• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Holykael1

Banned
This begs the question. Is an unlikable character necessarily a terrible thing?
I don't know about BD so I won't talk about it.. But im sure Shion from Xenosaga was deliberately portrayed that way. When a character is unlikable, if that character has understandable reasons to behave the way they do, Im ok with it, atleast that's what I want in return for having to put up with her bullshit. Also I think it was a pretty ballsy move to make Shion the main character, she is a very flawed person and that can turn off a lot of people to her character and consequently the games in general.

A lot of people are unlikable IRL, That's sadly just a reality of life.

I don't think it's as bad a story as the others do. I think it's very well-designed until a certain point when one particular thing can get in the way of a lot of the good it tries to do. Depending on your disposition, it'll make or break the game for you.

I'm saying that, and you like to tease that I hate video games. :p

Sad to say, I can be more harsh on games then I let on!

And I still may play BD down the line but the demo did nothing for me. I may buy it and just keep it until I get the urge to play.

aravuus

And beat LR, if nothing else you'll get to fight a great Final Boss.

Oh yeah, I will, it seemed like a fairly enjoyable game. Just happened to start my first playthrough at a bad time, should have a lot more free time in summer so I'll be destroying my backlog.

As soon as I finish Dark Souls II again, that is................

Honestly Corvo's depiction of BD makes it that much more enjoyable. Xenosaga's Shion Uzuki is still a total stupid ass bitch though. Hard to gauge who is worse. Agnes or Shion.

I don't like Shion.

They're both incredibly shitty characters, but unlike Agnes, Shion is the sole reason all this
horrible shit happens in Xenosaga's story
, isn't she? And I hate her voice acting. And she's ugly.

So I have to say, Shion is worse.

Korigama

Honestly Corvo's depiction of BD makes it that much more enjoyable. Xenosaga's Shion Uzuki is still a total stupid ass bitch though. Hard to gauge who is worse. Agnes or Shion.

I don't like Shion.
Good lord...and this whole time, I'd been looking forward to picking up Bravely Default. I was already thinking to myself, "this is sounding an awful lot like Shion", when reading those earlier impressions, and now I'm seeing that suspicion confirmed. Shion is, bar none, the worst, most unlikable, least sympathetic, absolutely detestable lead I've ever had the displeasure of being introduced to in any JRPG that I've played for myself, and had a lot to do with why I hated Xenosaga (though by no means the only reason why). The idea of another "heroine" even coming close to rivaling how irredeemably abysmal she was is just...mortifying.

There goes my morale.

It's stupid, sure, but I didn't find it nearly as frustrating as the bullshit Bravely Default pulls, particularly the stuff corvo's referring to.

Never finished LR though so maybe it had some worse stuff later in the game.

I dunno, I'm probably bias since I actually liked Lightning in XIII and LR was a goddamn character assassination. That, and it was so hilariously poorly written. *Was not happy how the story turned out*

SougoXIII

This begs the question. Is an unlikable character necessarily a terrible thing?
I don't know about BD so I won't talk about it.. But im sure Shion from Xenosaga was deliberately portrayed that way. When a character is unlikable, if that character has understandable reasons to behave the way they do, Im ok with it, atleast that's what I want in return for having to put up with her bullshit. Also I think it was a pretty ballsy move to make Shion the main character, she is a very flawed person and that can turn off a lot of people to her character and consequently the games in general.

A lot of people are unlikable IRL, That's sadly just a reality of life.

The problem with unlikable character is that it is VERY easy to write a character that pisses the player off without putting any work into them. 'She's evil or being a bitch because those exists IRL' is exactly what sort of excuse people will use to justify poorly develop characters for the sake of melodrama. It's a sign that the writer is insulting my intelligent, that I wouldn't notice such lazy writing or find it acceptable.

If the writer actual put work in portraying those flaws and give a clear reason why he/she is acting that way then that's fine. My favourite character is Squall - who is very unlikable to a lot of people - but I can see his thought process, how he's a completely different character than what he shown to others. The game gives a good reason why he ended up that way so I can certainly understand how he act the way he does. This is on a completely different level when compare to Agnes.

Levyne

Banned
I feel like I'm unqualified to talk about it because I don't know what I like, but generally if a character is unlikable because they are greedy or arrogant or narcissistic or overconfident, sometimes I can still enjoy them. Especially if it's used to explore concepts of morality or consequence or something like that. If they are dense or ignorant or stubborn then I find myself more likely to roll my eyes. Sometimes the line dividing the two is pretty hazy, I guess it boils down to exposure (is the character a protagonist across a long series or a one-off?) and perhaps the character's motivation and, as mentioned, how they react to consequence.

And that's not even touching the awkward probability of "well, you're supposed to not like him!" Because that could either mean "you're not supposed to agree with his methods or find him relatable" or "you're supposed to find him to be insufferable and wish he was cast differently and want to skip cutscenes because of him."

CorvoSol

I feel like I'm unqualified to talk about it because I don't know what I like, but generally if a character is unlikable because they are greedy or arrogant or narcissistic or overconfident, sometimes I can still enjoy them. Especially if it's used to explore concepts of morality or consequence or something like that. If they are dense or ignorant or stubborn then I find myself more likely to roll my eyes. Sometimes the line dividing the two is pretty hazy, I guess it boils down to exposure (is the character a protagonist across a long series or a one-off?) and perhaps the character's motivation and, as mentioned, how they react to consequence.

And that's not even touching the awkward probability of "well, you're supposed to not like him!" Because that could either mean "you're not supposed to agree with his methods or find him relatable" or "you're supposed to find him to be insufferable and wish he was cast differently and want to skip cutscenes because of him."

All I can say is that I think a clear example of "you're not supposed to like him" is Argath from FFT. The guy is douchelord supreme, and you shouldn't like anything about him.

Bravely Default

So I read them silly writings in D's Journal again and it's preeeetty hard not to know who it belongs to and from there make a guess as to who Ringabell is.

The journal is Alternis'. D for Dim or Dark Knight. In it he doesn't ever refer to Ringabell, so I assume the two are one and the same, and that time travel is definitely involved. Probably Alternis is the previous Ringabell who goes back in time and contracts amnesia in order to make up for his mistake and spend time with Edea. I guess.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
All I can say is that I think a clear example of "you're not supposed to like him" is Argath from FFT. The guy is douchelord supreme, and you shouldn't like anything about him.

Bravely Default

So I read them silly writings in D's Journal again and it's preeeetty hard not to know who it belongs to and from there make a guess as to who Ringabell is.

The journal is Alternis'. D for Dim or Dark Knight. In it he doesn't ever refer to Ringabell, so I assume the two are one and the same, and that time travel is definitely involved. Probably Alternis is the previous Ringabell who goes back in time and contracts amnesia in order to make up for his mistake and spend time with Edea. I guess.

Well you can guess what I used the rename feature for.

SougoXIII

Bravely Default

Corvo,
you wish it was time travel, the truth is much more retarded.

Holykael1

Banned
Well yeah that's the approach I was taking, reasons and motivations must be solid.
I like Squall as a character a lot but I actually don't dislike him either.
Shion I dislike but I still appreciate her character because I think she is well written.

aravuus

I dunno, I'm probably bias since I actually liked Lightning in XIII and LR was a goddamn character assassination. That, and it was so hilariously poorly written. *Was not happy how the story turned out*

Damn, even though I never liked Lightning, I feel your pain. They really fucked her over in LR.

Corvo,
you wish it was time travel, the truth is much more retarded.

I wished for
time traveling so hard, I fucking LOVE time traveling stories

For a second I was excited about alternate dimensions too though when it turned out there was no time travel, but it soon became apparent it's just there to stretch the game. They did literally nothing interesting with the concept.

CorvoSol

I haven't hit LR yet but that's how I feel about her in XIII-2. I actually even liked her in Dissidia, since she did shit I wanted to do like
call out Cosmos for her bullshit.
Lightning being a wasted character is kind of just the poster for how all of XIII is wasted potential.

Heropon

Edge's chapter approach of having several ministories with characters of the same class but with different stats was pretty interesting. The only bad thing about that is that these ninjas seem like those characters that you never used in Chrono Cross and were only there for collection purposes.

Another thing I liked was how repeating elements from FFIV was not only limited to "All these misfortunes are happening again and in the same way for some strange reason!" and Edge used his knowledge of the Tower of Babil's layout in his favor.

Inside the challenge dungeon I could realize how squishy these ninjas were. That place also had the thinnest margin between THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE and EASIEST DUNGEON EVER.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I platinumed LR. I don't want to play that game again. I felt so bored. It legitimately did almost everything I dislike about RPGs in general.

I don't even know where I put it and I kinda want to keep it that way.

Jucksalbe, I'll respond to your post later. That's good stuff. I tried to write about how PS2 was revolutionary for its time in the PS anniversary thread a few years ago, and a lot of people stressed to get the PS Collection version of it. I'd agree with that. It makes the game less... iffy... to navigate. Though the dungeon design is still going to be lacking.

CorvoSol

Edge's chapter approach of having several ministories with characters of the same class but with different stats was pretty interesting. The only bad thing about that is that these ninjas seem like those characters that you never used in Chrono Cross and were only there for collection purposes.

Another thing I liked was how repeating elements from FFIV was not only limited to "All these misfortunes are happening again and in the same way for some strange reason!" and Edge used his knowledge of the Tower of Babil's layout in his favor.

Inside the challenge dungeon I could realize how squishy these ninjas were. That place also had the thinnest margin between THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE and EASIEST DUNGEON EVER.

The Eblan Four are DEFINITELY among the group of "for collection purposes only." Of the new characters, the ones I found most useful were Ceodore, Ursula, Leonora and Luca. Calca, Brina, Gekkou, Tsukinowa, Izayoi, Zangetsu, and Harley are kinda meh. Edge is Edge, and Palom and Porom are pretty solid (Dualcast actually makes it so that Palom or Porom is the best regular mage in the game, I think.)

Final party was Cecil, Kain, Rydia, Man in Black and Rosa. Rosa isn't as good as Porom, but since you need her, Kain, and Ceodore in order to achieve a specific thing in the very final dungeon, she had the levels on Porom.

22 characters and a 30 floor final dungeon. If they'd made it a 4-party dungeon they could've had the most amazing endgame.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
For the record, I didn't think BD's story is that bad. I think the game's design in terms of battling and jobs and the social/community aspect of it is very good and the social aspect of it pays off readily in the end. The game's battle system and job system are really fun, and exchanging FCs and stuff with some of the EU / JP players was really cool.

However, the game's biggest problem is not its story which, I do have to admit, Corvo might be exaggerating about a tad because I didn't think Agnes is as bad as Shion. Agnes is just really stupid, raised sheltered so she's never really gone out much which attributes to her stupidity, and somewhat shortsighted. Yeah, she's unlikeable, but I do think Corvo's exaggerating. With that said, that's his opinion and I know if he hates something, he goes all-in, haha. (You're still my bro, Corvo.) Agnes is stupid, and yeah, her hate is somewhat deserved, but at the same time, it's not a defining part of the game, and I don't think it's the worst part of it at all.

The game's biggest problem is that it's repetitive towards the end and it's amazing how much that brings the entire package down for the player. And all of that shit was mandatory in the original version vs being optional now.

CorvoSol

Until Agnes decided to be a queen bitch in this chapter, I had no problem. I mean, at times there is a glimmer of a good character to her, but SERIOUSLY, her bitchy attitude to Edea in that scene was over the top. Even considering that she is probably not in her right state of mind at the moment, it was cut throat.

The game and the plot are both pretty solid.

Heropon

The Eblan Four are DEFINITELY among the group of "for collection purposes only." Of the new characters, the ones I found most useful were Ceodore, Ursula, Leonora and Luca. Calca, Brina, Gekkou, Tsukinowa, Izayoi, Zangetsu, and Harley are kinda meh. Edge is Edge, and Palom and Porom are pretty solid (Dualcast actually makes it so that Palom or Porom is the best regular mage in the game, I think.)

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. With 5 slots I think specialization is favored over this type of characters that are really interesting in their solo dungeons but don't offer anything interesting when accompanied.

Who I don't see using later is Leonora. I suppose the real white mages like Porom and Rosa are better in that department and her black magic is garbage.

The game's biggest problem is that it's repetitive towards the end and it's amazing how much that brings the entire package down for the player. And all of that shit was mandatory in the original version vs being optional now.

Exactly, thanks to that my general impression of BD went way down. If the game had been just four chapters long it would have been a pretty good game although somewhat flawed, but with the second half added it's a game I don't really want to replay because I'm not enduring that again. That's one of the reasons why I'm excited for the sequel, because I suppose they won't be able to screw up twice in that department. Also if they make the job level stat affect less things, it will be perfect.

CorvoSol

Truth be told Leonora and Ceodore aren't really all that useful, either, but because the game MAKES you take Ceodore so often, and because I sperged the fuck out and spent forever grinding for cash in Palom's chapter so that both he and Leonora were at their caps in that chapter I got more use out of Ceodore and Leonora than either really deserved.

I also didn't do the Babil-fight, though, which pits 15 PCs up against the boss.

To illustrate just who I think is shit, though, I imagine the characters I would not take to that fight would be Calca, Brina, Izayoi, Gekkou, Zangetsu, Tsukinowa and Harley.

The Eblan Four are weird because they're mixed Ninja classes. Izayoi can heal better than the other three, but since White Magic is handed out like candy in this game, and Edward's Salve is actually useful, it means jack. Tsukinowa can do black magic of some sort as I recall, but with Man in Black, Rydia, and Palom around, nevermind Leonora, Tsukinowa's kinda crap. Zangetsu is a Dragoon, but I mean, you have Kain. The only one of them who is useful is Gekkou, since he's sort of a warrior/ninja but you're not lacking for physical damage dealers between Cecil, Man in Black, Kain, Yang etc. Calca and Brina are both dancers. I think Calca (the boy one) does Blue Magic with his dances, which is cool, but completely worthless. Brina (the girl) does white magic, though, which isn't particularly useful after Rydia's Tale because it's random and therefore unreliable.

Harley is completely useless. Her skills are like, scan (mind you that Cid can do that and that later in the game you don't have time in fights to be doing fucking SCAN.) and Gil Toss in a game where your gil is best conserved for spending on as many X-Potions as money can buy.

Noi

I dunno, I think its pretty bad when a story can completely demotivate me from playing it anymore. I was excited and interested even with Agnes being completely intolerable up until the end of chapter 4, then chapter 5 started and I can't summon the will to pick up the game and keep playing anymore. You'd have an easier time convincing me to pick up Lightning Returns or re-play Dirge of Cerberus than continuing to play BD. I really don't care about the game anymore.

CorvoSol

So far the only complaints I have with BD's story are:

1. Agnes is a huge bitch. Can't tell if that's intentional or not. It seems certain they want to portray her as sheltered and even foolish at times, but its hard to say if all of her character is really as they had planned it. It isn't as blatant as Dissidia, though, where Cosmos was the bitchiest, most vicious, two-faced, conniving piece of shit ever and the game behaved as if she was Jesus Christ in a night-gown the entire time, so I'm trying to give the staff the benefit of the doubt on this one.

2. So often things reek of old school JRPG detourism. Like, while I joke about Agnes forcing everyone back to Yulyanna for no reason, that took no real time to do, but the Water Vestal arc is guilty of this. "Here is the Crystal it's ready let's do this and go" but no, we have to find the Water Vestal to do this even though we don't need her and we didn't need her in the end, either.

I should say, though, that while these ARE complaints I have with the game, neither of them is actually very significant. Although my complaints can exaggerate, often for the sake of comedy, I'm actually not very hard to please. While I deride many things that TAY does, for instance, I still felt it was perfectly fun. While I will willingly spit venom all over XIII and XIII-2, I actually really liked parts of both of those games and have played the former once. So when I inevitably return in another fit of rage over how horrible Onions has been to Edea in the next while, bear that in mind, please.

Heropon

I wonder how the RNG in The After Years works. I don't know if the encounter rate in a dungeon is decided when you enter it or the RNG just gets stuck, but when the game decides there are fights every four steps it's horrible. I remember when I bred lots of pokémon with the same stats so I have experience with evil RNGs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno, I think its pretty bad when a story can completely demotivate me from playing it anymore. I was excited and interested even with Agnes being completely intolerable up until the end of chapter 4, then chapter 5 started and I can't summon the will to pick up the game and keep playing anymore. You'd have an easier time convincing me to pick up Lightning Returns or re-play Dirge of Cerberus than continuing to play BD. I really don't care about the game anymore.
That isn't necessarily the story, but rather, the game structure. BD's game structure is fairly poor. The problem is that this flies fairly well in the writer's other game, Steins;Gate, because that game was a visual novel as opposed to an RPG. You only get scenes with that kind of stuff as opposed to being told to play through it. Thus it's less taxing on the player. With what BD does, it can genuinely unmotivate a player because not only are you retreading, but you also have to deal with other aspects of an RPG like replenishing supplies, unlocking areas, fighting enemies who got stat boosts or evolutions, etc. Thus it's more involved than a visual novel. Lots of fat that desperately needed trimming.

Anyway, this guy is literally the only person who I know who says "dirge wasn't that bad tho". Noi, pls. I'd rather watch you stream that shitty DBZ game again than hear ya preach about Dirge of Cerberus.

Messiah

I haven't hit LR yet but that's how I feel about her in XIII-2. I actually even liked her in Dissidia, since she did shit I wanted to do like
call out Cosmos for her bullshit.
Lightning being a wasted character is kind of just the poster for how all of XIII is wasted potential.

This so much. Lightning was one of the more likeable characters in Dissidia in my opinion. It's such a shame how XIII's characters were ruined by it's bad writing, because I really like their Designs.

Noi

DBZ Sagas

gets worse and worse every time I play time. I mean, I already knew it wasn't a good game, but enough time goes by that I always forget exactly how bad it is until I play it again.

"Dirge of Cerberus is a bad game, but I found it alright to play and even had some fun with it!"

is more accurate to what Ive said before, you dirty word-twister.

SougoXIII

I'm in Noi's position in regarding to BD, I just lost any motivation when I found out the nature of Chapter 5-7. I was already sick of the game's jarring juxtaposition between the world overbearingly depressing tone and the party's happy fun times adventure. One moment it's the party encountering a horrendous monstrosity, another it's 'UNACCEPTABLE' without any reflecting or drastic development occurring from the cast. It's like the writer want to have his cake and eat it too. BD was the biggest reason that I brought the 3ds for and I'm already regret my decision.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What were your first encounters with Final Fantasy like?

My cousins had a NES with Final Fantasy, but I only watched them play it, and I was more entranced with STGs and platformers back then. I mean, after all, the first game they made me play was Battletoads, and the first game I actually loved and ended up making me like games was Mega Man 2. I actually watched them play FF7 first, too... but that was before my cousin ended up breaking the PS1 because he didn't know how to beat the train section with Cid and the levers. I ended up getting FF7 on PC in 1998 anyway.

I didn't even touch a Final Fantasy until I was maybe 5 or 6? Can't remember. My brother is in and out of hospitals a lot, so when we were kids, I had to hang around hospitals a lot in the summers before they decided to let one of my cousins babysit me. They'd usually have an NES or SNES set up in the children's wards with a few games, and one of them happened to be FF1. I used to play multiplayer with a few of the kids if they were around my age and if I wasn't reading something or doing the homework my parents assigned to me. If I was alone, I got to try out FF1. I didn't know how to save the game the first few times, so I always played the game from the beginning to see how far I'd get (not far at all!). I didn't get my own copy until Christmas. It was moreso that I was curious about how I'd handle it when I'm playing it myself as opposed to watching someone else play it. It was an okay experience. I just always wished it had more colour like Phantasy Star and Dragon Warrior did.

is more accurate to what Ive said before, you dirty word-twister.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I stopped playing bad games for a while. I feel better now. :V

Bad games stop being fun to play just to see how bad it'll get after a while.

I'm kind of tempted to spoil myself on the "big" twist that ruins the game.

I can't be that bad, right?
I don't really think so. It's more the journey that's getting flak.

Messiah

I am one of the younger guys here I think, so my first contact with Final Fantasy was the seventh game. I saw it in a gaming magazine and was really intrigued by the look of the game and the general praise it got, but sadly I never got around to play the game back then.

Later a classmate of mine told me about this game he was playing "Final Fantasy VIII" and how it is pretty rad. After he finished the game he borrowed it to me, so that game was my first hands-on contact with the series. I did not really understand the games systems back then and stopped playing like 10 hours into the game.

Final Fantasy IX went completely over my head, I think I played 1 or 2 hours of it at a friend's place.

One day my mom came home from work and had a gift for me - "Final Fantasy X". At that time I was already more of an PC-Gamer, so I wasn't even aware that there was a new Final Fantasy. I was immediately intrigued by the Graphics of the game and after playing for 5 hours I was really hooked, the story, and the world was really intrigueing to me. After finishing FFX i decided I need to try it's predecessors and found that I really enjoyed them.

Strangely enough I was completely put off by the first previews of Final Fantasy XII and did not play it once until today. Now I am waiting for the HD version :\

I only recently bought a PS3 and so I decided I'll give XIII and its sequels a shot. Knowing what I would get into I really enjoyed XIII for what it is and not for what it could be.

Edit: Maybe worth adding: I was always intrigued by RPGs with turnbased battles since I saw one on my cousin's SNES.

Noi

Like probably a billion other people out there, mine was Final Fantasy VII. At the time, I couldn't even tell you what an RPG was since I was raised through the SNES on platformers/racing games and pokemon was just pokemon to little ol' me (I didn't play FF7 until a year or so after Pokemon was out). It was handed to me as a cousin as a game that he couldn't figure out how to play (to be fair, knowing English wasn't a huge priority in PR at the time, so that was probably why). I'd played Super Mario RPG previously, but I kinda categorized that as a weird mario game rather than a different genre entirely.

Instantly hooked is probably apt for my reaction to playing it. It was the first game I'd played that was serious in tone but still lighthearted at times, with a long overarching story, character dynamics, etc etc. It was the gateway for me to start playing other genres in general, which is why I'll always look back fondly on it even I'm more critical of it now than I was back then. It's probably my third most replayed game of all time.

On a similar note, I remember when I first picked up Final Fantasy Chronicles right when it came out. I was immeditately drawn to Chrono Trigger (which I'd never even heard of before at the time) due to its more detailed spritework and colors, not even giving FF4 a lookover. One day however, I started up FF4 out of curiosity/boredom and then proceeded to ignore my CT playthrough until I beat FF4 a few days later. I was sooooo more hooked on that at the time. :lol

(The PS1 versions of FF4 and CT being my first experience with those games probably explains why I'm generally tolerant towards semi-iffy load times and the like. The fact that I still ended up loving both games says enough about their quality shining through the awful ports.)

FF7 was the first FF I knew about, but FF8 was the first one I played. FF9 was the one that made me feel like a kid again, though.

It took me years to appreciate FF7, though. Nobody would shut up about it, so I didn't bother giving it a chance until much, much later. And even then, it took Crisis Core to turn me around on it.

Levyne

Banned
I am one of the younger guys here I think, so my first contact with Final Fantasy was the seventh game.

This always makes me feel weird, having started with the tenth. I don't think that I find myself significantly younger or older than most FF fans, though. I'm 25 at the end of the month.

Anyways, yeah FFX was my first. I accidentally ran into it with a demo disk.

Mine was VII on the PC...around 2000. I remember being really and totally unimpressed with it but my friend also showed me VI and V and I was totally hooked after that.

aravuus

Played FF IX as an 8-year old kid who could barely write and read in Finnish, let alone English, so not very good lol

I can't help when I was born! I actually played Kingdom Hearts before any Final Fantasy, so that kinda sparked my interest.

Kind of same here. Played KH when I was around 13 and I loved it, so I decided to give the FF games a try too. Loved them all.

And since then, JRPGs have been my favorite genre.

Top Bottom