the intention since I grinded from time to time even though I set the game to "Easy" (which means more Exp. and Meseta).

Still, this all sounds way too harsh again, I really liked it despite all the flaws, it's very ambitious, the story and setting are great, even though I feel some of it is lost in translation, and it's a lot of fun to play. I just liked the first game more.

Oh, one last thing: Hiding the Visiphone was an act of pure evil!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Honestly Corvo's depiction of BD makes it that much more enjoyable. Xenosaga's Shion Uzuki is still a total stupid ass bitch though. Hard to gauge who is worse. Agnes or Shion.

I don't like Shion.

Top Bottom