• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

PK Gaming

I watched my friend play FF6 on the SNES whenever I'd go over to his house. I thought Locke was the coolest character ever as a kid. I first got my hands on FF7 though; literally everyone in my grade 4 class played it (along with Dark Cloud) so I bought it to fit in.

Psxphile

What were your first encounters with Final Fantasy like?

I saw a preview article in Nintendo Power for a new game they were calling "Final Fantasy" for the NES. I thought, "Hey, kinda looks like Dragon Warrior." I was very impressed with the side-view battle screen, where you can actually see spell animations and attacks play out. Awesome. So cool. I picked it up on a rental as soon as I was aware the game was out. Nintendo Power recommened Fighter/BlackBelt/WhiteMage/BlackMage so that's what I rocked. I think I got as far as Marsh Cave before I had to take the game back... forever grinding on Ogres and Crawlies in order to buy those early game-breaking equips in Elfheim.

Imagine my horror renting the game again a week later only to find that some fucker saved over my all my hard work with a Thief named AAAA.

CorvoSol

The grinding in Elfland for the best stuff prior to Marsh Cave is one of those things, like the dangerous trip to Mysidia, that makes the game much easier in the long run but at the moment feels painful as fuck.

I confess that I do miss insane tricks like the latter, though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
VI was kinda my first, but I only played till Narshe and my brother just grabbed it away from me.

So my first official FF was VII, and my first completed FF was IX.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think a lot of you folks are young because Corvo and I are the same age, and Noi and Levyne are a year younger than I am. It just so happens that I was one of the babies of the family and I ended up playing what my older cousins (currently in their 30s-40s) played.

That's why I think the whole, "all these people saying FF7/FF10, I wanna know how old they are" business is kinda dumb. A lot of people started with those two games regardless of age.

Imagine my horror renting the game again a week later only to find that some fucker saved over my all my hard work with a Thief named AAAA.
I used to rent games all the time, and once I rented FF2 SNES, got all the way to the underground, returned it for Sonic 2 and Ristar, decided to get FF2 SNES back after 3 weeks, and some butthole surfer saved over my file. :mad:

Sooooo mad. I had to finish the game at that point.

AniHawk

my first isometric-view game thing was link's awakening. i was 8 or 9 when i played it, and i associated that style with 'rpgs' for a pretty long time. my first actual rpg was pokemon. i got it for my 13th birthday before pokemon was really a thing, and i was insanely addicted to it. but i still didn't know what the genre was until a couple years later when i bought a super nintendo.

i had played chrono trigger and earthbound prior to requesting final fantasy 3 (vi) as a christmas gift, and i had also played super mario rpg in 2000, so by then i was pretty familiar with the genre, and looking for the best it had to offer. my parents had to go around to various funcolands/gamestops before they found a used copy. i also remember they got sweet-talked into a magazine subscription, and i think that's how i wound up getting game informer for the first time. i can only imagine them cluelessly walking into these busy stores during the holiday season and reading the handwritten list i'd given them. it must have been a huge pain in the ass. i also know it was very expensive- around the price of a new game, so $60, i believe. maybe less. regardless, i was very thankful for them that they went through the trouble and actually found it. i know that it couldn't have been easy, and they were pretty proud that they were able to locate it at all.

the game itself really impressed me. i was so engrossed in the story and the visuals and just how long everything took. it's been over 13 years since i've played it, and it's become one of those memories i don't want to tarnish with a replay, so i've since kept my game boy advance copy of the game sealed.

in 2002, my sister and i were watching an episode of extended play where they reviewed final fantasy x. it resulted in the very impulsive decision to purchase a ps2 right then and there. she had just had her birthday and i had stored up some money or had some left over from christmas, so we split the cost. at that time neither of us had a dvd player, and we never had a psone either, so it was a really great value even at $300. we bought final fantasy x, and final fantasy vii. i played them in that order. ffx became one of my favorite games of my rpg-playing days. i recall even staying home 'sick' just to finish playing it.

as for final fantasy vii, i never really liked it, or grew to like it. i still don't like it. there's not much for me to say about it, but i am glad i at least gave it a chance and played it the whole way through.

later that year i got my driver's license and was able to make frequent stops at game stores. earlier, i had bought final fantasy tactics and tried my damnedest to beat that thing, but never could. but i did go on a buying frenzy of psone rpgs including vagrant story, lunar, and chrono cross- not that i ever played many of them. final fantasy viii was the first game i ever purchased having driven to a game store myself though. it was a celebratory thing, and i think i paid $15 for a really cruddy cracked case containing the game, but i didn't care. and i wound up enjoying it a lot more than i thought i would. maybe it was the expectation that it would be so bad when ffvii was supposed to be so good, but i liked it quite a bit.

during the summer, i painted the fence in my grandma's backyard. she was always paying her youngest grandkids even though we never asked for money. it was something she did out of gratitude, even until my mid-20s, just a year before she died, despite my parents telling her not to give us cash anymore and for us not to accept it. not that i ever did chores to get paid- i loved her and had good memories of growing up in that house, and i wanted to keep it looking nice. but it was really hard to refuse when she was literally putting a twenty dollar bill in my hand and telling me to take it because 'it's only green.' anyway, i filled up the car at $2 a gallon and then went to circuit city and bought a brand new copy of final fantasy ix the day i was paid for painting the fence. and that's a very old-fashioned sentence.

final fantasy ix was really great. i felt it captured the lighthearted spirit of something like chrono trigger instead of harkening back to final fantasy vi, but it definitely was the most fun i had with a playstation final fantasy at that point.

i remember when final fantasy xi came out, and it was an online game. i mean, online games were a thing, but numbering the online game as though it was a proper entry in the series was really going to mess up the nice collection of final fantasy games i had going on. i had also made sure to purchase final fantasy origins, final fantasy anthology, and final fantasy chronicles. i played origins for a little bit, but never made it too far into final fantasy i, although i made it much further than i did when i purchased the ds final fantasy iii- a game i had anticipated based on its consideration as one of the better games in the series, and at least the best of the nes era. i don't think i ever made it beyond the tutorial dungeon.

as for final fantasy iv, i did play it on the gba. i thought it was pretty stupid, especially with the convoluted ways characters leave and reenter the party. i made it to the lunar whale in 13 hours and was too underpowered and had gone beyond the point of no return, so i stopped playing it and i've never gone back.

my final final fantasy was final fantasy xii. it was a game i shelved after about ten hours of messing around and desperately trying to like it. it wasn't until sometime in 2007 that i gave it another chance and fell in love with the exploration and battle system. ffvi, ffix, and ffxii are still my favorites in the series.

since then, i've basically stopped keeping up. i still don't consider the online entries 'proper,' (i know) and i've decided not to play ffxiii based on the impressions i've heard. ffxv originally being ff versus xiii, and nomura's involvement don't inspire me with a lot of confidence, but i'll keep an eye out for it. especially if the ps4 is affordable by the time the game is out.

my current apathy towards final fantasy also started right around the time i was no longer interested in rpgs or anime in general. there was a period in 2006 where i was still playing and watching all sorts of things, and it seemed to drop off almost immediately the following year. i think i simply was excited to try a new thing, and from 2000-2006 had absorbed a lot of entertainment i hadn't before and was starting to become a lot more discerning in my tastes.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I don't think a lot of you folks are young because Corvo and I are the same age, and Noi and Levyne are a year younger than I am.

Really? Now I feel old.

Anyway, as a European I didn't have much choices for the series. If you count the spinoffs my first contact with FF was either Mystic Quest or Mystic Quest Legend (depending on how far you want to go with the spinoffs). I loved both games, but I didn't even know about the FF connections or even much about FF at all at that time. So most of my JRPG 16 bit era time I played other stuff like Lufia 2 or Illusion of Time and Terranigma, well, of course, and Secret of Mana.

The first mainline FF game I played was Final Fantasy 7 (aka the first FF released over here), which was basically the reason I sold all my SNES stuff and bought a PSX from it. A friend bought it first and I borrowed his console. I played it all the way up to the North Crater before I had to give it back and then I immediately bought the console. Later I remembered that I saw the game way before its (Western) release when someone played the Japanese version in a store I used to go to. I didn't know what it was he was playing back then, but he looked so damn happy playing it that I can still remember it today. Of course, nowadays I can understand him. Later Final Fantasy VIII was the reason I modded my PSX, so I could play it earlier...luckily my favorite store carried some imports, though I was one of the only people buying them. I remember that he had to order the FF Anthology specifically for me. So yeah, I had to catch up on the series on all the PSX versions, which might be why I don't like FF6 as much as most people do.

Holykael1

Banned
I grew up in a JRPG home where my brothers owned a ps1 and games like BoF3, FF7,8,9(they actually only owned bof3, ff7 and 9, 8 was lent to them by one of their friends). I was born in 1995 so I must have been 3-4 years old when I first saw Final Fantasy 7, I thought summons were the coolest things, like the dragon transformations in BoF3 were ofc. The FF 8 GF's blew my mind even more.(Oh I also saw them play a few other odd games like Legend of Legaia, The Unholy War that forever got stuck in my memory and ofc I was a huge fan of platformers like Crash Bandicoot, Super mario World and Super Mario Land)

These games captured my imagination like no other games did. Since I was born in a non english speaking country I didn't understand a single word in the games. I still managed to get up to the forest part in FF9 by instinct when I was like 6.

Fast forward to about 2005-7 and I already have a very basic knowledge of english(though I used a lot of guides to help me through some story blocks where you needed to do specific things that required you to know what the characters were saying), I managed to beat BoF3 on an emulator and then FF7 PC version and a few years later FF8 and 9 on emulators with some decent understanding of the english language(decent enough to get what was going on, not to mention that all of these games were a huge help in boosting my english skills), beating these games felt like gigantic achievements at the time, in the summer of 2010 FF X was the shit, put over 140 hours in it, Since then I have replayed all of these 5 games with leet english skills. So basically my first FF was 7 followed by 8,9 and 10.

In 2012 I started to get "back"(When I was 6-9 me and my cousin emulated snes and genesis on this very old computer at my grandma's, we had a lot of fun playing games like Super Bomberman and Battle Toads vs Double Dragon) into retro gaming/console gaming(I played MMO's for like 5 years between 2007-2012 and only played JRPG's during summer vacations abroad on my father's laptop through emulation or my good ol' PS2 that I got in 2004) and played all the older FF's through emulators(and bought FF 12 for my trusty ps2) or modern remakes like complete collection and the psp remakes, etc. Beating FF 6 during 2012 also opened up my interest to exploring the JRPG genre besides what I knew (BoF, FF, LoL and a few other odd ones).

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Man I'm trying to complete most of FFX but feels so much dragged and slow. I guess I'll end it before even getting close to it and just rush toward the ending like years ago. I don't know why many FFs have these long-stretched end-game stuff that really feels neither fun or accomplishing to do. FFX, X-2 and FFXII in particular are especially terrible at this. Let me complete this game 100% without wasting my time Square >_<

Holykael1

Banned
If you are not having fun 100% the game, why do you do it?
Is it because of some kind of OCD about getting Platinum trophies and/or for being a completionist?

Perfo

If you are not having fun 100% the game, why do you do it?
Is it because of some kind of OCD about getting Platinum trophies and/or for being a completionist?

Because it's the only game series I care for so I feel I should complete most of it... but when it's like this it feels terrible and bad designed. In Bravely Default I completed 99% of the stuff in 50hrs and I never felt bored doing any of it. In FFX it's just crazy.

Man, I guess I got on the FF train late. The first FF I knew about was FF 10. I watched my brother play a bit and was interested, but never got around to playing it. I was 8 at the time. The first FF I actually played was XIII. Before the 360 and PS3, my interaction with RPGs was more through the PC than anything else (Diablo, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Tournament, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, KOTOR II, etc). Really, the only JRPGs before XIII that I had played were Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Illusions of Gaia, and the Paper Mario series. I guess you could say that's why I'll always have a soft spot for XIII. My perspective has changed about it in the 5 years since I first played it (aka no longer an angsty teenager so some of the characters grate on me that didn't before and the manufactured melodrama can get annoying, I have a lot more problems with the overall writing, and subsequent playthroughs have made me realize how baffling some of the design decisions are) but I'll always remember it as my first FF.

Red Mage

Final Fantasy 1. I first played a friend's copy, and I wasn't allowed to save over his game, so I had to start over every time. So... I tried different party set ups, to see which I liked best. By the time I got my own copy, I was forever sold on Fighter / Black Belt / Red Mage / White Mage combo.

Perfo

Mine's fucked up. I remember I basically never played any jRPG before 1997. That year though FFVII was really big and on every magazine of the time, so you forced to get interested in it or at least noticing its existence. On a journey with my friend in the United States just in that year, I noticed in a videogame shop just that FF7 that everyone was talking about. But because I was a schemer, I didn't plan to buy it myself without being sure if it was good or not. So I invited and convinced my friend instead to buy it for himself so that I could see...

... and obviously I got pwned because the game was really cool and now I was jealous of him :D

I had to wait a couple of months to play his copy, in a language (english) that for the most I didn't even understand, but I got hooked and "platinumed" it eventually without understanding much of the story (my friend though helped here and there filling gaps for me).

Things got more complicated then, I skipped for years both FF8 and 9, went back to the series with 10 (hated it), abandoned it again until 11 (cool) and 12 (cool but with mixed reception). Only in 2006 with the announcement of FNC I went back playing everything else, got maniac for the series (started collecting it in that moment), retrogamed most of them, and waited for XIII like the Messiah. Ended up that XIII turned out one of my favorites videogame ever and FF my favorite series ever.

anf anf anf

Now FF15 plz.

I didn't noticed or cared for RPGs until a certain game introduced me to them.

And that game was.......

EarthBound_Box.jpg

I guess being a Nintendo fan got me out of my comfort zone to try a new type of game. Probably the reason why I played SMRPG,and being a big Mario fan.

Then the hype that was FFVII was too hard not to notice. But being a Nintendo fan left me out of the PS1 so I had to rent one to play this hyped game.
And I loved it of course.

Then I started hunting for the SNES FFs and thanks to Funcoland (a larval stage Gamestop) I got FF4 and 6. I liked 4, but loved 6.

If 4 wasn't ported so many times, then 6 would of been the one I've played the most.

Finally bought a PS1 to get the other new FFs that were coming and the ports.

And once I was up to speed, the series has not left my gaze.

Heropon

When I was a little kid we only had a computer so it was nice that the first FF released in Europe was released there too. I loved it but the PC liked to crash at the worst moments including during one of the last bosses and I didn't try to beat it then. Years later a friend lent me a copy of FFIX and I beat it in under a month, back then when I thought that it wasn't much time for completing an rpg. The next objective was defeating Ozma and I remember trying to beat it for days until I tried using those accesories that absorb shadow damage. That victory against that one superboss felt so satisfying that I had to tell my friend about it immediately. Thanks to the newfound confidence I tried shortly after to beat VII and managed it.

Later that year I would buy a PS2 with FFX after playing it at house of my friend and developing a certain obsession with it. Shortly after I bought X-2 (it was released like three months later) and my uncle bought me FFOrigins, my first foray into the classic games. I remember playing X-2 for months trying to get that mysterious last dressphere and when I bought its guide (it was my first strategy guide) my interest in it was reignited. After that I got IV, V and VIII, played them in that order and I loved them too. There wasn't a single game in the series that I didn't like.

The After Years

Porom's chapter felt like the developers had to dedicate a chapter to her and didn't really know what to do. The first half seemed like Palom's chapter -The Prequel- and all the dungeons are reused from other chapters so I didn't really enjoy this one. At least it provided some background information about other chapters but the "The Vanished Lunar Whale" wasn't there to be seen at all even if the chapter was named after it. The best thing was how it had more Kain schemes and Mysterious Girl whooping asses.

The challenge dungeon wasn't horrible even if it was a collection of dumb orders from NPCs. For some reason it started tamer than the other ones, I suppose it was because half of my party had a level 20 cap. The items there weren't really interesting and Porom only managed to reach level 30.

CorvoSol

Porom's chapter sucks because the first half is about Palom and the second half is about Kain. Nothing in Porom's chapter is about Porom, really.

So there's a new trailer for Final Fantasy Agito. It looks okay . . . for a phone game. Visually it's actually better than the PSP version, I think. Some new songs and characters in the trailer, I think? Anyway, I couldn't find the thread for this shit so I put it here.

SougoXIII

Corvo, why must you show me this, I'm trying my best to ignore this tragedy. At least I have SKyBladeCloud and his group's translation to look forward to. Magius, where you at? How's progress been going?

Holykael1

Banned
The framerate is kinda chaotic during combat in that agito vid. It's pretty unstable.A
Edit: wtf I got a tag lol. And it's from such an old post too.. And it's probably being misinterpreted but whatever xD.
Gotta read War and Peace now I guess and see what the fuss is all about.
If it's anything like "Memorial do Convento"(aka Baltasar and Blimunda) with an historical setting, 2d characters supposed to critique old times and obvious morality that was probably not so obvious at the time , It's going to be a borefest.

Holykael1

Banned
Haha, I guess that "not exclusive to video games" was a bit too much.

I guess.. Im not super qualified as far as literature goes but I still keep that stance with a straight face as far as film goes.. Im not claiming to be the end all be all of opinions either, it's just my opinion based on my personal experiences..
I don't particularly care for the "video game writing/storytelling is trash" mantra, it's a valid position to have but it's one I don't agree with. Being a video game with atmosphere, music and interactivity really elevate great video game narratives to a higher standard, it's just how I feel.
I have yet to experience a narrative as effective as 999(even if I think Xenogears is more ambitious and has bigger scope, that's different from quality). It might not have fancy writing but it has all the substance, emotion, intrigue and complexity I look for. Just me personally ofc, I really don't want to come off as pretentious.

Levyne

Banned
I guess.. Im not super qualified as far as literature goes but I still keep that stance with a straight face as far as film goes.. Im not claiming to be the end all be all of opinions either, it's just my opinion based on my personal experiences..
I don't particularly care for the "video game writing/storytelling is trash" mantra, it's a valid position to have but it's one I don't agree with. Being a video game with atmosphere, music and interactivity really elevate great video game narratives to a higher standard, it's just how I feel.
I have yet to experience a narrative as effective as 999(even if I think Xenogears is more ambitious and has bigger scope, that's different from quality). It might not have fancy writing but it has all the substance, emotion, intrigue and complexity I look for. Just me personally ofc, I really don't want to come off as pretentious.

Dude, just go with it. Some of us are still waiting to be tagged :)

Holykael1

Banned
Dude, just go with it. Some of us are still waiting to be tagged :)

I know, I actually think it's a funny tag, I just wanted to contextualize what I say a little bit more :p (There were people on twitter saying I was full of myself for saying this that's why I got a little defensive there :p)

Im quite proud of the tag and I don't have a problem in defending my stance :)

Heropon

Today I've advanced more than usual in this game and Edward's chapter has been completed. This chapter... it was press x to win in all it's glory and all thanks to having three boring soldiers, a boring secretary and Edward, who couldn't really do anything interesting because there simply was not any challenge. And the dungeons, sooo
un
interesting. At least the third trip through the waterway was shorter than usual.

This chapter scores a 2/10. I hope the challenge dungeon is better. It probably won't, I suppose. You can't do anything remotely interesting with that party composition.

CorvoSol

Today I've advanced more than usual in this game and Edward's chapter has been completed. This chapter... it was press x to win in all it's glory and all thanks to having three boring soldiers, a boring secretary and Edward, who couldn't really do anything interesting because there simply was not any challenge. And the dungeons, sooo
un
interesting. At least the third trip through the waterway was shorter than usual.

This chapter scores a 2/10. I hope the challenge dungeon is better. It probably won't, I suppose. You can't do anything remotely interesting with that party composition.

I seriously think you will have to do that waterway one more time in this game. But I could've sworn you had to do it twice in one chapter is all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
To be fair, as much as I appreciate and like my tag, it exemplifies the opposite of what I post sometimes, haha. I ramble on and on and on.

The coolest thing to come out of my tag was this, though, during SGDQ last year:

threeprincessessild8.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Are there any more Princess tags on gaf?

I wonder who tagged me, would be fun to know XD
Cyan's tag was a one-off because he'd posted, "Everyone with "princess" in their tag is dead to me" in the thread. :lol

since then, i've basically stopped keeping up. i still don't consider the online entries 'proper,' (i know) and i've decided not to play ffxiii based on the impressions i've heard. ffxv originally being ff versus xiii, and nomura's involvement don't inspire me with a lot of confidence, but i'll keep an eye out for it. especially if the ps4 is affordable by the time the game is out.
Did you end up selling your PS4 after launch?

Heropon

No, no, there are only 4 trips from my memory. If Porom sends you through it twice, that's that. Though I recall doing it once backward, too.

Porom: Kaypo -> Damcyan
Edward: Damcyan -> Kaypo, Kaypo -> Damcyan and Damcyan -> Kaypo but in the last Edward falls in a waterfall and goes directly to almost the other end of the waterway.

Prototype

I'm almost finished with ff4 on android and waiting for a sale on after years but I keep seeing ff dimensions, how is that game? all I know is that the game is mobile exclusive and that it uses the job system like five and three. What's the consensus here on dimensions?

SougoXIII

Game's pretty decent, in line of the likes of FFIII & IV. They gives you a decent amount jobs and abilities to mix and match. If I remember correctly, the pacing is a bit iffy but I don't seem to mind it so much.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy IV: The Waterfall Cave Years

I don't even know why that dungeon in particular got done. And what's more baffling is that they didn't need to do it, even if the story demanded repeated trips through that region. Look at Ceodore's Tale. They get to Mist and it's all "Oh shit mountains now what?" and Hooded Man is like "HERE IS A NEW DUNGEON" and that's that.

But NOOOOO. What's most ridiculous of all is that Edward had access to Hovercraft tech for 17 years and just does not use it here. I get the need for a dungeon but COME ON.

Also, if it isn't the Waterfall Cave it's the Meteor Crater. You go there as Gekkou, Yang, Man in Black and I think one other person.

Holykael1

Banned
You guys are so nice. Now I kinda understand why I got shit with my initial posts here. I was thinking the internet was all about angry/bitter people fighting but I guess there are exceptions everywhere :p

Holykael1

Banned
What did you post?

?

I didn't mean specifically here in this thread.. But I was trying to rebel against hate on Gaf for some reason lol

My initial involvement in this thread is a special case that I'd like to keep buried in the past, it's a result of misinterpretations and mistakes on both parties imo.

aravuus

I didn't mean specifically here in this thread.. But I was trying to rebel against hate on Gaf for some reason lol

My initial involvement in this thread is a special case that I'd like to keep buried in the past, it's a result of misinterpretations and mistakes on both parties imo.

Not doing a good job so far, you've peaked my interest lol

Cba to dig up your old posts though so I guess you got lucky this time!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know, I still have to play through FFD. >.>

I don't even know why that dungeon in particular got done. And what's more baffling is that they didn't need to do it, even if the story demanded repeated trips through that region. Look at Ceodore's Tale. They get to Mist and it's all "Oh shit mountains now what?" and Hooded Man is like "HERE IS A NEW DUNGEON" and that's that..
Because the other original dungeons are butt.

And everyone goes through here to Damcyan sometime because Edward has a crappy royal budget and couldn't fund a Hovercraft service for cheap.

yeah. i returned my xbox one to the store too. i have a principle about not buying systems over $300. i honestly don't know what i was thinking.
I wish I'd learned my lesson with the PS3. Even if I bought an open box one, it was still way more than I had intended to purchase it for and I even split the cost with someone. All for Devil May Cry 4 and PS2 software-enabled BC (even though I ended up buying a PS2 Slim to replace my phat because the PS3 BC ain't foolproof and I needed something to play Japanese PS2 games on anyway).

The Wii was an actual good buy on my part, though, because I'd never had a GameCube before, and I'd wanted both TWW and TP on the Wii launch anyway. Waited until the Wii U was $250 on a weird sale here last year to buy it, too.

PS4, though, I guess I wanted for the new tech, but I've only played Child of Light and AC4 with it and haven't touched my copy of Knack yet. And when I'd wanted to stream with it, I decided to wait until they removed the HDCP because I didn't like the interface it has natively. I thought I'd be able to afford to import Yakuza Ishin at the moment, but with Ao no Kiseki Evolution and Tales of Zestiria's JP release, I budgeted my money elsewhere. So, I dunno. I think I'd initially wanted it for Watch Dogs. Still do. The game still piques my curiosity.

Yeah, clean slate. Your posting style has mellowed out for the better.

Aha, to be honest? When I first started posting on GAF, I was really shy and felt like I didn't know as much as everyone else did, and based on having read the site since late 2007, I always felt like I had to walk on eggshells. That's why I refrained from posting in a lot of RPG threads until after a while. I mostly stuck around the platformer threads because they were easier to get into and the community was really great. This was before community threads were a thing, so half the time, announcement threads and OTs became kind of like community threads and most of the time you ended up posting in the same threads as the same people even if it was for a different game. It also had to do with the fact that GAF was smaller, so it was easier to know people by name, grammar, and posting style than avatar (for me, anyway).

I ended up posting more with a lot of these guys in the GAF Plays FF thread, for example. Other folks from TalesGAF until I started refraining from posting in Tales threads outside of import OTs. I got to know some people better and that's why it's much easier to joke around with them cuz I know they can take a joke and they know I can take a joke. Heck, I get along with Beef so well because we were in the same crop of juniors, and we posted in mostly the same threads at the beginning making the same jokes.

Going back through my initial posts, I was a lot more positive and cutesy back then. It's quite a stark difference between then and now, really.

Holykael1

Banned
Ah, you know, it's not that many pages back. Nothing really bad though.

Meh I just overreacted a little bit.. Probably because I was lurking the twitters before I started posting here and then I saw some things that incited my reactions and attitude.
In hindsight I was just coming off of a lot of fights and then it was just an amalgamation of things. Doesn't matter though. Like Schala said, clean slate.

Here is some Gold Saucer to clear the air:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMaGq6vn7hg

This was another place that just exploded my imagination when I watched my older brothers play games. I loved the happy go lucky music and the various attractions felt endless.. I thought that place was ginormous and it made me feel all giddy inside. This was all too much awesome for my 3-4 year old self to handle and it's a big fuel for my obsession with video games as an "adult". The thought of losing myself in these fantastical places full of awesome surreal things.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Usually RPGs always had casinos that mostly consist of card and dice games, which is nice, I think I spent just as much time in Lufia 2's casino as with the rest of game, but having (what felt like) a full blown theme park in a game really was mindblowing. And it was integrated into the story, too.
Though nowadays, when I go back to it, I usually don't really know what to do there, most of the stuff in it is pretty boring. And I think I never really got the highest score you needed for something in that rollercoaster game.

Top Bottom