• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

when i think about it, and remember how the main cast
literately stand there and let it happen all those times after knowing
and then i have to endure another chapter of this makes me bitter.

Yeah see, it happening the first time was frustrating, and the second time I'm like "oh okay fool me once" but I cannot imagine how I am going to respond to it happening a third and fourth time.

Yeah see, it happening the first time was frustrating, and the second time I'm like "oh okay fool me once" but I cannot imagine how I am going to respond to it happening a third and fourth time.

the only thing to look forward to is
challenging yourself with the coming boss combinations
. but its still pretty redundant and the most compelling story stuff is found in what you've mentioned already

Falk

that puzzling face
My thoughts in response. Actual BD spoilers

Actually, 7 and 8 are amazing compared to 5 and 6. 5 and 6, like you said, literally are carbon copy retellings of 1-4, except exploring one or two minor 'what if's, such as if Agnes' friend lived, or if Til survived instead of Tiz, and with EVERYTHING else mechanically and plot-wise being the same, which greatly outfactored those tiny morsels.

7 and 8 on the other hand, get really different, and the boss encounters (sans the crystal bosses) actually do bring something new to the table.

If the game had gone chapters 1-4, then right to 7, with the many slight differences in plot from 5-6 written in, just to hammer home the point that shit can happen differently, and then 8 with a wildly different story to wrap up (and throw a third, condensed repetition into the mix so that the multiverse actually does seem like a multiverse, rather than a single alternate dimension) the game would probably be perfect. Sure, it might still have dragged out somewhat, but not to the scale that people bitch about it right now. And I think I can live with that and call it a legitimately great throwback to old-school JRPG.

aravuus

Final Fantasy Type-0 Impressions up to Chapter 7 (first round)

Chapter 8 was dumb as all hell in my opinion so I'm interested in seeing how you like it.

Type-0 was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in the past year, I really hated quite a lot of things about it in the end. Seemed like a fantastic game in the beginning though.

Wazzy

Banned
Welcome back Corvo!

Too bad we missed the reactions to BD's big twist. It was definitely a "wait...WHAT?" moment when it firsts happens.

CorvoSol

Chapter 8 was dumb as all hell in my opinion so I'm interested in seeing how you like it.

Type-0 was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in the past year, I really hated quite a lot of things about it in the end. Seemed like a fantastic game in the beginning though.

I already know more or less the gist of it, since this is my fourth time through the game. It's the particulars I'm going to be interested in now. I still enjoy it quite a lot, but I think the game should've been done in such a way to incorporate all the NG+ stuff into the first playthrough, because a mandatory second playthrough is sorta so-so.

Welcome back Corvo!

Too bad we missed the reactions to BD's big twist. It was definitely a "wait...WHAT?" moment when it firsts happens.

Here is how it went down:

Corvo: Schala please tell me this isn't happening and that I am misunderstanding this.
Schala: :)
Corvo: Schala they're talking about
doing everything again
but that's a lie, right? We're not really going to do that, right?
Corvo: I'm finally up to part x in Chapter 5, does it get better?

:)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Thing with Chapter 8 IMO is that it just shows SE rushed the game out the door big time.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oh yeah, I'm sure it would have been a lot better if it wasn't rushed

But no matter the reason, as it is right now, it's horrible

Seems they have been doing that with a lot of their recent games. Bravely Default and Type 0 being big offenders. Whereas with Type 0 they seemed to not be able to come up with a good transition for that final stretch. They should have went into more detail with that final stretch of CH7.

And well BDFF takes a break from anything meaningful in the middle before slowly picking itself back up, when it could have easily just have been 5 chapters instead of 8.

I hope that Bravely Second amends this and I hope Type 0 HD fixes gameplay and story issues in the original version. And I personally think Type 0 would work better as a musou game since it basically plays like one.

CorvoSol

Honestly I think Type-0 struggles just a little at connecting its story points. I think the points it has are solid ones that make the narrative pretty solid, but the problem with the game is that I think it could stand some polishing to really help those points connect better. Chapter 8 and the True Ending are big examples of that.

That said, I still really love the game, and have high hopes for the HD version to correct these things, which are only really nitpicks in my view.

Wazzy

Banned
Here is how it went down:

Corvo: Schala please tell me this isn't happening and that I am misunderstanding this.
Corvo: Schala they're talking about
doing everything again
but that's a lie, right? We're not really going to do that, right?
Corvo: I'm finally up to part x in Chapter 5, does it get better?

PRSokgx.gif

So good.

todd360

I need help with final fantasy 14. I bought it on ps3 when it was on sale really cheap. Thinking I would just upgrade it to ps4 version. So eventually I upgraded when it was possible. I got a code to download it and everything. The problem is that the download has a $39.99 buy now thing on the application. When I start the game up its says I don't own the game or something like that. My service account says it is activated for ps4 though. I have no idea whats going on. Is it because I don't have a subscription for it at the moment?

Sorry if this is wrong thread for this. I couldn't find a specific 14 community thread.

edit: never mind.

Noi

I need help with final fantasy 14. I bought it on ps3 when it was on sale really cheap. Thinking I would just upgrade it to ps4 version. So eventually I upgraded when it was possible. I got a code to download it and everything. The problem is that the download has a $39.99 buy now thing on the application. When I start the game up its says I don't own the game or something like that. My service account says it is activated for ps4 though. I have no idea whats going on. Is it because I don't have a subscription for it at the moment?

Sorry if this is wrong thread for this. I couldn't find a specific 14 community thread.

Right over here.

Wazzy

Banned
Okay something weird happened. I was charged the $200+ for the order I made with all that stuff and the lanyard the day I ordered. I know because I checked my bank account to make sure it went through.

I looked today and suddenly my money is back but I think I've been charged for VIII PC because the same price appears on my transactions and there's a code available.

What's making me confused and worried is that they charged previously but now returned it and I'm not sure if that's because most of the order is preorders therefore they'll charge me after or if something else is going on.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy Type-0

So today I did the quest to get the airship, as well as
recruiting Quon into Class Zero.
Can I just say I really love the world map in this game? I suppose that technically it is small but they really, really managed to make the continent feel massive. I've seen it lobbed at towns that they're just hubs where people stand around, and I don't deny that, but I do ask: since when has that not been the case? I mean, pretty much all of the early towns in FF were exactly thus, and I will take such towns over FFXIII's LOLNOTOWNS and XIII-2's Academia. Also, I feel combat has seriously improved simply because I can read what is going on now. Now I know how to use phoenix downs, for instance, or what status effects do and what enemies have what status effects going on.

And the Airship quest itself is pretty awesome, guys. Like, you sneak down to the very end of Orience, flee from King Behemoths, and enter the ship. Milites looks like a combination of modern cities and FF6 steamtech, but the Airship is distinctly more sci-fi. Inside the player faces Iron Giants, which in my case were some 5 levels higher, and some of those bastards had regen! I don't suggest doing the quest this early unless you're experienced or have a high stock of phoenix downs! But now I can go anywhere in Orience I want, which will make doing all the stuff in the second round much easier.

Machina is a rat bastard at the moment, but I think I actually like him a lot more now than I thought I would. Although he does not avoid the troubled teenangster that we all know many an FF protag can be considered, there's more to him. Specifically,
since being branded a L'Cie, he's beginning to forget everything, and so he clings desperately to the only heavily imprinted emotional memories/impulses he has going on. Namely, to protect Rem at all costs, and to get revenge for his brother. I actually kind of like how driven by Izana's death Machina is, since his response to death is much better than the idea of not remembering anyone at all. Also glad they had Rem talk about how scary that is.

One of the more interesting points of the game, though, is how trusting "Class Zero" is of Arecia. By Class Zero I mean Ace through King, since Machina downright isn't trustful of anyone not named Rem and Rem, while trusting of her, does not take it as far. I find this fascinating because
Arecia's own relationship with the class is also fairly complicated. I mean, technically she's playing them just as much as Parliament is, but unlike Parliament, Arecia does seem to love them.
As an addition to the earlier conversation about Machina, one of the things I like about him is how
he gave Parliament shit for using him to spy on Class Zero. He goes along with their plans because they threaten Rem repeatedly, but I really like that for all that he goes along with it, Machina doesn't let these rats off easily.

I think my favorite party member so far is probably Trey. Jack is more fun to play as, but Trey is funny for being a know it all who gets things wrong at times. My favorite NPC is a toss up between Celestia and Kurasame. Kurasame's hair looks sorta dumb but I really admired the way he
marched to his death to take the fall for the kids without saying a word of it to anyone
, but I think Celestia trumps all because she's probably the game's biggest victim. She's a good soldier who is doing everything for the land she loves and believes in, and doing everything in this case entails
losing her child, and her humanity, and therefore her memories upon becoming a L'Cie, as well as watching as the king runs her nation into the ground.

Squire

Banned
So I've never played FFVI and I want to once I finish FFIX, I think (I'm at the start of Disc 3).

Should I get the PS1 port on PSN or the iOS remake?

CorvoSol

So I've never played FFVI and I want to once I finish FFIX, I think (I'm at the start of Disc 3).

Between those two you should get the PS1 port, but really you should get the SNES or GBA versions because the PS1 port has bad load times.

Prototype

Fantasy GAF, help me out.

just got After Years on my S5 and can't wait to play it (still never have), really excited to start it. FF4 is probably my favorite FF.

The app description reads (paraphrase) "start with Ceodore's tale then unlock the rest and play in any order."

Is there a recommended order to play them in? I don't care about missables, min maxing, or anything for my 1st playthrough. What I'd like to do is play them in the order that creates the most cohesive narrative. Is there a "right" order for a story playthrough?

Wazzy

Banned
I was rewatching some Distant World stuff(was feeling nostalgic from the time I went) and god Don't Be Afraid is the best part of the concert. The video everytime before the song starts that leads into the battle song is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJI0fEqaF_c

Such a good reaction.
They're planning on buying FF6, I think it's too late for regrets.
iHSg6Uz.gif

You're dooming him to the ultimate regret.

IOS is so bad. SO BAD.

Man don't sabotage the game, man! Why would you want someone to play something you think is bad in a way we all know is worse?

I'm trying to stop him.
XjYPRoO.png

PK Gaming

You should really try to get your hands on the GBA version, since it's the definitive almost definitive version of FF6. PSN port is a bust; the loading times are unbearable, and I wouldn't bother with the iOS version.

Turin

Banned
Question: Should I try out FF6, X-2 or give XII another shot(the story bored me after I got 1/3 of the way through it)?

Squire

Banned
Hehehehe, you all seem like a fun bunch.

Between those two you should get the PS1 port, but really you should get the SNES or GBA versions because the PS1 port has bad load times.

You should really try to get your hands on the GBA version, since it's the definitive almost definitive version of FF6. PSN port is a bust; the loading times are unbearable, and I wouldn't bother with the iOS version.

I don't really have the time to go to the lengths I'd need to, to play the GBA/SNES versions. I figured the iOS port was junk too, I just wanted to make sure. PSN is my only real option and I think I'm pretty lenient where load times are concerned, but just for my curiosity - how bad are we talking?

Also, another question I would appreciate help with: I'm making my second trip to
Black Mage Village
in FFIX and I'm curious if there's a good party configuration I should/could follow for the rest of the game? Should I try to keep everyone on par? Only person missing right now is
Beatrix
and I'm sure she'll pop up soon enough.

CorvoSol

I always just went with Zidane/Steiner/Vivi/Garnet. I mean if Thief/Fighter/BM/WM got me through FF1 then it should get me through FF9, too.

Now if only there were TMs in FF9 so I could cast haste on the game's battle system.

Squire

Banned
I always just went with Zidane/Steiner/Vivi/Garnet. I mean if Thief/Fighter/BM/WM got me through FF1 then it should get me through FF9, too.

Now if only there were TMs in FF9 so I could cast haste on the game's battle system.

It's funny you should mention that. I was talking to Seda and some other guys this weekend about the game and they mentioned people thinking it's slow. Perhaps my expectations are set to "PS1 game", but apart from some moments (getting hit from the back is the worst) I don't think it's all that slow. I'm finishing fights pretty quickly I feel. Could just be me though. I saw some people say in that FFX thread last week that that game is slow and I actually think that one moves at a pretty tight clip.

CorvoSol

It's funny you should mention that. I was talking to Seda and some other guys this weekend about the game and they mentioned people thinking it's slow. Perhaps my expectations are set to "PS1 game", but apart from some moments (getting hit from the back is the worst) I don't think it's all that slow. I'm finishing fights pretty quickly I feel. Could just be me though. I saw some people say in that FFX thread last week that that game is slow and I actually think that one moves at a pretty tight clip.

The real problem I think is that there are many long animations in FF9, and the ATB bar fills considerably slower than in FF8 and FF7. It isn't horrible, but it's not as quick as I'd like my battles to move. FFXIII does a lot wrong, but I think the pace at which combat moves in that game is good.

Final Fantasy Type-0

Just hit Chapter 8 and yeah, like I've said. A lot of great story points here that are just not connected as well as they should be. They really throw a lot at you and some of it is explained in the wrong order. The one major point I want to talk about though, that I would say is a failing on the game's part, is
the Akashic records. That's a huge deal for them to drop minutes before the final dungeon. That should have been hinted at before this. The time loop works because they build up to it with Cater's deja vu, but the whole prophecy of Agito and the Akashic records could stand to be better explained.

The best way to approach this, I suppose is to assume that this is the midpoint of the game and not the ending, since a second playthrough really is necessary. There's something to be said regarding that decision itself that I will leave be for the moment,
considering that playthrough the second, unlike a certain other game I'm playing, actually manages to significantly change the missions undertaken and add a lot to the story at every turn, from what I recall.
It's better, but it's still a questionable design decision.

All in all, while I now understand better why people were cooled on their feelings toward this game, I still love it to death.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
All in all, while I now understand better why people were cooled on their feelings toward this game, I still love it to death.

While flawed I still think it is the best FF of the FNC mythos. When I start XIV in August my tune might change. GILGAMESH the man.

Wazzy

Banned
Question: Should I try out FF6, X-2 or give XII another shot(the story bored me after I got 1/3 of the way through it)?

I say give X-2 a try and then go back to XII.

It's fun and really cheesy but super charming because of it. A couple fan service crap that's annoying but otherwise the game is great. The battle system is the best in the series and the music is fantastic.

PK Gaming

Hehehehe, you all seem like a fun bunch.

I don't really have the time to go to the lengths I'd need to, to play the GBA/SNES versions. I figured the iOS port was junk too, I just wanted to make sure. PSN is my only real option and I think I'm pretty lenient where load times are concerned, but just for my curiosity - how bad are we talking?

Also, another question I would appreciate help with: I'm making my second trip to
Black Mage Village
in FFIX and I'm curious if there's a good party configuration I should/could follow for the rest of the game? Should I try to keep everyone on par? Only person missing right now is
Beatrix

It's playable, but the game has to load before every battle and navigating through the menu is cumbersome. If you've really got no other alternative and you can handle FFIX's battle load times, I think you'll be ok.

Battle formation wise, you can pretty much use any combination and make it through the game ok. Eiko, Quina and Amarant are generally regarded as the betters characters (and if you intend on using Quina, you should probably have been gathering some Blue Mage skills) Don't be dissuaded from using who you like.

Squire

Banned
It's playable, but the game has to load before every battle and navigating through the menu is cumbersome. If you've really got no other alternative and you can handle FFIX's battle load times, I think you'll be ok.

Battle formation wise, you can pretty much use any combination and make it through the game ok. Eiko, Quina and Amarant are generally regarded as the betters characters (and if you intend on using Quina, you should probably have been gathering some Blue Mage skills) Don't be dissuaded from using who you like.

Awesome. The game isn't too hard, but it's not a cake walk; You need to be attentive and I like that. The difficulty seems balanced. I also like how you don't get EXP from boss fights. Makes it OK for those fights to end with some characters having been KO'd.

Without spoilers (obviously) is there anything I should know/be worried about for the final boss? Is it a big jump in difficulty?

The only thing you need to worry about with the final boss is
Grand Cross, which gives everyone a ton of status ailments.
Overall, the final boss, isn't that difficult.

Man don't sabotage the game, man! Why would you want someone to play something you think is bad in a way we all know is worse?
Because I'm a villain, remember?
Black Mage Village
Beatrix

I like Eiko more than Dagger because of Dualcast White, but that FF1 party seems solid and balanced. A little later on in the game, if you don't mind spending 20-30 minutes grinding out Grand Dragons, then you can max out Freya's Dragon Crest for 9999 damage a pop. They get killed by Quina's Level 5 Death, so it's a walk in the park.

Turin

Banned
I say give X-2 a try and then go back to XII.

It's fun and really cheesy but super charming because of it. A couple fan service crap that's annoying but otherwise the game is great. The battle system is the best in the series and the music is fantastic.

Very well.

9fa528ccc6d0f403836def90a05b07024793722a3fb0bbd6373b16d6a599442c.jpg

CorvoSol

Because I'm a villain, remember?

I like Eiko more than Dagger because of Dualcast White, but that FF1 party seems solid and balanced. A little later on in the game, if you don't mind spending 20-30 minutes grinding out Grand Dragons, then you can max out Freya's Dragon Crest for 9999 damage a pop. They get killed by Quina's Level 5 Death, so it's a walk in the park.

Professor Beef is the final boss of Final Fantasy Community Thread. If you beat him you get to watch as Krile gets all the credit for your victory in the ending.

CorvoSol

Oh you and your Krile hate Corvo.

Imagine with me if Penelo had showed up as an ace sky pirate who could speak with forests, had an intimate understanding of the art of war and was also a princess descended from the Dynast King. She one shots Venat in her first scene, and at the end of the game Ashe, Balthier, Fran, Vaan and Basch are all cameo appearances as she narrates a letter to Larsa about herself and how much she misses everybody and then the closing scene is the whole world throwing her a birthday party.

What a great ending.

Top Bottom